Nate Newton is skinny

Albany,n.y.

I was watching Real Sports last night and they did a segment on 300 + pound linemen in the NFL. They showed clips from years ago showing interviews with former players who got even heavier after the NFL. Two of them died young.

Then they showed Nate Newton. The guy had stomach surgery in 2010 to restrict his food intake and he's lost about 180+ pounds. There's no way anyone who hasn't seen the new Newton would ever believe he was an NFL O-lineman who weighed well over 300 pounds. At his worst, he ended up around 400 pounds after he left the NFL. I couldn't find any clips from the HBO show, but if you scroll down on the link, you'll see the current version of Nate Newton:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Former-Cowboys-star-Nate-Newton-has-lost-175-pou?urn=nfl-282606

I was watching Real Sports last night and they did a segment on 300 + pound linemen in the NFL. They showed clips from years ago showing interviews with former players who got even heavier after the NFL. Two of them died young.

Then they showed Nate Newton. The guy had stomach surgery in 2010 to restrict his food intake and he's lost about 180+ pounds. There's no way anyone who hasn't seen the new Newton would ever believe he was an NFL O-lineman who weighed well over 300 pounds. At his worst, he ended up around 400 pounds after he left the NFL. I couldn't find any clips from the HBO show, but if you scroll down on the link, you'll see the current version of Nate Newton:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Former-Cowboys-star-Nate-Newton-has-lost-175-pou?urn=nfl-282606

Good for Nate, I'm sure that surgery added at least 10-15 years to his life!

I saw that on Real Sport as well. It was both fascinating and eye opening. If you get a chance to see it, I recommend it. You would never recognize Nate Newton and you will be saddened about what happened to Norman Hand and others.

There also is a segment about how certain players have blown through all of their money -- including a former Bill. I hope that professional athletes from all sports watch that segment as well and learn a lesson about how to approach their finances. Unfortunately, I suspect that players blowing all of their money will be a continuing story.

I think that in a few years (if not sooner) the league office is going to be looking at weight issues of players like they are with concussions now.

I don't think this will happen. Player size is the coin of the realm.

It's really more up to the union than the league office to look after the health and welfare of its players AFTER they finish their playing careers. In my opinion, this is just one of many areas where the NFLPA has failed. Ironically the NFLPA has also failed its members in the area of head injuries.

It's laughable to me (in a very sad way) that the commissioner's office is the party which has spearheaded player safety…and that the NFLPA membership is the one crying and bellyaching about rules that are aimed at actually making their occupation safer.

The NFLPA has been very myopic in terms of just chasing the money (which admittedly is their major function) while ignoring many of the other issues. The more I read about the problems former players have in terms of long-term health insurance, permanent disability, financial woes ("the 60% rule"), physical and mental health issues, the lack of consideration for long-retired members, etc. the more I see that the union is failing its members.

Anyways, I digress.

Whoever takes the lead in the issue of player weights, the actual issue is not so much what a player weighs while playing but what he weighs after he's done playing.

Hopefully the NFLPA doesn't fail its members yet again.

I agree the league is not interested in player weights while they are playing. These guys didn't arrive to the league morbidly obese. At least they get some regular exercise and have access to the best medical in the world at their beck and call.

The union has no professional leadership. Smith is a shyster brought in to negotiate a new CBA--and he is failing miserably at that. These guys are on their own.

Thank goodness for the gastric bypass operation!

God bless him..probably added 30 yrs to his life.More guys should consider that.

Im my biz I treat several ex-pro football guys-ex-raiders mostly due to the area I'm in.

Its really not a pretty picture with these guys and their health. Most seem way older than their real age

-even the smaller speed guys.

Edited by Tcali

"Back in the day," it seems most of the really big linemen were obese. One of the startling things I've noticed in the last few years is how fit so many are today. You see a 6'6", 320 pound guy and he's "cut." Yeah, there are still fat guys around (B.J. Raji for example). But it's amazing to me how many of the "big boys" are not.

"Back in the day," it seems most of the really big linemen were obese. One of the startling things I've noticed in the last few years is how fit so many are today. You see a 6'6", 320 pound guy and he's "cut." Yeah, there are still fat guys around (B.J. Raji for example). But it's amazing to me how many of the "big boys" are not.

I was thinking similarly on this as well. Our own, Alex Carrington is a big boy in the 285-290 range and may still grwo a bit more (weight wise), and he is anything but fat.

I wonder if the league/NFLPA would ever consider body fat maximums? Seems, this would be helpful to the players while playing and after.