Donte Whitner - You got to love him!

dailar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

In Pro sports people shouldnt compare salaries. Teams pay based on what u mean to them....Goodnite yall

:thumbdown::censored::wallbash:

In PRO sports, people shouldn't negotiate through the fans. In PRO sports, people should let their agent do the talking. In PRO sports, people should realize there isn't a tenure track. In PRO sports people should learn to wrap their arms.

He's mostly right though. The second sentence is absolutely right. Teams often do pay for what you mean to them. It's just according to them, not you. If certain players are leaders in the locker room or on the field or have been productive throughout their careers or teams feel are necessary to keep some sort of cohesion, teams will often pay them more. He's also I'd say half correct in that teams shouldn't really compare contracts because stats are very often misleading, age has to greatly factor into it, injuries have to play a huge part, other players on the roster have to play a huge part, all of which combine for the team to pay you what you are worth to them, and not in relation to other players at other positions.

But obviously, teams need SOME reference point, so there has to be some comparison between what other teams are paying their players at the same position.

I'm not even sure that Donte was complaining (although he may be, of course). I think he may be just talking to the fans. Surely he wants the Bills to pay him based on what he means to them (in his eyes, and the coaches, he means more to them than his INT stats or his reputation from fans would indicate). And surely he will use his stats as far as tackles go, in comparison to other players in the league at his position.

But in essence, he's right. Teams in pro sports should only pay players for what he is worth to them. That's why we're not going to pay him 7 million a year.

He's not an amazing safety by any means. We have Scott and Wilson to take his spot if he sign elsewhere. Saying that, I want to see him in a bills uni for the next 3-5 years. He plays hard. He really cares. He flys around out there sacrificing his body like no one else on this team (sure, sometimes he misses, but he smacks people up too). People say that this team plays harder than any team in the NFL. Why is that? Why do we play harder? I know I'll get flames for this, but I feel he is one of the reasons we play so hard. He's the vocal leader out there defensively, a unit that has gotten better each and every week (minus the Viking game). I can only remember a few times this year when he was beaten for big plays, against the run or pass. He may run his mouth a lot, but he helps run this d as well. Keep donte (though don't be stupid and give him a redic contract). I hope he wants to stay.

I love Donte Whitners heart - I really do. He's an above average safety that I wouldn't mind being let go unless he seriously takes a pay cut. He's the 22nd most paid safety in the league and I think we can find safety with similar success via FA or DRAFT. Maybe someone who can cover a tight end? Just a thought.

He's not an amazing safety by any means. We have Scott and Wilson to take his spot if he sign elsewhere. Saying that, I want to see him in a bills uni for the next 3-5 years. He plays hard. He really cares. He flys around out there sacrificing his body like no one else on this team (sure, sometimes he misses, but he smacks people up too). People say that this team plays harder than any team in the NFL. Why is that? Why do we play harder? I know I'll get flames for this, but I feel he is one of the reasons we play so hard. He's the vocal leader out there defensively, a unit that has gotten better each and every week (minus the Viking game). I can only remember a few times this year when he was beaten for big plays, against the run or pass. He may run his mouth a lot, but he helps run this d as well. Keep donte (though don't be stupid and give him a redic contract). I hope he wants to stay.

I can't disagree with anything you've stated. I like Whitner's heart, too. If coached properly and put in the right schemes, I think he can be better than average. That said ... he's not right now, so doesn't deserve above average money. And his insistance on reporting every crooked fart on Twitter kills me. If he'd just keep his mouth shut and work on improving, I hope he stays, too. But if he's just going to be another under-achieving fame whore, I'd rather take my chances on someone else.

I can't disagree with anything you've stated. I like Whitner's heart, too. If coached properly and put in the right schemes, I think he can be better than average. That said ... he's not right now, so doesn't deserve above average money. And his insistance on reporting every crooked fart on Twitter kills me. If he'd just keep his mouth shut and work on improving, I hope he stays, too. But if he's just going to be another under-achieving fame whore, I'd rather take my chances on someone else.

Totally agreed. By the way for everyones information - KO Simpson currently has a salary JUST A TAD over 1 million. I guess he does millions now... sort of.

Please enlighten me on how someone twittering prevents them from studying film, working out, practicing hard, etc. Donte is well known for how much effort he puts into preparing for the games.

I'd love to see Whitner back at a reasonable price, but this guy has been a fairly large disappointment up until this year, which surprise surprise, was his contract year. Good teams on tight budgets, like the steelers avoid overpaying for contract year players. I hope the Bills Pittsburgh-infused front office functions similarly.

Edited by DC Grid

Please enlighten me on how someone twittering prevents them from studying film, working out, practicing hard, etc. Donte is well known for how much effort he puts into preparing for the games.

There's no enlightenment to be had ... not from me, anyway. I just think it shows a lack of professionalism and maturity. It has nothing to do with his preparations or work ethic.

There's no enlightenment to be had ... not from me, anyway. I just think it shows a lack of professionalism and maturity. It has nothing to do with his preparations or work ethic.

Millions of people post on twitter everyday. And plenty of those tweets are bitching about work.

Whitner, along with all other football players, are human. They're just normal people with a job and career like the rest of us. The only difference is that they are in the spotlight, and are in a position where bored/jealous people get to pas judgment on their every move.

Everyone who gets in a huff about an athlete or celebrity's twitter, needs to just take a breath and relax.

You're seeing a one second snap shot of their thought at that very moment. It means very little.

I don't have any problem with professional athletes twittering or facebooking... but they should keep the business perspective separated - Even I'd be in trouble at work if I announced my fiscal information to the world.

So to people who send text messages, or send emails, or post on facebook, or post on a message board lack professionalism and maturity? They (along with twitter) are all current forms of communication that nearly everyone uses on a daily basis.

As to your last sentence, in your other post, you insinuated that twittering was preventing Whitner from becoming a better player.

This also begs the question: who is more immature, the person who twitters, or the person who hangs on every tweet of someone they don't even know and gets so riled up over it that they freak out on an online message board?

I'd love to see Whitner back at a reasonable price, but this guy has been a fairly large disappointment up until this year, which surprise surprise, was his contract year. Good teams on tight budgets, like the steelers avoid overpaying for contract year players. I hope the Bills Pittsburgh-infused front office functions similarly.

While your point regarding the contract year is a valid one, he's also playing in a completely new defense this season, one that suits his strengths, which would have a much bigger effect on his play than being in a contract year will.

Edited by Ramius