Character: Something this team is in desperate need of

Got_Wood

So in other words, it is cam newton or die? Great :rolleyes:.

that is a pretty bold statement saying Cam newton is going to become a michael jordan figure in the NFL. I am not saying the kid is going to be a bust, but be a michael jordan type? That is just waaaay out there.

Not to mention, did cam newton even declare yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't declare.

i'm not saying he's the next Michael Jordan. Jesus. i'm saying that the scenario of Michael Jordan's drafting is very similar. Any team that passes up on him is going to regret for a very, very long time.

I also didn't say Cam or die. i'm making the case that he is indeed a once in a generation player at the QB.

I'm not sure he declares either but if he does I hope we don't make the mistake of passing on him.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people view character as a player being good off the field only.

Nix is looking for guys with football character, meaning that the player will breath, eat and sleep football 24/7 and not be distracted by his latest contract, the car he just bought, the crib he lives in or the fame of just being an NFL player. When you draft players you think you get that guy, but for the most part the player doesn't become "a good one" because he doesn't care much for the hard work he needs to put forward to become better.

That is why I think interviews and background checking is very important when studying a prospect, they need to have the production but they also have to show the drive to be better by studying film and working in the weight room.

It doesn't matter if it is Newton, Fairley or Peterson, you have to try and find out that their goals include being the best they can be at football.

i'm not saying he's the next Michael Jordan. Jesus. i'm saying that the scenario of Michael Jordan's drafting is very similar. Any team that passes up on him is going to regret for a very, very long time.

I also didn't say Cam or die. i'm making the case that he is indeed a once in a generation player at the QB.

I'm not sure he declares either but if he does I hope we don't make the mistake of passing on him.

I'm not saying this refutes all of your points, I'm just curious. Did you watch the Oregon game the other night?

Just a simple question I'd like to get answered. All these people screaming about character, hearing what we have lately about Farve's character, should we still count him as one of the best QB's ever? Cam is a college kid, stop acting like people don't screw up. And who really believes that in the big time world of college football pay for play or some other scheme isn't going on. STOP IT! Half the people talking about him being a cheater at Florida probably cheat on their taxes or spouse. Stop all of this nonsense and hope we get the best football players available.

So in other words, it is cam newton or die? Great :rolleyes:.

that is a pretty bold statement saying Cam newton is going to become a michael jordan figure in the NFL. I am not saying the kid is going to be a bust, but be a michael jordan type? That is just waaaay out there.

Not to mention, did cam newton even declare yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't declare.

Being considered just another running qb by a lot of people, if he actually wins a Superbowl he will be treated like Mike. After all a dual threat qb can't make it in the league according to most(Since people forget Elway and Young did a lot of damage running).

Are you kidding me? He clearly got hurt and never missed a play. And what a loser for only accounting for 329 yards & 2 tds to beat the number 2 team in the country for a national championship after a month layoff.

Cam Newton is a little ho. He will never make it in the NFL because he will need to change his tampon every time he takes a decent hit from a blitzing linebacker or defensive back.

here's where his charachter is an issue.....if his intellect is such that he needed to cheat on tests by having others do the work or just putting his name on others work "allegedly" (cough)....then that is a red flag that he will not do the work needed to succeed in the NFL.... ala Billy Joe Hobert and a host of others. if someone has taken short cuts to success for the past 5+ years, it'll take that long to realize you can't do it in the NFL.

So to be clear the argument you are making is that because his FATHER has character issues we should not draft a once in a generation QB?

Gotcha.

He was never kicked out of Florida. The source for that story - written by Thayer Evans (A reporter that was FIRED by the Houston Chronicle for fabricating a story about some extravagant party hosted by Texas for a bunch of recruits that didn't happen) is not exactly a journalist.

In fact - people familiar with the situation confirmed that Cam Newton had never been before the disciplinary board and was not in fact EVER facing expulsion.

Plus, I cheated on a paper when I was 17 I'm sure. I'd guess 90% of this board did as well.

Can anyone give me anything this kid (Not his father) has done since his days at UF that warrant labeling him a character risk? Kid has been a model citizen since he left there.

You nake some good points but these two statements ruin it all. We only really know about Newton's problems because of the shakedown his father was doing on his son's behalf, which happened after he left Florida. He left Florida ahead of pending academic fraud charges and because he didn't want to sit behind a returning Tebow for another year. He camped out at soem JUCO while his father shopped him around.

And it is impossible for me to accept that he had no idea this was going on. If you believe he had no such knoweldge, than your argument may make sense to you.

He was never kicked out of Florida. The source for that story - written by Thayer Evans (A reporter that was FIRED by the Houston Chronicle for fabricating a story about some extravagant party hosted by Texas for a bunch of recruits that didn't happen) is not exactly a journalist.

In fact - people familiar with the situation confirmed that Cam Newton had never been before the disciplinary board and was not in fact EVER facing expulsion.

Plus, I cheated on a paper when I was 17 I'm sure. I'd guess 90% of this board did as well.

Can anyone give me anything this kid (Not his father) has done since his days at UF that warrant labeling him a character risk? Kid has been a model citizen since he left there.

You're correct. He left Florida because there was a certain player there named Tim Tebow, who wasn't about to be benched after his performance the past two seasons. Once he knew Tebow was returning, he had to go somewhere he could play.

And everyone on here knows damn well that his so called "character concerns" are everyday problems a normal college kid goes through.

We're talkin' football here. Newton is a guy who is dedicated, as athletic as they come, smart, a leader, a motivator, and a team player. That's the guy I want. Now, if a guy like Fairley or Bowers is there at #3... I won't be upset if we take them either. But I'm not sure they will be.

Edited by Got_Wood

seeing as the NCAA themselves are NOT credible...i doubt anything but FBI and court documents would suffice:

The NCAA and FBI have taken notice of Cecil Newton

There are a lot of words in your post, but no link.

What I'm interested in is a link to the specific statement that Newton called Miss. State in near tears etc. etc.

I'm going to delete that part of your post but you can feel free to repost it with a credible link.

I understand the NCAA finding. Show me something about Auburn paying his family for his services.

Also, cutting and pasting entire articles or large blocks of articles is against the Board's TOS. Please stop that practice, and instead insert the link and a snippet or two from the article. Thanks.

We need character? No we don't we need better players. Unfortunately Cam Newton provides neither a better player or more character for this team.

Agreed. I think our locker room already has plenty of character. What we need are some play makers and studs with character as well. Tim Tebow has more character in his pinkie than most do in their whole body and yet I don't see him winning a Super Bowl. Then again, I guess crazier things have happened.

There are a lot of words in your post, but no link.

What I'm interested in is a link to the specific statement that Newton called Miss. State in near tears etc. etc.

I'm going to delete that part of your post but you can feel free to repost it with a credible link.

I understand the NCAA finding. Show me something about Auburn paying his family for his services.

Also, cutting and pasting entire articles or large blocks of articles is against the Board's TOS. Please stop that practice, and instead insert the link and a snippet or two from the article. Thanks.

That story was widely reported, Beerball. Check out Cam's presser clip in the story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

It was that and another conversation with MS recruiters that prompted MS compliance officers to notify the NCAA, which began the investigation.

No need to sensor this.

That story was widely reported, Beerball. Check out Cam's presser clip in the story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

It was that and another conversation with MS recruiters that prompted MS compliance officers to notify the NCAA, which began the investigation.

No need to sensor this.

No problem if there's a link to the story and not a copy/paste. It is 'news' to this casual college fan.

FYI--you know, but Papa may not...I'm not a fan of the NCAA & I don't like their practices...matter of fact, go back and see who first posted info that Newton was found ineligible and suspended, then granted reinstatement all within a 24 hour secret period...it were moi.

I am new to the forum, and not at all knowledgable about college ball from year to year.

But i logged on here because this Cam is going to land in our sweet spot for picking so i need to be informed.

But this thread has really turned into one heck of a dialogue!

Ryan Fitzpatrick has plenty of character. All that gets him is calls to draft a new QB.

PTR

I agree that Fitz has a ton of character. But the talent + character combination isn't quite as strong as what you get from Cam Newton.

I would have no problem going into next season with Fitzpatrick as our starting QB, especially if we draft a guy like Fairley, Bowers, or Dareus. But the potential that Newton has to make us a winner is intriguing at the very least.

I think people view character as a player being good off the field only.

Nix is looking for guys with football character, meaning that the player will breath, eat and sleep football 24/7 and not be distracted by his latest contract, the car he just bought, the crib he lives in or the fame of just being an NFL player. When you draft players you think you get that guy, but for the most part the player doesn't become "a good one" because he doesn't care much for the hard work he needs to put forward to become better.

That is why I think interviews and background checking is very important when studying a prospect, they need to have the production but they also have to show the drive to be better by studying film and working in the weight room.

It doesn't matter if it is Newton, Fairley or Peterson, you have to try and find out that their goals include being the best they can be at football.

Well put! Yep, you have to have someone for whom just money (lots of money) isn't enough

And everyone on here knows damn well that his so called "character concerns" are everyday problems a normal college kid goes through.

You must have an unusual picture of "normal college kids".

Who's Cam Newton and why are there so many JaMarcus Russell threads on here these days?

ROTFL! :rolleyes: