Incognito was mistake to let go

We brought him here because both the Bills and his agent knew that there was not choice although the Dolphins would have grabbed him if we did not. He had just a couple of days to prepare and did well and played well for the entire time in Buffalo.

We can say what we want about the Maybin pick, Trent starting ahead of Fitz, making average pass rushers cover backs and look like idiots and then giving them huge contacts, etc., but this is/was a mistake too. This guy started for us and played hard and is doing very well in Miami right now. To counter my point, TO is having a very good year as a Bengal, but it sure is fun watching late draft picks and undrafted fa's play well.

I am pleased overall with where and what the Bills have done this year but this is a mistake on par with the others noted above.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't want to be in Buffalo for several reasons, not the least of which is he would have been a backup at OG, what with Levitre and Wood being the starters. And even now that Wood looks like he'll stay at center, Urbik and Rinehart look like guys who could be good players (and there's also Hangman).

We brought him here because both the Bills and his agent knew that there was not choice although the Dolphins would have grabbed him if we did not. He had just a couple of days to prepare and did well and played well for the entire time in Buffalo.

We can say what we want about the Maybin pick, Trent starting ahead of Fitz, making average pass rushers cover backs and look like idiots and then giving them huge contacts, etc., but this is/was a mistake too. This guy started for us and played hard and is doing very well in Miami right now. To counter my point, TO is having a very good year as a Bengal, but it sure is fun watching late draft picks and undrafted fa's play well.

I am pleased overall with where and what the Bills have done this year but this is a mistake on par with the others noted above.

Let's apply some logical reasoning to this. Did you ever think about the fact that he DIDN'T want to sign a contract to play for the Bills when he became a free agent in the offseason??

Should the Bills have held a gun to his head and made him stay or stick with the players that are interested.....?

He didn't want to be in Buffalo for several reasons, not the least of which is he would have been a backup at OG, what with Levitre and Wood being the starters. And even now that Wood looks like he'll stay at center, Urbik and Rinehart look like guys who could be good players (and there's also Hangman).

Exactly, as far as our concerns go as we enter the off-season, Guard/Center is far down the list. It's really no sweat to not sign a guy that probably didn't want to play here anyway.

just wait til we draft a safety in the 1st round cause we lose whitner

It wouldn't bother me in the least if we lost Whitner.

What would bother me more, is that not could we have had Ngata, but now we would have NOTHING to show for it.

Before the season started, I was shocked at this because I thought atleast for insurance if Wood had a hard time, Incognito could have provided some stability and nastiness. And if Wood came back, we could have moved Wood to Center and kept Incognito at RG, thereby increasing the nastiness.

But with the release of Chambers (finally!), and Urbik, Wrotto, and the guy Gailey brought with him from Georgia Tech all stepping up, I don't miss him anymore.

Our offensive line has actually been playing some good football this year.

I think that it has more to do with the offensive philosophy of 3+-wide formations and RB's in the flat or staying in to "chip" block before going out to a pass pattern, and quicker deliveries by Fitz have done wonders for making the O Line look good.

But watching games, Wrotto looks pretty mobile and solid at RT. Bell had a bad game in Minnesota against Jared "The Mullet" Allen, but so did the rest of the team.

I don't miss Incognito anymore.

Whatever his motivation for leaving or staying might have been, I dont remember seeing him do anything that Urbik or Rhinehart arent capable of. He was fine while he was here, but hed had a history of being a headcase...meh, we're fine with what we've got.

Im looking to see how Wrotto does against Cam Wake this weekend. That'll be pretty telling of where we are on the o-line. Can we replicate the power running game of last weekend?

Here's to hoping we can. Go Bills!!

Agreed. It was a huge mistake letting him go, especially considering the circumstances. He had a contract in place, Wood's injury was severe and his comeback was no slam dunk, plus, with Wood at C and Inconito next to him, it could have been a good combination of nasty. The Bills would have always had the option to let Incognito go either late in the offseason or during/after preseason. Hell, they though Coprnell Green was an upgrade? WTF?

This move alone is the kind of evidence that fuels the flames that the Bills FO is totally incompetent. Look at what they are doing now... dumpster diving for offensive linemen that even bad teams have tossed off their rosters... Wrotto, Brown, Pears, Rinehart... and continuing to ignore the fact that LT is barely adequate with Bell manning that position.

Let's apply some logical reasoning to this. Did you ever think about the fact that he DIDN'T want to sign a contract to play for the Bills when he became a free agent in the offseason??

Should the Bills have held a gun to his head and made him stay or stick with the players that are interested.....?

He was a RESTRICTED FA.

Again, he was a RESTRICTED FA. Everyone seems to forget this.

He didn’t have a choice – it was Buffalo or hold out if the Bills so choosed. We could have tendered him with a 3rd and let him walk if another team wants to give us a 3rd for him. You can beat your arse the Pattsies would have tendered the guy and gotten better, but not the Bills, we let a great starting caliber OLman leave for jack crap.

Exactly, as far as our concerns go as we enter the off-season, Guard/Center is far down the list. It's really no sweat to not sign a guy that probably didn't want to play here anyway.

I disagree completely. Hangman was atrocious last season from the first snap of the season to the last. He was routinely bowled over and IMO was worse than either T spot. The football outsiders or some other site graded him as 32 of 32 for all the centers in the league – aka LAST. This year he hasn’t been nearly as bad - but I sure wouldn’t say good.

To say the interior OL was far down the list doesn’t properly reflect just how devoid of starting talent and depth we were/still are at the position. No one could truthfully say the Bills are better without a tendered Incognito.

is he a guy you're going to count on? who knows how things went in the locker room. maybe the guy was a prick. maybe there was great fear that he would be a prick. maybe he was easily replaceable with less risky prospects. he is a mediocre interior lineman. not bad. not great. a history of volatility. not a big deal in general.

logical reasoning without sufficient information is akin to onanism. we are saddled with philosophy as an academic discipline because greeks lacked sufficient scientific information.

you guys are too het up over a mediocre guard with a bad history. he was cut by the rams. the rams. don't think anyone was giving up a 3rd for the guy. it might have been nice to have him around. it might not have been. again, not a big deal. have a ball with the remainder of this scintillating discussion.

First off anyone would look a heck of alot better playing next to Jake Long. Secondly, we have Levitre and Wood starting so why would we pay a premium for a back up guard. We were in need of a RT and signed a very poor one. Right Tackle is and has been the real week spot on our line.

At the time I thought it was a mistake, but after seeing how the line has played it proves once again that the people running the Bill's are much smarter than most of the people who post here. If Woods came back healthy, he's a backup guard. Could he have been the starting guard if Woods couldn't play or was moved to center, yes, but those were two moves he had no control of. So he took the best option for him. Could the Bill's have mad him a big offer to stay and would he have likely taken it, probably, but they knew what they had and didn't feel the need to. In hind sight, appears ot be a smart move.

Is he better than Levitre or Wood? No...moving along...

At the guard position at least this year I would argue that he was better then Wood

This is the thing.....I think that Wood at C and him and RG would have been a really good nasty combo....BUT I also seen those same road grating traits out of Urbik

I was starting to be impressed by Urbik before he went down. It gives me hope for the future we need to fix the RT situation and get a reliable TE and I think we might have something.

Why would we keep him? We drafted a center in the first round so that he could play guard!!! :wallbash:

Edited by PDaDdy