Bye bye Donte...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for showing everyone why it is better to build a defense from up the middle by starting with a DT and not a SS who is bad in coverage.

And when Poz is not resigned, Marv Levy's failure will be complete...

It amazes me how often I have seen Whitner back into the pile, actually propel himself backwards into a tackle, or into the pile.

Has anyone else noticed this Donte "tackling" style over the years?

It amazes me how often I have seen Whitner back into the pile, actually propel himself backwards into a tackle, or into the pile.

Most definitely. I brought this up once and Whitner apologists scoffed at the notion. I wish it were made up but it's true.

Here's my problem. Neither Poz or Donte is great, they are both average. But how many fricken holes can we patch in a year? So we keep KW, Merriman, Carrington, Troup, Moats, Byrd, Florence and Dwan and let everyone else go? We need help at DE, NT, OLB, ILB. If we had a hint of a rush, the DB's would look better automatically.

Here's my problem. Neither Poz or Donte is great, they are both average. But how many fricken holes can we patch in a year? So we keep KW, Merriman, Carrington, Troup, Moats, Byrd, Florence and Dwan and let everyone else go? We need help at DE, NT, OLB, ILB. If we had a hint of a rush, the DB's would look better automatically.

Florence & George Wilson are both UFAs. So without resigning Poz or Whitner they'll have to use offseason resources, based on track record likely draft choices, to replace them.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Thanks for showing everyone why it is better to build a defense from up the middle by starting with a DT and not a SS who is bad in coverage.

well marv moved up in the late first to draft john mccargo to fill that roll. just think ngata vs donte and mccargo :censored::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

If you follow Talley's tweets, he comments about "back tackling" and "needs to learn how to wrap"

From context and what's going on at the time on the field it seems fairly clear he's talking about Whitner.

I think we have to resign both these guys and hope we get some better players around them. We are a 4 win team with the guys we have now and we have holes at almost every position. We just can not afford to create any new areas of need. I think Whitner ends up being serviceable and Poz ends up on the bench and a beast on special teams.

I know that the popular opinion is to dump both of them, but this team cannot improve if they continue to make holes that they have to fill via the draft or FA. Witness Antoine Williams, Pat Williams, London Fletcher, Jason Peters, ad nauseum.

At some point you have to keep your average players and put better players around them. Whitner is not an All-Pro, but is still useful. Poz is useless in coverage, but is good in run defense . . .

If you want to turn around the franchise and actually win more than 4-6-7 games, you have to keep some talent and raise the overall talent level on the field.

Edited by Fatty McButterpants

If you follow Talley's tweets, he comments about "back tackling" and "needs to learn how to wrap"

From context and what's going on at the time on the field it seems fairly clear he's talking about Whitner.

In Whitner's semi-defense I think that he's talking about other people too, not just him. He's definitely talking about Whitner but I don't think it's JUST him.

What a great plan, let them go and resign a broke dick, never healthy, one strike away from steriod suspension for a year, shadow of his oldself linebacker who said he didn't want to be in Buffalo instead. Boy do we have some Einsteins running this team?

I really don't care for whitner or poz, but a small part of me wants to see what they would do with a legit pass rush and a DT or 2 who can stop the rush......thats a major question IMHO. What would poz and whitner be like with good players in front of them. And with that said, we may want to find a way to keep them.

I know that the popular opinion is to dump both of them, but this team cannot improve if they continue to make holes that they have to fill via the draft or FA. Witness Antoine Williams, Pat Williams, London Fletcher, Jason Peters, ad nauseum.

At some point you have to keep your average players and put better players around them. Whitner is not an All-Pro, but is still useful. Poz is useless in coverage, but is good in run defense . . .

If you want to turn around the franchise and actually win more than 4-6-7 games, you have to keep some talent and raise the overall talent level on the field.

I agree, are those two players Pro Bowlers? Heck no, but are they the biggest weaknesses on the team, not even close. This team has so many holes, it makes no sense to create more. You don't get 25 draft picks, that is what it would take if you keep making new holes to fill with the several we already have. I think Poz's biggest problem this year was he was caught in the middle of the defense coversion, which wasn't thought all the way through, but was a decision made while they (Nix and Gailey) were standing at a podium announcing their signings.

Do you guys believe the Bills will not have the opportunity to sign players who are of at least, if not better, ability if these Whitner and Poz are left to go? The stats don't lie - the defense sucks and keeping the same players will not suddenly make this change.