Moats vs Maybin

mike oxhurtz

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/12/14/1875069/the-difference-between-maybin-and-moats

I agree with the author's comparisons of the two. Moats is a smart player, spends a lot of time studying game film and is willing to do whatever the coaches ask of him. Maybin seems to rely on his bread-and-butter move, and wishes the coaches would let him play the style of football he's used to playing (sounds like Haynesworth). I wouldn't doubt if Maybin is cut loose this offseason. If he's given another shot next year and doesn't improve, he'll be a preseason cut.

"I feel like it's all getting better," Maybin said. "The counters and all those moves you use to offset your speed, you have to still play within the continuity of the defense. If you have to maintain outside position, you can't take an inside move and you can't counter inside. With a lot of that stuff, I have to kind of shackle my game a little bit to play within the scheme of the defense and what we need out there, which is we need everybody to play technically sound. So when we do get a little bit of freedom out there, I do like to go to my arsenal of moves and try to throw some things together that guys haven't seen before." He was criticized by Gailey in that same article for needing to know exactly where to play and how to play the run."

If Maybin would counter more to the inside, he would have a better chance of getting to the QB. But according to Maybin's quote, he doesn't like to counter to the inside.

Perfect reason why Maybin hardly sees the field - he's not willing to do what the coaches tell him to do. This is a game of adjustments and if he's not willing to adjust, he'll have a very short career.

Kind of sounds like Haynesworth a little bit. IMO, if you're getting paid by an employer, you do whatever job it is they want you to do, not do whatever it is you want to do. I'd rather have a hungry 6th rounder who's willing to do whatever is asked of him and whatever it takes to succeed, than a spoiled 1st rounder or a supposedly football star (Haynesworth) anytime.

Good article. Unfortunately, Maybin will probably need to hit bottom (waiver wire) in order to wake up.

He seems to be physically limted to play DE or LB in the NFL. This is not college. He is very poor against the run and has made no impact as a pass rusher either. He just does not look stout enought to play in the NFL. Some players make up for that with brains and heart. Have not seen that from him yet. Maybe he will get bigger and work harder? The huge contract he recieved is doing nothing to motivate him.

"I feel like it's all getting better," Maybin said. "The counters and all those moves you use to offset your speed, you have to still play within the continuity of the defense. If you have to maintain outside position, you can't take an inside move and you can't counter inside. With a lot of that stuff, I have to kind of shackle my game a little bit to play within the scheme of the defense and what we need out there, which is we need everybody to play technically sound. So when we do get a little bit of freedom out there, I do like to go to my arsenal of moves and try to throw some things together that guys haven't seen before." He was criticized by Gailey in that same article for needing to know exactly where to play and how to play the run."

If Maybin would counter more to the inside, he would have a better chance of getting to the QB. But according to Maybin's quote, he doesn't like to counter to the inside.

Not defending Maybin as a player, but that isn't what he said at all in that quote. According to the quote the continuity of the defense, maintaining outside leverage, does not allow him to counter to the inside.

"... you have to still play within the continuity of the defense. If you have to maintain outside position, you can't take an inside move and you can't counter inside. With a lot of that stuff, I have to kind of shackle my game a little bit to play within the scheme of the defense and what we need ..."

Well, one guy's shackle is another guy's Sportscenter highlight. Playing within the scheme and maintaining outside position is what has set up each of Moats' big plays. Moats gets help, but Moats knows what to do with it.

On the Delhomme fumble, Moats' role was to edge rush along the outside lane. Spencer Johnson lined up at NT, alongside Kyle at RDE. Spencer's job on the play -- and this was absolutely schemed -- was drive into the center, clamp onto him, and drive him backward like a forklift. Spencer executed perfectly and rode Mack over 4 yards backwards. He didn't try to shed. Or penetrate. Or show off his "arsenal of moves". He just played his role in the scheme. Meanwhile, Kyle stunted directly into the right guard, clapped a hand under each armpit and began doing the same thing. And you know Kyle has other moves.

Result is, when Moats finished his quarter-circle arc from point A to point B, Delhomme had been nicely backed up and was waiting at ground zero.

On the Favre/Moats play a week earlier, they sent a blitzing safety into the middle of the line. Same purpose, even though the play ended up developing differently. On the sack Poz was credited for in Minnesota, which originally looked like an 0.5 for Moats, Poz had that role of providing middle push.

So one difference between Moats and Maybin is that Moats might better appreciate how "shackling" his game within the scheme is what makes it work. Another difference is that Moats is simply better at staying alive out there. He has better balance and keeps his feet churning underneath him. He's also better at fighting off the LT's hands with his own. So far, the lineman seem to have a easier time steering Maybin out of a play or simply chucking him to the ground.

Well, one guy's shackle is another guy's Sportscenter highlight. Playing within the scheme and maintaining outside position is what has set up each of Moats' big plays. Moats gets help, but Moats knows what to do with it.

On the Delhomme fumble, Moats' role was to edge rush along the outside lane. Spencer Johnson lined up at NT, alongside Kyle at RDE. Spencer's job on the play -- and this was absolutely schemed -- was drive into the center, clamp onto him, and drive him backward like a forklift. Spencer executed perfectly and rode Mack over 4 yards backwards. He didn't try to shed. Or penetrate. Or show off his "arsenal of moves". He just played his role in the scheme. Meanwhile, Kyle stunted directly into the right guard, clapped a hand under each armpit and began doing the same thing. And you know Kyle has other moves.

Result is, when Moats finished his quarter-circle arc from point A to point B, Delhomme had been nicely backed up and was waiting at ground zero.

On the Favre/Moats play a week earlier, they sent a blitzing safety into the middle of the line. Same purpose, even though the play ended up developing differently. On the sack Poz was credited for in Minnesota, which originally looked like an 0.5 for Moats, Poz had that role of providing middle push.

So one difference between Moats and Maybin is that Moats might better appreciate how "shackling" his game within the scheme is what makes it work. Another difference is that Moats is simply better at staying alive out there. He has better balance and keeps his feet churning underneath him. He's also better at fighting off the LT's hands with his own. So far, the lineman seem to have a easier time steering Maybin out of a play or simply chucking him to the ground.

Good analysis. Moats also has the lower back strength that can put tackles on their heels a bit. If you aren't strong enough to bullrush an O lineman once in awhile it's hard to set up any other moves especially with left tackles who just wait for your outside move and send you flying upfield and out of the play.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/12/14/1875069/the-difference-between-maybin-and-moats

I agree with the author's comparisons of the two. Moats is a smart player, spends a lot of time studying game film and is willing to do whatever the coaches ask of him. Maybin seems to rely on his bread-and-butter move, and wishes the coaches would let him play the style of football he's used to playing (sounds like Haynesworth). I wouldn't doubt if Maybin is cut loose this offseason. If he's given another shot next year and doesn't improve, he'll be a preseason cut.

Bread & butter indicates that the move works more often than not (tried & true), doesn't it? Maybin doesn't have a bread & butter move. Maybin has a crumb & oleo move on the field perhaps.

I have to admit that I laughed out loud when I read Maybin's quote, "So when we do get a little bit of freedom out there, I do like to go to my arsenal of moves and try to throw some things together that guys haven't seen before."

It still gives me a chuckle. Note to Maybin: We're ALL looking for you to throw together something. And soon.

Bread & butter indicates that the move works more often than not (tried & true), doesn't it? Maybin doesn't have a bread & butter move. Maybin has a crumb & oleo move on the field perhaps.

:w00t::worthy:

Isn't that the truth. The only move I've ever seen Maybin make is the one where he goes fast to the outside, and lowers in shoulder so he can try and get underneath of the O-lineman and get to the QB...his 'bread and butter...crumb and oleo' move has yet to work in the NFL...guess that's his arsenal of moves.

If Maybin had the rookie year Moats is having, everyone would have been saying what a great pick Maybin was.

While I'm far from a Maybin fan I must agree; it seems as if everyone is just piling on. The sad thing is that Moats isn't the answer either as far as pass rusher goes! I mean he only has 1.5 sacks! While he has gotten a few more pressures the past 2 weeks its not like he has been consistent at it; I mean for 4,5 games I have watched him get manhandle the same way Maybin does by bigger OT. Difference is: Moats was given a chance to learn on the fly while Maybin rots on the bench.

While I'm far from a Maybin fan I must agree; it seems as if everyone is just piling on. The sad thing is that Moats isn't the answer either as far as pass rusher goes! I mean he only has 1.5 sacks! While he has gotten a few more pressures the past 2 weeks its not like he has been consistent at it; I mean for 4,5 games I have watched him get manhandle the same way Maybin does by bigger OT. Difference is: Moats was given a chance to learn on the fly while Maybin rots on the bench.

Maybin has been given plenty of chances, but he just hasn't proven that he belongs on the field. IMO...he is very poor in run support because he is not strong enough, and he is very limited as a pass rusher. He can't rely on his "initial burst and speed rush" on every single play!! NFL left tackles are far too athletic.

Moats appears to be a good player. He's stout and strong, he's coachable, and let's face it....the guy just makes plays.

I'm not ready to anoint Moats as the next James Harrison, but I certainly am optimistic that we have found our starter at OLB. Bye bye Maybin.

Maybin has been given plenty of chances, but he just hasn't proven that he belongs on the field. IMO...he is very poor in run support because he is not strong enough, and he is very limited as a pass rusher. He can't rely on his "initial burst and speed rush" on every single play!! NFL left tackles are far too athletic.

Moats appears to be a good player. He's stout and strong, he's coachable, and let's face it....the guy just makes plays.

I'm not ready to anoint Moats as the next James Harrison, but I certainly am optimistic that we have found our starter at OLB. Bye bye Maybin.

What games were you watching bluv?

Difference is Maybin hasn't taken advantage of the opportunities he has been given to learn and is only on the roster because he was a first round pick and it looks bad to cut him. The difference is Maybin believes he has an "Arsenal of Moves" (it must be an arsenal of nerf guns because its not really having an impact) and Maybin is not coming in with an attitude to learn. That is the point of the Buffalo News article.

Moats can be the answer, it doesn't matter if he was drafted in the 6th round, he is making the most of his opportunities and performing on the field. If he averaged 1.5 sacks for every 4 games for a career the Bills would be very happy, if he can improve that average with the hard work he is putting in, he could very well become an "elite player" that he aspires to, as opposed to beliveing that you are already are an elite player because you were drafted early.

:thumbsup:

And Great Analysis steampunk.

you get a :thumbsup: too

Edited by Why So Serious?

I thought from the very first time i saw his BS reaction (of emotions) when he got drafted that this guy is a FAKE - A HOT DOG & DEFINITELY NOT A BUFFALO TYPE OF GUY !!!!

Then when he was first coming to Buffalo with his mentor (can't remember his name) it was a dead give away that we made the wrong pick !! Who ever made the final decision to pick Maybin over Orapko & Mathews needs to be :censored: slapped !!!!!!!!!! Then fired !!!!!!!!!!

They need to try & trade him even if it is for a low draft pick just to try & get something out of the pick to redeem some of the time & money they wasted on him , cause you know when he leaves it will be all the Bills fault for not letting him play to his game instead of what the team needed him to do (HOT DOG !!!!) :oops:

Moats is 10 times the player Maybin will ever be especially at the value of the pick !!!!!!

Edited by T master