Packers fan fired from Chicago-area job

The guy sold 14 cars in a month.

I didn't see anybody mention that this guy was out for publicity.......He had the job for 6 weeks!.....And, somehow it's all over the internet the day after he gets fired.

I didn't just type this, so it would get ignored at the bottom of the last page. (I'll let it get ignored on this page)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Progressive discipline could have been used here, but I guess that dealership doesn't send it's bosses to any leadership training?

He asked him to take off the tie twice, it's not like the guy wasn't given a chance. I agree the boss sounds like a dick, but as I've stated throughout this thread, salesman need to make their customers trust and like them. Wearing a Packers tie in Chicago could be an obstacle to that goal.

To allow him to wear it before the game, but not after the game is silly. I bet there wouldn't have been an issue if the Bears had won the game and he wore it then. This is school yard BS... The boss should have a grown man about it all. Worst case is, you tell the guy he is relieved from work that day, and you'd like to meet with him the next time he comes into work to discuss "appropriate attire and sensitivity". Progressive discipline could have been used here, but I guess that dealership doesn't send it's bosses to any leadership training?

I agree and am surprised there wasn't a blanket policy prohibiting the wearing of team apparel. I don't go to dealerships very often (usually to pick up parts) but I've never seen a salesperson dressed less than professionally, and never seen any of them wearing anything expressing an opinion or favorite team. Generally salespeople try to connect with the customer and even wearing the home team's apparel may turn a customer off if they're not a fan or dislike football.

That being said, if your boss calls you into the office as soon as you get in and tells you to change your tie, then tells you later again in the day, do you just ignore him and assume it's a joke?

Not if that court is in Chicago. Again, we're talking about a job where the sole skill is to make people like you and trust you. You don't do that by wearing a Packers tie in Chicago. It's just common sense.

let's put this in perspective.

we are talking about sports here.

the guy wasn't wearing a swastika. he wasn't wearing anything with a profanity on it. this wasn't some pro or anti-abortion guy. this wasn't a jihadi tie. it wasn't something racist. i could go on. ...

people, this was a sports team, which in my world shouldn't be cause for dismissal. and yet, there are places in this world -- india-pakistan cricket, south american soccer rivalries, south african soccer rivalries, english soccer rivalries -- where people get beat up or killed for wearing the wrong colors.

is this what this the model of society north america should adopt, where people actually get fired for wearing a harmless tie?

puh-leaze. it's sports. it's not a national security matter or cancer research.

some perspective, please.

jw

the guy wasn't wearing a swastika. he wasn't wearing anything with a profanity on it. this wasn't some pro or anti-abortion guy. this wasn't a jihadi tie. it wasn't something racist. i could go on. ...

people, this was a sports team, which in my world shouldn't be cause for dismissal. and yet, there are places in this world -- india-pakistan cricket, south american soccer rivalries, south african soccer rivalries, english soccer rivalries -- where people get beat up or killed for wearing the wrong colors.

is this what this the model of society north america should adopt, where people actually get fired for wearing a harmless tie?

jw

While I agree it's just sports, i disagree that it wasn't a big deal. I work in sales and marketing, the sole purpose of a salesman's existence is to develop a relationship with someone. You are selling the car as much as you are selling your appearance, customer service, and likability. The car on their lot that gets 30 MPG is the same car that gets 30 MPG on someone elses lot. You are selling the intangibles of your dealership and you are selling the experience. If even one person left the dealership that day because the tie put them off, then it is a big deal. While most of us live in the lovely world of rationality, dealing with customer service issues has given me a unique perspective that not everyone who is a current or perspective client, lives such a grounded existence. Also, his job is at-will employment, meaning either side can terminate the relationship at any time. His boss issued a direct request to remove the tie, he didn't. He had a choice and was given every opportunity to remove it, and he didn't. Do i think it's stupid he was fired for wearing a tie, yes. But I can understand the rationale behind it.

jw

It's also only a job. The man was was fired, not executed.

jw

perspective is required. we're not talking about sports. we're talking about sales. it's a ****ty job, that requires doing whatever you can to get the customer to like you. if the boss thought that the tie was an obstacle in any way to this guy having customers in chicago like him, then he's justified in asking him to take it off. and justfied in firing the guy when he refused. if it's some other job, i don't feel the same way.

Edited by Captain Caveman

So when a Superior gives you an order you just say ahhh I don't like that one...He does it again, you blow him off again...There would be no consequences??? That's the point his BOSS told him chose the tie or the job he chose the tie, HIS CHOICE.

Thank you for your service to our country.

I have a legal obligation to obey LEGAL orders by a superior officer. The same rules apply EVERY day, not when he/she sees fit and NEVER for "personal" reasons. There was not anything that said he couldn't wear the tie, the boss was just a little thin skinned puss.

He asked him to take off the tie twice, it's not like the guy wasn't given a chance. I agree the boss sounds like a dick, but as I've stated throughout this thread, salesman need to make their customers trust and like them. Wearing a Packers tie in Chicago could be an obstacle to that goal.

I wont argue that it was a foolish thing to do, but I will argue that the employee had every right to wear appropriate attire. So now we're going to give every boss in the country the authority to tell you what to wear to work? And, I'm not talking about jobs that have a set uniform or dress and appearance code. If that dealership has one and he violated it, fine. But, if it was never an issue to wear the tie before, and the "boss" has a hissy fit because his team lost.... well, that's pathetic.

ok, i dislike the yankees.

i don't think i'd not buy a car from a guy wearing a yankees tie. i might make a reference to how they choked to the red sox in losing a 3-0 lead, but if the guy was fair with me on the business of selling a car, i wouldn't hold it against him.

and there's the rub. he was wearing a tie. obviously, the packers won. and yet, for some reason, chicago still stood, the trains ran, the traffic moved, deep-dish pizza was made.

have a little bit of fun with it.

"yeah, they beat us," i'd say if i were a bears fan. "guess you might be getting a few comments about the tie."

oh well.

and this business about how the dealership did some sponsorship work with the bears is a non-starter in my opinion.

i don't think the bears marketing staff left the offices en masse to check with all their partners to see who was being loyal to the team and not. nor, do i think they care. in fact, i think the bears might re-think working with this dealership again given the negative publicity it has received over what happened.

and to the point of whether this guy was seeking publicity or not. publicity wasn't warranted if he had not been fired. the action by his boss led to the publicity. and good for him for exposing a kneejerk boss.

and let's remember, it's the dealership that is being hurt the most.

if i read this correctly, this guy was a good salesman, sold like 14 cars in six weeks. not a bad track record if you ask me.

so, they lose a good seller, and get knocked for being small-minded for firing a guy for wearing a tie a weekend after his grandmother died and at a time when the economy is still tough.

seems a little short-sighted to me.

but what do i know, i treat sports as being something relatively tame when regarding the big picture, even though it is what i do.

jw

I have a legal obligation to obey LEGAL orders by a superior officer. The same rules apply EVERY day, not when he/she sees fit and NEVER for "personal" reasons. There was not anything that said he couldn't wear the tie, the boss was just a little thin skinned puss.

I wont argue that it was a foolish thing to do, but I will argue that the employee had every right to wear appropriate attire. So now we're going to give every boss in the country the authority to tell you what to wear to work? And, I'm not talking about jobs that have a set uniform or dress and appearance code. If that dealership has one and he violated it, fine. But, if it was never an issue to wear the tie before, and the "boss" has a hissy fit because his team lost.... well, that's pathetic.

It was inappropriate. How would you look upon a car dealership that let's it's salesmen where a Giants tie the day after Super Bowl XXV?

The salesman did it to draw attention to himself and get himself on TV.

ok, i dislike the yankees.

i don't think i'd not buy a car from a guy wearing a yankees tie. i might make a reference to how they choked to the red sox in losing a 3-0 lead, but if the guy was fair with me on the business of selling a car, i wouldn't hold it against him.

jw

John,

I think you're absolutely correct to not let that Yankee tie factor into your decision. For the most part, I behave in the same manner. But as someone who has worked in sales, I know that not all people are as reasonable. And it's not a salesman's job to make make those people be reasonable. It's his (or her) job to sell stuff.

John,

I think you're absolutely correct to not let that Yankee tie factor into your decision. For the most part, I behave in the same manner. But as someone who has worked in sales, I know that not all people are as reasonable. And it's not a salesman's job to make make those people be reasonable. It's his (or her) job to sell stuff.

fair enough. thing is, the salesman and the boss are at fault for creating a mountain out of an anthill. and in my opinion, the boss and the dealership are the ones who come off looking more small and closed-minded in this occurence.

jw

#1- this is gonna generate an awful lot of free advertising which will result in increased car sales.

#2- in two weeks the guy fired will get his job back.

only took two days to offer his job back......he refused:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dece8a/article/fired-chicagoarea-car-salesman-refuses-offer-to-return?module=HP_headlines

It was inappropriate. How would you look upon a car dealership that let's it's salesmen where wear a Giants tie the day after Super Bowl XXV?

The salesman did it to draw attention to himself and get himself on TV.

Assuming it's in Buffalo? I'd say congrats, and probably discuss the game. Really, is a tie THAT big of a deal? now if the guy was walking around rubbing peoples faces in it like a dick, I could see that being an issue. If there wasn't a ban on team attire at the dealership, than the boss was an ass for firing him. The guy was a good salesman, and like I said, the boss could have sent him home. The salesman stood by his prinicpals when there was no LEGAL reason for him to change.

Edited by McD

You'd make a lousy salesman.

The qualities that make someone a "good" salesman are precisely the ones that make me hate dealing with them. There's a reason why most people hate shopping for things like cars and mattresses.

The qualities that make someone a "good" salesman are precisely the ones that make me hate dealing with them. There's a reason why most people hate shopping for things like cars and mattresses.

But it doesn't stop them from purchasing cars and mattresses, so the good salesmen will continue to thrive, no matter how much you don't like dealing with them.