Cutler

JohnC

McDaniels and the Broncos sure showed Cutler. I'm sure Jay would much rather play on a team with the #2 overall pick instead of leading his team to the NFC Championship.

Perhaps Cutler simply wants to go out there, do his job, and then go home. Not everyone likes the spotlight. His teammates support him, and i'll take their opinion over any media members' opinion.

Exactly. The Broncos became a cluster fu*k. Cutler/Marshall/Scheffler/alphonso smith. They cut off their nose to spite their face. This wasn't the Chargers who had a franchise qb to replace a franchise qb. The broncos screwed the pooch. Cutler benfited going to a better organization, and has had his first winning season since highschool. So good for him. Sure wish the Bills would've been the team who originaly drafted/traded for him though.

P.s- With the Broncos hiring of John Fox, and a possible switch to the 4-3, maybe they'll look to trade Dumervil, and continue their cycle of getting rid of elite level players. :thumbsup:

Edited by Stealth

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh McDaniel was hardly a people person either...he endeared himself to very few.

The person who executed his departure was the owner. He tried to get involved and talk to Cutler. Cutler ignored the owner. He wouldn't take his calls, let alone respond to them. Cutler was subsequently traded.

You are right about Josh McDaniel not exactly being a people person. That is one of the factors, among many, why he also was dispatched.

not sure what you mean here. Leaf had all the physical skills needed, he just didnt have the maturity and mental skills...

but everyone loves dropping that Ryan Leaf name when criticizing a QB, even if it doesnt fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't mental skills part of being a talented QB in the NFL? I know Leaf had the physical tools, but mental skills are a bigger part of being a successful QB IMO. That's the part I was referring too. Plenty of guys with the physical skills have failed miserably in the NFL. Just look at the Bills last few choices. This OP was referring to attitude, not physical ability.

Please do, I'd be very interested in knowing more about him. Thanks.

Actually I can't even follow through on what I said, because I think Mallett is hugely overrated and would set this franchise back if we were to take him at #3, so I'm very much biased against him lol. I'm feeling better these days, though, cause it seems his stock has fallen enough that I don't need to worry as much about that happening. I'd be fine with taking him at some point after rd 1, cause that way we're not so deeply invested in him that we can't get rid of him easily.

I know that there are still people who like him, though - although fewer now than there were prior to his bowl game - so if this kid ends up as a Bill then I'll support him 100% (well, at least 80% :w00t: )

Actually I can't even follow through on what I said, because I think Mallett is hugely overrated and would set this franchise back if we were to take him at #3, so I'm very much biased against him lol. I'm feeling better these days, though, cause it seems his stock has fallen enough that I don't need to worry as much about that happening. I'd be fine with taking him at some point after rd 1, cause that way we're not so deeply invested in him that we can't get rid of him easily.

I know that there are still people who like him, though - although fewer now than there were prior to his bowl game - so if this kid ends up as a Bill then I'll support him 100% (well, at least 80% :w00t: )

Mallett= a slightly more talented Derek Anderson. Comfortable throwing when he's clean in the pocket and can see plays develop and receivers aren't covered, a highly inaccurate, immobile turnover prone qb when he senses a rush/receivers aren't wide open. At the end of the day for Gaileys offense I think they'd be more likely to draft Ponder who fitz the mold of Qb's that Gailey usually has. Let him sit behind fitz for awhile, as the team around improves. I'm not saying I'm a ponder fan, cause I'm not, but I think he fits the type of qb Gailey would want, a lot more than Ryan Mallett.

P.S- I should clarify I really don't like any of these qb's in this draft, and dont see a full fledged upgradce/franchise qb of the whole lot of them. Some developmental talent, but nothing that constitutes much of an upgrade over Fitz. I actually think wait a year and hope we can get Luck or Barkley.

Edited by Stealth

Mallett= a slightly more talented Derek Anderson. Comfortable throwing when he's clean in the pocket and can see plays develop and receivers aren't covered, a highly inaccurate, immobile turnover prone qb when he senses a rush/receivers aren't wide open. At the end of the day for Gaileys offense I think they'd be more likely to draft Ponder who fitz the mold of Qb's that Gailey usually has. Let him sit behind fitz for awhile, as the team around improves. I'm not saying I'm a ponder fan, cause I'm not, but I think he fits the type of qb Gailey would want, a lot more than Ryan Mallett.

P.S- I should clarify I really don't like any of these qb's in this draft, and dont see a full fledged upgradce/franchise qb of the whole lot of them. Some developmental talent, but nothing that constitutes much of an upgrade over Fitz. I actually think wait a year and hope we can get Luck or Barkley.

:thumbsup:

I completely agree with stealth - i don't hate mallett, but there are red flags and he simply seems like the complete opposite of what Gailey would want in a QB.

Fortunately this upcoming draft has many options for upgrading the Bills' horrific defense. Unfortunately that may unfold with Buffalo taking a cornerback with their first pick

/heads expode

Odds are this is what makes Cutler a great/good player. A lot of times with the money that is on the line in the NFL we like to think that players in the NFL eat, drink, and breath football. And a lot do but for some football is a job, they dedicate themselves to it, have the physical tools, and give it their full attention, but its not something they define themselves as.

He clocks in and clocks out he tries to get away from the game as much as he can. That's not a bad thing for some players, think about this the guy had a nasty divorce from Denver and in his first year with the Bears throws a ton of INT's. But then he bounces back and gets them to a NFC title game and possibly more. Its possibly his reclusive nature that allowed him to put the previous year behind him.

Some people just aren't good with the media and the NFL forcing them to interact with the media might not work out so well for a guy like Cutler. Not saying this guy might not be a jerk but just because there are some stories out there and he snubs the media doesn't prove that he is.

Odds are this is what makes Cutler a great/good player. A lot of times with the money that is on the line in the NFL we like to think that players in the NFL eat, drink, and breath football. And a lot do but for some football is a job, they dedicate themselves to it, have the physical tools, and give it their full attention, but its not something they define themselves as.

He clocks in and clocks out he tries to get away from the game as much as he can. That's not a bad thing for some players, think about this the guy had a nasty divorce from Denver and in his first year with the Bears throws a ton of INT's. But then he bounces back and gets them to a NFC title game and possibly more. Its possibly his reclusive nature that allowed him to put the previous year behind him.

Some people just aren't good with the media and the NFL forcing them to interact with the media might not work out so well for a guy like Cutler. Not saying this guy might not be a jerk but just because there are some stories out there and he snubs the media doesn't prove that he is.

I see people doing a lot of "projecting" with this story. I think Reilly is a douche (usually his articles are just the opposite, all jock sniff), but it seems apparent that Cutler has some problems. I don't think those problem are "part of what makes him a great/good player", I think he probably has some kind of slight chemical imbalance that can make him act peeveish. I don't really care because he doesn't play for the Bills, and I don't think I will ever have to socialize with him (Reilly, and other media people do). I have only heard/seen negative things about him from many different sources (Urlacher from the start).

He is probably everything Reilly says about him.

I see people doing a lot of "projecting" with this story. I think Reilly is a douche (usually his articles are just the opposite, all jock sniff), but it seems apparent that Cutler has some problems. I don't think those problem are "part of what makes him a great/good player", I think he probably has some kind of slight chemical imbalance that can make him act peeveish. I don't really care because he doesn't play for the Bills, and I don't think I will ever have to socialize with him (Reilly, and other media people do). I have only heard/seen negative things about him from many different sources (Urlacher from the start).

He is probably everything Reilly says about him.

Sometimes, odd behavioral traits are tolerated when things are going well. When performances decline and losses occur with a greater frequency those once tolerated nuisances become intolerable to take. How one interacts with one's teammates certainly impacts how they interact with you. When you lose the support of your teammantes then not only are you in trouble, but so is the team.

Mallett= a slightly more talented Derek Anderson.

See, I can easily understand being skeptical of Mallett, but "slightly more talented?" Sorry to split hairs, but a distinction needs to be made imo.

Mallett has a better arm than Anderson in every single sense. He has a WAY better deep ball, and can put it in there with or without air under it, and can do it without stepping up. He has a better fastball too. Losman, to his credit, had a nice fastball but it looks slow compared to Mallett. The kid throws 40 yard outs at will, and his checkdowns are 25 yard missles. Seriously, he has a freak arm.

The game has changed, and mobility (which is not his strongest suit) seems to be more important to a qb these days. Speaking for my good friend AJ, I think that he is afraid Mallett will be statuesque like Bledsoe. This could be a valid concern too but in terms of talent (throws that only a few people on the planet can make), Mallett's talent level is 10x that of Anderson.

Truthfully, he does resemble Drew Bledsoe. :)

Have you watched Mallett? If you are looking for an arm, there it is.

I saw Mallett in your neck of the woods. He was really big too.

Actually I thought it was Mallett then I realized it was some chick holding a torch and a book. She moved just like Mallett.

Speaking for my good friend AJ, I think that he is afraid Mallett will be statuesque like Bledsoe. This could be a valid concern too but in terms of talent (throws that only a few people on the planet can make), Mallett's talent level is 10x that of Anderson.

Truthfully, he does resemble Drew Bledsoe. :)

I'm also scared shiitless he's gonna throw pick-6's to the burger king! 0:)

Edited by ajzepp

Exactly. The Broncos became a cluster fu*k. Cutler/Marshall/Scheffler/alphonso smith. They cut off their nose to spite their face. This wasn't the Chargers who had a franchise qb to replace a franchise qb. The broncos screwed the pooch. Cutler benfited going to a better organization, and has had his first winning season since highschool. So good for him. Sure wish the Bills would've been the team who originaly drafted/traded for him though.

P.s- With the Broncos hiring of John Fox, and a possible switch to the 4-3, maybe they'll look to trade Dumervil, and continue their cycle of getting rid of elite level players. :thumbsup:

The Broncos didnt want Peyton Hillis either. Good call on that one.

I absolutely LOVE Cutler's abilities and really wished that Buffalo was the team that traded for him but in hindsight I think with his attitude it would have been a complete disaster. That's too bad, the guy has a rocket launcher for an arm. Matter of fact I think that I haven't seen a QB with an arm like his since the days of Elway and a young Brett Farve.

They could have had him in 2006 outright... Cutler was on the board when the Bills picked Donte Whitner.