New turf in The Ralph

Beerball

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these new turfs are quite aesthetic and, I'm sure, the safest they can be. Gotta say though, as an old fart, I pine for the days of real home field advantages. Places like Metropolitan Stadium in Minnestota, Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, Shea, Municipal Stadium in KC. The home team really had an advantage -knowing the low spots, the right cleat depending on the weather, etc.

I know there's no going back, but I miss it. At games end today, the players still look like they're ready to take a team photo. Back in the day -at games' end- you could hardly tell the home team team from the visitor. It was even a figure of football speech: "The QB really got his uniform dirty today!"..

sigh..

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/OJbuf1.jpg

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/BChnadlerBuf.jpg

Edited by nucci

Maybe because they decided to get real Field Turf instead of the cheap knock-off they got a while back?

Ralph's Old Man Syndrome was on high throttle.

Costs a lot more to have to do work twice b/c you went cheap on materials.

Actually, at the time, a FieldTurf rep was complaining that the Bills (read: Tom Donahoe) never contacted them, and they could have given them a better deal than AstroTurf did.

Interesting. Maybe I'll submit a bid for a mixture of Kentucky bluegrass and northern California sensimilla.

In WNY? That'd never work. KY Bluegrass isn't that strong of a breed outside of the Miami Valley/Kentucky region.

KY31, with some innoculated lespedeza and ladino clover is my suggestion. As a side show we can graze Buffalo on the field on the high protein levels of clover!

Also, if we go artificial turf, I say we rip of Boise State and get a solid red field! We can claim it's not paint just the last opponents blood.

In WNY? That'd never work. KY Bluegrass isn't that strong of a breed outside of the Miami Valley/Kentucky region.

KY31, with some innoculated lespedeza and ladino clover is my suggestion. As a side show we can graze Buffalo on the field on the high protein levels of clover!

Also, if we go artificial turf, I say we rip of Boise State and get a solid red field! We can claim it's not paint just the last opponents blood.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.katu.com/images/100128_ewu_red_turf.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.katu.com/news/weird/82958152.html&usg=__P3rjRYH6jxFu0e0_du_DRSQj53g=&h=304&w=405&sz=47&hl=en&start=5&zoom=1&tbnid=ytAKz9FRDDYceM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&ei=VxpaTeiUHIT58Aal0eyADQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Deastern%2Bwashington%2Bfootball%2Bfield%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1014%26bih%3D516%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1

Bringing the red end zone red back? I hope so, we haven't been able to find it since we switched over to green!

One would think they could paint ANY type of turf, including the existing turf. Clearly, end zone color is not a driver in the decision to replace. Since our turf is rated among the lowest in the league, I suspect it has more to do with upgrading the overall image of the team for NFL players (i.e., free agents).

Um, the County pays for improvements like this.

Maybe they'll fix the heated seats in the clubs too while they're at it.

As I mentioned earlier, the manufacturer of our turf field went bankrupt for awhile after the installation at the Ralph.

I recall a Buffalo News article stating that the heated club level seats could not be repaired because the manufacturer of those seats also went out of business. The curse of the Bills?

As was mentioned, Erie County pays for the turf. The most likely reason for the substandard condition of the playing surface is that it has endured the wear and tear of 8 NFL seasons.

You're welcome. Had to throw your boy Bobby C in there.

Yep! Thanks! That was in the Rockpile, but the Juice pic was from '74 -Rich Stadium era (Charging Buffalo w/old sleeve stripes). Any idea where that game was played? I'm guessing Miami as they wore white @ home.

Considering changing my avatar to your C#81 pic, but I don't want to lose the Leg Lamp to some newb.. :devil:

Actually, at the time, a FieldTurf rep was complaining that the Bills (read: Tom Donahoe) never contacted them, and they could have given them a better deal than AstroTurf did.

As I mentioned earlier, the manufacturer of our turf field went bankrupt for awhile after the installation at the Ralph.

I recall a Buffalo News article stating that the heated club level seats could not be repaired because the manufacturer of those seats also went out of business. The curse of the Bills?

As was mentioned, Erie County pays for the turf. The most likely reason for the substandard condition of the playing surface is that it has endured the wear and tear of 8 NFL seasons.

thanks guys. I'm not one to beat the "Ralph is cheap" drum, i just found it odd back in 2002 that when Field Turf seemed to be the industry standard and was installed in lots of stadiums, the Bills chose to go with the knockoff "Field Turph" to put in the stadium.

So it was erie county being stupid?

No. The curse of picking the supplier based strictly on who was the lowest bid.

Companies on the verge of bankruptcy will make sweetheart deals because they are desperate for any income.

But ultimately the reasons for them being near bankruptcy in the first place prevail and they go out of business.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yep! Thanks! That was in the Rockpile, but the Juice pic was from '74 -Rich Stadium era (Charging Buffalo w/old sleeve stripes). Any idea where that game was played? I'm guessing Miami as they wore white @ home.

Considering changing my avatar to your C#81 pic, but I don't want to lose the Leg Lamp to some newb.. :devil:

Not sure about the OJ pic. Didn't the Orange Bowl have artificial turf for a few years in the '70s? Don't worry about the lamp. The Chandler pic is cool.

Make the 9 Billion dollar a year NFL pay for the new freaking turf.

Why should the NFL have to pay for it? Classic case of Donahoe going to show how smart he was. Every other friggen team went with the field turf, Donahoe had to be different & go with this Astro Play sh*t. I think it was voted one of the worst surfaces in the league last year.

thanks guys. I'm not one to beat the "Ralph is cheap" drum, i just found it odd back in 2002 that when Field Turf seemed to be the industry standard and was installed in lots of stadiums, the Bills chose to go with the knockoff "Field Turph" to put in the stadium.

So it was erie county being stupid?

No it was Donahoe's decision. & it was him just wanting to be different. I even remember him bad mouthing the field turf saying the astro turf was a much better product. It had nothing to do with money, it had everything to do with Donahoe's ego.

Why should the NFL have to pay for it? Classic case of Donahoe going to show how smart he was. Every other friggen team went with the field turf, Donahoe had to be different & go with this Astro Play sh*t. I think it was voted one of the worst surfaces in the league last year.

No it was Donahoe's decision. & it was him just wanting to be different. I even remember him bad mouthing the field turf saying the astro turf was a much better product. It had nothing to do with money, it had everything to do with Donahoe's ego.

So in your opinion the county wasn't responsible for the installation in '03?