Cutler

JohnC

The attached link is an article on Cutler by ESPN writer Rick Reilly. It has little to do with his football talents. It describes Cutler as a self-absorbed and rude person who is incapable or doesn't seem to care how he relates to others. Now I have a better understanding as to why McDaniels and the Bronco organization wanted this jerk in another city.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutler is Ryan Leaf with some actual QB talent.

not sure what you mean here. Leaf had all the physical skills needed, he just didnt have the maturity and mental skills...

but everyone loves dropping that Ryan Leaf name when criticizing a QB, even if it doesnt fit.

I absolutely LOVE Cutler's abilities and really wished that Buffalo was the team that traded for him but in hindsight I think with his attitude it would have been a complete disaster. That's too bad, the guy has a rocket launcher for an arm. Matter of fact I think that I haven't seen a QB with an arm like his since the days of Elway and a young Brett Farve.

I absolutely LOVE Cutler's abilities and really wished that Buffalo was the team that traded for him but in hindsight I think with his attitude it would have been a complete disaster. That's too bad, the guy has a rocket launcher for an arm. Matter of fact I think that I haven't seen a QB with an arm like his since the days of Elway and a young Brett Farve.

Have you watched Mallett? If you are looking for an arm, there it is.

The attached link is an article on Cutler by ESPN writer Rick Reilly. It has little to do with his football talents. It describes Cutler as a self-absorbed and rude person who is incapable or doesn't seem to care how he relates to others. Now I have a better understanding as to why McDaniels and the Bronco organization wanted this jerk in another city.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986

McDaniels and the Broncos sure showed Cutler. I'm sure Jay would much rather play on a team with the #2 overall pick instead of leading his team to the NFC Championship.

Perhaps Cutler simply wants to go out there, do his job, and then go home. Not everyone likes the spotlight. His teammates support him, and i'll take their opinion over any media members' opinion.

He has a good arm and that's about it. Not a very good QB from what I've seen of him. They've been very fortunate this year and will have their asses handed to them this Sunday.

Further to this topic, in light of that Rodgers/cancer patient video, who is the least douchiest QB left out of the final 4? It can't be Dirty Sanchez, can it?

Have you watched Mallett? If you are looking for an arm, there it is.

I have seen Newton, Luck and Mallett more than a few times this year. As you observed, he has the strongest arm of all the qb prospects in this draft. The problem I have with him, as do many other critics, is that he is gruesomely immobile. In addition, when he throws on the move his accuracy precipitously declines.

If Mallett can demonstrate a below average ability to move around the pocket then I would not be afraid to jump on your very exuberant bus. If your bus develops a flat tire why don't you consider jumping on my Newton bus. It is much more mobile and durable than yours. :thumbsup:

McDaniels and the Broncos sure showed Cutler. I'm sure Jay would much rather play on a team with the #2 overall pick instead of leading his team to the NFC Championship.

Perhaps Cutler simply wants to go out there, do his job, and then go home. Not everyone likes the spotlight.

What got Cutler traded from Denver had little to do with the media's opinion of him. It had everything to do with his boorish and unprofessional behavior. No one doubts that Cutler has talent. That doesn't mean that he isn't an obnoxious jerk.

Reporter (after a game): What happened on that first interception, Jay?

Cutler: I threw the ball.

Reporter: Right, but what did you see developing there? Take us through it.

Cutler (archly): It seemed like a good place to throw the ball.

...hilarious...I actually like Cutler based on that...

No, I don't get to follow college football much due to my job, Saturdays are taboo but I think that I'll pull up some videos and articles on him. Thanks for the tip Bill.

If you'd ever like another unbiased, objective account of Mallett, I'd be happy to share some thoughts about him with you. Bill can vouch for me. :thumbsup:

From reading the way he interacts with people (not making eye contact, short, curt answers, etc.), it sounds like he's not so much a jerk as he is someone who might have some sort of societal anxiety. I worked with kids who had Asperger syndrome and they all acted in the exact same manner....

Notice that none of the exchanges with reporters feature him acting angry...just aloof.

I like Cutler a lot more than I like that turd, Rick Reily...some people are just that way...he is playing football, shows up every week, and does his best...those who think his talent is limited haven't seen him enough...he is a little Favre-like, but he doesn't love the spotlight like so many. I always think the NFL, and other pro sports for that matter, make a mistake when they make media access mandatory for their players. It is just asking for trouble.

Edited by Buftex

From reading the way he interacts with people (not making eye contact, short, curt answers, etc.), it sounds like he's not so much a jerk as he is someone who might have some sort of societal anxiety. I worked with kids who had Asperger syndrome and they all acted in the exact same manner....

Notice that none of the exchanges with reporters feature him acting angry...just aloof.

Everyone said that same thing about Ricky Williams his first years in the league, and that ended up being a disorder as well.

If Elway and/or Lynch want to confirm those stories, then fine, the dude is an ahole. But until then, this sounds a lot like the media calling the kid a jerk, because he's a jerk to the media (who are not beyond deserving it).

C'mon Brother, he was talking about arms. Certainly you cannot even deny that the kid has a freak arm, no? :o:D

lol...yeah, he does have a big arm 0:)

If Elway and/or Lynch want to confirm those stories, then fine, the dude is an ahole. But until then, this sounds a lot like the media calling the kid a jerk, because he's a jerk to the media (who are not beyond deserving it).

He's just a surly, impersonal guy. He seems to feel awkward talking about himself or being teh center of attention or going on and on about himself on certain plays and stuff...he likes playing QB. He doesn't like being an NFL QB. Simple enough I can relate to it. He's clearly decided that he is happy w/ the money he can make playing football...doesn't need endorsements...and could care less about burning calories being someone he's not. Good for him. Obviously he's a dick, but it's fine. He can be one. There's a lot of pressure to win in his line of work...if it's a toll on him to be pressured into playing the role of QB off the field then JUST DON'T! I totally relate to Cutler. He likely does have some slight social disorder...he's just not that social. He's not the only one. There's nothing wrong w/ him.

Everyone said that same thing about Ricky Williams his first years in the league, and that ended up being a disorder as well.

Exactly. Notice that the Lynch story, after he smashes his cell phone, Cutler actually listened? I used to have the same issue with some of the Asperger children. They wouldn't listen to a word you said because they'd be so focused on their phone, Game Boy, etc. Take it away and they'd focus right on you.

Honestly, I think he has some sort of disorder. He's not openly hostile towards people, just very insular. Does anyone have any "non-media" related stories about Cutler? Like punching people out at bars, screaming at fans, etc? And Josh McDaniels is an idiot so his opinion doesn't count.

The attached link is an article on Cutler by ESPN writer Rick Reilly. It has little to do with his football talents. It describes Cutler as a self-absorbed and rude person who is incapable or doesn't seem to care how he relates to others. Now I have a better understanding as to why McDaniels and the Bronco organization wanted this jerk in another city. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986

Josh McDaniel was hardly a people person either...he endeared himself to very few.

He's just a surly, impersonal guy. He seems to feel awkward talking about himself or being teh center of attention or going on and on about himself on certain plays and stuff...he likes playing QB. He doesn't like being an NFL QB. Simple enough I can relate to it. He's clearly decided that he is happy w/ the money he can make playing football...doesn't need endorsements...and could care less about burning calories being someone he's not. Good for him. Obviously he's a dick, but it's fine. He can be one. There's a lot of pressure to win in his line of work...if it's a toll on him to be pressured into playing the role of QB off the field then JUST DON'T! I totally relate to Cutler. He likely does have some slight social disorder...he's just not that social. He's not the only one. There's nothing wrong w/ him.

Agreed with all of that. I can completely understand his lack of enthusiasm for being thrust into the spotlight when all he wants to do is play football and play QB.

Exactly. Notice that the Lynch story, after he smashes his cell phone, Cutler actually listened? I used to have the same issue with some of the Asperger children. They wouldn't listen to a word you said because they'd be so focused on their phone, Game Boy, etc. Take it away and they'd focus right on you.

Honestly, I think he has some sort of disorder. He's not openly hostile towards people, just very insular. Does anyone have any "non-media" related stories about Cutler? Like punching people out at bars, screaming at fans, etc? And Josh McDaniels is an idiot so his opinion doesn't count.

Exactly, he doesnt come off as a hotheaded, spoiled ahole. Just some guy who doesnt want to talk to you. So sue him.

Spend 10 minutes on any team's message board, or even read the comment sections of articles about players, let alone those disparaging articles, and I dont blame him.

If there was a group of people who made money by analyzing and criticizing what I do for a living, and those same people didnt have the knowledge or skill to even do what I do... I wouldnt talk to them either.

Edited by DrDankenstein