The Bills are on the right track

1billsfan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God bless you kool-aid drinkers.

You gotta do some serious crack to talk this way.

+1

First rule of Modrak Club: it's never Modraks fault.

Second rule is not talking about where the free crack is. It's this and calling Lenny Pastabelly with all your favorite in-hindsight picks from 3 years ago Buffalo missed on.

You gotta do some serious crack to talk this way.

Second rule is not talking about where the free crack is. It's this and calling Lenny Pastabelly with all your favorite in-hindsight picks from 3 years ago Buffalo missed on.

Vet, everytime I see one of your posts and read that line on the bottom, about I know we havent had anything in cheer about in a decade, but I think your being negative.....I just laugh my butt off.

Edited by billsfan714

The Bills just got their asses handed to them by a Jets team playing half their 2nd stringers. I fail to see how anyone can say we're on the right track.

Yes, a few weeks ago I was optimistic that this team was turning a corner. But, the last 2 games have shown me that, if anything, they turned that corner and found a closed door. We've been completely outperformed in every phase of the game (offense, defense, special teams, and coaching) by 2 division teams.

Given that Nix's first draft produced maybe 1 decent starter, I find it hard to have a lot of optimism going into this draft. Given that Gailey's off season player evaluation led to Edwards starting and Jackson as the 3rd RB on opening day, I find it hard to have a lot of optimism in his ability to make the proper personnel moves. Given that Edwards' defense has been shredded in every recordable statistic and Gailey says he has no plans to make staff changes, I find it hard to have a lot of optimism that a couple of players will dramatically improve the defense.

In short, I find it hard to have any optimism about this team at all. We'll see what FAs they bring in and who they draft; but given what they did in the last year of running the team, I'm not holding my breath that they'll ever fill the holes that need to be filled on this team.

Wish I could be more optimistic, but I can't.

God bless you kool-aid drinkers.

Amen.

What will it take for the Kool-Aid crowd to face reality? This is truly unbelievable.

Gailey is Lombardi.

Fitzpatrick is Johnny Unitas.

The defense is the '85 Bears minus 10 players.

No argument is too ridiculous for the Kool-Aid gang and yet everyday brings another preposterous rationalization for failure. This is hilarious. Can these posters be serious?

QB - We finally have our franchise QB in Fitzpatrick. In a couple of years this team will be poised to win a Superbowl with this guy leading the way. I truly believe that. He's Buffalo's version of Drew Brees. Though he's not quite as accurate as Brees, he still averaged almost two TDs a game with virtually no substantial running game to speak of, and no TE. Tough, smart, throws TD passes through small windows…what's not to like? Enough with the insane talk of Cam Newton.

I like Fitz alot too and think that if we addressed other holes (TE, T, G, DT, LB) Fitz could take us a long way. With time to throw and a running game that had to be respected and an upgrade at TE and WR, he'd be very effective.

Receivers - We have receivers coming out of our yin yang. Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Nelson, Roosevelt

Yes, we have lot of WRs. Some are good. But they're not really good. I think we need an upgrade here. A real playmaker or rock solid guy like Santonio Holmes or DwShawn Jackson or TJ WhoseYerMama. I like Steve Johnson at the beginning of the year but I'm not so sure now. He seems to have a hard time holding onto the ball.

RBs - We have two really good backs that are the perfect complimentary combination of power and finesse.

We have one really good back and one with potential (which means he hasn't done it yet). CJ needs a lot of work in the off season and to really pick up his game next year to be "really good".

TEs - This is something we need to become a real powerhouse team.

Not sure about this. does Coach Gailey like to use TEs in his offense? I didn't see guys not making catches or not blocking etc this year. I just didn't see the ball thrown to them much. Is this because our TEs are not good, or Coach Gailey just doesn't really use them much in his O?

O Line - Solid group that needs one or two more behemoths away from a dominating group.

I hate to be a downer here, but I saw nothing in OLine play this year that made me think they are any better than they were the year before. I hope you're right though.

D Line - We still need two solid players here to become dominating. This is where the 1st pick in the draft can fill one of those holes.

The only thing on our DLine that was decent this year was Williams. Stroud is either done or out of position. If we want to go back to 4-2, we can put him and Williams in the middle. We were close to last in run D and you really think we're close here? I'm with you in hoping for a beat DE in that #3 pick.

The DC position could use a substantial upgrade. I just don't think Edwards can pull the same weight on defense that Gailey does with the offense.

We need a new DC ASAP if no sooner. If the Fish dump Mike Nolan, hire him fast. He and some additional talent could turn this thing around pretty quick I think.

I felt that maybe we had turned the corner somewhat after 14 games. The last 2 though were as bad as the first few. so now I'm not so sure.

It's going to be a loooooooooooooooooong off season.

QB - We finally have our franchise QB in Fitzpatrick. In a couple of years this team will be poised to win a Superbowl with this guy leading the way. I truly believe that. He's Buffalo's version of Drew Brees. Though he's not quite as accurate as Brees, he still averaged almost two TDs a game with virtually no substantial running game to speak of, and no TE. Tough, smart, throws TD passes through small windows…what's not to like? Enough with the insane talk of Cam Newton.

Receivers - We have receivers coming out of our yin yang. Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Nelson, Roosevelt

RBs - We have two really good backs that are the perfect complimentary combination of power and finesse.

O Line - Solid group that needs one or two more behemoths away from a dominating group.

D Line - We still need two solid players here to become dominating. This is where the 1st pick in the draft can fill one of those holes.

LBs - We need two solid players here also to have a solid group.

DBs - We are set here. Once we can get a few playmakers up front, these guys can start getting some easy interceptions.

That's about seven players away, seems like it's doable that we can find 4 of them this offseason.

Special Teams - This was a major disappointment, but this shouldn't be all that hard to become a positive force with all of the skilled return players that we have.

Coaching - Chan Gailey has done a great job this season. Even though the record didn't show it, I see a team that's poised to take the next step. Players know their rolls, the locker room is gelling, you can see a team with a foundation to make a big rebound in 2011. The DC position could use a substantial upgrade. I just don't think Edwards can pull the same weight on defense that Gailey does with the offense.

Final Note - This team needs to concentrate on getting a few playmakers on defense, a couple of behemoths for the O line to get the running game going, teach the skill guys to stop fighting for extra yards and hold onto the ball instead of getting it stripped from them, and to rip the ball from the opposing players. Stripping players of the ball is a league wide practice that will only continue to grow in popularity and the Bills need to start teaching their players to get down on the ground when they are surrounded. Getting two extra yards is not worth it fellas.

I feel like we finally have a foundation of players. I feel like it's the mid-eighties again! Here's hoping that breakout "we have something serious brewing again" year comes in 2011!

RIGHT ON RUSS BRANDON.

I THINK YOUR SEASON TICKET SALES WILL HIT CLOSE TO 62,000.

PLEASE GIVE MR. WILSON MY PERSONAL THANK YOU FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON IN 2011.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Chan Gailey has done a great job this season. Even though the record didn't show it, I see a team that's poised to take the next step. Players know their rolls, the locker room is gelling, you can see a team with a foundation to make a big rebound in 2011. The DC position could use a substantial upgrade.

Wow. You just took the fine art of optimism (or crack smoking, one or the other) to a entirely new level.

You hit every possible point I think. Fitz a franchise QB. A couple years not from the playoffs, but from the SB. Whew.

And my favorite part I quoted.

The feel good, can we all just get a group hug, screw the facts this is a playoff caliber team right now dammit homily.

You my friend absolutely have to be the #1 Bills fan and my hat goes off to you.

Wow. You just took the fine art of optimism (or crack smoking, one or the other) to a entirely new level.

You hit every possible point I think. Fitz a franchise QB. A couple years not from the playoffs, but from the SB. Whew.

And my favorite part I quoted.

The feel good, can we all just get a group hug, screw the facts this is a playoff caliber team right now dammit homily.

You my friend absolutely have to be the #1 Bills fan and my hat goes off to you.

I've been ripping into this team the last few years. I saw what this team did against supposed really good teams like the Ravens, Steelers, Bears, Chiefs. This team can absolutely turn those into wins next year.

I think that a whole lot of fans here are stuck on the NFL of a few years ago, when there were 5 or 6 really dominant teams. I look around the league now and see only one dominant team remaining, the Patriots. While that sucks that their in our division, what doesn't suck is that the Bills are only a few players away to challenge these other flawed teams that are currently in the playoffs.

The landscape is not nearly as bad as people here think.

I like Fitz too but you lost all credibility with this...

:lol::blink::wacko:

Fitzpatrick took about 30 games to become a real NFL quarterback just like Drew Brees. In his first three years Brees was considered a failure. Even after two good seasons for SD, Miami didn't even go crazy trying to sign the guy.

So while Fitzpatrick may not have the accuracy of Brees like I said, he does seem to have had the same learning curve as him. Throwing 23 touchdown passes in 13 games against all of the top defenses that he faced was very impressive. He boosted his QB rating 12 points this year from last. He made no name undrafted rookies look like pretty good players. He made Stevie Johnson look like a pro bowler. So yes, I do think he's our version of Drew Brees. I can't wait to see if he can get even better next year. I think he can. I don't think he'll ever reach the elite level of Brees, but I think he could eventually become just a notch below him.

Im sorry I cant agree dude, this is one of the most delusional posts Ive read in a while and I spend way too much time on this site.

Fitz as a SB caliber QB? Maybe for the 2000 Ravens but that’s about it. He wouldn’t be starting for a single playoff team this year if he was on one of the rosters, including the Jets and Seahawks where he would likely be 3rd string behind Hassleback (entrenched starter) and Whitehurst(young up & comer/future of franchise). Don’t forget good QBs didn’t make the playoffs too (like Rivers)

We have two really good RBs? That was last year. This year we have 1 RB who will likely slow down and an unproven rookie who didn’t have a single rushing TD this season

Our OL needs 2 behemoths to be decent, not dominating, Our DL needs 2 players to be great - well that’s 2/3rds of the equations when we are playing a 3-4, and why would you assume we get a good played in the draft? We haven’t done that in 10+ years. We needs 2LBs to be decent, not set, and our DBs are about to walk out the door and be decimated.

Man some of you guys are nuts.... one poster even wants to trade our best player and one of the top DLman in the NFL from this season for a TE when TE is the most liquidated position in FA!!!

I think the jury is still out on Fitzpatrick. He appears to shine at times, but when its essential to win, he balks. Perhaps he is our future, but he didn't show much this year.

As for Johnson, he showed some terrific catches and some huge drops. He needs more consistency, and it's likely Evans is history.

Two really good running backs? Who, Freddy and Spiller? Freddy looks tired, and Spiller I think he is another bust.

LBs - We need two solid players here also to have a solid group.

DBs - We are set here. Once we can get a few playmakers up front, these guys can start getting some easy interceptions.

That's about seven players away, seems like it's doable that we can find 4 of them this offseason.

Special Teams - This was a major disappointment, but this shouldn't be all that hard to become a positive force with all of the skilled return players that we have.

You are right there, there was nothing SPECIAL about this squad. In fact, I wasn't overly impressed with Lindell or Moorman this year. Both look tired and not as accurate as in previous seasons.

Coaching - Chan Gailey has done a great job this season. Even though the record didn't show it, I see a team that's poised to take the next step. Players know their rolls, the locker room is gelling, you can see a team with a foundation to make a big rebound in 2011. The DC position could use a substantial upgrade. I just don't think Edwards can pull the same weight on defense that Gailey does with the offense.

Final Note - This team needs to concentrate on getting a few playmakers on defense, a couple of behemoths for the O line to get the running game going, teach the skill guys to stop fighting for extra yards and hold onto the ball instead of getting it stripped from them, and to rip the ball from the opposing players. Stripping players of the ball is a league wide practice that will only continue to grow in popularity and the Bills need to start teaching their players to get down on the ground when they are surrounded. Getting two extra yards is not worth it fellas.

I feel like we finally have a foundation of players. I feel like it's the mid-eighties again! Here's hoping that breakout "we have something serious brewing again" year comes in 2011!

I think we are two years away from getting a winning season, and at least four from the playoffs. But I said the same thing back in 86, and it only took three years.

Just as people may have overreacted when the Bills beat four bad teams (Lions,Bengals,Browns and Dolphins), I think they are overreacting to two miserable losses at the end of the season...

I have been as down on this franchise as anyone over the last 3 or 4 years, but I am cautiously optimistic about some of the things I saw this season. I do feel like there has been noticeable improvement made, even if the win-loss record doesn't reflect it.

From week 3 through 15, this team, as flawed as they are, played football with a passion I thought had long died in Buffalo, at least amongst the players. They played hard every week, and came back for more, even when they got their teeth kicked in. That is a reflection of their coach. These last two weeks, they finally broke down...I am not entirely convinced there was an all-out effort made to beat the Jets, and the Bills are just simply not in the Pats class, yet...

This coaching staff has been evaluating talent all season, knowing that, in effect, this was one long, extended training camp...trying to establish a new identity for this team, that, as painful as it is to say, had become a gutless, soft band of taffy assed, check collectors, as a whole. Gailey has been weeding out the problem players all season...there will be more guys shown the door...and some unknowns plugging those holes.

If nothing else, IMO, this team is markedly improved on the sidelines...I can't tell you how awful I think Dick Jauron was for this franchise, and I probably don't need to. I think Trent Edwards became the poster boy for Dick Jauron style poor coaching. Kudos to Chan for recognizing that...better late then never.

When Edwards was released, I was one of those who initially thought "this team is so dysfunctional, they don't know what they hell they are doing!" Not that I was big on Edwards, anymore, just thought this should have been done before the season started...but Gailey said something that won me over. When asked why the Bills would cut Edwards now, instead of after the season, his answer (and I paraphrase), "because I didn't ever want to be tempted to go down that road again."

In other words, he was thinking about the future of the team, and had made the final assessment that Edwards had no future in Buffalo, why keep him around...the coach is looking for ways to win more games, and had come to the conclusion, with some conviction, that Edwards would never help the Bills in this area. I thought that was an outstanding answer, and was as definitive as I have heard any Bills head coach talk since Marv Levy, or Chuck Knox.

Again, far from turning the corner, but at least making some progress....can't wait for August!

Edited by Buftex