Trade for Luck

trade trade our first, second and next year's first and then draft:

3. Luke Stocker Tennessee 6'6" 255 TE dude can catch and block, looks like Gronkowski

4. Reily Rieff Iowa 6'6" 300 LOT

4. Don'ta Hightower Alabama 6'5" 250 ILB

5. Phil Taylor Baylor 6'4" 355 NT

6. John Moffitt Wisconsin 6'5" 323 OG

7. Vince Browne North Western 6'5" 265 OLB

Taking Luck will get Gailey and Nix fired. I strongly believe the Bills will not take a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. Gailey loves Fitz and the Bills have the worst defense in the league and a bad O-line.

Get used to the idea that the Bills will take the best defensive player available at 3 and then again in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds. They are also in deperate need of an OT.

But, but, but... we'll never be any good without The #1 QB in the Draft on any given year.

8 out of the 12 QBs playing in the playoffs were first round draft picks. almost every super bowl is won by a first round draft QB (aside from brady).

so yea when three out of 4 QBs in the playoffs are #1 QBs i think its safe to say thats important. 2 of the non first round QBs, hasselbeck and cassel play in awful divisions and will likely lose their first game leaving 7 out of the remaining 8 QBs as 1st round picks.

Meanwhile, half the teams with a top 10 defense are sitting at home. Its a QB driven league and Fitz isnt the answer.

That is great information I did not know. Although Luck is a great canidate, I feel Mallet is a good one as well. I might disagree that we need a qb in the first round though. I believe that a qb and the coach need to be on the same page and have a great understanding of each other (Chemistry). I eel that Fitz and Chan the Man may have that. Chan will build to our needs and feel that we strongly need a defensive pass rusher stud and some LB's to be better off. If the Bills can stop the run and have a much improved front seven, then that will make us even better competively. We can't blame Fitz for us not stopping the run, and we can't blame the coordinator. We can blame he management for not building a better front seven. Anyone of the front seven on defense and even offense better pay attention to what goes on because their jobs are most likely going to be gone. Not all, but I bet many are.

I would be happy if we took a qb like Luck or Mallet, but wouldnot be at all surprised if we took a stud defensive player. Either way, Chan the Man, and his good Ole Boy Nix will be judged and most likely picked on know matter what they do. It will be a lose lose situation for them both until next September any ways...

8 out of the 12 QBs playing in the playoffs were first round draft picks. almost every super bowl is won by a first round draft QB (aside from brady).

so yea when three out of 4 QBs in the playoffs are #1 QBs i think its safe to say thats important. 2 of the non first round QBs, hasselbeck and cassel play in awful divisions and will likely lose their first game leaving 7 out of the remaining 8 QBs as 1st round picks.

Meanwhile, half the teams with a top 10 defense are sitting at home. Its a QB driven league and Fitz isnt the answer.

Interesting, half the teams with a top 10 offense are sitting home too.

Taking Luck will get Gailey and Nix fired. I strongly believe the Bills will not take a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. Gailey loves Fitz and the Bills have the worst defense in the league and a bad O-line.

Get used to the idea that the Bills will take the best defensive player available at 3 and then again in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds. They are also in deperate need of an OT.

I generally agree with you. With the only caveat being if Nix and Gailey both see one of the players as a franchise QB and said QB is still on the board at #3, then they take him. No way they trade up and give up picks for a QB with Fitz playing as well as he did this season. But I never would have guessed them taking a RB last year so my powers of deduction are definitely in question :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Solid argument.

Someone else got any better ideas?

Easily Yes -- shore up the defense! Our defensive front 7 may be the worst unit in all of football -- and that is with having Kyle Williams playing who is pretty good. It is a mistake to trade up to get Luck as if we still have this defense we won't win any more games next year than this year.

Interesting stats and a good point, but how many teams with 1st round pick QBs are not in the playoffs? If I remember correctly we had a 1st round pick as a QB (Losman) and he was not the answer either. It's not when they are picked, but that they are the right pick.

Easily Yes -- shore up the defense! Our defensive front 7 may be the worst unit in all of football -- and that is with having Kyle Williams playing who is pretty good. It is a mistake to trade up to get Luck as if we still have this defense we won't win any more games next year than this year.

Interesting stats and a good point, but how many teams with 1st round pick QBs are not in the playoffs? If I remember correctly we had a 1st round pick as a QB (Losman) and he was not the answer either. It's not when they are picked, but that they are the right pick.

absolutely, there are plenty of 1st rounders who don't make the playoffs, but there are far more 2-7 rounders who don't. Think about that for a minute.

Too many people here are ignoring the QB situation. This bills team had the ball more than most teams this season and failed to produce time after time. A lot of that falls on the QB.

You cant blame it all on the Oline either, Fitz was one of the least sacked guys in the league. He just isn't that good.

Im not saying we need to take one in this years draft, bc outside of Luck there isnt a QB worth taking at #3.

Take a look at what the successful teams have done. Patriots and Steelers have used the draft to build strong teams. The game revolves around winning the battles in the trenches. You cannot win without big strong men on both sides of the ball. You also need a QB and a pass rush and run stoppers? We are so far away from this because of poor choices. Mcghahee, Lynch, Whitner...lots of mistakes...in rounds 1-7 for many years.

Look at the history of Patriot draft picks. I hate them as much as anyone but you can learn more from 14-2 than spouting off. Go back ten years. They have been very flexible with what they did and who they took. Many years they wheeled and dealed. The picks they took bore no semblance to the picks they were dealt. Lots of defense. Lots of lineman and TEs. But they also took players to fill needs and traded (usually to their benefit) to make it happen. Some years they used the picks they had and took value players. They had four two round picks in one year. That was brilliant.

Seems to me like any draft pick is a crap shoot. There is no sure thing even picking at number one. Ryan Leaf is not the only bust. Rememberr Jeff George? The good teams minimize this risk by picking with smart payback odds. They run it like successful stock pickers or economists not emotional fans.

I hope Buddy and Chan look at where the needs are and where the value is and try to use the picks to build a great team. It's a lot harder than it sounds. Especially when you have scumbag agents like Jason Peters boy who pull talent out of the small markets to the big cities and leave a void.

First let's screw ourselves by drafting a QB instead of D, then let's screw ourselves further by trading away future high draft picks! Sounds like a plan to ensure the #1 pick for the next decade.

PTR

Our D is bad, but our QB was in the bottom 25% of the league in almost every stat. not screwing ourselves if we improve either.

Someone else got any better ideas?

I agree with step 1. If Luck announces he's leaving Stanford, and if Carolina will accept a trade (Jimmy Clausen hasn't exactly locked up the "franchise QB" position down there yet), I say hell yes the Bills should trade up for Luck and prove to we fans once and for all they are serious about winning Division, Conference and maybe even SB Championships again. Polian signed Jimbo out of the bankrupt USFL before the 1986 season FIRST, and then built everything around him later. Kelly even QB'ed the Bills to his own 4-12-0 season starting out his Bills' career in 1986, as Marv Levy was brought in by Polian half way through it. (Bill Polian does not get credit for drafting Bruce Smith number one overall in April 1985, because he was not GM at that time!).

As for the rest of the draft, I don't know any of those other players and I'm sure Nix will draft the best players on his board with the picks he has left if he can pull of the big trade for Luck.

Our D is bad, but our QB was in the bottom 25% of the league in almost every stat. not screwing ourselves if we improve either.

You just proved my point. Our D was dead last while our QB was close to average. So explain why we don't need to improve our D? Oh yeah, nice way to cherry pick your facts.

PTR

Nix and Gailey will most likely go BPA in the first round.

I just hope these guys got a serious wake up call and rethink their approach to this offseason and not take it so nonchalantly as they did last season. I hope Nix realizes he has some major work to do and we need a big turnover in players in order to get a strong base and cut the dead wood like Maybin. If it's a repeat of last offseason. Then I strongly believe this team will get nowhere. Not resigning our good players and only signing marginal free agents and non impact Draft Picks ala last season will bring us a top 10 pick in 2012 as well...

You just proved my point. Our D was dead last while our QB was close to average. So explain why we don't need to improve our D? Oh yeah, nice way to cherry pick your facts.

PTR

Did you read what i wrote, being in the bottom 25% of the QBs isn't average. Our D was dead last. I said improving either isnt bad.

You know who has a worse defense than the Bills? the pats and the colts arent that far off.

But no, we will be fine if we leave the QB situation alone.

Where was the cherry picking of facts?

I'm still not convinced that Luck will definitely be taken first. There are two teams ahead of us who drafted QBs last year. After everything Denver gave up on Tebow I don't think they will turn around the next year and draft another first round QB and while Clausen didn't look too good his first year the Panthers may try to give him another year or two before giving up on him. So, if we want him, we may not have to give up the world to get him.

What part of getting trampled for 276 yards by a second string line do you not understand? What part of a record season for allowing 200-yard rushing games against us don't you get? How about giving up 30-plus points every g'damn week? Defense wins championships and we are pathetic. Screw the QB whining and get some d'damn defensive players in here!

Did you read what i wrote, being in the bottom 25% of the QBs isn't average. Our D was dead last. I said improving either isnt bad.

You know who has a worse defense than the Bills? the pats and the colts arent that far off.

But no, we will be fine if we leave the QB situation alone.

Where was the cherry picking of facts?

I'm calling BS on your post!

In order to be in the bottom 25% you have to be ranked #25 or lower. So let's see where Fitz ranks.

First let's look at the stats (NFL.com) that aren't affected by the number of games you play:

Completion pct: 57.8% - 27th

Avg. Yards per game: 230.8 - 16th

Avg yards per comp: 6.8 - 21st

QB Rating: 81.8 - 22nd

Now let's look at the other stats. Keep in mind Fitz only played in 13 games:

Yards Passing: 3,000 - 22nd (over 16 games that would be 3,692.8yds, good for 16th)

TDs: 23 - 13th (over 16 games that would be 28 TDs, good for 6th)

INTs: 15 - 20th (over 16 games that would be 18.5, good for 26th)

Now let's compare some defensive team stats:

Points allowed: 425 - 28th

Yards allowed per game: 361.6 - 24th

Rushing yards allowed per game: 169.6 - 32nd (DEAD LAST!!)

Passing Yards allowed per game: 192.0 - 3rd!! (that's a surprise)

So I believe the REAL FACTS have proved you wrong, K-gun. Ryan Fitzpatrick is nowhere near the bottom 25% of NFL QBs. He is 13th in TDs and 16th in yards per game, 2 key QB stats. This is what I mean by cherry picking your stats.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Moving up even two spots will take a huge offer. It's not like carolina doesn't need a QB either. Please, there's no way if Luke is in this draft carolina deals the pick. Simply no way!

Plus remember the new CBA rules will effect this year draft class regardless, so as a result, the pick becomes even more valuable because you don't have to pay the guy 70 million guarenteed.

If Buffalo was smart, they'd try to move down and gather up picks!

I'm calling BS on your post!

In order to be in the bottom 25% you have to be ranked #25 or lower. So let's see where Fitz ranks.

First let's look at the stats (NFL.com) that aren't affected by the number of games you play:

Completion pct: 57.8% - 27th

Avg. Yards per game: 230.8 - 16th

Avg yards per comp: 6.8 - 21st

QB Rating: 81.8 - 22nd

Now let's look at the other stats. Keep in mind Fitz only played in 13 games:

Yards Passing: 3,000 - 22nd (over 16 games that would be 3,692.8yds, good for 16th)

TDs: 23 - 13th (over 16 games that would be 28 TDs, good for 6th)

INTs: 15 - 20th (over 16 games that would be 18.5, good for 26th)

Now let's compare some defensive team stats:

Points allowed: 425 - 28th

Yards allowed per game: 361.6 - 24th

Rushing yards allowed per game: 169.6 - 32nd (DEAD LAST!!)

Passing Yards allowed per game: 192.0 - 3rd!! (that's a surprise)

So I believe the REAL FACTS have proved you wrong, K-gun. Ryan Fitzpatrick is nowhere near the bottom 25% of NFL QBs. He is 13th in TDs and 16th in yards per game, 2 key QB stats. This is what I mean by cherry picking your stats.

PTR

Hes thrown 15 INTs which is 9th most. bottom 25%

You cant extrapolate his stats out like that and then claim he's better.

He is NOT 16th in yards per game.

He is 27th in comp pct and 22nd in QB rating, those dont change regardless of the number of games he played. BOTH of those stats are worse than jon Kitna and in the bottom 25% of the league.

His yards per pass is 21st just missing the bottom 25% by two spots. He;s just a bit higher than Henne and Hasselbeck.

There were only four QBs with a worse completion percentage.

His passing yds was 22, again just shy of bottom 25%. Several QBs ahead of him in yards did not play a full schedule either but still had better numbers.

OK so hes thrown the ninth most picks, has a terrible comp percentage, yards per pass, and QB rating.

Most of his stats are on the border or are in the worst 25% of the league.

Keep in mind the offense had the ball nearly 30 mins a game and he was one of the least sacked QBs in the league. He still couldnt get crap done.

You really think if we had a top QB with the ball 30 mins a game who was rarely sacked this team wouldnt be infinitely better?

trade trade our first, second and next year's first and then draft:

3. Luke Stocker Tennessee 6'6" 255 TE dude can catch and block, looks like Gronkowski

4. Reily Rieff Iowa 6'6" 300 LOT

4. Don'ta Hightower Alabama 6'5" 250 ILB

5. Phil Taylor Baylor 6'4" 355 NT

6. John Moffitt Wisconsin 6'5" 323 OG

7. Vince Browne North Western 6'5" 265 OLB

If the Bills traded all of that they are crazy. I understand why folks are in love with Luck, but he's not worth giving away all those picks. He is no guarantee.

No player in the draft is a guarantee. Take Bowers, Fairley, Dareus or maybe Quinn or trade down for more picks. Or trade back up into the first round

and grab a QB there. But don't give away picks. A first next year? Nix already said he wants to build through the draft. I doubt he's trying to give away

future first rounders.

Hes thrown 15 INTs which is 9th most. bottom 25%

Did you flunk 2nd grade math? There are 32 teams in the NFL. How is being "9th worst" as you put it equal to bottom 25%? BTW according to NFL.com, the official source, Fitz is tied for 20th with Bradford, Garrard and McNabb, and has fewer INTs than playoff QBs Hasselbeck and P. Manning.

You cant extrapolate his stats out like that and then claim he's better.

He is NOT 16th in yards per game.

I hate to keep slamming you but CHECK NFL.COM YOURSELF! Fitz is #16 in avg yards per game between #15 Matt Ryan and #17 Joe Flacco.

He is 27th in comp pct and 22nd in QB rating, those dont change regardless of the number of games he played. BOTH of those stats are worse than jon Kitna and in the bottom 25% of the league.

Hate to bring up 2nd grade math class (I'm sure it was a painful time for you) but being ranked #22 means you aren't in the bottom 25%. #25 is the line. So yes, he's below in comp% But he's better than playoff QB Mark Sanchez (who is ranked #27)

His yards per pass is 21st just missing the bottom 25% by two spots. He;s just a bit higher than Henne and Hasselbeck.

So again you admit he's not bottom 25% in that category. And he missed by 3 spots, not 2.

There were only four QBs with a worse completion percentage.

You're making the same point a second time. Are you running out of arguments?

His passing yds was 22, again just shy of bottom 25%. Several QBs ahead of him in yards did not play a full schedule either but still had better numbers.

You are comparing players who played 16 games against a player who played 13.

Most of his stats are on the border or are in the worst 25% of the league.

You said he was bottom 25%. Now that I proved he isn't you are backtracking.

Keep in mind the offense had the ball nearly 30 mins a game and he was one of the least sacked QBs in the league. He still couldnt get crap done.

23 TDs in 13 games (most by a Bills QB since 2002). 3,000 yds in 13 games. Ranked 18th in 3rd down conversion (up from 32nd last year). Ranked 18th in Red Zone efficiency (up from 32nd last year.) Other than that, Fitz hasn't done crap! :lol:

Also keep in mind that some of the above stats include Edwards and Brohm numbers so Fitz is even better!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What part of getting trampled for 276 yards by a second string line do you not understand? What part of a record season for allowing 200-yard rushing games against us don't you get? How about giving up 30-plus points every g'damn week? Defense wins championships and we are pathetic. Screw the QB whining and get some d'damn defensive players in here!

Totally agree. Wouldn't stopping the opposing teams offense occasionaly give our offense more opportunities, thus moving them up in stats? The Steelers are a perennial a playoff team because they take away your running game and make you one dimensional. Your never going to be good giving up 200 yards rushing and 34 points a game 8 times.

Did you flunk 2nd grade math? There are 32 teams in the NFL. How is being "9th worst" as you put it equal to bottom 25%? BTW according to NFL.com, the official source, Fitz is tied for 20th with Bradford, Garrard and McNabb, and has fewer INTs than playoff QBs Hasselbeck and P. Manning.

I hate to keep slamming you but CHECK NFL.COM YOURSELF! Fitz is #16 in avg yards per game between #15 Matt Ryan and #17 Joe Flacco.

Hate to bring up 2nd grade math class (I'm sure it was a painful time for you) but being ranked #22 means you aren't in the bottom 25%. #25 is the line. So yes, he's below in comp% But he's better than playoff QB Mark Sanchez (who is ranked #27)

So again you admit he's not bottom 25% in that category. And he missed by 3 spots, not 2.

You're making the same point a second time. Are you running out of arguments?

You are comparing players who played 16 games against a player who played 13.

You said he was bottom 25%. Now that I proved he isn't you are backtracking.

23 TDs in 13 games. 3,000 yds in 13 games. Ranked 18th in 3rd down conversion (up from 32nd last year). Ranked 18th in Red Zone efficiency (up from 32nd last year.) Other than that, Fitz hasn't done crap! :lol:

Also keep in mind that some of the above stats include Edwards and Brohm numbers so Fitz is even better!

PTR

There are 31 QBs listed on the website, the bottom 25% therefore includes the bottom 7.75 so it would be 23 or 24 not 25.

Ill keep making my point and you can keep the regular PTR schtick going. He missed the bottom 25% by one or two spots in certain categories and made them in others.

He has an avg yds per game and TDs but threw a lot of picks.

btw how do you slam me for using stats and complaining that Fitz only played 13 games while at the same time touting him for throwing less INTs than guys who played in more games? Btw you are reading the INTs stats wrong, click it so it shows highest to lowest not the other way around. There were 7 qbs who threw more INTs this year, only 7.

There are 31 QBs listed on the website, the bottom 25% therefore includes the bottom 7.75 so it would be 23 or 24 not 25.

Ill keep making my point and you can keep the regular PTR schtick going. He missed the bottom 25% by one or two spots in certain categories and made them in others.

He has an avg yds per game and TDs but threw a lot of picks.

btw how do you slam me for using stats and complaining that Fitz only played 13 games while at the same time touting him for throwing less INTs than guys who played in more games? Btw you are reading the INTs stats wrong, click it so it shows highest to lowest not the other way around. There were 7 qbs who threw more INTs this year, only 7.

Give it up already. I proved you wrong and now your dancing around. Only 31 QB's in the NFL? Which teams doesn't have one? :lol: And you forgot to say "You're right PTR, Fitz IS ranked #16 in ypg!"

PTR

Just FYI, the Bills defense is ranked #24 in the NFL, and the Bills offense is #25, so statistically the offense actually performed a bit worse than the defense relative to the rest of the NFL. They both were terrible, though.

Give it up already. I proved you wrong and now your dancing around. Only 31 QB's in the NFL? Which teams doesn't have one? :lol: And you forgot to say "You're right PTR, Fitz IS ranked #16 in ypg!"

PTR

Reading comprehension should be your friend. I said there are 31 QBs on the website, take a look.

You forgot to mention i was right on several points.

Reading comprehension should be your friend. I said there are 31 QBs on the website, take a look.

You forgot to mention i was right on several points.

31 "qualified" QBs. "To qualify for passer rating, the player must have thrown at least 14 passes/game." There are actually 103 NFL QBs ranked, which makes Fitz a Top 20% QB!

Speaking of reading comprehension, I did acknowledge the one stat category where you were correct. I even extrapolated Fitz's INT numbers to 16 games which would have put him in the bottom 25% in that category as well. But you still ignore the 2 most important QB stats: yards per game and TDs, which put Fitz square in the middle of the pack of NFL starters.

Luckily for us you don't make the picks. I'm pretty certain that the Bills will not waste a high pick chasing some fairy tale franchise QB, unless Luck falls to us. And even then I'm not sure.

PTR

PTR

Dude, PTR - Fitzpatrick had a bad year. In his very best statistical categories, he was merely average. In his worst, near the very bottom of the league. You're really splitting hairs with a guy over your quarterback being in the bottom third of the league vs. the bottom quarter. Both are very bad, and are not good enough to contend for championships year in and year out. But yeah, he had a cool beard and gave good press conferences.

trading up would be dumb, this team needs all its picks and an impact player next year...draft the best available lineman which right now looks like one of the defensive lineman and address the o-line or ILB in the second and third round

I understand the importance of a franchise QB but this team needs to address both lines and can survive with Fitz for another year