National Anthem

Toledo Bill

USAF fighters flying over the enclosed stadium.

Did that really happen? If so it gets the uberlulz.

As a matter of great timing, Daniel Tosh gave a 'Web Redemption" last week on Tosh.0 to the girl who forgot the lyrics in Portland before a TrailBlazers/Mavericks NBA Playoff game. (cannot link to it right now) As her redemption she sang the National Anthem at an Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks game. Daniel held up cue cards for the girl while she sang. I couldn't help but think of this bit after realizing Aguilera butchered the lyrics.

She actually did a bang up job with the exception of climbing the octaves on "land of the free."

I think the WC has the right idea. Play an instrumental and let the fans sing if they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG61wLD2Yr0&feature=related

Edited by NyQuil

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part of that song, which it is my all time favorite, is the ending land of the free and home of the brave. That is the only part of the song that really means anything. She did a great job. If you want to complain about something complain about most of the millionaires on the sideline acting like they could give a dam. That was way more disrespectful than that girl missing a few words.

Dude. She said twilight's last reaming.

I will say this in her defense- I don't think she was trying to make any kind of statement, like Rosanne Barr did. She lost a line in the moment- it happens. Only thing that bothered me is she has no business changing it to something it isn't.

If the people on the sidelines were being disrespectful, that is a whole other issue.

Outside of the game itself, everything about the Super Bowl was an unmitigated disaster.

The talentless singing, worst halftime show in at least a decade, USAF fighters flying over the enclosed stadium.

F to the A to the I to the L.

How about Jerry Jones installing temporary seating (and the NFL selling those seats at $800 per) but not getting the necessary safety inspections done?!?! 400 of the 1250 people affected didn't even get to see the game!

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6096112&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

I've just never understood the connection between a game and the national anthem. It's understandable for the Olympics or World Cup, where multiple nations are competing. An eighth-grade basketball game between rival small-town schools? Not sure. The pledge, at most, will do just fine.

The National Anthem should be part of our social fabric in every thing we do. The love of country is passed on many ways, one of which is see others in our communities sing it together.

I've never heard a powerful instrumental of our national anthem. I've also never really liked the music it's set to, so maybe I'm biased, but I've always thought that other nations' anthems were far superior to ours, composition-wise.

For comparison, the Soviet anthem and The Star-Spangled Banner (both instrumentals).

And here's a version of the Soviet anthem sung by the Red Army Choir: Linky

You really are a godless Communist.

If it's played by a military marching band, there is no better way to have the anthem heard. All of this "queen of soul" bullshyt mangling up of the national anthem can take a hike.

The National Anthem should be part of our social fabric in every thing we do. The love of country is passed on many ways, one of which is see others in our communities sing it together.

I am going to get blown up on here for this, but eff it. Well the pledge of allegiance worked well on you. I am sure at 8 the purpose of you saying the pledge in class was because you felt so compelled to give your gratification to a country you couldnt even understand yet. Singing the National Anthem before sporting events, adn the Pledge in 3rd grade are all attempts at creating a blinding nationalism from a very young age. While I agree there should be times when we show pride, support, and allegiance towards our country, lets get off of our high horse and take into account the origin behind its ritual.

While I didnt think the anthem was particularly great, I would never go out to say that she did anything to pay a purposeful disrespect to the country. We are a nation founded because of who we are and because we have our own personal beliefs. We forget that alot. Me, Aguilara, or yourself can take the country and the song and the pledge and turn it into what ever it means to us. This love it or leave it seems so mideival to me. Infact it seems far less patriotic, being that our individualaity and freedom is what this country is founded on.

EXTRA ONE: To who ever made the Idol comment. I know ivy league educated profesionals and doctors at the highest level of their fields who watch American Idol for entertainment. It must be hard work being so serious and patriotic all the time.

I HATE AMERICAN IDOL

You really are a godless Communist.

If it's played by a military marching band, there is no better way to have the anthem heard. All of this "queen of soul" bullshyt mangling up of the national anthem can take a hike.

Communist? How dare you, sir? :D

If it makes you feel better, there's nothing like 80,000 drunken English football fans singing "God Save the Queen." And my favorite would have to be

. Those minor notes are badass.

You sound like a North Korean.

In America, if I want to say I hate this ridiculous tune that nobody can sing (failing the first prerequisite to be a unifying anthem) and won't stand up for it, then THAT's being an American, too.

Our wretched anthem is only reverential because it's been beaten into our skulls since birth. We could change the anthem to "Welcome to the Jungle" tomorrow and in 30 years, people would still stand up and weep for joy as the flag is raised (this time also pounding their ThunderStix together).

First of all I can't sing a note on key and unlike most pop stars I don't pretend that I can. But I can read music and the song that Aguilera sang last night does not resemble the Star Spangled Banner. The addition of her own convulsive inflections are just not there nor should they be. There are two reasons for this. 1) She does not have the vocal talent to sing the relatively demanding song. She is a POP singer and her own vocals never hit the human ear. They are heavily processed to reduce the abnormalities of her voice and make them sound the same every time. The talent is of the engineers that made the equipment. 2) She made the performance about her and not about the patriotic experience of performing the National Anthem at one of the country's biggest sporting event of the year.

As to America the Beautiful for the national anthem. You'll never get God past the ACLU besides the song is more a celebration of the land than the American spirit. Try My Country tis of Thee, which was the defacto anthem until the politicians got involved and appointed the Star Spangled Banner the anthem. IMO a better representative of what makes the US and Americans unique.

By the way. Whitney Houston couldn't read music either. She was better at adding her own inflections so they weren't quite so obnoxious. And when she did deviate she didn't change half an octave at a time, she changed a note or two. Best idea i've heard was to bring in a chorus from the military service to perform. My own idea would be to hold auditions in the local area to find someone to sing it.

Besides screwing up the words, can the NFL please... PLEASE get someone that sings it in the manner in which it is supposed to be sung. I know I am possibly being old fashioned, but come on! You get a guy like the one that sang the anthem at the two Chicago playoff games... now that will be patriotic!!!!!!

Nobody will beat Whitney. Best rendition EVER!

Besides screwing up the words, can the NFL please... PLEASE get someone that sings it in the manner in which it is supposed to be sung. I know I am possibly being old fashioned, but come on! You get a guy like the one that sang the anthem at the two Chicago playoff games... now that will be patriotic!!!!!!

No you are not being old fashion to voice your opinion. I don't even care if it sounds patriotic I just think the correct words would be nice. That was a horrible performance that literally drove me out of the room.

Lots of people at work today talked about it and not one person liked it.

Edited by Bob in STL

:lol:

The problem with these renditions (and that includes the bimbo who butchered God Bless America in the same fashion), is that those songs are actually supposed to have a discernible melody! It's as though these idiots are not capable of singing it as written so they just fake it and call it their "take" on the song.

There is no talent in screeching at the top of your lungs, 'talent' is the ability to read and vocally interpret the music the way it was written.

Are you talking about this bimbo and

?

Edited by Scraps