Gailey Down on Spiller?

plenzmd1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how that hints towards an attitude problem with CJ or that Gailey is down on him. Obviously like a lot of us, Gailey had high expectations for CJ to come in and make an impact, and CJ hasn't lived up to that role. That is all I read into that statement.

I guess I didn't see this as a call out... I think that Chan has a goal of having his players ready for NFL action when they step on the field, not thrown out there to learn. This is a different philosophy than we are used to, hopefully the results are different too. From the frying pan into the fire seemed to stunt a lot of the growth here over the last few years.

The curious case of CJ Spiller, and the rest of the rookies to a lesser degree, is maddening, because we all want somebody different than we've had, and we are hungry for a successful draft. I think that we'll see during Chan's tenure, which is hopefully a long one, that rookies aren't going to be handed jobs, and are likely to not see much PT their first year.

Again, CJ is a tough case, because we are all dying for that explosiveness, but Freddie is a pro's pro, and it is going to be hard to unseat him.

I don't see how that hints towards an attitude problem with CJ or that Gailey is down on him. Obviously like a lot of us, Gailey had high expectations for CJ to come in and make an impact, and CJ hasn't lived up to that role. That is all I read into that statement.

I guess I didn't see this as a call out... I think that Chan has a goal of having his players ready for NFL action when they step on the field, not thrown out there to learn. This is a different philosophy than we are used to, hopefully the results are different too. From the frying pan into the fire seemed to stunt a lot of the growth here over the last few years.

The curious case of CJ Spiller, and the rest of the rookies to a lesser degree, is maddening, because we all want somebody different than we've had, and we are hungry for a successful draft. I think that we'll see during Chan's tenure, which is hopefully a long one, that rookies aren't going to be handed jobs, and are likely to not see much PT their first year.

Again, CJ is a tough case, because we are all dying for that explosiveness, but Freddie is a pro's pro, and it is going to be hard to unseat him.

If this is really a quote from Chan Gailey:

"C.J. did some really good things in preseason," said Gailey. "But we all know the level of intensity goes up a notch when it's not preseason. C.J. wasn't able to adjust enough."

he is literally saying, without any sort of interpretation that "CJ Spiller has not adjusted to the intensity of the NFL."

I would consider that calling out CJ Spiller. For a coach to offer that kind of comment to the media is calling out CJ. With very little interpretation he is basically saying CJ Spiller needs to take his game a notch.

Its not like when a statement is made and a blogger takes it out of context and runs with it, if this quote is true, it is very literal what he means.

Plus DJ very rarely played rookies, so its not really a departure for the Buffalo Bills to have rookies on the shelf, if anything the 2010 Bills have had more contributions from Rookies than in years past.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Could be, but if he called out his "intensity" is that not calling out his attitude? He is not saying he is not as quick as we thought, or the plays just have not developed for him, or we as a coaching staff have to do a better job getting him involved..you know all the usual coach speak. He his saying his attitude has had an effect on producitivity....again that's if Chan even said this at all :w00t::oops: (friggen twitter)

Edited by plenzmd1

for the cleveland game, chan told c.j. and freddy to run between the tackles and hit those soft seams. even though freddy carried the load (29 carries, 112 yards, 3.9 avg), spiller had more yds/carry (8 - 33 - 4.1). i think cj is at a place where he could go in and be an every down back and probably get better with each game, he just has that nasty habit of pussyfooting in the backfield instead of hitting holes. chan told them to run north-south against cleveland and he did so fairly well (and i know 'fairly well' isn't what is expected of cj, but c'mon, he only got 8 carries. double that and i promise you he breaks one out.. even though it hasn't happened yet...).

cj will become an invaluable part of our offense. if he is given 25 carries a game and runs vertically, he will be a potent weapon. however, even though a part of me wants to see cj as our every down back now, it agree with how chan is handling the offense, giving freddy the lion's share because freddy is one of the smartest runners in the game. i love the fact cj has to sit there and watch freddy work his magic. he hits holes hard, keeps his feet churning, falls forward, and makes people miss without being flashy. make cj watch, learn, want it, earn it.

I consider it a call-out. I think it was perfectly appropriate, and diplomatically phrased. It was a not-so-subtle way of saying, "put up, or shut up; either kick it up a notch or you have no future playing for me."

It's not like he sought out the media trying to blow this out of proportion. It was a fair, and necessary, question that needed to be addressed.

Now we'll see if C.J. does the right thing ... which is to keep his mouth shut, stay the hell off of Twitter, and big his big boy underwear on.

I think he will. I sure as hell HOPE he does.

Go Bills!

I consider it a call-out. I think it was perfectly appropriate, and diplomatically phrased. It was a not-so-subtle way of saying, "put up, or shut up; either kick it up a notch or you have no future playing for me."

It's not like he sought out the media trying to blow this out of proportion. It was a fair, and necessary, question that needed to be addressed.

Now we'll see if C.J. does the right thing ... which is to keep his mouth shut, stay the hell off of Twitter, and big his big boy underwear on.

I think he will. I sure as hell HOPE he does.

Go Bills!

Twitter has absolutely nothing to do with Spiller's play on the field.

And anyone who followed a lick of college football will know that Spiller is full of heart, desire, and determination. But, he's a first round pick, so i guess we can't wait too long before we try to run him out of town.

Making a whole lot out of nothing... what would be more surprising is if Chan said that CJ is where he expects him to be.

Chan said this in one of his news conferences and it seems to be in line with his direct approach. Is Spiller where he wants him to be - no.

In that interview Chan indicated that Spiller had some setbacks this year, but I definitely did not get the same vibe that he reserves

for Maybin and others he has talked about as epic failures struggling to get onto the field. I think he was just saying that Spiller

is not where he should or could be, but has made progress.

Last week was a better outing for CJ. I noticed a lot less dancing behind the line. I think a lot of dynamic college players have to learn

early that dancing around in the backfield doesn't translate well in the NFL. Certainly there are plays where the RB has to display

patience and let the blocks develop, but for off-tackle or ISO runs you read a seam and you hit it "North" (never liked when folks

add South to that saying - sounds too much like being driven backwards).

The holes aren't as big in the NFL and the definitely do not last as long - he'll learn, he'll be fine.

Twitter has absolutely nothing to do with Spiller's play on the field.

And anyone who followed a lick of college football will know that Spiller is full of heart, desire, and determination. But, he's a first round pick, so i guess we can't wait too long before we try to run him out of town.

You're right that Twitter has nothing to do with Spiller's play on the field. My point is that it would be nice if he took this criticism professionally and instead of bitching about it via Twitter, he should prove his point on the field.

If anything, I suspect Spiller wants it TOO much. He's trying to hit the home run on every pitch, rather than taking the walks, singles, and doubles available. The comment about superstar college backs who need to learn not to dance is appropo, I think. Spiller isn't and will never be a power back, and it seems as though he has needed to "learn" how to play a bit differently than he did at Clemson, when he could dipsy-doo and cause a half-dozen guys to miss.

I'm in the camp of believing we will see a HUGE year 2 improvement out of this guy -- and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he has a "breakout" game in one of these final three.

You're right that Twitter has nothing to do with Spiller's play on the field. My point is that it would be nice if he took this criticism professionally and instead of bitching about it via Twitter, he should prove his point on the field.

Look at what you just wrote and what it implies.

From what I gather from this thread, a reporter "Tweeted" this story about Gailey's comments on Spiller.

Spiller has not "tweeted" anything in response.

Just trying to keep things straight. :)

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan