Perfect time for new ownership

uticaclub

With all the CBA and the new LA team, this is the perfect time for an announcement with someone saying they're buying the bills and keeping them in western new york for a while, and make sure that we don't the raw end of any agreements and will be able to complete with everyone in the NFL no matter what marketer their win, Just a thought imagine if people actually bid on the bills and someone from Buffalo ended up winning showing everyone we are serious about winning in the new NFL

With all the CBA and the new LA team, this is the perfect time for an announcement with someone saying they're buying the bills and keeping them in western new york for a while, and make sure that we don't the raw end of any agreements and will be able to complete with everyone in the NFL no matter what marketer their win, Just a thought imagine if people actually bid on the bills and someone from Buffalo ended up winning showing everyone we are serious about winning in the new NFL

Here is what you, me and everyone else knows about the Bills' new ownership "deal". After Ralph Wilson dies, his heirs will sell the team. Now, that seems to be an easy fact to understand. I know I understood about 1 second after Wilson announced this a couple years ago. So for your take to make any logical sense, you have to change your thread to "Perfect time for Ralph to die." To me, that's a tad on the morbid side. In general, all these threads and opinions and rumors about Wilson selling to anyone before he dies are a complete waste of time to discuss.

So for anyone else reading this repeat after me......."First Ralph dies, then the Bills get sold." If you say it to yourself over and over, it should take hold. It's only 8 words, most of the members out here should be able to memorize it. :doh:

Edited by BillsPhan

Uhhh.....WTF??

Here is what you, me and everyone else knows about the Bills' new ownership "deal". After Ralph Wilson dies, his heirs will sell the team. Now, that seems to be an easy fact to understand. I know I understood about 1 second after Wilson announced this a couple years ago. So for your take to make any logical sense, you have to change your thread to "Perfect time for Ralph to die." To me, that's a tad on the morbid side. In general, all these threads and opinions and rumors about Wilson selling to anyone before he dies are a complete waste of time to discuss.

So for anyone else reading this repeat after me......."First Ralph dies, then the Bills get sold." If you say it to yourself over and over, it should take hold. It's only 8 words, most of the members out here should be able to memorize it. :doh:

good stuff,,,,, although I only made to the 7th

Totally disagree. RW has stated all along that is what will happen, however until he actually dies, we don't know that. The team could pass on to his wife totally estate tax free. Previously it has been stated she has no interest in owning the team. Have not heard that publicly stated as of late i nregards to that. Maybe she's changed her mind. She also could own the team but make someone else CEO, another president adnd essentially be a silent owner. (Probably something Roger Godell would welcome these days a silent owner) While the NFL may not like it, and not want to approve a silent owner, I'd imagine it would take years of court battles for someone to agree that the power of the NFL supecedes someones will.

My response above is pure speculation as is anyone else who claims to "know" what is going to happen. Unless RW has sat down and shared his will with you, you don't know. This is just another potential direction things could go in.

If Ralph were to sell the team while he's still alive, he can set the price to whatever he wants, even $1. But if the sale takes place after he's dead, the courts and attorneys will play a major role in the sale price. My guess is that his heirs will try to maximize how much they make by putting the team up for bids.

If RW's widow were willing to sell at a "bargain price" to someone who will keep the team local, it's likely that other heirs would sue. So the sale price after his death is most likely to be high, perhaps too high for the new owner to make money in the WNY market.

If, as is most likely, the team is sold to the highest bidder, that new owner could very well be AEG as Los Angeles seems to be the only major market that both doesn't have an NFL franchise, and is capable of generating enough money to make a high sale price viable.

If RW wants the team to stay in WNY after his death, then he should sell now.

If Ralph were to sell the team while he's still alive, he can set the price to whatever he wants, even $1. But if the sale takes place after he's dead, the courts and attorneys will play a major role in the sale price. My guess is that his heirs will try to maximize how much they make by putting the team up for bids.

If RW's widow were willing to sell at a "bargain price" to someone who will keep the team local, it's likely that other heirs would sue. So the sale price after his death is most likely to be high, perhaps too high for the new owner to make money in the WNY market.

If, as is most likely, the team is sold to the highest bidder, that new owner could very well be AEG as Los Angeles seems to be the only major market that both doesn't have an NFL franchise, and is capable of generating enough money to make a high sale price viable.

If RW wants the team to stay in WNY after his death, then he should sell now.

While I get your point, Ralph can't sell the team for substantially less than market value, because the other owners won't allow it. And he doesn't want to sell the team as he probably feels it has something to do with his mortality. Bottom line is, it's his team.

While I get your point, Ralph can't sell the team for substantially less than market value, because the other owners won't allow it. And he doesn't want to sell the team as he probably feels it has something to do with his mortality. Bottom line is, it's his team.

Excuse me? RW heirs can sell the team for anything they choose to sell it for. The other NFL owners have no say whatsoever. This is still America buddy.

Mu using a $1 was of course an extreme example and I'm pretty sure that if RW were to sell the team for a buck he'd be sued by his potential heirs. However, while he's still alive he could sell the team for a price that would be less than what the market would bear in a post-mortem bidding situation but still substantial enough to satisfy his heirs, the league and be reasonable enough that the team could financially justify staying local. He could also have the satisfaction of choosing his successor, a not-insignificant consideration for the prideful RW.

If he doesn't take steps before he dies to do that -- which it seems he hasn't done -- then all bets are off, though it's much more likely that the team will sell for far more money, probably to out-of-town interests who would then move the team.

In case anyone doesn’t remember what Ralph Wilson stated publicly, he is not leaving the team to any family members, and anything not left to someone becomes public property, which WILL be auctioned off to the highest bidder. His heirs will have no say in what happens to the team, as it is not being left to his surviving family, thus clearing them from any gains taxes they might incur if it was left to them, but completely removing them from being able to make any decisions as to what happens to it. If His surviving family wanted to take ownership of the team, they will in fact have to bid on the team just like everyone else.

This is fact, not speculation, as long as his intentions for the fate of the team have not changed. All other discussions about his family selling the team to a local investor are a scenario that cannot happen. Ralph Wilson has put the state of the franchise once he passes in the worst possible scenario for Buffalo by not leaving the team to his family. If you think what he currently has in place is anything but a low down, dirty and selfish final act, and that there is any other possible outcome after he passes you are kidding yourselves.

If the team is to stay in Buffalo, which doesn’t look promising, Ralph needs to rethink his plan, and do something right for a change. I am not a very big fan of Ralph Wilson, I’m sure most will not share this sentiment, but I have always seen him as a greedy, selfish, meddling business owner who’s real concern is to make profit, and winning has always been an ancillary concern. Don’t agree? Fine, but take a look at the startling fact that this franchise has roughly a 63% losing rate. Not enough to sway you? OK… how about selling the team’s soul to the Devil for 78 million dollars to play games in a stadium in Canada. Last time I checked, season ticket sales and turnstile count has been among the league’s best over the last 10 years despite fielding some of the worst, most embarrassing pieces of crap he called a team in 30 years, and that's saying something.

The best we as true Buffalo loving Bills fans can hope is that someone steps up and buys the team with the intention of keeping it where it belongs, and winning. You can disagree if you like, pat him on the back for all he has done for WNY, but I see it differently.

Edited by McKinleys Curse

Excuse me? RW heirs can sell the team for anything they choose to sell it for. The other NFL owners have no say whatsoever. This is still America buddy.

Actually, they can't. Any sale of an NFL team must be met with the approval of 3/4 of the other franchise owners.

Link

Don't try to apply the workings of the real world on the NFL. You'll usually be wrong.

In case anyone doesn’t remember what Ralph Wilson stated publicly, he is not leaving the team to any family members, and anything not left to someone becomes public property, which WILL be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

There are so many things wrong with that first sentence that the rest of your argument suffers.

It may be that RW has said that his family does not want the team, though that may indeed change. Nevertheless, that does not mean that he plans on dying intestate and making the team "public property." That is a silly statement. It does mean the heirs will probably sell the team, either to pay estate taxes or just because they don't want it. They can sell for any price they choose (as long as it is close enough to market value to satisfy the NFL owners). They are not, and nowhere anywhere in any way does that mean that it automatically goes to the highest bidder. It may, but it may not, if other factors intervene. There are many examples of sports teams not being sold to the highest bidder--most recently, the Buffalo Sabres.

So, go back to your conspiracy theories, Mr. President. And avoid anarchists with outstretched hands.

How would you feel when all the above happens and ticket prices double (which they absolutely will)?

Actually, they can't. Any sale of an NFL team must be met with the approval of 3/4 of the other franchise owners.

Link

Don't try to apply the workings of the real world on the NFL. You'll usually be wrong.

Thank you.

There are so many things wrong with that first sentence that the rest of your argument suffers.

And thank you.

It may be that RW has said that his family does not want the team, though that may indeed change. Nevertheless, that does not mean that he plans on dying intestate and making the team "public property." That is a silly statement. It does mean the heirs will probably sell the team, either to pay estate taxes or just because they don't want it. They can sell for any price they choose (as long as it is close enough to market value to satisfy the NFL owners). They are not, and nowhere anywhere in any way does that mean that it automatically goes to the highest bidder. It may, but it may not, if other factors intervene. There are many examples of sports teams not being sold to the highest bidder--most recently, the Buffalo Sabres.

So, go back to your conspiracy theories, Mr. President. And avoid anarchists with outstretched hands.

I may not have clearly stated that he didn't account for it in his will, thank you for so childishly pointing that out, but where speculation does come into play is whether it states in his will that he is not leaving the team to his family, which he has, in fact publicly stated his intention to have the team placed up for sale, but not confirmed legally. In which case my previous point still stands.

I was wrong about unaccounted for assets in a will going to the state, after I researched further, surviving family members can even inherit debt that was not specified in a will.

Thanks for keeping the boards safe from error, you're doing great, keep up the good work.

There's never a shortage of people around here who feel it necessary to disagree in the most childish, small minded ways, thanks for keeping the status quo.