Tell me again what wins championships?

Chandler#81

Per ESPN this morning.

..and where do our beloved Bills rank??

Granted, stats can be manipulated to reinforce any stance. But getting off the field on 3rd down is essential to winning. While I expect our FO to aggressively target D upgrades this off season, a quicker ascention up the D rankings can occur with turnovers. The Bills were abysmal in this regard all season. Just watching these playoffs, the BALL is targeted every play by defenders. Our guys just seem to always go for the lower leg 'wrap up' to tackle. Our guys are good at tackling, but after the whistle blows, the ref is usually signaling 1st down.

Teaching, focusing and increasing our turnovers will go a long way towards improving our 'stat soft' run defense. With this emphasis, defenses CAN greatly improve in one season.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always believed the three most important factors in winning a football game and also having a winning formula for the season are:

1) Turnover ratio (both offense and defense)

2) 3rd down conversion % (offense)

3) pressure on the opposing QB without having to blitz (defense)

So having said that...both the O and D are equally important imo. You need an above average O just to get to the final 4 in the NFL. Having an above average to very good D will push you over the hump to win the SB.

Per ESPN this morning.

Granted, stats can be manipulated to reinforce any stance. But getting off the field on 3rd down is essential to winning. While I expect our FO to aggressively target D upgrades this off season, a quicker ascention up the D rankings can occur with turnovers. The Bills were abysmal in this regard all season. Just watching these playoffs, the BALL is targeted every play by defenders. Our guys just seem to always go for the lower leg 'wrap up' to tackle. Our guys are good at tackling, but after the whistle blows, the ref is usually signaling 1st down.

Teaching, focusing and increasing our turnovers will go a long way towards improving our 'stat soft' run defense. With this emphasis, defenses CAN greatly improve in one season.

Actually something that irks me is the amount of back-tackling our guys do. Whitner is especially prone to this.

Per ESPN this morning.

You know what else wins championships for cold weather teams? Running the football successfully. Big Ben only attempted 19 passes last night, and the Packers outran the Bears.

The Jets out ran NE, the Ravens outran the Chiefs, Pitt out ran Balt., and so on. I'm not sure, but I think that the team with the most rushing yardage won every game played in the cold in the playoffs.

This could be us, but this franchise tends to use top draft selections on running backs, defensive backs, and various gadget players to sell tickets.

When Bryce Paup and Big Ted were here, our defense was as good as just about any, but we had no blocking. The need for a good qb goes without saying. After that, cold weather teams need to be able to sustain a ground game in the elements, and of course stop their opponents from running all over them. Green Bay is in the superbowl because of Rodgers, and the fact that they clicked on front seven defensive players and offensive linemen.

They got their scatback in round 6. We got ours with the 8th selection, and there are weak OTs in front of him. This sort of tells the story too, wouldn't you agree?

You know what else wins championships for cold weather teams? Running the football successfully. Big Ben only attempted 19 passes last night, and the Packers outran the Bears.

The Jets out ran NE, the Ravens outran the Chiefs, Pitt out ran Balt., and so on. I'm not sure, but I think that the team with the most rushing yardage won every game played in the cold in the playoffs.

This could be us, but this franchise tends to use top draft selections on running backs, defensive backs, and various gadget players to sell tickets.

When Bryce Paup and Big Ted were here, our defense was as good as just about any, but we had no blocking. The need for a good qb goes without saying. After that, cold weather teams need to be able to sustain a ground game in the elements, and of course stop their opponents from running all over them. Green Bay is in the superbowl because of Rodgers, and the fact that they clicked on front seven defensive players and offensive linemen.

They got their scatback in round 6. We got ours with the 8th selection, and there are weak OTs in front of him. This sort of tells the story too, wouldn't you agree?

Exactly ... running the ball and stopping the run ... that's what wins.

There is no doubt about it with Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers and that defense are the main reasons for their success. Having a great defense - which Pittsburgh also demonstrated, but which Green Bay has, too, is so important for the length of the season, especially if we go to 18 games. Offenses, and offensive players like QB's, can have up and down games, but the Defense is usually a constant, and can win you games.

But, Aaron Rodgers, throughout this playoffs, has been just invincible. I really love that that whole team is just about drafted and raised up in Green Bay. Anyway, they do something real important in Green Bay in the passing game - and, when you listen to Chan Gailey it sounds like he wants to emmulate that: it's that their recievers are all similar and can be mixed and matched, so they don't really have a number 1, 2, 3 etc.; instead, they have 4-6 WR's who can line up anywhere and do the same stuff, in the same way. I believe that was also New Orleans edge last year, why they were so good offensively.

What can we learn from this? I say with our recievers, and with Easley coming back healthy, and our RB's - who are good, we should really finally add to our Defense in any way possible so that the coaches have the special players needed to run a good defense. I think with the right combination of additions, we could have a special defense with the additions of only about 3 - 4 players. Here's just an example of the kind of thinking we need: Hypothetical - we grab Asamugha, DB from Oakland in F.A., pay him instead of four or five nobody's who would make 1-3 million a year. Line him up with McKelvin and McGee and have a wicked secondary. Draft Bowers or Fairley if he's there, and go back to the 4-3, so our D-line could be Bowers/Moats/Maybin, K. Williams, Troupe/Stroud, and Edwards/Carrington, while our LB's could be Merriman, Poz (if we resign him, or that ILB a lot of people have us grabbing in the 2nd round), and Batten, or one other F.A. - my point, though, is with a few additions, in the right places, our personnel could look pretty nasty. Just figure out what we need to run, and get a few playmakers to add to the group.

On the offense - maybe add Kaepernick? or Dalton - whoever, in rounds 3-4 as a groomer, and get a RT in F.A., along with a T.E. Either way, just make sure the O-line is steady, and wait till next year to add the finishing pieces.

We could do it in two years if we do it right. Still, that QB spot should get upgraded. Let's hope there's a special QB hidden in this year's draft.

Certainly, I agree Bill. IMO, our run game/run blocking is closer to competent than our overall D. We find ourselves behind a lot and it takes us out of a clock draining rushing attack. They go hand in hand. My point is quickly addressing how we can get the ball back to the O better.

I like that GB squashes the myth that a finesse type offense (and a California QB) cannot function in a cold weather city and be Championship caliber. Let's face it, GB passes to set up the occasional run. They are a passing team first and foremost. Starks has been a nice addition and can grind out the occasional first down but they are not yet in Pittsburgh's league running the ball. Should be a fun Super Bowl though.

Obviously, you need it all.

Steelers have defensive playmakers plus Big Ben and a running game. Packers have defensive playmakers, a top QB and a running game.

Bills have NO defensive playmakers, a journeyman QB and a running game. One of three = 4-12.

You need all three.

eg Bruce, Biscuit, Talley; Kelly; Thurman.

3 common denominators (I'm sure there are more)

1) Both have upper echelon QBs

2) Both run the 3-4 D (not 4-3 and not hybrid)

3) Both have big fat slobs in the middle (Ask the Jets if the miss Kris Jenkins... they are a totally different defense wothout him)

Bill I agree with everything you have said and mostly with everything you have previously said. A point I have frequentyl repeated is that if you have an opportunity to draft a franchsie qb you need to seize the opportunity. Is Newton, Gabbert, Mallett etc that caliber of qb? I can't say for sure. But if our scouting department believes so then they have to take action. Maybe moving down a bit could still accomplish that qb acquistion? As of now the Bills don't have a legitimate qb.

The Bills are many years away from being a serious team. Just because a qb is taken in the first round (if the scouts rate a prospect that high) doesn't mean that the other picks and free agency can't address other needs. The mistake many people are making is that they are looking at the rebuilding process as a one year project. It is not. It is a relatively long process, especialy considering the erratic way this franchise handles personnel issues.

I always believed the three most important factors in winning a football game and also having a winning formula for the season are:

1) Turnover ratio (both offense and defense)

2) 3rd down conversion % (offense)

3) pressure on the opposing QB without having to blitz (defense)

So having said that...both the O and D are equally important imo. You need an above average O just to get to the final 4 in the NFL. Having an above average to very good D will push you over the hump to win the SB.

I can agree with that. Although you could also reason that because pressure on the QB is one of the biggest things that FORCES turnovers, it could be the single most important thing (for both offense and defense). QB protection, and GETTING TO the QB are 2 things that can make or break a team.

While I do think a team needs to be strong vs the run on defense, especially in the playoffs, it's more that a team needs good balance to win than anything else. Being able to both run and stop the run is great, but it doesn't guarantee anything. There were only 3 teams that finished the regular season in the league's top 10 in both rushing offense and rushing defense. Of those three teams, only one made it to the postseason, that being the NY Jets, who finished 4th in rush offense and 3rd in rush defense. The other teams? NY Giants and Minnesota. Green Bay made it to the Super Bowl w/ a team featuring the league's 24th ranked rush offense and 18th ranked rush defense. But, they also have Aaron Rodgers playing as well as any QB right now and a defense that is also playing very well. Run and stop the run? Absolutely, but also be able to produce in terms of the passing game, pass defense, and also on special teams. Balance will get the Bills back to respectability.