The Bills are on the right track

1billsfan

Just as people may have overreacted when the Bills beat four bad teams (Lions,Bengals,Browns and Dolphins), I think they are overreacting to two miserable losses at the end of the season...

I have been as down on this franchise as anyone over the last 3 or 4 years, but I am cautiously optimistic about some of the things I saw this season. I do feel like there has been noticeable improvement made, even if the win-loss record doesn't reflect it.

From week 3 through 15, this team, as flawed as they are, played football with a passion I thought had long died in Buffalo, at least amongst the players. They played hard every week, and came back for more, even when they got their teeth kicked in. That is a reflection of their coach. These last two weeks, they finally broke down...I am not entirely convinced there was an all-out effort made to beat the Jets, and the Bills are just simply not in the Pats class, yet...

This coaching staff has been evaluating talent all season, knowing that, in effect, this was one long, extended training camp...trying to establish a new identity for this team, that, as painful as it is to say, had become a gutless, soft band of taffy assed, check collectors, as a whole. Gailey has been weeding out the problem players all season...there will be more guys shown the door...and some unknowns plugging those holes.

If nothing else, IMO, this team is markedly improved on the sidelines...I can't tell you how awful I think Dick Jauron was for this franchise, and I probably don't need to. I think Trent Edwards became the poster boy for Dick Jauron style poor coaching. Kudos to Chan for recognizing that...better late then never.

When Edwards was released, I was one of those who initially thought "this team is so dysfunctional, they don't know what they hell they are doing!" Not that I was big on Edwards, anymore, just thought this should have been done before the season started...but Gailey said something that won me over. When asked why the Bills would cut Edwards now, instead of after the season, his answer (and I paraphrase), "because I didn't ever want to be tempted to go down that road again."

In other words, he was thinking about the future of the team, and had made the final assessment that Edwards had no future in Buffalo, why keep him around...the coach is looking for ways to win more games, and had come to the conclusion, with some conviction, that Edwards would never help the Bills in this area. I thought that was an outstanding answer, and was as definitive as I have heard any Bills head coach talk since Marv Levy, or Chuck Knox.

Again, far from turning the corner, but at least making some progress....can't wait for August!

One of the most common refrains in defense of Dick Jauron was that he got his gang of street free agents and rookies to play hard.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most common refrains in defense of Dick Jauron was that he got his gang of street free agents and rookies to play hard.

Biggest myth ever…no matter how you slice it, in the world of the NFL playing "not to lose" is NOT playing hard. Hence his current almost invisible status of being a position coach.

QB - We finally have our franchise QB in Fitzpatrick. In a couple of years this team will be poised to win a Superbowl with this guy leading the way. I truly believe that. He's Buffalo's version of Drew Brees. Though he's not quite as accurate as Brees, he still averaged almost two TDs a game with virtually no substantial running game to speak of, and no TE. Tough, smart, throws TD passes through small windows…what's not to like? Enough with the insane talk of Cam Newton.

Receivers - We have receivers coming out of our yin yang. Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Nelson, Roosevelt

RBs - We have two really good backs that are the perfect complimentary combination of power and finesse.

TEs - This is something we need to become a real powerhouse team.

O Line - Solid group that needs one or two more behemoths away from a dominating group.

D Line - We still need two solid players here to become dominating. This is where the 1st pick in the draft can fill one of those holes.

LBs - We need two solid players here also to have a solid group.

DBs - We are set here. Once we can get a few playmakers up front, these guys can start getting some easy interceptions.

That's about seven players away, seems like it's doable that we can find 4 of them this offseason.

Special Teams - This was a major disappointment, but this shouldn't be all that hard to become a positive force with all of the skilled return players that we have.

Coaching - Chan Gailey has done a great job this season. Even though the record didn't show it, I see a team that's poised to take the next step. Players know their rolls, the locker room is gelling, you can see a team with a foundation to make a big rebound in 2011. The DC position could use a substantial upgrade. I just don't think Edwards can pull the same weight on defense that Gailey does with the offense.

Final Note - This team needs to concentrate on getting a few playmakers on defense, a couple of behemoths for the O line to get the running game going, teach the skill guys to stop fighting for extra yards and hold onto the ball instead of getting it stripped from them, and to rip the ball from the opposing players. Stripping players of the ball is a league wide practice that will only continue to grow in popularity and the Bills need to start teaching their players to get down on the ground when they are surrounded. Getting two extra yards is not worth it fellas.

I feel like we finally have a foundation of players. I feel like it's the mid-eighties again! Here's hoping that breakout "we have something serious brewing again" year comes in 2011!

Ahhhh...and this is why we are in the playoffs? Face it...if we were this talented we should fire the coach for the record we have. The talent is NOT there and Gailey did a pretty good game day job with a very uninspiring talent pool. We have a long way to go to get better and we have to do it with good free agent signings, inspired trading, and a very good draft.

Biggest myth ever…no matter how you slice it, in the world of the NFL playing "not to lose" is NOT playing hard. Hence his current almost invisible status of being a position coach.

Actually, giving any coach (current or former) 100% credit for NFL players acting like professionals is humorous.

And I never baught that, for a second...I don't think Jauron's gangs really played very hard, for the most part. The players like him, because he didn't hold them accountable, and bent over backwards to make excuses for their poor play. I know that part of a coaches job is, to a degree, to deflect criticism from his players, when he knows they are working hard, and putting forth a good effort. But Gailey doesn't throw bouquets or make excuses so easily. I like that.

In the end, the Jauron guys that were self-motivated picked it up, out of their disgust for losing week after week...the rest were just going along for the ride, knowing their was a paycheck at the end of the tunnel.

Fitz a franchise quarterback? I want to be optimistic, but . . . .

Fitz at this point seems to be a serviceable quarterback, but if a franchise quarterback is available when the Bills draft I'd say hustle up to that podium and take him.

I want to believe in Nix and Gailey, but it bothers me that their top draft choices didn't make much of an impact. This coming draft will probably make or break them. I think they will get at least three years, but to be able to turn around the team they need a couple of productive drafts.

QB - We finally have our franchise QB in Fitzpatrick. In a couple of years this team will be poised to win a Superbowl with this guy leading the way. I truly believe that. He's Buffalo's version of Drew Brees. Though he's not quite as accurate as Brees, he still averaged almost two TDs a game with virtually no substantial running game to speak of, and no TE. Tough, smart, throws TD passes through small windows…what's not to like? Enough with the insane talk of Cam Newton.

Receivers - We have receivers coming out of our yin yang. Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Nelson, Roosevelt

RBs - We have two really good backs that are the perfect complimentary combination of power and finesse.

O Line - Solid group that needs one or two more behemoths away from a dominating group.

D Line - We still need two solid players here to become dominating. This is where the 1st pick in the draft can fill one of those holes.

DBs - We are set here. Once we can get a few playmakers up front, these guys can start getting some easy interceptions.

That's about seven players away, seems like it's doable that we can find 4 of them this offseason.

Special Teams - This was a major disappointment, but this shouldn't be all that hard to become a positive force with all of the skilled return players that we have.

Coaching - Chan Gailey has done a great job this season. Even though the record didn't show it, I see a team that's poised to take the next step. Players know their rolls, the locker room is gelling, you can see a team with a foundation to make a big rebound in 2011. The DC position could use a substantial upgrade. I just don't think Edwards can pull the same weight on defense that Gailey does with the offense.

Final Note - This team needs to concentrate on getting a few playmakers on defense, a couple of behemoths for the O line to get the running game going, teach the skill guys to stop fighting for extra yards and hold onto the ball instead of getting it stripped from them, and to rip the ball from the opposing players. Stripping players of the ball is a league wide practice that will only continue to grow in popularity and the Bills need to start teaching their players to get down on the ground when they are surrounded. Getting two extra yards is not worth it fellas.

I feel like we finally have a foundation of players. I feel like it's the mid-eighties again! Here's hoping that breakout "we have something serious brewing again" year comes in 2011!

I have to compliment you optimism, but are you smoking something or just in need of a visit to a head doctor? We don't have anything close to a franchise quarterback, are you kidding? I will give you that Fred Jackson has been a good back, but two good backs who compliment each other? Spiller hasn't done anything to justify the #9 pick, been a good back or complimented anything or anyone. The O-Line is a solid group? They are still one of the worst in the NFL. What solid LB do we have? Poz is a Free Agent, you don't know if Merriman will spend more than 2 consecutive plays on the field before he gets hurt. We are set at our DB's? If I am not mistaken, 3 of our 4 starters are unrestricted free agents, Byrd had a terrible year and McGee managed to play about 4 or 5 games all year. I won't say Chan Gailey as been terrible, but a "great job" please, they won 2 less games that last year's disaster in the last game of the season they pretty much quit on him. Your post was just silly until you compared Fitz to Drew Brees, that made you look quite ridiculous.

This is my favorite part. The 1985 team that went 2-14 had the following players.

Bruce Smith

Andre Reed

Darryl Talley

Jim Ritcher

Pete Metzelaars

Plus we had the rights to Jim Kelly.

Name the guys on the 2010 Bills that come anywhere close to that. That was a core to build around. I still have hopes for Nix and Gailey but this team is still a long way from competing.

I love posts like this!!!!!! :worthy:

This is my favorite part. The 1985 team that went 2-14 had the following players.

Bruce Smith

Andre Reed

Darryl Talley

Jim Ritcher

Pete Metzelaars

Plus we had the rights to Jim Kelly.

Name the guys on the 2010 Bills that come anywhere close to that. That was a core to build around. I still have hopes for Nix and Gailey but this team is still a long way from competing.

Fitzpatrick, Williams, Jackson, Johnson, Wood, Levitre, Moats, Nelson, Byrd, McGee and Spiller. IMO, these guys are just as solid of a foundation which that team had.

Then you have guys like Stroud, Poz, Bell, Merriman and Evans who are good enough to be serviceable starters on a winning team.

The talent level of teams in the NFL is not "all that" right now. You have the Patriots and then a bunch of "also rans." The Bills are much closer to the "also rans" than you may think. Just look at how this team performed the Ravens, Steelers, Bears, Chiefs and Dolphins. That was not smoke and mirrors, our team just needs a few more players to get that 9 or 10 win season in 2011. Throw the record away, I saw a big difference in this team's ability than in years past.

Let's get some front seven defenders in here, get some holes opened up for our RBs and teach these guys to hold onto the ball instead of fight for meaningless extra one or two yards.