Volunteer Firemen or Professional Firemen

Bills99999

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin did his masters thesis on converting all fire departments in Erie County to paid departments. He estimated that taxes in municipalities that presently have volunteer firemen, their county taxes increase by an average of $180 per year (15 bucks a month added to the mortgage), while Buffalo residents would see an $82 dollar per year DECREASE in their taxes with the county-wide paid fire department.

His study also pointed out that homeowners insurance would decrease to the point that county residents would see a savings when all was said and done.

Does it really matter. They're both just sick pyromaniacs.

Although some firemen have an unhealthy facination with fire, I don't think it is pure pyromania that motivates firefighter arson.

Most of the time, it is bored volunteers who are looking for the excitement and challenge of fighting a fire, but out in the country, there aren't enough fires

Edited by Bills99999

There is no contest between firefighter and cowboy. Firefighters can use an ax and climb a ladder...that is not exactly what you want romeo to be doing at your window.

Cowboys, well, we are trained to ride and not let go, can use a rope, we work for a living. Besides, it is all about the hat.

So, whats sexier, being curled up with a firefighter in his coat curled up next to a fire he probably started [1-citation], listening to his fire radio and pager all day...OR...riding off on a horse to a spot in the middle of no where with nothing but blue skies and a camp fire [2-citation] listening to the crickets?

[1] - see Chef's post.

[2] - cowboys like fire, too

Who decides who gets to be the chief or one of the upper level firemen?

I am not sure on the Chief, I do not think it is up to the firefighters.

The firefighters must pass certifications to move up a level and have so many driving hours to reach a new level. If memory serves me, the officers are elected by their

My local VFD

There is no contest between firefighter and cowboy. Firefighters can use an ax and climb a ladder...that is not exactly what you want romeo to be doing at your window.

Cowboys, well, we are trained to ride and not let go, can use a rope, we work for a living. Besides, it is all about the hat.

So, whats sexier, being curled up with a firefighter in his coat curled up next to a fire he probably started [1-citation], listening to his fire radio and pager all day...OR...riding off on a horse to a spot in the middle of no where with nothing but blue skies and a camp fire [2-citation] listening to the crickets?

[1] - see Chef's post.

I am not sure on the Chief, I do not think it is up to the firefighters.

The firefighters must pass certifications to move up a level and have so many driving hours to reach a new level. If memory serves me, the officers are elected by their

My local VFD

Why are you "Station 76". Are there that many fire stations in your town?

I do not know the answer to that, I have wondered for a while and will ask next time I see a FF.

There are about 3 here outside of town within 10 minutes of me, but I cannot imagine that many in the county. The city only has 3.

Just a stab in the dark/educated guess:

Maybe it is the station's call numbers (or part of them) for their radio.

At work... Our station on the marine-band (VHF) fm radio is: WUD742.

A lot of times I will just use: 742 and then our name... Probably not FCC proper protocol, but things can get really stuffy all the time following the regs to a tee. Like if I said: Whiskey Uniform (Uncle) November 742...

??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Howdy ma'am.

Hellllooo, Cowboy. :flirt:

[1] - see Chef's post.

Sort of sounds like the above man is both a fireman AND a cowboy. I'll take it! :thumbsup:

My cousin did his masters thesis on converting all fire departments in Erie County to paid departments. He estimated that taxes in municipalities that presently have volunteer firemen, their county taxes increase by an average of $180 per year (15 bucks a month added to the mortgage), while Buffalo residents would see an $82 dollar per year DECREASE in their taxes with the county-wide paid fire department.

His study also pointed out that homeowner’s insurance would decrease to the point that county residents would see a savings when all was said and done.

Although some firemen have an unhealthy facination with fire, I don't think it is pure pyromania that motivates firefighter arson.

Most of the time, it is bored volunteers who are looking for the excitement and challenge of fighting a fire, but out in the country, there aren't enough fires

How do you know all of this? Does your brother hang out with volunteer firefighters in bars as well?

Which is what happens at the small village near where my parents live. Seems every 10-15 years there will be a string of fires that is eventually traced back to one of the volunteers who is bored and wants to go on more calls.

Which is what happens at the small village near where my parents live. Seems every 10-15 years there will be a string of fires that is eventually traced back to one of the volunteers who is bored and wants to go on more calls.

Correct, the motive is usually not pure sexually-motivated pyromania, but a craving for excitement and a chance to play "hero" by being the first to get to a fire that they start themselves.

Professional fire departments have hiring standards and they conduct pretty decent background investigations and psycholoical testing to weed out pryros and complete mental midgets. In particular, professional fire departments require penile plethysmograph testing in the presence of fire stimulation to weed out the pyromaniacs. Volunteer departments usually do not require this

If you google "volunteer firefighter fireman arson, you will get about 1,000,000 links. Paid firemen arrested for arson usually do it for profit/insurance fraud

Here is one pretty good article

Make sure you hit the arrows to look at all of the photos. The guy looks typical to me

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/20/60II/main530103.shtml

Edited by Bills99999

Correct, the motive is usually not pure sexually-motivated pyromania, but a craving for excitement and a chance to play "hero" by being the first to get to a fire that they start themselves.

Professional fire departments have hiring standards and they conduct pretty decent background investigations and psycholoical testing to weed out pryros and complete mental midgets. In particular, professional fire departments require penile plethysmograph testing in the presence of fire stimulation to weed out the pyromaniacs. Volunteer departments usually do not require this

If you google "volunteer firefighter fireman arson, you will get about 1,000,000 links. Paid firemen arrested for arson usually do it for profit/insurance fraud

Here is one pretty good article

Make sure you hit the arrows to look at all of the photos. The guy looks typical to me

http://www.cbsnews.c...ain530103.shtml

Time for new material.