Two franchises looking for a new Head Coach...

SDS

Jauron was horrible for sure. But given the ownership situation, the front office, and the roster situation, do you really think McCarthy would have done any better?

It's the same problem as the other thread. Had we drafted Rodgers or Roethlisberger they would have likely been the next Losman.

Jauron was horrible for sure. But given the ownership situation, the front office, and the roster situation, do you really think McCarthy would have done any better?

It's the same problem as the other thread. Had we drafted Rodgers or Roethlisberger they would have likely been the next Losman.

As I said in the other thread, that idea is absolute nonsense.

Yes, I'm sure everyone was thinking McCarthy was going to be a great HC'ing prospect, coming off that 2005 season as 49ers' OC where they ranked last in yards and 3rd last in points scored. Even his time in NO as OC saw him lead the offense to 1 top-5 finish in his 5 seasons there, with the rest being middle of the pack.

As for Rodgers, 23 teams passed on him, and the Bills selected a QB in the 1st round the year before. But yes, hindsight IS great.

McCarthy thought Alex Smith was the better choice between Rodgers/Smith, hahaha. So confident in Rodgers that they drafted Brohm! Sometimes things just work out.

Jauron should have never been hired, but McCarthy would've probably suffered the same fate here without a good front office to make decisions for him.

More good points.

While you are talking about the good points he is hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. There is no doubt that a good coach becomes a better coach when working for an organization with a strong front office and support system.

Jauron should have never been hired, but McCarthy would've probably suffered the same fate here without a good front office to make decisions for him.

As long as you've got a front office and players, there's nothing else you need to win in the NFL. Don't need a HC, that's for sure because they don't draw up game-plans or decide whom to start. And while we're at it, let's credit McCarthy as SF's OC in 2005 for advocating Smith over Rodgers. It's not like those same front office people making decisions don't have the overwhelming say about whom to draft, leaving the OC to make the call.

:wallbash:

While you are talking about the good points he is hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. There is no doubt that a good coach becomes a better coach when working for an organization with a strong front office and support system.

We already covered the hindsight thing, John. ;)

We already covered the hindsight thing, John. ;)

You are simply too defensive. I'm not referring to hindsight when I am making the point about the necessity of having a strong organization to be successful. What is fundamental in hindsight is also fundamental now and in the future. Even you can't disagree with something so obvious? Or can you? :rolleyes:

Good. I can't get enough of these "what-might-have-been" threads. I was afraid folks would run out of ideas. :doh:

PTR

and I can't get enough of snarky replies that don't add crap to the discussion. Thanks for your valuable contribution.

You are simply too defensive. I'm not referring to hindsight when I am making the point about the necessity of having a strong organization to be successful. What is fundamental in hindsight is also fundamental now and in the future. Even you can't disagree with something so obvious? Or can you? :rolleyes:

What makes the Packers so strong John?

the other hires Dick Jauron.

:oops:

Without a better scouting department and an owner willing to pay free agents including his own, McCarthy (and Gailey for that matter) would have shared the same fate as Jauron, Mularkey, and Williams.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful