Moats vs Maybin

mike oxhurtz

I know Moats was actually drafted, and I almost wanted to use this quote to start another discussion, but Gregg Easterbrook made an interesting statement in his column this week that fits in here. It might floor some of the people who can't get over the number of "untalented" UDFAs and low-round picks playing for the Bills. I'll buy that the Bills need more front-line talent and they need to hit on higher picks, but here's what Easterbrook said:

The Patriots started five players who were not drafted or were waived at least once; the Bears started two such players. A week ago, undrafted Danny Woodhead, BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Wes Welker significantly outperformed the Jets' offense, which starts eight first-round draft choices.

Is it actually an advantage to work with unwanted players? At the NFL level, in many cases a guy chosen in the first round has perhaps 10 percent more talent than a guy who just misses being chosen, such as Welker. If both performed with the same motivation, the first-round guy would prevail. But high-drafted megabucks players tend to devote a lot of time and energy to complaining, while the undrafted give you what they've got. The kind of players who give you what they've got benefit more from coaching. Note that Belichick's teams almost never have busted plays, blown coverages or wrong routes. Undrafted or unwanted players learn the playbook and watch film. High-drafted glory-boy types think they can just show up and wing it. Busted plays are a bigger factor in NFL outcomes than commonly understood. Working with humble players allows Belichick to nearly eliminate the blown assignment.

He was talking about the Patriots, but this could apply to the Bills.

I know Moats was actually drafted, and I almost wanted to use this quote to start another discussion, but Gregg Easterbrook made an interesting statement in his column this week that fits in here. It might floor some of the people who can't get over the number of "untalented" UDFAs and low-round picks playing for the Bills. I'll buy that the Bills need more front-line talent and they need to hit on higher picks, but here's what Easterbrook said:

He was talking about the Patriots, but this could apply to the Bills.

The Patriots have 7 players drafted on the second round of the draft in 2009 and 2010 that play significant time or start.

It seems that the Patriots avoid the first round money and expectations.

The Bills should be in a great position to trade down in this draft.

There are about 4 players with a second round grade I wish the Bills would get.

This would be an excellent year to pull one out of the Patriots draft book.

We're talking about the top 64 players in all of College Football the difference between a 1st round and 2 nd round pick is 1% if you could quantify it like Eaterbrook did.

There is a significant difference as far as money and expectations go.

Trade down for a 1st and a 2nd then do it again if the Patriots can why can't the Bills.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The Patriots have 7 players drafted on the second round of the draft in 2009 and 2010 that play significant time or start.

It seems that the Patriots avoid the first round money and expectations.

The Bills should be in a great position to trade down in this draft.

There are about 4 players with a second round grade I wish the Bills would get.

This would be an excellent year to pull one out of the Patriots draft book.

We're talking about the top 64 players in all of College Football the difference between a 1st round and 2 nd round pick is 1% if you could quantify it like Eaterbrook did.

There is a significant difference as far as money and expectations go.

Trade down for a 1st and a 2nd then do it again if the Patriots can why can't the Bills.

+1

Ralph likes cheap players. This is a perfect idea for our organization. Ralph does not have to spend more money and the more players we get the better chance that we will hit on one.

Edited by b stein 22

Playing within the scheme and maintaining outside position is what has set up each of Moats' big plays. Moats gets help, but Moats knows what to do with it.

And you know Kyle has other moves. Moats has been put in a position to succeed and is as mentioned, doing so.

End quote

Great analysis btw sir.

Most of the guys who are doing well now seem to give compliment to other playerss and Coach, Mr Maybin seems to be on an island of his own imagination by that statement.

Maybe we should convert him to TE. One to Humble him. And who knows , he might work out. We are going to have to dump him at this rate anyways and we are looking for some stud tight ends i think?

]

Edited by 3rdand12

maybin is amazing. 'shackle his game'? he has a game? there is some tried and true maybin path to success that is being hindered? too much mtv and dora the explorer for that guy.

His game plan = petition Roger Goodell to grant franchises to Coastal Carolina, University of Indiana, and Temple.

If you want to achieve a whole new level of pissed off, read this CBS sports draft preview on Maybin.

Some choice bits:

He is a one-dimensional player who does not show the field smarts needed to be efficient in pass coverage as an outside linebacker.
He struggles to shed, lacks discipline on the field and at this stage of his game, his best value is just as a pass rusher. Even so, he lacks an array of moves, outside of his initial burst.
Maybin lacks experience, technique and displays just adequate awareness. He gets a bit reckless in his play and struggles quite a bit to recognize and then split double teams. He sifts out the ball at the line of scrimmage, but lacks awareness in pass coverage. He is slow to react to the thrown ball and while he can retain plays, he needs more than a few reps to do so. He just gets by as a student.
His marginal hip flexibility is seen through his drop, as he needs to gather before accelerating. He also seems to lack ball anticipation ability when playing away from the line (fails to locate the ball quickly).

I'm not a hater and I don't feel like there's no chance this kid could ever succeed in the league. I've defended his upside before. But it strikes me that the ONLY way he could possibly have succeeded in the NFL, coming out as early as he did and at this age, was to go to a franchise with a lot of true defensive leaders with a record of success. I'm talking about guys who would to treat him like the kid he is, and treat him like someone who has a lot to learn. I can't stand Ray Lewis, but we all know that Maybin wouldn't challenge or shrug off Lewis the way he can a coach. Aside from giving him a lot of money that he didn't have to earn, the Bills probably did him no favors by bringing him to this franchise, and by making him a highly touted first rounder instead of a second-rounder with something to prove.

I can't write off a guy who's 22, but it doesn't seem like the light is going to come on for him unless he really wants it to... especially in Buffalo. Even then, a sizable chapter has been written in the book on Maybin. Teams know this. Here's hoping otherwise.

All you need to see is Arthur Moats blowing past Joe Thomas (an all pro tackle), to strip Delhomme of the ball and that shows me the kinda talent this guy has. Also the fact that the he was on A LOT of teams radar on draft tells me somethin. He also has a MUCH better personality and isn't a prima donna like Maybin is. I still don't see the point in comparing the 2. Moats is already light years ahead of Maybin in his first year.

Loving this Moats kid.

Edited by DreReed83

Then when he was first coming to Buffalo with his mentor (can't remember his name) it was a dead give away that we made the wrong pick !! Who ever made the final decision to pick Maybin over Orapko & Mathews needs to be :censored: slapped !!!!!!!!!! Then fired !!!!!!!!!!

I think that mentor was Lavar Arrington.

All one had to do was look at this dudes Frohawk when he finally signed his overinflated contract and you KNEW how much of a douche he would become.

Can anyone believe that this dingleberry held out? What have the Bills gotten in the bargain?

An idiot who walks around like he's carrying luggage all the time?

Hey Maybin, drop the "lat spread", stop celebrating every time your cleat touches the field, and grow up!

I think that mentor was Lavar Arrington.

You would be correct!

Lavar Arrington, and a little bit Ray Lewis.

If play is any indicator, it is all Arrington and no Lewis.

His game plan = petition Roger Goodell to grant franchises to Coastal Carolina, University of Indiana, and Temple.

If you want to achieve a whole new level of pissed off, read this CBS sports draft preview on Maybin.

Some choice bits:

I'm not a hater and I don't feel like there's no chance this kid could ever succeed in the league. I've defended his upside before. But it strikes me that the ONLY way he could possibly have succeeded in the NFL, coming out as early as he did and at this age, was to go to a franchise with a lot of true defensive leaders with a record of success. I'm talking about guys who would to treat him like the kid he is, and treat him like someone who has a lot to learn. I can't stand Ray Lewis, but we all know that Maybin wouldn't challenge or shrug off Lewis the way he can a coach. Aside from giving him a lot of money that he didn't have to earn, the Bills probably did him no favors by bringing him to this franchise, and by making him a highly touted first rounder instead of a second-rounder with something to prove.

I can't write off a guy who's 22, but it doesn't seem like the light is going to come on for him unless he really wants it to... especially in Buffalo. Even then, a sizable chapter has been written in the book on Maybin. Teams know this. Here's hoping otherwise.

Well, if the CBS quote is true: he has up until now, allowed his play to speak for itself.

Cut this loser NOW!

If my grandmother had a penis then she'd be my grandfather. But she doesn't, so she isn't.

You made me LOL and scare my co-workers.

Wait...so if you grandmother had a penis, she should would be your grandfather? Then who would you grandfather be? Are we just supposed to forget about him? Or is he willing to explore new things and perhaps doesn't mind a little man bits in his woman soup??

Some choice bits:

yes indeed. cbs has to come to work in the draft room. maybin is (much more likely than not, as in betting my firstborn likely) going to remain in ebon fields. if he played baseball, he'd be riding the pine in batavia.

That cbs bit is disturbing to say the least. My first reading. I gotta think more than one person contributed to this evaluation of Maybin. How could so many be so off the mark. I read it more than once to look for some wiggle room from the writing. But this guy sounds really good at this point. I would absolutely want to get a good look at him as a need and big upside in the draft. WT heck happened? He really is not even currently liked by our staff it seems.

But Moats, is another, and much happier story so far.