Eric Berry

he's a super star, and was touted as such since like 10 games into his college career. i don't think anyone wouldn't take a do over with whitner at this point, that horse is pretty dead and should stop being beaten.

he's a super star, and was touted as such since like 10 games into his college career. i don't think anyone wouldn't take a do over with whitner at this point, that horse is pretty dead and should stop being beaten.

Thanks for saving me the time to write that. Very well put.

Unfortunately, now that whitner wants more money, he has re-lit the debate. The idea that it wasn't his fault he was drafted there is out the window now that he's telling the front office he has earned the money that polamula, reed, etc... Are getting. Had he accepted a healthy above average payment plan going forward we would be fine. Problem is, he is saying he deserves the respect of the top ten pick, the probowl, all pro selections etc.

Unfortunately, now that whitner wants more money, he has re-lit the debate. The idea that it wasn't his fault he was drafted there is out the window now that he's telling the front office he has earned the money that polamula, reed, etc... Are getting. Had he accepted a healthy above average payment plan going forward we would be fine. Problem is, he is saying he deserves the respect of the top ten pick, the probowl, all pro selections etc.

The nail and hammer head have met

Who cares about that as long as we aren't the ones that overpay for him?

Berry's performance at least sort of justifies the Whitner pick - he's showing that adding a rookie safety with a high pick can really energize your defense. The problem then switches to the Bills' inability to identify whether or not Donte was an elite safety, and not their blunder in drafting a safety at all instead of a lineman.

and Whitner averaged what, 8.5 million? I guess that isnt enough to expect him to be making plays :wallbash:

8/5/2006: Signed a five-year, $29 million contract. The deal includes $13.5 million guaranteed. 2009: $2.355 million, 2010: $2.445 million, 2011: $1.95075 million (Voidable Year), 2012: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3691

Averages $5.8 per year, you had the "8" and the "5" right, just in the wrong order. And actually Berry signed a 5 year $60 million deal, an average of $12 million per year.

I guess my point is that the price Whitner is asking for, reportedly around $7 million, is not what "elite" safeties are making. The new standard has been set by Berry, Polamalu and Reed's are not comparable as both were signed over 3 years ago. Antrel Rolle signed a contract last offseason giving him $7.4 million per season. What he's reportedly asking for is the new market price for average to good safeties.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

8/5/2006: Signed a five-year, $29 million contract. The deal includes $13.5 million guaranteed. 2009: $2.355 million, 2010: $2.445 million, 2011: $1.95075 million (Voidable Year), 2012: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3691

Averages $5.8 per year, you had the "8" and the "5" right, just in the wrong order.

I would think that for this kind of money a play or 2 would be in order as well.

Didn't the University of Tennessee get a verbal commitment from his younger brother when the kid was still in sixth or seventh grade?

Berry's performance at least sort of justifies the Whitner pick - he's showing that adding a rookie safety with a high pick can really energize your defense. The problem then switches to the Bills' inability to identify whether or not Donte was an elite safety, and not their blunder in drafting a safety at all instead of a lineman.

True. At some point the onus is on the player(s).