The underlying problems with Bills shows again

Niagara Bill

Just when some good feelings about this team begins to grow the real issues with the organization shows. :wallbash:

Whitner is unhappy. That is not unusual. What is the real issue is the front office, who can pi$$ off players playing well during the season. John Butler, Bill Polian, would never let this happen. There is no need for this.

Overdorf..Littman..Modrak, cannot run a football team.

They cannot handle negotiations, drafting or hiring staff. History proves this. The record proves it.

These are the guys that cut Langston Walker without telling the head coach. :thumbdown: Not that he should not have been cut but that is a caoching decision not a $$$ money decision.

We will never crawl above an 8 & 8 team until that part of the organization is fixed.

Just when some good feelings about this team begins to grow the real issues with the organization shows. :wallbash:

Whitner is unhappy. That is not unusual. What is the real issue is the front office, who can pi$$ off players playing well during the season. John Butler, Bill Polian, would never let this happen. There is no need for this.

They cannot handle negotiations, drafting or hiring staff. History proves this. The record proves it.

These are the guys that cut Langston Walker without telling the head coach. :thumbdown: Not that he should not have been cut but that is a caoching decision not a $$$ money decision.

We will never crawl above an 8 & 8 team until that part of the organization is fixed.

Overly dramatic much? Whitner's delusional. He can walk If he even thinks that he deserves anything more than average money for an NFL safety. I could care less if he does walk, because I think the Bills could use an upgrade at that position. We need a safety that can cover a freaking tight end once in his life, especially since the best team in the division features passes to tight ends.

first of all... its whitner. He has been out played by everyone. I know he has a lot of tackles... but seriously, its because he cant INT. or knock the ball out, he just ends up with a tackle. I can care less if he is happy or not. He will be gone at the end of the year and thats that.

secondly, this is the only situation that has occurred this year with a new GM. All that crap was last year or the year before. We can say Buddy cant draft yet because we havent seen these players down the road. We dont know how troup, Cj or anyone else will turn out.

All i hear from you is complaining, because thats what people do when your team only has 3 wins.

me, im happy whitner is pissed he cant get a contract going because it doesnt have the right about of zeros. maybe it will make him play finally.

GO BILLS!

Edited by Beerball

I'm not sure what Whitner is looking for compensation wise.

But if he is looking for elite safety dollars I think he will be in for a rude awakening if/when he shops himself around the league. He should be happy he still has a job, former first rounder or not. But then again maybe he saw the Kelsay contract and got delusions of grandeur and thought if the Bills would pay Kelsay that much then they might !@#$ up and overpay him too.

And regarding the quoted line above, you are delusional if you think every decision in the NFL, and I mean EVERY decision, is not a money decision.

I would argue the Bills need to get smarter about when to let players go. IF NE* is good at anything its their ability to say Buh-by to former players and turning them into draft picks. The Bills have had depth at safety for some time now. They could have shopped Whitner - maybe they only get a fourth rounder for him but maybe they get a litlle better. As it is Li-Donte will bring them nothing if he walks and not much more if he continues to play in meaningless games.

If he wants elite money then all he is doing is hanging on to his luck in the draft - the guy is not elite - never even wiffed a probowl much less made any game changing plays over his career.

At least there are players currently on the roster (Wilson,Scott) who could replace Whittner, who I believe has had a very good season. I would be much more upset if they let Lee Evans go to save money.While a little disappointed in his production this year, he is a good football player and that would be yet another hole we would have to fill.

I am 50/50 with your post.

I could not agree with you more on the usual suspects of Modrak, Littman, and Overdorf. IMO, they are the reason for the past decade of supreme suckitude and empty promises. In that way, I can sympathize with the marketing job Brandon has to do. Could you imagine knowing you had a steaming pile of poop every year, and you had to sell it as a sizzling cut of prime rib?

As far as Whitner is concerned...methinks you doth jest. What has Whitner shown during his tenure thus far to warrant any kind of pay increase? Please, he's practically a clone of Aaron Maybin, given his high draft status and lack of production to warrant such selection.

I originally gave him the benefit of the doubt and believed his excuses that it was the scheme of the previous coordinators. Now, with him playing the role of a more natural SS, he does not do much of anything worthy of a Top 8 Overall selection. If I spend a Top 8 pick on a safety, he better be a Troy Polamalu.

And to think, Haloti Ngata was available and could be causing so many problems for our opponents.

The only hard time I would have with Whitner walking is that we then lost another 1st round pick that could have been spent on Ngata.

first of all... its whitner. He has been out played by everyone. I know he has a lot of tackles... but seriously, its because he cant INT. or knock the ball out, he just ends up with a tackle. I can care less if he is happy or not. He will be gone at the end of the year and thats that.

secondly, this is the only situation that has occurred this year with a new GM. All that crap was last year or the year before. We can say Buddy cant draft yet because we havent seen these players down the road. We dont know how troup, Cj or anyone else will turn out.

All i hear from you is complaining, because thats what people do when your team only has 3 wins.

me, im happy whitner is pissed he cant get a contract going because it doesnt have the right about of zeros. maybe it will make him play finally.

GO BILLS!

Sadly, I agree.

Yet another example of the incompetent job of scouting players Modrak and crew have done this past decade. Yet another 1st rounder not living up to their draft status.

I agree that with Buddy now running the show, he may have other ideas in mind for the position. This was not his selection. Nor Gailey's. Whitner has done little to nothing since being here, besides making obscene predictions (making the playoffs) and "tweeting" like an idiot.

Really, if his production on the field only matched his mouth and twitter account, he might be worth the big bucks.

I don't know. He seems like he's toned it down some and seems like a good guy with a real competitive fire to win.

But like the overwhelming majority of our high round picks since Modrak came onboard, the Bills reached on him and have egg on their face yet again (Maybin, Losman, McCargo, McKelvin, Williams...).

I don't understand how we can consistently strike out on our value high rounders, and can salvage undrafted free agents and turn them into reliable starters (Jackson, Moorman, Greer, Peters).

Edited by Red

Funny how people forget that Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, and Bruce Smith all finished their careers with other teams.

I am so tired of seeing Whitner (and Byrd for that matter) running into the TV screens picture just after the receiver catches another pass for a TD or Big gain. It was so blatantly evident to me last year this team was better with Wilson on the field and I cannot fathom how the Bills – regardless of who the coach is – continues to epically fail in scouting their own dang roster. Every freaking season “Why did we cut Jim Leonard/Why is Greer no starting/Fred Jackson is so much better than A train” GW v Whitner is this years “what the heck can they be thinking???” player assessment. If you think this teams starting lineup gets worse when Whitner leaves you are sadly mistaken. The sooner GW is a starting safety for this team the better. He is a TRUE leader and guy the players respect (a big time rep to the players union, captain, and nicknamed “the senator” by his teammates) and from a friend of mine who knows him personally says he truly is a class act – and not b*tching about stuff on tweeter.

Good riddance lil man, well take your salary and hopefully can bring in a real football player.

Calm down a bit. You make a lot of assumptions that may not be based on facts.

1. Whitner may be asking for too much and he should not be tweeting his negotiations ... very immature.

2. Nix is the GM in charge of Football Operations. If he wants to keep Whitner his needs to make that happen. Overdorf works the contract details and the salary cap plan but Nix should decide the relative value to pay the players.

3. Littman is looking at the financial bottomline. I doubt he gets involved in every single negotiation. His role would be more like setting the financial goals for revenue, cost, and earnings. I should not be telling Overdorf and Nix "how to get there" but simple where they need to be at the organization level.

I want to keep Whitner at thr right price. Non of us have any real insight into how the nogotiation is going other than a Whitner tweet which, like I said, sounds like a negotiation tactic by Whitner.

Can't argue with your underlying theme, the front office has indeed underperformed horribly. I just want to see if Nix can make a difference and bring us back to the Polian/butler days.

Amazing post, bro. You manage to simultaneously propose a thesis I agree with -- the front office is totally dysfunctional -- yet cite as evidence their handling of the Whitner contract talks -- which happens to be totally brilliant.

He likes Buffalo, wants to continue his career as a Bill? Great. Enter into contract talks where your propose paying him as the average safety he is.

You are correct, there is one underlying problem with this franchise, but it is the ownership. He hires these clowns, he controls their spending, if they are too successful the chases them out of town before he has to pay them their worth. There are too many problems with this franchise/team to mention in one post, but they all point directly at the individual responsible for the assembly or shall I say the disassembly of this organization.

Totally agree with you there. Butler would have overpaid like he always did. That was one of his problems, he loved all the players and would overpay. There was a mess he left behind. It's been written many times he left because he was tired of dealing with RW. I''ve often wondered if it wasn't also becasue he knew the Bill's would be in salary trouble very soon, so best for him to leave town with his image intact and let someone else clean up the mess.

John Butler, would never let this happen.

Yep, 100% agreed. These buffoons have had their time to right the ship and they did crap thus far. When new ownership takes over that's the only way we can build for a championship. I have absolutely no faith in the "Good Ol Boys" mentality at OBD....

Yep, 100% agreed. These buffoons have had their time to right the ship and they did crap thus far. When new ownership takes over that's the only way we can build for a championship. I have absolutely no faith in the "Good Ol Boys" mentality at OBD....

This is sarcasm right?

PTR

Whitner is far from a franchise player so pissing him off (Which isn't what they are doing its just a negotiation) when there is already a capable replacement on the roster isn't a slight on the front office at all. Nix and Chan are capable football man and it shows. Its just Ralph seems to run this team with a committee of people since Donahoe left town so even the GM doesn't seem to have the power over the football decisions.

All in all I think that Nix is given full control of personnel this team will head in the right direction.