We'll Be Drafting Our Franchise QB This Year

Bangarang

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm. Locker looked accurate and impressive? Who would've thought :rolleyes:

Mallett and Locker look to be the best throwing QBs by far. Newton wasn`t even close . Locker also ran a faster 40 than Fig Newton. Locker was the top rated QB last year on by most scouts. His accuracy was a problem they say. Today he looked really good. Mallett has a cannon arm .He also made nice throws. Throw in Gabbert and these are your top three. I think Chan could really turn Locker into a top notch QB. Is he or any of these three worth the 3rd pick ? I don`t know . I think Locker will work his butt off and be a leader. Sit him behind Fitz for a year and learn from Chan and him. I don`t know how far we could trade down to pick this kid or pick him in the 2nd. This is IF we need a QB. I still like

Rd 1 Marcell Darius

Rd 2 Phil Taylor

Rd 3 Kelvin Sheppard

According to some people, you can't improve accuracy. I won't mention any names. You know who you are. :rolleyes:

I'd kill for that draft. Seriously, those are three guys that could change the fortunes of the defense after 1 year of experience. I still think QB #1, though. Weird, sneaking suspicion it will be Gabbert.

Grab a QB next year . At least the D will be set for years up front. No more running game on us. Yeah it also looks like Green is the #2 Wr behind Jones.

Hmmmm. Locker looked accurate and impressive? Who would've thought :rolleyes:

According to some people, you can't improve accuracy. I won't mention any names. You know who you are. :rolleyes:

Don't get ahead of yourself just yet. :)

Throwing in workouts is very different than throwing in the heat of a game.

Locker is said to have been working on his throwing mechanics lately to improve his accuracy. So far so good but this is not an easy thing to do.

Tim Tebow attempted to change his delivery before last year's draft but it's very hard to erase many years of muscle memory, especially when the bullets start to fly. Tebow regressed back to his bad throwing habits in the games he played…although on balance he played pretty well for a rookie.

In a sense, these QB workouts are near meaningless. For one thing, as Bills fans we know the difference between a practice QB and a game QB. For another thing, the workouts are not likely to give scouts much information that they haven't already gleaned from the game tapes. Everyone knows, for instance that Mallett is a once in a generation arm. It looks like Locker can throw with more accuracy in workouts now than before. But is this really worth anything? Not to me. If Newton doesn't throw accurately in these workouts, that means nothing to me also. He has a great arm and the video proves it. Throwing patterns that he's never thrown before to receivers that he's never thrown to before has little meaning to me. However I do concede that watching him take snaps and throw from 3 and 5 step drops is of some value.

p.s. I do believe that completion percentage (not to be mistaken for acccuracy) can improve year over year. FWIW, Fitz was throwing to guys he'd never played with before…and most of them were rookies and young veterans. It typically takes a long time to develop the chemistry with receivers which some people refer to as accuracy. I do believe that Fitz' "accuracy" or completion percentage will improve this year.

He'll have another year of dialing in chemistry with the receivers and his blocking can only get better. But I wouldn't be too quick to assume that Locker has solved the mystery of his scattershot arm.

Here's what the NFL Post analysts added, however:

Overall, I thought Washington QB Jake Lockerthrew the best of any quarterback in group one. He showcased good touch down the field, had a strong arm and spinned the football cleanly on all levels of the field. The only time he was a bit inconsistent with his accuracy was on the dig route where he not only had to take his five step drop from under center, but also get the ball out on time. Again, it seems like anytime Locker is asked to process any info into a route his accuracy runs cold.

http://www.nationalf...consistent.html

Accuracy in a vaccuum is what we had with Edwards. Processing information and translating that accuracy is a whole 'nother thing. I live out west and followed Locker's hype in the hope he might be a target of the Bills one day. The first criterion I'd use in choosing a QB is how good a leader he is and how quickly he can progress through his reads. I've come to realize that Locker is more like JP Losman than a Aaron Rodgers. Ponder is probably the most ready but I don't think he'd be better than Fitz ... perhaps in a couple years. I trust Mayock's judgment on Gabbert but think that's too risky a pick for a non-pro style QB at 3. I'd rather pick Kapernick or Ponder in Round 3 and focus on defense early.

Here's what the NFL Post analysts added, however:

Overall, I thought Washington QB Jake Lockerthrew the best of any quarterback in group one. He showcased good touch down the field, had a strong arm and spinned the football cleanly on all levels of the field. The only time he was a bit inconsistent with his accuracy was on the dig route where he not only had to take his five step drop from under center, but also get the ball out on time. Again, it seems like anytime Locker is asked to process any info into a route his accuracy runs cold.

http://www.nationalf...consistent.html

Accuracy in a vaccuum is what we had with Edwards. Processing information and translating that accuracy is a whole 'nother thing. I live out west and followed Locker's hype in the hope he might be a target of the Bills one day. The first criterion I'd use in choosing a QB is how good a leader he is and how quickly he can progress through his reads. I've come to realize that Locker is more like JP Losman than a Aaron Rodgers. Ponder is probably the most ready but I don't think he'd be better than Fitz ... perhaps in a couple years. I trust Mayock's judgment on Gabbert but think that's too risky a pick for a non-pro style QB at 3. I'd rather pick Kapernick or Ponder in Round 3 and focus on defense early.

Ponder has a weak arm .He`s small and slow. Yeah pick him.

Grab a QB next year . At least the D will be set for years up front. No more running game on us. Yeah it also looks like Green is the #2 Wr behind Jones.

You think he'll actually get jumped by Jones? I was surprised by how well he ran, while Green ran what was expected by most. It seemed the scouts didn't think his times hurt him.

As for Jones, I still think Green is the better/safer pick, but I did Julio abuse Peterson when they played during the fall. It was impressive.

Ponder has a weak arm .He`s small and slow. Yeah pick him.

As was Brees ... terrible QB, no chance for success there.

Obviously you'd like to pick the guy with tangibles as well as intangibles. but if you don't have smarts in the NFL, you have no chance.

I'm not sold on Ponder either but risk/reward is better for him than the guys who run 4.5 forties and throw the ball 80 yards.

From the same site ...

Christian Ponder, Florida State

Ponder was very accurate all throwing session.

I was looking forward to watching Florida State QB Christian Ponder throw live Sunday at the NFL Combine and he did not fail to impress. Looking through the entire QB group I thought Ponder had the best day of all the signal callers. His arm looked plenty live enough to make all the throws, he was balanced in his drop, got the ball out quickly and was very accurate during the session. He showcased good ball location in the three step game, getting the ball out on time while allowing his receivers to consistently run through the throw. Ponder also showcased plenty of zip on his throws in the five step game and was capable of sticking the dig.

The one area where he did struggle was on bucket throws when trying to toss the nine (fade), but he did a nice job later in the workout on the post-corner, dropping his first pass into the outstretched arms of the receiver. Ponder seems to be getting stronger and stronger the further he gets away from his injury-riddled senior season and with the improvements to his footwork, he's still the guy who I like the most in this quarterback class.

As was Brees ... terrible QB, no chance for success there.

Obviously you'd like to pick the guy with tangibles as well as intangibles. but if you don't have smarts in the NFL, you have no chance.

I'm not sold on Ponder either but risk/reward is better for him than the guys who run 4.5 forties and throw the ball 80 yards.

From the same site ...

Ponder was very accurate all throwing session.

I was looking forward to watching Florida State QB Christian Ponder throw live Sunday at the NFL Combine and he did not fail to impress. Looking through the entire QB group I thought Ponder had the best day of all the signal callers. His arm looked plenty live enough to make all the throws, he was balanced in his drop, got the ball out quickly and was very accurate during the session. He showcased good ball location in the three step game, getting the ball out on time while allowing his receivers to consistently run through the throw. Ponder also showcased plenty of zip on his throws in the five step game and was capable of sticking the dig.

The one area where he did struggle was on bucket throws when trying to toss the nine (fade), but he did a nice job later in the workout on the post-corner, dropping his first pass into the outstretched arms of the receiver. Ponder seems to be getting stronger and stronger the further he gets away from his injury-riddled senior season and with the improvements to his footwork, he's still the guy who I like the most in this quarterback class.

Like I said too small build .Slow and weak arm. You like him . I don`t.

Remember this time last year? Would clausen last to 9? Would we get a shot at McCoy at 41? Skelton, lefevour... Even max hall all got "Brady" threads.... In hindsight it was a little overzealous.

As we discuss cam, gabbert, locker, ponder, stanzi, kaepernick, mallet and Dalton as franchise qbs... Maybe a reminder that of the group there's probably 1 playoff qb, 1 marginal starter, 1 career backup, and a bunch of guys that more than likely are gone in 4-5 years?

Am I crazy? Am i missing that this class is ridiculously talented or are we just really optimistic because it's February and this is the year we turn it all around? I just feel like everytime a guy has a good workout or interview he's suddenly "the obvious choice" at 34.

So how do you guys break them up? If forced to draw a line in the sand - who lands where?

Just curious.

Edited by NoSaint

Remember this time last year? Would clausen last to 9? Would we get a shot at McCoy at 41? Skelton, lefevour... Even max hall all got "Brady" threads.... In hindsight it was a little overzealous.

As we discuss cam, gabbert, locker, ponder, stanzi, kaepernick, mallet and Dalton as franchise qbs... Maybe a reminder that of the group there's probably 1 playoff qb, 1 marginal starter, 1 career backup, and a bunch of guys that more than likely are gone in 4-5 years?

Am I crazy? Am i missing that this class is ridiculously talented or are we just really optimistic because it's February and this is the year we turn it all around? I just feel like everytime a guy has a good workout or interview he's suddenly "the obvious choice" at 34.

So how do you guys break them up? If forced to draw a line in the sand - who lands where?

Just curious.

And thats why I'm here :)

Just curious.

it's the same thing every year...on draft day, mel kiper sings the praises of every single player after they're selected..few ever really pan out the way one imagines. nevertheless, this time of year it's still fun to dream :beer:

Edited by bobobonators

I'm bumping this thread because I thought Ponder had a good combine and just further reiterate my belief that we'll be drafting him in the 2nd round.

Wes Bunting

The one area where he did struggle was on bucket throws when trying to toss the nine (fade), but he did a nice job later in the workout on the post-corner, dropping his first pass into the outstretched arms of the receiver. Ponder seems to be getting stronger and stronger the further he gets away from his injury-riddled senior season and with the improvements to his footwork, he’s still the guy who I like the most in this quarterback class.

Christian Ponder looked more like first round pick this afternoon than Cam Newton did. Significantly more accurate.

Gailey simply has no experience I am aware of that he has been successful producing a rookie who can make his O work.

If the Bills were to go with a QB draftee with any expectation he is going to produce this year the likelihood would be they have made such a choice with zero demonstration that Gailey can make it work a rookie QB.

Gailey had pretty good success in Pittsburgh and Kansas City with woefully inexperienced QBs, Kordell Stewart and Tyler Thigpen. Stewart had been splitting time at wide receiver in his first two years in the NFL. Thigpen was a 7th round pick out of Coastal Carolina. Both were pressed into action due to injuries.

Gailey did a good job with both quarterbacks, statistically and otherwise. In fact Gailey has been lauded for taking disastrous situations involving quarterback injuries and getting good production from backup players.