Am I crazy for realy wanting to get Gaither

95altima12

Jared Gaither from Bal I know there was talk about it last year and good thing we didn't trade for him with the back injury. I think we need a little help on the O-line and if we get a young OL we can keep our draft picks on the D. I also know ATL (living here in atl) has a few good linemen in FA on the right side of the line.

Not Crazy, he has an attitude problem and wants to be paid like a LT.

I don't think the attitude and $$$ will meet up with Nix in Buffalo.

I'm sure some team will pay for him though its hard to find someone that was a starter LT for over a year (2008 & 2009) and played well, is only 25 years old, and a Free Agent. Its extremely rare.

It could just be a maturity issue, he had attitude problem when he was 22. Have you spoken to a 22 year old lately?

Jared Gaither from Bal I know there was talk about it last year and good thing we didn't trade for him with the back injury. I think we need a little help on the O-line and if we get a young OL we can keep our draft picks on the D. I also know ATL (living here in atl) has a few good linemen in FA on the right side of the line.

Before I was totally with you, but the other poster is right. He wants left tackle money and he has a $5 head. Now maturity can and most likely come around, but living in the Northern Va area which is prime Redskin and Raven country...something is wrong with this guys back. He lost a ton of weight (which lead to a bunch of steriod rumors) and this torn muscle excuse left the guy out all year long. That's the biggest red flag I have seen and if they want to cough him up for a late pick, by all means, but don't even talk to me about rounds 1-4.

Before I was totally with you, but the other poster is right. He wants left tackle money and he has a $5 head. Now maturity can and most likely come around, but living in the Northern Va area which is prime Redskin and Raven country...something is wrong with this guys back. He lost a ton of weight (which lead to a bunch of steriod rumors) and this torn muscle excuse left the guy out all year long. That's the biggest red flag I have seen and if they want to cough him up for a late pick, by all means, but don't even talk to me about rounds 1-4.

He is a FA right? We wouldn't have to give up any pick... correct me if I am wrong...

Also I was wanting him to play LT for us... move Bell back to RT.

I'd rather sign Clabo (plug him in at RT) and continue to build some continuity on this O-line by keeping Bell at LT. I thought Bell played well with the exception of 2 games, the Minnesota game and the final game against the Jets. I think he's still got a chance to develop into a pretty damn good LT.

Edited by Stl Bills

He is a FA right? We wouldn't have to give up any pick... correct me if I am wrong...

Also I was wanting him to play LT for us... move Bell back to RT.

Yes, he is a FA.

Harbaugh recently stated he would like to have him back.

For a little insight, go check out the Ravens message boards. I's say it's 80-20 they would LOVE to have him back. They are very down on Oher at LT and would love to see him moved back to the right side w/ Gaither back on the left. Some concerns about attitude, but the biggest concern seems to be centered on his injured back.

He didn't do himself any favors by missing the entire season, so IMO the price for him would be lowered considerably. Incentive laden contract w/ playing time as a major stipulation?

Yes, he is a FA.

Harbaugh recently stated he would like to have him back.

For a little insight, go check out the Ravens message boards. I's say it's 80-20 they would LOVE to have him back. They are very down on Oher at LT and would love to see him moved back to the right side w/ Gaither back on the left. Some concerns about attitude, but the biggest concern seems to be centered on his injured back.

He didn't do himself any favors by missing the entire season, so IMO the price for him would be lowered considerably. Incentive laden contract w/ playing time as a major stipulation?

This is exactly the type of player I am talking about in my thread about being opportunistic IF you evaluate him as healthy, and the numbers are a little lower then a player of his caliber would normally be.

Say if his normal play is ten mill, and his perceived value around the league is 5.... Target him a little higher say 6-7 and incentives to 11 if he plays out of this world.

Note: these are not the numbers im saying he deserves but how I think we should target these players. Much like we tied up merriman. Give a little more then the current diminished value with incentives to a little more then an average probowler gets should he make the probowl. Pick 3 young guys you believe will exceed expectations and wrap them up early with little risk. If 2 actually make it then we have our probowl OLB and probowl LT for years to come.

We don't need the karlos dansby type signing at this point in our rebuild.

I'll take him for an incentive-laden the vet minimum contract for 1-2 years. The dude has too many question marks to be taken seriously. Where theres's smoke, there's fire. In fact, its highly possible he'll be entirely out of football soon. Remember when he was supposed to be entirely healthy, then a couple days later he's placed on season-ending IR? Too many strange occurences and excuses with him.

Edited by kas23

I'd rather sign Clabo (plug him in at RT) and continue to build some continuity on this O-line by keeping Bell at LT. I thought Bell played well with the exception of 2 games, the Minnesota game and the final game against the Jets. I think he's still got a chance to develop into a pretty damn good LT.

+1. Couldn't agree more.

We don't need players that are going to complain about how underpaid they are - have you seen the write-ups over at BuffaloRumblings about the salary of most of our starting offense? It's insane! We are paying most of our starters like 600 thousand a year! There are a lot of guys on our team licking their lips, waiting to get a payday somewhere. That is part of our problem. We have money tied up in players in the early rounds who aren't even playing, we have money tied up with retreads like Green who we overpaid for and who aren't even playing, and then we overpay for guys like Kelsay - All that money tied up there, while Stevie Johnson is getting like 600 grand a year, and so is Bell, our starting LT, and our starting QB is making very little, along with our Star RB - like 1.5 million a year, or something ridiculous. My point is - the guy on our team who are producing, and who we rely on to hopefully build on to get better, are being severely underpaid. So, by the time they get to F.A. - they want to get a payday, and they're probably a little sick of Buffalo for not having wrapped them up sooner.

Now, you add a guy like Gaither who doesn't want to work and who thinks everyone owes him the starting LT job and the payday to go with it. No thanks. I think I'd rather have Clabo - a guy who is entrenched at his position, who looks to enjoy doing it, and is a beast.

As for the above, I just think we need to get rid of guys who aren't performing, stop overpaying for "character" - the Kelsay contact could really hurt us in a lot of ways - and start wrapping up the young stars with contracts that are not stellar now, but are extensions, and are upgrades to the low salaries they're making. Then you take that core of players and add the quality F.A. depth - and yes, give the superstars who are 50/50 for some reason like Merriman incentive laden contracts - or any player, for that matter. We should overpay a little on guys who are going to be quality starters, rather than throw gobs of money at players, in total, who aren't going to help us do anything but lose.

I tend to agree as all the comments out of the coaching staff are that he will benefit tremendously from off season conditioning. Do I think he will be elite - no - but there are many other holes that take priority right now - IMO defensive front seven and long-term answer at QB are at the top of the list.

BELL IS NOT A RIGHT TACKLE

For Christ sake this is not Madden

Please TSW, for once and for all get off the "move Bell to RT" crap. Hemet is dead nuts on this. Bell is not a RT and won't be. Bell made gains this year, without any time for conditioning and strength training due to rehabbing his knee. He should be better and stronger next year...but he's not a RT. Let's go get one in FA or the draft and stop thinking tackles can be flip flopped and be effective.

BELL IS NOT A RIGHT TACKLE

For Christ sake this is not Madden

If Bell gets stronger, which is one of his main weaknesses as a result of not having an entire off-season of S&C, he could transition over to the right side. I'm assuming your suggesting that the RT spot is more of a mauling, aggressive position. IMO, this would be easier to do then switching a RT over to the left side. Here's some articles that suggest it easily possible including some insight from Ross Tucker.

My link

My link

Edited by stony

Yes, Gaither is a bum, there are plenty FA we can bring in; top level:

1. Tyson Clabo ATL

2. Doug Free DAL

mid range but still good.

Ryan O'Callaghan (KC)

Ryan Cook (MIN)

Zach Strief (NO)

Jeremy Trueblood (TB)

1. Tyson Clabo ATL

2. Doug Free DAL

Ryan O'Callaghan (KC)

Ryan Cook (MIN)

Zach Strief (NO)

Jeremy Trueblood (TB)

I wouldn't call Doug Free a top level free agent. Willie Colon, Marshal Yanda, Jeromey Clarey are all also entering free agency.

1. Tyson Clabo ATL

2. Doug Free DAL

Ryan O'Callaghan (KC)

Ryan Cook (MIN)

Zach Strief (NO)

Jeremy Trueblood (TB)

How do you mention streif, essentially a blocking TE for the saints who has 0 starts at RT and only one at LT in the last two years, but not bushrod there starting LT