A Tradedown Draft

Wizard

Question: When was the last time Buffalo traded down in the first round of a draft? Let me know.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the year for Buffalo to trade down in the 1st round to stockpile more picks. A lot of teams need quarterbacks and the Bills will probably be the first team to have a true need for a quarterback. I'm not a huge Fitz supporter but I'd rather have him, a 1st round pick, and two potential extra picks than having Fitz and a Mallett/Newton/Locker/etc. The Panthers, Broncos, and Browns who draft right around us all selected quarterbacks last year (Clausen, Tebow, and McCoy), sot he chances of them taking the first rated quarterback (with Luck being out of the draft now) is really good.

Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, and Washington all pick in the top 10 and have just as bad of quarterback needs as Buffalo does long-term.

THIS IS THE YEAR TO TRADE DOWN!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: When was the last time Buffalo traded down in the first round of a draft? Let me know.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the year for Buffalo to trade down in the 1st round to stockpile more picks. A lot of teams need quarterbacks and the Bills will probably be the first team to have a true need for a quarterback. I'm not a huge Fitz supporter but I'd rather have him, a 1st round pick, and two potential extra picks than having Fitz and a Mallett/Newton/Locker/etc. The Panthers, Broncos, and Browns who draft right around us all selected quarterbacks last year (Clausen, Tebow, and McCoy), sot he chances of them taking the first rated quarterback (with Luck being out of the draft now) is really good.

Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, and Washington all pick in the top 10 and have just as bad of quarterback needs as Buffalo does long-term.

I would love to see them be able to trade down 5-10 spots for an extra 2nd rounder, but I don't see anyone

wanting to trade up for any of the available QBs. Mallett, Newton and Gabbert are guys that will get

picked in round 1, but the teams will have to convince themselve to take them rather than being excited

to do so. Who among those 3 is worth a top 10 pick? Is there any difference among them even?

Still would love the Bills to trade down, but I don't see the trade involving someone moving up for one

of those QBs. Barring a trade, I would also like to see the Bills pass on QB in round 1 - again because

none of the QBs strike me as can't miss prospects. I could be wrong of course, but that's how I see it.

I think we target a trade with a Washington. They're picking 10th and they may very well want to leapfrog AZ and San Fran. Harabaugh and Shanahan probably want the same type of QB. To move back 7 spots, we'd likely pickup the 41st pick to go along with the 10th. That looks pretty good to me. 3 picks in the top 41. We could rebuild our front 7 before we even made our 3rd round pick. I see this more as a deep draft than I do a high-end talent type anyways. I'd go defensive end, inside linebacker, and outside linebacker unless a big time O-tackle fell to us at some point.

I think we target a trade with a Washington. They're picking 10th and they may very well want to leapfrog AZ and San Fran. Harabaugh and Shanahan probably want the same type of QB. To move back 7 spots, we'd likely pickup the 41st pick to go along with the 10th. That looks pretty good to me. 3 picks in the top 41. We could rebuild our front 7 before we even made our 3rd round pick. I see this more as a deep draft than I do a high-end talent type anyways. I'd go defensive end, inside linebacker, and outside linebacker unless a big time O-tackle fell to us at some point.

wash always looks to make a big splash...if they can smooth things out with mcnabb they may want to move up and take aj green to give him a real threat or even cam newton to replace mcnabb.

To answer your question, the last time we traded down was 2001.

The Bills traded their first-round selection (14th overall, used to select Kenyatta Walker) to Tampa Bay for their first-round selection (21st overall, used to select Nate Clements). They then traded their newly acquired second-round selection (51st overall, used to select Paul Toviessi) to Denver for their second-round selection (58th overall, used to select Travis Henry) and their fourth-round selection (110th overall, used to select Brandon Spoon). The Bills also had a 46th pick in the 2nd and selected Aaron Schoebel.

Of the five players - Walker (14- TB), Clements (21-Buf), Schoebel (46-Buf), Toviessi (51-Denver), and Henry (58-Buf) all five of the Buffalo players played in a Pro Bowl.

Walker lasted 6 seasons and never was able to be the solid LT that Tampa Bay was looking for.

Clements played for 5 years in Buffalo and was a Pro Bowler in 2004. In 2007 Clements became the highest paid defensive player in NFL history after signing an eight-year, $80 million with $22 million guaranteed deal with the San Francisco 49ers. He had many injuries and never played to the level he did as Bill.

Schoebel played his entire career with the Bills, retiring in 2010. He made Pro Bowls in 06 and 07. he is one of the all time leaders in games played for a defensive linemen and also in sacks.

Toviessi was injured as a rookie and never played a down in the NFL

Henry made the Pro Bowl as a Bill in 2002. He was traded to the Titans in 2005 for a 3rd round pick (lost his job to McGahee in 2004) and also played for the Broncos. He never reached the same level as his early days with the Bills. He also had significant off field issues.

Edited by Bob in STL

2001?

Buffalo Bills traded their first-round (No. 14) selection to Tampa Bay for the Buccaneers first- (No. 21) and second-round (No. 51) selections. Tampa Bay selected Kenyatta Walker, OT, Florida State. Buffalo selected Nate Clements, DB, Ohio State and traded No. 51 to Denver.

Buffalo Bills traded their second-round (No. 51) selection to Denver for the Broncos second- (No. 58) and fourth-round (No. 110) selections. Denver selected Paul Toviessi, DE, Marshall. Buffalo selected Travis Henry, RB, Tennessee and Brandon Spoon, LB, North Carolina.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/draft/news/2001/04/21/nfl_trades_saturday/

wash always looks to make a big splash...if they can smooth things out with mcnabb they may want to move up and take aj green to give him a real threat or even cam newton to replace mcnabb.

The Redskin situatin has changed with the McNabb fiasco. Shanahan is more likely to want to trade down and re-coup some picks he lost in the McNabb deal. The Skins under Shanahan are not going to pursue the expensive splashy free agent type of player. They are more likely to address their multiple needs with mid-level type of players on the free agent market.

Haynesworth, McNabb and Portis will not be on the roster next year. He is in the process of reshaping his roster to get his type of players.

No trades, no gimmick players. Just draft one of the big guys that can play effectively on the DL.

I hear you. Maybe I am to optimistic about our secondary's potential, but I feel that a big time D-line, even at the expense of losing a couple of FA dbs, will turn this defense around.

The Redskin situatin has changed with the McNabb fiasco. Shanahan is more likely to want to trade down and re-coup some picks he lost in the McNabb deal. The Skins under Shanahan are not going to pursue the expensive splashy free agent type of player. They are more likely to address their multiple needs with mid-level type of players on the free agent market.

Haynesworth, McNabb and Portis will not be on the roster next year. He is in the process of reshaping his roster to get his type of players.

the skins only lose a 4th this year from the mcnabb deal and with him under contract they may be able to get a pick in return for him and this also goes for haynesworth. i could see them going either way in the draft and also staying still.

I hear you. Maybe I am to optimistic about our secondary's potential, but I feel that a big time D-line, even at the expense of losing a couple of FA dbs, will turn this defense around.

The way I see it, our secondary at least has potential while our front 7 is unquestionably a disaster. Fix the biggest problems first.

2001?

Buffalo Bills traded their first-round (No. 14) selection to Tampa Bay for the Buccaneers first- (No. 21) and second-round (No. 51) selections. Tampa Bay selected Kenyatta Walker, OT, Florida State. Buffalo selected Nate Clements, DB, Ohio State and traded No. 51 to Denver.

Buffalo Bills traded their second-round (No. 51) selection to Denver for the Broncos second- (No. 58) and fourth-round (No. 110) selections. Denver selected Paul Toviessi, DE, Marshall. Buffalo selected Travis Henry, RB, Tennessee and Brandon Spoon, LB, North Carolina

And boy where there a lot of unhappy fans at TSW when the Bills didn't take Walker! :lol:

the skins only lose a 4th this year from the mcnabb deal and with him under contract they may be able to get a pick in return for him and this also goes for haynesworth. i could see them going either way in the draft and also staying still.

The Skins gave up a second round pick in 2010 and either a third or fourth round pick in this upcoming draft. I'm not sure how much value McNabb has in a trade because everyone knows that he won't be back with the Skins next year.

I don't get the sense that the Skins would trade away picks to move up because they are already drafting from a fairly high position and they have many needs to address. Shanahan has a history of valuing lower round picks in order to draft running backs and offensive linemen (guards).

Henry made the Pro Bowl as a Bill in 2002. He was traded to the Titans in 2005 for a 3rd round pick (lost his job to McGahee in 2004) and also played for the Broncos. He never reached the same level as his early days with the Bills. He also had significant off field issues.

Maybe he was never the same, but he sure did get his revenge on the Bills...in one of (or perhaps the) final games of 2006 he ran for 135 while with the Titans, then ran for 139 and had 44 receiving yards in the 2007 opener while with the Brocos. Both games at the Ralph, both one point losses.

Clements was definitely our last first-round trade down; I'm not convinced we've done it in any other round, either. And there are usually 40 or so trades per draft, counting all the late round action, and each one involves SOMEONE trading down. This is definitely a team policy, for reasons that aren't clear to me.

Ay some positions yes, but at OT for example there are going to be normal mid 2nd rounders going in teh 1st because there isnt elite talent at OT this year. I would be fine with tradeing back but I think we could get more by going after 2012 1st rounders.

I can see different situations working out. I mean, it depends how they view Bowers and Fairley, or Groves... if they (I mean our F.O.) think that one of those guys is capable of being a real force, then I'd love to have another stud on our D-line - which I think is really the wisest move, because, rather than try to strike gold on a bunch of different positions, we should maximize the players who we know are really good already - K. Williams, by bringing in a star to team up with him. By the way, Carrington will look better as is, next year, so by getting a stud D-lineman, all the guys around him get better, and he can be more effective, too.

There's that scenario. Then, there is the trade down and pick up extra picks. When you do that, though, you usually end up picking best player on board, as there are always the guys who drop a bit more than anyone expected... so that might end up being a mixed group, as opposed to isolating on the front seven. Still, I think that 2001 draft that was mentioned was our best in two decades. We aren't that far off from having a really nice defensive roster, only two good linebackers and a D-lineman, and maybe another stud in the secondary. 4 guys could be added in one offseason.

Ay some positions yes, but at OT for example there are going to be normal mid 2nd rounders going in teh 1st because there isnt elite talent at OT this year. I would be fine with tradeing back but I think we could get more by going after 2012 1st rounders.

I think you and I are going to be agreeing a lot this offseason.

To answer your question, the last time we traded down was 2001.

The Bills traded their first-round selection (14th overall, used to select Kenyatta Walker) to Tampa Bay for their first-round selection (21st overall, used to select Nate Clements). They then traded their newly acquired second-round selection (51st overall, used to select Paul Toviessi) to Denver for their second-round selection (58th overall, used to select Travis Henry) and their fourth-round selection (110th overall, used to select Brandon Spoon). The Bills also had a 46th pick in the 2nd and selected Aaron Schoebel.

Of the five players - Walker (14- TB), Clements (21-Buf), Schoebel (46-Buf), Toviessi (51-Denver), and Henry (58-Buf) all five of the Buffalo players played in a Pro Bowl.

Walker lasted 6 seasons and never was able to be the solid LT that Tampa Bay was looking for.

Clements played for 5 years in Buffalo and was a Pro Bowler in 2004. In 2007 Clements became the highest paid defensive player in NFL history after signing an eight-year, $80 million with $22 million guaranteed deal with the San Francisco 49ers. He had many injuries and never played to the level he did as Bill.

Schoebel played his entire career with the Bills, retiring in 2010. He made Pro Bowls in 06 and 07. he is one of the all time leaders in games played for a defensive linemen and also in sacks.

Toviessi was injured as a rookie and never played a down in the NFL

Wow! Thanks...it seems like trading down worked in the past...let's do it again