Gailey Down on Spiller?

plenzmd1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth is the HC calling out his first round draft pick in public? What is his goal? If he's not working hard enough, this is how the HC deals with it? He can think of no other way of motivating him?

Seems like CG is laying down a little covering fire.

LOL...this was a mistake from day one. A top 10 pick being outdone by Chris Ivory, Legarrette Blount, and Jahvid Best. And people are still defending this guy. :wallbash:

If we were drafting BPA, then we should've just taken Dez Bryant.

Chris Ivory will have rushed for almost 800 yds probably by the end of his rookie season, and same with Blount and Best will most likely have around 1,000 yds from scrimmage. But CJ Spiller? Way to earn your money. Supposedly RB is a hard position to adapt to in your rookie year. :thumbdown:

Edited by DreReed83

Why on earth is the HC calling out his first round draft pick in public? What is his goal? If he's not working hard enough, this is how the HC deals with it? He can think of no other way of motivating him?

Seems like CG is laying down a little covering fire.

Because Gailey's an honest, straight-forward, no-nonsense guy who usually answers questions that are asked of him by reporters?

Did you see his comments when asked about Aaron Maybin last week?

I think it's called accountability. Some would characterize his comments as "constructive criticism."

Gailey's not insulting Spiller…but he's being pretty blunt.

Diverging from the subject a little bit, I notice a lot of people around here take everything Gailey says with a grain of salt, like he's just another coachspeak coach. People here should know by now that Gailey doesn't often blow smoke. Very little of what he's said to the media has been a misrepresentation. For instance, he said it was very possible that the team would go into the season with all three veteran quarterbacks. Very few people here believed him. That's only one example.

When Gailey speaks, most of the time you can put the salt shaker down.

Back to the criticism I'm replying to on this post… Gailey is answering questions that he is being asked by media members, it's not like he's tweeting stuff.

I find Gailey's candor to be very refreshing. But then again, I try not to be a hyper-critical person.

Because Gailey's an honest, straight-forward, no-nonsense guy who usually answers questions that are asked of him by reporters?

Did you see his comments when asked about Aaron Maybin last week?

I think it's called accountability. Some would characterize his comments as "constructive criticism."

Gailey's not insulting Spiller…but he's being pretty blunt.

Diverging from the subject a little bit, I notice a lot of people around here take everything Gailey says with a grain of salt, like he's just another coachspeak coach. People here should know by now that Gailey doesn't often blow smoke. Very little of what he's said to the media has been a misrepresentation. For instance, he said it was very possible that the team would go into the season with all three veteran quarterbacks. Very few people here believed him. That's only one example.

When Gailey speaks, most of the time you can put the salt shaker down.

Back to the criticism I'm replying to on this post… Gailey is answering questions that he is being asked by media members, it's not like he's tweeting stuff.

I find Gailey's candor to be very refreshing. But then again, I try not to be a hyper-critical person.

I made no claims of insults. My question is much more basic. The majority here view this as a "calling out". I ask why this is necessary. How is the lad supposed to be motivated by this? Will he now go out and "quickly adjust to the NFL level" of play?

As HC, why not just say "he's coming along exactly as I planned and as I expected" and leave it at that. Half the folks here would start threads regarding the very smart way CG is shepparding his young RB through his first season--maintaining his confidence along the way....or something to that effect.

Why make him look a bit...slower than his peers who were picked after him? I see no benefit to Gailey's candor here.

By the way, I think more people than a few knew they weren't going to keep Brown over Fitz.

LOL...this was a mistake from day one. A top 10 pick being outdone by Chris Ivory, Legarrette Blount, and Jahvid Best. And people are still defending this guy. :wallbash:

Chris Ivory will have rushed for almost 800 yds probably by the end of his rookie season, and same with Blount and Best will most likely have around 1,000 yds from scrimmage. But CJ Spiller? Way to earn your money. Supposedly RB is a hard position to adapt to in your rookie year. :thumbdown:

You are becoming the #1 troll on this board. Now queue your "next lame point" post..

Look at what you just wrote and what it implies.

From what I gather from this thread, a reporter "Tweeted" this story about Gailey's comments on Spiller.

Spiller has not "tweeted" anything in response.

Just trying to keep things straight. :)

I know he hasn't tweeted anything. I'm just saying I hope he doesn't.

It really has upset me how Fitz's Qb play has hindered CJ this year....???

You are oversimplifying what I said. Fitzpatrick is a serviceable QB. He can take what the defensive gives him- but he can't impose his will on the defense. Also, our offensive tackle situation is in shambles.

Spiller will never be a feature back, but he can do for us what Reggie Bush does for New Orleans, once we get those areas taken care of.

+1. I still haven't figured out why it exists.

Social Media is only going to get bigger, so you need to get used to it. There is no TV or printed news anymore, because it is no longer new at the point or reception- twitter, facebook and other social media sources and the new way to get news out. For better or worse, that's a fact.

Edited by Adam

No pick is going to live up to the hype unless it's a defensive front 7 player. When a few of those do, and we can actually play "normal" games where we are in them the entire time (as opposed to getting blown out or passing all over to come back) then these other guys can make a big play that allows us to win. Then they will "live up" to the hype.

You are oversimplifying what I said. Fitzpatrick is a serviceable QB. He can take what the defensive gives him- but he can't impose his will on the defense. Also, our offensive tackle situation is in shambles.

Spiller will never be a feature back, but he can do for us what Reggie Bush does for New Orleans, once we get those areas taken care of.

Social Media is only going to get bigger, so you need to get used to it. There is no TV or printed news anymore, because it is no longer new at the point or reception- twitter, facebook and other social media sources and the new way to get news out. For better or worse, that's a fact.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I wouldn't say our OT situation is in "shambles." But it can definately be improved upon.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I wouldn't say our OT situation is in "shambles." But it can definately be improved upon.

I don't see Bell as the dominant OT people say- he is competent at times and could be a good backup.

I don't see Bell as the dominant OT people say- he is competent at times and could be a good backup.

He's nowhere near dominant but he's a decent tackle; which is why i keep saying we should move him to RT. Keep Levitre, Wood and Urbik inside and get a dominant LT in free agency.

He's nowhere near dominant but he's a decent tackle; which is why i keep saying we should move him to RT. Keep Levitre, Wood and Urbik inside and get a dominant LT in free agency.

This is an automated response.

Suggestions of moving D. Bell to right tackle will automatically be refuted by the argument that the skill sets of left and right offensive tackles are very different.

This is an automated response.

Aside from Jahvid best, who's started from day one, your comparison sucks. The only reason Chris Ivory saw the field was because of Pierre's injury. Blount is playing more because Williams and Grahm have been banged up all year. They both are avg. backs at best, too.

Spiller came into a rookie-unfriendly situation with two 1,000 backs ahead of him. I'm not defending him at all, just pointing out how useless your comparison was.