how many of you that don't like us taking a corner at 3...

Drew026

Every cornerback Revis included can be exposed when there is no pass rush. And he better be a good run defender because teams run all day on this defense. We have other needs that are more immediate. If Ralph spent some of his Toronto profits on some Free Agents, I am all for luxury picks.

Wake up bro. Jets don't have a pass rush. They'd be first to admit it. They'll also tell you they were awfully fortunate to have Revis and Cromatie playing man to allow them to blitz a lot, making up for their lack of a pass rusher.

Geez, some of the comments on this board are soooo misinformed, it's shocking.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it really matters a whole lot who you havae in the 2ndary when your

D-line gaves up 200 yards / game rushing.

I think we saw that last couple years.

Besides, instead of loading up on DBs every year ala Jauron, load up on D-linemen

instead. See how the team magically gets better!

:thumbsup:

I am wide awake. Rex Ryan is known for his blitz packages which are there to pressure the passer. Passes come out faster, timing is thrown off. Sacks are not the only measure of defense. The Bills need to "pressure the passer" and stop the run with a better talent level up front before they add DB's.

Wake up bro. Jets don't have a pass rush. They'd be first to admit it. They'll also tell you they were awfully fortunate to have Revis and Cromatie playing man to allow them to blitz a lot, making up for their lack of a pass rusher.

I am wide awake. Rex Ryan is known for his blitz packages which are there to pressure the passer. Passes come out faster, timing is thrown off. Sacks are not the only measure of defense. The Bills need to "pressure the passer" and stop the run with a better talent level up front before they add DB's.

If they dont have the best pair of man cover DBs in the league they cant get away with all those blitzes. If blitzing all the time were that simple, everyone would do it

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Why not take a CB at #3?

First of all, I think you make the assumption that this one player is going to put the Bills into contention. Not too likely. Otherwise, I don't see why building a foundation of defensive backs and running backs would in any way appeal to a Bills fan.

If it's not your premise that Peterson will become a franchise changing player in year one, and even if it is I guess....... then you've clearly forgotten a lesson that should be ingrained into our subconscious here: if you don't have good big people, your skill players get abused and don't produce.

Peterson, while a big corner, is a skill player. In your head, you probably envision him shutting down Santonio Holmes, Wes Welker and Brandon Marshall. In reality, on this team, the worst run defense in the NFL, he would be primarily a run defender. You want to know why McGee got old so fast? Ask him about his shoulders. Run support wears out corners.

IMO, it is a foolish time for the Bills to use their highest draft pick in 25 years on a defensive back. Foolish. IF they go defense, it should be front 7. Get your run defense and pass rush in order and then you can look at adding players to the SECONDARY.

It's true. Well said. A corner is like a city building luxury condos before they have electricity and water...sometimes you have to have the building blocks before the frills.

Also, his return game is a big part of his hype IMO and we don't see those perks with mckelvin, spiller, parrish, McGee and Jackson....

Parrish has been an all time great NFL punt returner And spiller/mckelvin are all time great NCAA returners....

Have actually seen Peterson play?

You're just as likely to find a solid pass rusher in the 2nd round as you are at the top of the first, and there is no clear cut QB worth taking at 3. Our secondary is equally depleted as our pass rushing at the moment and you do not want to be relying on McGee who is aging VERY quickly and an inconsistent McKelvin. Patterson can be our Revis and at the same time letting our pass rushers get more time to get after the QB. There shouldn't even be a moment in our heads where we completely throw out the idea of drafting this kid IMO. We're in need of stars and guys who have no questions coming in. He IM0 is the closest thing to a sure thing as there is of the top 5 available players.

yeah Peterson sorry. I am playing NBA 2k right now also and I have Patrick Patterson on my team, and his name was in my head haha

The player I want to draft is Fairly. We need to stop the run and pressure the QB and he can do both.

I would not mind drafting Peterson but the expectations are going to be that he becomes a Pro Bowl shut down corner. McGee is aging, McKelvin is inconsistent, Florence might be going, Corner is a decent backup, Youboty is always injured .... CB could be a need. This is a passing league.

I do not agree on the pass rusher comment. I don't think they are easy to find in any round at least not for the Buffalo Bills. Since 1985 we drafted Bruce Smith and Aaron Schobel ... how many other great pass rushers can you name that were actually drafted by the Bills?

You're just as likely to find a solid pass rusher in the 2nd round as you are at the top of the first, and there is no clear cut QB worth taking at 3. Our secondary is equally depleted as our pass rushing at the moment and you do not want to be relying on McGee who is aging VERY quickly and an inconsistent McKelvin. Patterson can be our Revis and at the same time letting our pass rushers get more time to get after the QB. There shouldn't even be a moment in our heads where we completely throw out the idea of drafting this kid IMO. We're in need of stars and guys who have no questions coming in. He IM0 is the closest thing to a sure thing as there is of the top 5 available players.

yeah Peterson sorry. I am playing NBA 2k right now also and I have Patrick Patterson on my team, and his name was in my head haha

I've seen him play plenty...He's good...The Bills don't Need another CB...They are a Team with SO many Needs, taking a CB at #3 would be incredibly stupid unless the Kid end up being the next Deion, C. Woodson, R. Woodson, or Revis...The chances of that are REAL slim, and again it's not a pressing Need...

If The Bills take a CB at #3 that may very well be the straw that breaks my back with this Team... Seriously...Enough is enough... B-)

I do not agree on the pass rusher comment. I don't think they are easy to find in any round at least not for the Buffalo Bills. Since 1985 we drafted Bruce Smith and Aaron Schobel ... how many other great pass rushers can you name that were actually drafted by the Bills?

Well, you got Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, and Aaron Maybin to get the conversation started. :ph34r: Denney actually had a decent year, not getting cut by the Texans until October. :D

Sorry this team needs to build its foundation and that is the lines, I won't be depressed if we take him but we have been taking this route for to long and it's time take care of the big men.

If The Bills take a CB at #3 that may very well be the straw that breaks my back with this Team... Seriously...Enough is enough... B-)

The franchise will be all but shot if they draft a corner with a #3, and I sincerely mean this. Even if he is a great player his help to this weak team would be miniscule, and ticket sales/fan interest would decline even more. Selecting Green would be almost as dumb.

The fact that Nix drafted 2 linemen after throwing away the #9 on Spiller offers us a ray of hope against stupidity. This is what we have to cling to at this point.

The franchise will be all but shot if they draft a corner with a #3, and I sincerely mean this. Even if he is a great player his help to this weak team would be miniscule, and ticket sales/fan interest would decline even more. Selecting Green would be almost as dumb.

The fact that Nix drafted 2 linemen after throwing away the #9 on Spiller offers us a ray of hope against stupidity. This is what we have to cling to at this point.

lol yeah, passing on the 2 guys that have the greatest HoF potential BY FAR would certainly spell the end ... :doh:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

lol yeah, passing on the 2 guys that have the greatest HoF potential BY FAR would certainly spell the end ... :doh:

HOF potential? Says who? If you think this, I give you credit for making a prediction, but I completely disagree. A CB, no matter how good he is, cannot cover the wr for an unlimited time period. On the Bills, CBs are busy trying to tackle rbs that broke through the front seven, seemingly at will.

As for a wideout at #3, the need for a QB, LT, or even RT is greater. To put it in perspective, Spiller might not suck on a team with a strong OL and good foundation.

Btw, did you also like Spiller at #9?

HOF potential? Says who? If you think this, I give you credit for making a prediction, but I completely disagree. A CB, no matter how good he is, cannot cover the wr for an unlimited time period. On the Bills, CBs are busy trying to tackle rbs that broke through the front seven, seemingly at will.

As for a wideout at #3, the need for a QB, LT, or even RT is greater. To put it in perspective, Spiller might not suck on a team with a strong OL and good foundation.

Btw, did you also like Spiller at #9?

Better than that reach of a DE/OLB Maybin @ 11!

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If they dont have the best pair of man cover DBs in the league they cant get away with all those blitzes. If blitzing all the time were that simple, everyone would do it

Joe, you're correct that the Jets don't have a single dominant pass rusher - a Clay Matthews type.

The picture that they have no pass rush and would be the 1st to admit it, does not follow.

The Jets had 40 sacks, 8 th in the league. They had 5 players with 4 or more sacks, 3 LB, a DE, and one DB.

With Pace and Taylor swapping off ROLB, the ROLB position had 10.5 sacks, an INT and 2 fumbles recovered

That doesn't fit the picture of Jets only pressuring the QB via the safety blitz.

Cold Hard Football Facts gives Jets a "Defensive Hogs" (measure of DL quality) rating of 4th in the league linky.

While arguably the DB contribute, they ain't all that.

You're right that if blitzing all the time were that simple, everyone would do it.

Quality of DB coverage is important, you have to actually have a DL that is GOOD at pressure to get away with it though.

PS liked your previous avatars better

Edited by Hopeful

The Jets get pressure thru creative blitz packages, play tough run defense and cover well. They are a well rounded defense lead by one of the best defensive gameplanners in the NFL. If you think a corner is the only difference between the Bills defense and the Jets....wrong.

As for people being misinformed, I think you are the one who is misinformed. You clearly don't know your history.

The Bills have drafted 8 DB's in round 1 since 1990, which also happens to be the point where the franchise stopped adding great players and started patching holes.

JD Williams

Henry Jones

Thomas Smith

Jeff Burris

Antoine Winfield

Nate Clements

Donte Whitner

Leodis McKelvin

That's about 40% of the Bills #1 picks going to DB's since the organization was at it's peak of acquiring talent.

Not surprisingly, the Bills declined. They couldn't rebuild because they let their lines and QB situation erode and their best efforts to repair the situations have been thru free agency and trades which have yielded, at best, only short term results.

I said it before, the Bills have drafted over a dozen RB's with their first pick since their inception in 1960 and since then, they have drafted just 1 QB with their first overall selection. One in 51 years. And that was in their first year, 1960(Richie Lucas)! That is just f'd up long term strategy.

The DB thing is another example. Eight db's in 20 years? Crazy.

How is that working out? Do you really think all those guys were not hyped and heralded like Peterson?

JD Williams was a legit 4.3 guy who was an incredible track athlete. Because of that, he was supposed to be the next Rod Woodson in the same way that CJ Spiller was supposed to be the next Chris Johnson and Donte the next Bob Sanders( or Peterson the next Revis!).

Antoine Winfield was considered by some to be the next Darrell Green. Antoine has had a good career, but he has fallen WAY short of any such comparison. Nate and Donte were 20 year old phenoms who were only going to get GREATER. Leodis was the consensus top corner in the draft.

So Patrick Peterson is a likely HOF'er? Yeah, so was Quentin Jammer.

The Jets get pressure thru creative blitz packages, play tough run defense and cover well. They are a well rounded defense lead by one of the best defensive gameplanners in the NFL. If you think a corner is the only difference between the Bills defense and the Jets....wrong.

As for people being misinformed, I think you are the one who is misinformed. You clearly don't know your history.

The Bills have drafted 8 DB's in round 1 since 1990, which also happens to be the point where the franchise stopped adding great players and started patching holes.

JD Williams

Henry Jones

Thomas Smith

Jeff Burris

Antoine Winfield

Nate Clements

Donte Whitner

Leodis McKelvin

That's about 40% of the Bills #1 picks going to DB's since the organization was at it's peak of acquiring talent.

Not surprisingly, the Bills declined. They couldn't rebuild because they let their lines and QB situation erode and their best efforts to repair the situations have been thru free agency and trades which have yielded, at best, only short term results.

I said it before, the Bills have drafted over a dozen RB's with their first pick since their inception in 1960 and since then, they have drafted just 1 QB with their first overall selection. One in 51 years. And that was in their first year, 1960(Richie Lucas)! That is just f'd up long term strategy.

The DB thing is another example. Eight db's in 20 years? Crazy.

How is that working out? Do you really think all those guys were not hyped and heralded like Peterson?

JD Williams was a legit 4.3 guy who was an incredible track athlete. Because of that, he was supposed to be the next Rod Woodson in the same way that CJ Spiller was supposed to be the next Chris Johnson and Donte the next Bob Sanders( or Peterson the next Revis!).

Antoine Winfield was considered by some to be the next Darrell Green. Antoine has had a good career, but he has fallen WAY short of any such comparison. Nate and Donte were 20 year old phenoms who were only going to get GREATER. Leodis was the consensus top corner in the draft.

So Patrick Peterson is a likely HOF'er? Yeah, so was Quentin Jammer.

Very good points.

In your 21 year view how many first round picks were QBs? I can think of only Losman (bust). How many were DL? How about Flowers (bust), McCargo (bust) and Maybin (bust so far). How many were OL? I can think of Fina (solid starter), Rueben Brown (Pro Bowler), Mike Williams (bust) and Eric Wood (solid starter).

In 21 years and only 8 players taken in the first round from critical position QB, OL and DL.

We can't find Kelly's replacement and we have hardly tried.

Edited by Bob in STL