I Was A Brohm Fan

T master

Before last weeks game i was one that wanted to see just what we had in Brian Brohm . After seeing the game i am no longer thinking that he can cut it in the NFL .

He has had the entire year to learn the system coach Gailey has implemented & yet he couldn't get the reads fast enough to find any one down field , for cryin out loud at least Edwards found some one to dump the ball off to .

I guess this is just an apology to all of you that i ragged on over this past year about giving Brohm a chance . Well he had his chance & didn't prove much to any one on the team or the fan base .

So now i will move on - LET'S GIVE BROWN A CHANCE COME ON HE CAN'T SIT THE BENCH ALL THE TIME LET'S SEE WHAT HE'S GOT !! sorry got a little carried away !!!

Before last weeks game i was one that wanted to see just what we had in Brian Brohm . After seeing the game i am no longer thinking that he can cut it in the NFL .

He has had the entire year to learn the system coach Gailey has implemented & yet he couldn't get the reads fast enough to find any one down field , for cryin out loud at least Edwards found some one to dump the ball off to .

I guess this is just an apology to all of you that i ragged on over this past year about giving Brohm a chance . Well he had his chance & didn't prove much to any one on the team or the fan base .

So now i will move on - LET'S GIVE BROWN A CHANCE COME ON HE CAN'T SIT THE BENCH ALL THE TIME LET'S SEE WHAT HE'S GOT !! sorry got a little carried away !!!

Ehh...it happens...back in 1988 I was pissed that the rookie Thurman Thomas was getting more carries than my boy Rob Riddick...

That said, not sure what to make of Brohm. It does appear that he is not roster-worthy, right now...he looked very slow to me. Like he just couldn't handle the speed of the game. Granted, the O-line isn't always great, and he was with, really, only 1 starting receiver, but that was a brutal game. I remember in pre-season, Brohm looked really good for the first 80 yards, but, it was pretty noticeable, he had trouble in the red zone. After seeing what Fitzpatrick was able to do, it really seems like Brohms' "skill set", even at its' best, is not fitted to Gailey's offense. I think jboy is likely right...he won't be in Buffalo next year.

Sometimes you've got to believe what the coaches are telling you. Sometimes.

Don't worry to much about it we all have probably had at least one player that we thought was more than he was I know I have. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Mine was Todd Collins :blush: I think it's more to do with being a Bills fan than anything else because you just want the Bills to do well. :beer:

Edited by shadowcat10

I agree.

I wasn't necessarily a fan but I was curious to see what he had. I wanted to see what he looked like after taking snaps with the first team during the week. It was one of the biggest let downs in quite a while. By the 3rd quarter I was wearing a brown paper bag over my head in my own family room. There is no way he should have been on the roster.

Thank goodness Fitz did not get injured. Now I'm curious about Levi Brown. What is he about? does he even have the potential to be a backup in this league? If not, stop wasting time on these guys and get an experience vet that may be on the down side that knows the speed of the game and can produce for a couple of games. I would much rather have a John Kitna than a Brian Brohm any day.

he did look decent in the preseason. but there was abvously a reason that greenbay had him on the practice squad.

not trying to bring this up but in all honestly jp losman would make a 20x's better 3rd string qb for this team

instead of brohm (just like his role in seattle). hell even the baddest man in town levi brown would prob

be a better fit as the backup

:oops: Ok, I too was a believer.

I remember watching him at Louisville and talking with friends who went there. He was a can't miss type of guy who just needed to be worked into the pro game.

I didn't think the Atlanta game in '09 was a fair shot and really wanted to see more of him in the preseason that was handed over to Trent. Frankly, as I watched him in the preseason games even with limited play I started to doubt. The Jet game left no doubts .... he had a great collegiate career but it's now time for him to go coach some high school team and enter the real working world.

Levi deserves a shot but every year there are experienced cast off's who can sit nicely as a #2 behind Fitz until we find our QB for the extended future. I feel comfortable with our offense behind Fitz getting to the playoff's if we address our defensive gaps and that started this week with the canning of the ILB coach!

Time to wave bye bye to Maybin, McCargo and a few others ...

GO BILLS

I was a curious fan also...I thought Brohm had something and I thought that since his college days.

He may still have it, but he had an opportunity and instead of throwing the ball and taking chances he had doubt and it showed. Time for the Bills to move on and give someoone else the opportunity.

Yeah, I'm going to bet that Brohm's thrown his last NFL pass. He'll probably get no tender in the offseason, sign somewhere in training camp, get cut, and call it a day. I think going into next year, we'll have Levi on the roster as the 3rd string guy (he needs a lot more development), and either have a shining new rookie backing up Fitzpatrick until the first struggle/injury from #14, or else a veteran backup.

Looking over the UFA lists, I'd say there's a good chance Chan brings in Tyler Thigpen, or else looks at an older, mentor-type guy like Matt Hasselbeck or Chad Pennington.

Ehh...it happens...back in 1988 I was pissed that the rookie Thurman Thomas was getting more carries than my boy Rob Riddick...

That said, not sure what to make of Brohm. It does appear that he is not roster-worthy, right now...he looked very slow to me. Like he just couldn't handle the speed of the game. Granted, the O-line isn't always great, and he was with, really, only 1 starting receiver, but that was a brutal game. I remember in pre-season, Brohm looked really good for the first 80 yards, but, it was pretty noticeable, he had trouble in the red zone. After seeing what Fitzpatrick was able to do, it really seems like Brohms' "skill set", even at its' best, is not fitted to Gailey's offense. I think jboy is likely right...he won't be in Buffalo next year.

Not a Brohm backer but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Jets game. Right side of the O-line was down to street guys after our second stringers went down, our receiving corps was decimated, and he had Mr. Calvin Pace in his face all day.

On the other hand I think Chan and Cortez probably have a pretty good fix on the guy. Don't know if he sticks next year. Almost certainly won't if Chan gets his way a drafts a QB.

Does the Qb's skill fit our offense? Someone thought Brohm did. But we are changing and moving forward. One of the things that bothered me pretty quckly and then pounded it's way home during the jets game was that Brian just could not adjust/change to the Jet blitz. At all.

He got the deer in the headlight thing going. It got sad.

JUST THROW IT! (sorry).

We will get another backup and keep Levi.

and he will be picked up next season.

Against the Jets D (personnel be damned they still brought it pretty tough) and without Lee, Roscoe, and Nelson (we all know the status/experience of the guys who WERE playing receiver) I'd say Brian Brohm would have to be pretty damn "ready" to have looked good last Sunday.

Edited by The Big Cat

Nice to know that we can still judge a player's entire future career based on 1 game. To me, he looked like a rookie that was playing in only his 2nd NFL game, behind a patchwork offensive line that was completely unable to handle any sort of blitz, sprinkled in with UFA rookies as his hot read receivers. I'm surprised he got out of that game alive.

By no means am I suggesting he should start over Ftiz, he didn't look like a starter but he didn't do everything bad either. Had Gailey actually ran the ball more or ran some screens maybe he could have slowed the blitz down a little. But, I don't think anyone really cared at that point. I say, depending upon who they draft, I have no problem with Brohm backing up Fitz again.

personally im not ready to close the books on brohm

like chan said after the game, brohm knew what he was doing mentally but just wasnt used to the speed of live play. most of the time he was doing a good job of making reads and getting the ball to the right place, for example in the opening drive where he had them marching down the field before johnson started waving it around like a cheap handbag and fumbled. you could tell he was struggling to adapt to full gamespeed cuz he got hit like three of four times before completing his throwing motion - after which he admittedly appeared to lose some composure before being eventually replaced by brown

sure, he might never make it in the league, but its normally a lot harder to make the reads (mental skills) than fix a throwing timing issue (physical skills) so theres a decent chance with more playing time he would have been better prepared for the timing

my question to chan would be why the heck didnt you give brohm a couple searies in the two blowouts that fitz started? on two different occassions he had the chance to give brohm some gametime conditions work in a game that was way out of reach and chan declined. why in the world would you not try to get your backup in those games? whatever added value fitz and the rest of the team by getting extra reps together is paled by exactly what we saw happen - a backup who struggled with game timing because he never got any looks. i mean if youre not gonna get some playing time for your backup in blowouts like that, when the hell ARE you gonna get him some time?

i like chan but i really think he blew that situation

That has been a dilemna this year. We Know we need to work our backups in the real games, but when should we have played them?

We did not have the luxury this year as we had to give it all till the end.

So if we keep brohm how do we find out if he can backup Fitz? I like the kid but he failed at his chance. and i think the youngsters call it.. Epic fail.

If it was Levi i would give him a pass being a rookie. But i must lean towards a better option.

Sorry Brian

Looking at Brohm in college made me think he would get it done....

If he would have come out that one year he may have been a top 5 pick....but he waited.....then he was mishandled horribly......

None of that matters now.....clearly he cannot process information fast enough to be a starting NFL QB....Brown out of Troy actually showed more and had the bigger arm.

I never understood what there was about the guy to 'believe'. Did people just think the folks in Green Bay don't know how to evaluate talent? How often does a practice squad QB become a viable starter?

they didn't when Kurt Warner was on, and then was dropped from, their roster.

Not a Brohm backer but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Jets game. Right side of the O-line was down to street guys after our second stringers went down, our receiving corps was decimated, and he had Mr. Calvin Pace in his face all day.

On the other hand I think Chan and Cortez probably have a pretty good fix on the guy. Don't know if he sticks next year. Almost certainly won't if Chan gets his way a drafts a QB.

And this I agree with. He clearly has a lot of work to do if he's ever going to amount to anything in the NFL.