If the Jets pull their starters, shouldn't the Bills...

1billsfan

…pull their starters also? Why guarantee losing the 4th overall pick by beating the Jets backups? What point would that prove? Any win would be the very definition of hollow and meaningless.

Chan can just say that the reason he pulled them was that he already knows what he has in his current starters and there was no reason to prove a point by beating the Jet backups. Once the Jets made it an official exhibition game, the Bills were fine to play it that way also. This way there are no hurt feelings in the locker room and the Bills can play it the same way the Jets do without forcefully dropping themselves a spot or two or three in the first round of the draft.

I normally say play to win, but this kind of game is too stupid to care if they do or not once the Jets bench all of their starters. Very interesting dilemma.

BTW, I'm going to this game so I'm just upset the Jets no longer have a stake in this one.

This is a touchy subject. If we pull our starters then we concede that 2010 was a wash, that we gained nothing from this year.

If we keep them in we can pull off a win and have some momentum in the offseason, going out fighting.

However, I think the Jets will do what they can to lose this game. If they win and the Steelers Ravens lose they have a chance to move up a seed which would put them in the same bracket as the Patriots. They can go in the 1st place bracket and play the Colts the first round or stay in the 2nd bracket and face the Chiefs. I'd take the Chiefs and let the Ravens have to get past the Colts and Patriots.

I don't know about pulling all our starters, but this might be the perfect time to start Brohm. I'm a Fitz fan however I wouldn't mind seeing what Brohm can do in our last game keeping in mind that Fitz will be the starter going into next season.

This is a touchy subject. If we pull our starters then we concede that 2010 was a wash, that we gained nothing from this year.

If we keep them in we can pull off a win and have some momentum in the offseason, going out fighting.

However, I think the Jets will do what they can to lose this game. If they win and the Steelers Ravens lose they have a chance to move up a seed which would put them in the same bracket as the Patriots. They can go in the 1st place bracket and play the Colts the first round or stay in the 2nd bracket and face the Chiefs. I'd take the Chiefs and let the Ravens have to get past the Colts and Patriots..

the thing is the playoffs are re bracketed after each week. In other words, if both the 5 and 6 seeds (the two wild card teams) win week one, the 6 goes to the one seed for week 2, so it is to the Jets benefit to try to move up a seed. Also, taking it to championship week, it is concievable that the 5 seed could host the seed for the AFC championship. I think the Jets do what they can to win

I don't know about pulling all our starters, but this might be the perfect time to start Brohm. I'm a Fitz fan however I wouldn't mind seeing what Brohm can do in our last game keeping in mind that Fitz will be the starter going into next season.

I agree - Maybe let Fitz run the first quarter and after that get the backups out there for a look. We know what we have with Fitz, but we don't know how Brohm and/or Brown would do. Put them out there for a few series...

…pull their starters also? Why guarantee losing the 4th overall pick by beating the Jets backups? What point would that prove? Any win would be the very definition of hollow and meaningless.

Chan can just say that the reason he pulled them was that he already knows what he has in his current starters and there was no reason to prove a point by beating the Jet backups. Once the Jets made it an official exhibition game, the Bills were fine to play it that way also. This way there are no hurt feelings in the locker room and the Bills can play it the same way the Jets do without forcefully dropping themselves a spot or two or three in the first round of the draft.

I normally say play to win, but this kind of game is too stupid to care if they do or not once the Jets bench all of their starters. Very interesting dilemma.

BTW, I'm going to this game so I'm just upset the Jets no longer have a stake in this one.

This game should be played like a pre season game for the Bills. Spiller is my running back for the entire game. Let him get used to running the ball and hanging on to it in cold weather. Brohm is the frist half QB and if he does too well bring in Levi Brown. Fitzpatrick is mentally strong enough I am not worried about shaking his confidence he has all next pre season to forget about the Pats game. I want to see Maybin the whole game along with McCargo. I want to see the two new offensive lineman we picked up and I want a lot of Wang as well. i have seen enough of Stupar at TE to know that he is not a starter let's see the two new additions. Also i think that Jon Corto deserves to start at LB and let him off special teams for the day.

However, I think the Jets will do what they can to lose this game. If they win and the Steelers Ravens lose they have a chance to move up a seed which would put them in the same bracket as the Patriots. They can go in the 1st place bracket and play the Colts the first round or stay in the 2nd bracket and face the Chiefs. I'd take the Chiefs and let the Ravens have to get past the Colts and Patriots.

The Jets will be trying to lose the game and the Bills will gain momentum from winning???? Surely you jest.

There has been much to like about Fitz. His fire, determination, desire, ability to process info quickly, all come to mind. Yet, despite excellent intangibles, he has too many turnovers, fumbles and/or Ints, and the biggest negative being a scatter shot arm in which every throw is an adventure. Sure he makes some darned nice throws, but he also is nearly equally capable of the wild throws as well.

Consistently accurate simply is not part of Fitzpatrick's game. No matter how much I like the guy, I just can't get by this.

Carrington, Troup, Maybin, and Brohm should all be full goes for our last game. The only purpose the last game has is for evaluations.

for the 3457356268565367th time....

it DOESN'T EFFING MATTER where we draft until someone at 1 bills drive demonstrates the ability to draft good players.

As much as it hurts to say admit it, there exists much truth in this position.

Spiller has turned out to be a major disappointment as a rookie. Maybe he'll become a Reggie Bush style player, but he does seem to have been a luxury pick that this team could not afford. Or defense is a shambles when it comes to the oppositions run game. Couple this with darned near zero pass rush.....

Edited by Spiderweb

it DOESN'T EFFING MATTER where we draft until someone at 1 bills drive demonstrates the ability to draft good players.

I'm with this. With the number 9 pick in the draft last year all we could come up with was a guy that plays the same positions we are strong at (RB and KO and Punt Returner), is injury riddled, and has a bad case of fumblitis. So I don't think there's that much difference between 4th and 7th or so with these guys picking.

In our whole draft we really got no one who looks to be good yet. The best guys we got were late rounders or FAs.

So, let's try to win this thing. It's more fun to watch. let the chips fall where they may.

Yeah I think in any situation like this you simply should just match what your opponent is doing (If the game is meaningless to both parties). If the varsity is out and the JV is in you should also put in your JV team.

But Chan wants to instill a winning philosophy to this team. He isn't going to lay down. Which is admirable and hopefully instills a good character into the team BUT it could hurt us as far as the draft goes. Either way I just think that this has "Meaningless" win written all over it. Hopefully Chan makes it so that the win isn't so meaningless to the team.

I agree - Maybe let Fitz run the first quarter and after that get the backups out there for a look. We know what we have with Fitz, but we don't know how Brohm and/or Brown would do. Put them out there for a few series...

The people playing are our backups?

Yeah - they've been bad, but picking 3rd or 4th still gives them better odds than 8th or 9th. If nothing else they can trade down for more picks and more chances to make their (seemingly random) selections and have one pay off.

Maybe it's just me but this year is entirely different.

Momentum is nice - but where is the momentum from beating your opponent's backups? To me playing them with your starters is just humiliating win or lose - obviously worse if you lose.

Remember the Bledsoe season Steelers game?? Could anything be worse for the morale of this club going forward than playing our starters against their backups and STILL LOSING??

Use the backups.

I don't know the exact, or even approximate numbers, but losing this game might cost Mr. Wilson between 5 and 10 million dollars just in terms of a signing bonus on draft day, no? This is not to mention higher salaries.

Along the lines of the rich getting richer, the Bills will win this game in a romp. Just a hunch, but we shall see.....

…pull their starters also? Why guarantee losing the 4th overall pick by beating the Jets backups?

OK, maybe it's just me, but I think it's big "IF" that the Jests will pull their starters.

I think Rex Ryan has that true bully mentality.

The Patriots whupped our ass but good. I think Ryan will be out for delivering an even bigger ass-whupping as a "message" to the Pats*

It's also legitimately a question (see Colts) if "resting the starters" optimally readies a team for the playoffs

OK, maybe it's just me, but I think it's big "IF" that the Jests will pull their starters.

I think Rex Ryan has that true bully mentality.

The Patriots whupped our ass but good. I think Ryan will be out for delivering an even bigger ass-whupping as a "message" to the Pats*

It's also legitimately a question (see Colts) if "resting the starters" optimally readies a team for the playoffs

If the Jets play their starters then the Bills should play their starters too.