The NFC West co-leaders are both 6-7

NFL needs to institute a rule like college ball where you need to win so many games to become "playoff-eligible." You're probably looking at a 10 win team missing the playoffs in the NFC, while a 7-9 team makes it in.

There's going to be a dogfight for the #5 seed in the NFC. You basically get a bye getting to go to and "play" the rams or seahawks, while the poor #6 seed will have to go to Chicago/philly/NYG for their wildcard.

Hey, everybody knew the Rams were gonna suck. They only one a single game last year. They are 6-7 right now, which is a huge improvement. They actually should've won 2 more games, but they didn't realize at the time that they were good enough to win those games. This illustrates what a franchise quarterback can do for a sad sack of a team.

NFL needs to institute a rule like college ball where you need to win so many games to become "playoff-eligible." You're probably looking at a 10 win team missing the playoffs in the NFC, while a 7-9 team makes it in.

There's going to be a dogfight for the #5 seed in the NFC. You basically get a bye getting to go to and "play" the rams or seahawks, while the poor #6 seed will have to go to Chicago/philly/NYG for their wildcard.

it shouldnt be toooooo much of a dogfight. Granted - saints beating the rams so handily yesterday has me quietly hoping they play them in st louis in the first round :thumbsup:

2008 really showed me how screwed up the way they do the wildcards and anything post season related.

The colts, Ravens, Falcons and Eagles were all wildcard teams. Their records were 12-4, 11-5, 11-5 and 9-6-1 respectively.

Meanwhile the Chargers, Vikings and Cardinals were 8-8,10-6 and 9-7 and all clinched their division. While other teams with better than .500 records(Pats 11-5, Cowboys 9-7, Bucs 9-7, Jets 9-7) didn't even get a playoff berth.

If they were going to change anything about the NFL I would prefer they not go to 18 games, get rid of the first round bye and have the top 2 teams in each division get a berth. Those two teams would play each other in place of the wildcard. Then play the rest of it out as normal. If my math is right, I believe this comes out to there being 5 weeks of playoffs(including superbowl) as opposed to 4 weeks now.

But hey, I also cracked my head open when I was younger so I'm probably just rambling.

2008 really showed me how screwed up the way they do the wildcards and anything post season related.

The colts, Ravens, Falcons and Eagles were all wildcard teams. Their records were 12-4, 11-5, 11-5 and 9-6-1 respectively.

Meanwhile the Chargers, Vikings and Cardinals were 8-8,10-6 and 9-7 and all clinched their division. While other teams with better than .500 records(Pats 11-5, Cowboys 9-7, Bucs 9-7, Jets 9-7) didn't even get a playoff berth.

If they were going to change anything about the NFL I would prefer they not go to 18 games, get rid of the first round bye and have the top 2 teams in each division get a berth. Those two teams would play each other in place of the wildcard. Then play the rest of it out as normal. If my math is right, I believe this comes out to there being 5 weeks of playoffs(including superbowl) as opposed to 4 weeks now.

But hey, I also cracked my head open when I was younger so I'm probably just rambling.

I like that system. And it wouldn't extend the season. You'd have 8 "wildcard" games with division winner playing division #2, and then 4 divisional playoff games with the 4 winners. (I'd re-seed the teams based on record after the WC week). Then the 2 conference championship games and the Super Bowl.

How is this better? Your system would penalize the teams in the toughest divisions by having number 1 play number 2 instead of a bye or the lowest seeded team. And the Rams and the Seahawks are still going to get into the playoffs, no matter how bad their records.

How is this better? Your system would penalize the teams in the toughest divisions by having number 1 play number 2 instead of a bye or the lowest seeded team. And the Rams and the Seahawks are still going to get into the playoffs, no matter how bad their records.

I agree it would penalize teams in the toughest divisions but it would also add to, if not create great rivalries. As for the rams and seahawks, there's nothing you can do about mediocre teams getting in to the playoffs.

I just don't see how it is fair when a single division can have 3 teams in the playoffs and only one from another. NFC east is a prime example. Giants were 8-8 in 2008 and got into the wildcard along with Cowboys and Eagles won the division. Then there were 3 other 8-8 teams in the NFC that didn't make it from different divisions.

So instead of having the two teams in the same division play each other, have the brackets as they are now but with only the top two teams. So the top seed will play the lower seed and each division has two teams represented in the playoffs.

In MOST cases, those two teams in the toughest division will just end up playing each other for the conference championship.

• 2 weeks later...

No thanks. Leave the playoff system as it is. Yes, no one from the NFC West deserves to go to the playoffs, but let's face it this is an extremely rare moment in the NFL. Only once before has a team won a division with an 8-8 record. Aside from that, more times than not, the teams with the better records make it to the playoffs.

This is'nt like the NBA, where a team can be 15 games under .500 and still get in the playoffs. This is an aberration.

The NFL playoffs are fine, leave it alone.