Redskins suspend Haynesworth for season

papazoid

How would Haynesworth do as a DE in our 3-4? I know he is an ass, but so is Shanahan. He could solidify our line and we can devote our offseason stocking up pass rushers and LBers

I knew there would be one. Haynesworth should be called Hanesworthless. In no way, shape, or form would I want this guy on our team. He is not a team guy and would not fit in what we are trying to build here. NO Thanks.

i know people are lining up saying that we shouldn't sign him but we need playmakers on our def and he fits the profile. sometimes you need players who play with an edge both on the field and in life...look at lt, ray lewis mike vick, etc. its never good for pr but if the guy can help you win games you take a look at him. the skins sold this guy on being the face of the team in the 4-3 system where he can get after the qb and put up big stats. could you imagine a line with him kyle williams, carrington and maybe a top end from this coming draft or kelsay? it would be terrible for pr but this could help our def stop the run.

I was wrong. There are now two.

agreed. I am a bills fan in the D.C. area and the redskins have had some very serious injury problems on offense, plus they drafted two WRs a couple years ago who were busts. Shanny is pretty much starting from scratch on offense. Bills fans are just jealous and mad that Shanny turned down Ralph's offer last year. Redskins are a much more stable organization than the Bills, who hang on Ralph's every heartbeat. No high quality talent is coming to the Bills when either Ralph is still the owner or comparable $$ are available elsewhere. just the way it is. lovable losers, the bills. at least Snyder is trying to compete for the title. Ralph is just happy to have a franchise.

please, speak for yourself. I am not jealous nor mad, in fact, quite the opposite. Can't stand the man and his arrogance. And personally I don't think he's that good of a coach, even though he has a ring. I am very happy with who we got and wouldn't change it for anything. Sounds like you should be a redskins fan the way your kissing all their asses.

I'm not saying I agree with how Haynesworth has handled this situation, but It would be like signing Deion Sanders to a huge contract then one year later telling him you are changing defenses and need him to play the cover 2.

You know what, having been in business for myself for a good number of years, if I'm paying someone 100 million dollars and I want him to move over a couple feet in the best interest of the team, he better be sliding over. Or SEE YA!

Edited by EastRochBillsfan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so worst case it costs him less than 3% of his contract with the Skins.

It will cost him $900,000 dollars, and also likely the $5.4 he was scheduled to earn next year (although it wouldn't surprise me if someone else ended up paying him comparable or even more money next year.)

So far he has been paid $11 million in 2009 ($5 million signing bonus and $6 million salary) and $23.7 million in 2010 ($21 million option bonus and the rest salary.)

The Redskins are going to try and reclaim some of the option bonus he was paid this year by saying that he has not performed services as agreed to in their contract. The Eagles did not have success with trying to do this (beyond 4 games) with T.O.; I believe the Falcons did have some success at recouping bonus money to Michael Vick.

I'm not sure exactly what bone you have to pick with Shanahan, but to suggest it's a show to cover his own shortcomings is just ridiculous. They paid Haynesworth a ****-ton of money, and they are positioning themselves to try and get back some. Additionally, there isn't a head coach in the league that would stand for the BS that Haynesworth has dealt out so far this season.

The rumor I heard: out til 2/230 on Wednesday, leads to a lazy practice Thursday. Out late Thursday leads to him showing up smelling like booze Friday. Late to practice because team wanted to give him breathalyzer and he refused, union backed him, team made him inactive. Between the suspension and his teammates adamantly coming out against him on the record, it seems possible. He admits to being out til bars closed Wednesday but claims to have stopped drinking earlier. Says he went home from the bar early Thursday because he wasnt feeling well.

the sad part is I heard it was at a Bugaboo Creek...WTF????

The guy is completely lazy. The Monday night game against the Eagles... it was clear as day that he had given up on a play where Vick scored. He made one move off the line and got knocked over. First mistake. Second, his fat butt was sat on the ground looking around to see if the play was over, when he saw it wasn't he did absolutely nothing. The reason it sticks out so much is because even the announcers commented on it as well. Said how bad it would look on tape. The play lasted something like 10-15 secs. It was pathetic. I can't believe people are even entertaining the thought that he could possibly help this team. No thanks.

Shanny did by saying he's conduct is detrimental to the team, blah blah.

Sure Hayneswroth is an issue, but Shanny is blowing it out of proportion to cover HIS OWN issues as a coach

The NFL labor agreement is written in a highly favorable manner for the players. Read it. Has nothing to do with your sense of right and wrong.

The NFLPA would be wise to walk away from this dud. They have enough problems with the new CBA and supporting a no-account loser like this sets a miserable precedent for other players in the league.

The NFLPA would be wise to walk away from this dud. They have enough problems with the new CBA and supporting a no-account loser like this sets a miserable precedent for other players in the league.

Doubt it. NFLPA is a union and unions never, ever walk away from a situation just because a union member is in the wrong. Hasn't happened since before Walter Reuther. Ain't gonna happen tomorrow, either. I have two nephews who work in the auto industry in Detroit. Their stories about abusive behavior by union members would make you cringe.

I also believe that Shanahan played this situation badly and it will reflect badly on him. It was obvious from the get-go that he didn't want Fat Albert around. Shanahan should have traded Fat Albert a.s.a.p. But instead he went off on this battle of the wills with Fat Albert and this is where he ended up. Personally, I hope this situation blows up in Shanahan's face.

lol nice work Shanny. Yeah it's Albert's fault you have the worst offense in the league!!

C'mon.

Comments like this....

Dude, living down here in DC I get all things Redskins by default. Along with the Ravens (whom I can't stand), the news here is that he has never shown up since his ridiculous contract landed him here from Tennessee.

Back before they signed him, there was talk around the league about "is this the real Haynesworth that we saw in his last year in TN?"

With history as evidence, we now know that Haynesworth played his rather large rump off for the benjamins. For the pay day.

He is hopefully the last player of name-stature that the well-meaning but misguided Dan Snyder will ever attempt to pay for.

Maybe a few of those "let's get the big name head coach" Bills fans will learn something, too....

The guy is completely lazy. The Monday night game against the Eagles... it was clear as day that he had given up on a play where Vick scored. He made one move off the line and got knocked over. First mistake. Second, his fat butt was sat on the ground looking around to see if the play was over, when he saw it wasn't he did absolutely nothing. The reason it sticks out so much is because even the announcers commented on it as well. Said how bad it would look on tape. The play lasted something like 10-15 secs. It was pathetic. I can't believe people are even entertaining the thought that he could possibly help this team. No thanks.

Thank you, WAYNE!

Somebody gets it.

I understand that the Redskins are out of the Buffalo market, but trust me...as a resident of the DC metro area...Haynesworth has never shown up for the Redskins. He's always got an "owie" or has a "boo boo" and can't play. Or he feels wronged.

He is an example of everything wrong with free agency, and why Buddy Nix's strategy of NOT entertaining names and building through the draft is a much more sensible way to build a team. You just don't know what you're getting.

Doubt it. NFLPA is a union and unions never, ever walk away from a situation just because a union member is in the wrong. Hasn't happened since before Walter Reuther. Ain't gonna happen tomorrow, either. I have two nephews who work in the auto industry in Detroit. Their stories about abusive behavior by union members would make you cringe.

I also believe that Shanahan played this situation badly and it will reflect badly on him. It was obvious from the get-go that he didn't want Fat Albert around. Shanahan should have traded Fat Albert a.s.a.p. But instead he went off on this battle of the wills with Fat Albert and this is where he ended up. Personally, I hope this situation blows up in Shanahan's face.

Shanahan and the Skins FO gave Haynesworth permission to find another team that they could trade him to. The deal was simple, find another team by June 1st, or dont take the check on June 1st.

Instead, Haynesworth did neither and took the check from the Skins on June 1st.

He was given plenty of opportunity to find another team, and he couldnt or didnt. Instead he took the Redskins' money.

Have just a little class and integrity to show up for the job that you are being paid for. He has no problem cashing their checks, he should have no problem doing what they ask him. Whether it is DT, NT, LB, Free Safety, WR, or Quarterback. There is no verbiage in his contract about only playing a certain position in a certain scheme.

IMO, none of this reflects poorly on Shanahan. He has done what he has been forced to do by an overpaid, lazy, baby. Fat Albert has proven himself to be a selfish slob, to the point that the other players are openly calling him out about it.

For anyone saying Shanahan botched this, how else would you handle this situation? What would you have done to get him to at least make the slightest effort?

How would Haynesworth do as a DE in our 3-4? I know he is an ass, but so is Shanahan. He could solidify our line and we can devote our offseason stocking up pass rushers and LBers

Pay no attention to the know-it-alls. We aren't a '3-4'. We're a 'whatever we need to be based on down/distance/tendencies/healthy players' defense. Any and every good player available should be considered here as we're gonna change the scheme every play.

This said, I, too don't want this azz anywhere near OBD

You know what, having been in business for myself for a good number of years, if I'm paying someone 100 million dollars and I want him to move over a couple feet in the best interest of the team, he better be sliding over. Or SEE YA!

Yeah but when you already gave him $41 million guaranteed and another company would pay him more than the remainder of what you owe him, he can tell you to piss off he's not moving.

You're right on all counts.

Haynesworth's attitude and Shanahan's arrogance and incompetence lead to this. Takes two to tango.

Watch Shanny exploit it to cover up his team's poor performance.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

You are the only one living in that alternate reality.

Me and Jason Cole ... :w00t:

Shanny’s winning formula: Prevail over players

By Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports

"Congratulations, Mike Shanahan. You turned one of the most talented players in the NFL into the rough equivalent of a sack of jockstraps. That’s sure to make your team a whole lot better."

"Shanahan pulled the perfect time to do it (suspend Shanahan) … if you’re thinking in terms of public relations. On Sunday, Washington got hammered by the Giants. The Redskins played with the intensity of a pack of basset hounds.

And Haynesworth wasn’t even to blame. He didn’t play because he was inactive. However, rather than have people examine the true stench of his team’s effort, Shanahan came up with a great idea that is sure to please the fan base:

Suspend Haynesworth!"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuqfRfJrdTODgOH5lnZ2oHlDubYF?slug=ms-shanahanwins120710

Shanahan and the Skins FO gave Haynesworth permission to find another team that they could trade him to. The deal was simple, find another team by June 1st, or dont take the check on June 1st.

Instead, Haynesworth did neither and took the check from the Skins on June 1st.

He was given plenty of opportunity to find another team, and he couldnt or didnt. Instead he took the Redskins' money.

Have just a little class and integrity to show up for the job that you are being paid for. He has no problem cashing their checks, he should have no problem doing what they ask him. Whether it is DT, NT, LB, Free Safety, WR, or Quarterback. There is no verbiage in his contract about only playing a certain position in a certain scheme.

IMO, none of this reflects poorly on Shanahan. He has done what he has been forced to do by an overpaid, lazy, baby. Fat Albert has proven himself to be a selfish slob, to the point that the other players are openly calling him out about it.

For anyone saying Shanahan botched this, how else would you handle this situation? What would you have done to get him to at least make the slightest effort?

This is a great post. Anyone blaming Shanahan for suspending this guy typifies the glorification of mediocrity that is smothering the Bills franchise.

Haynesworth is an @$$. He can't even compete in the league anymore, overpaid sack of **** is what he turned into. Yeah to Shanahan for making him sit in the corner for the rest of the season. I'm sick of all these players with attitudes. Him and James Harrison on Pittsburgh is just as bad. I'm sick and tired of players who "Play by their Rules" It's time for players like Haynesworth and Harrison to grow up and play like men, abide by NFL conduct or Retire from the NFL. I'm sick of the NFL coddling these type of players by only giving out fines.

This is a great post. Anyone blaming Shanahan for suspending this guy typifies the glorification of mediocrity that is smothering the Bills franchise.

Agreed. Watch out for the Skins in 2011 if there is a season next year.

You're right on all counts.

Haynesworth's attitude and Shanahan's arrogance and incompetence lead to this. Takes two to tango.

Watch Shanny exploit it to cover up his team's poor performance.

Wrong. Shanahan isn't arrogant. He plays by his rules. He's the boss. It's like you going to work. You do what your boss asks or he shows you the door. It's no different. McNabb and Haynesworth, are coddled by the NFL. Shanahan is the reality. He's the boss. He may be old school, but He's in charge. If McNabb and Haynesworth aren't doing what he wants, he'll show him the door. Don't think it's arrogance. It's called MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!!

Edited by mattsox

"Congratulations, Mike Shanahan. You turned one of the most talented players in the NFL into the rough equivalent of a sack of jockstraps. That’s sure to make your team a whole lot better."

"Shanahan pulled the perfect time to do it (suspend Shanahan) … if you’re thinking in terms of public relations. On Sunday, Washington got hammered by the Giants. The Redskins played with the intensity of a pack of basset hounds.

And Haynesworth wasn’t even to blame. He didn’t play because he was inactive. However, rather than have people examine the true stench of his team’s effort, Shanahan came up with a great idea that is sure to please the fan base:

Suspend Haynesworth!"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuqfRfJrdTODgOH5lnZ2oHlDubYF?slug=ms-shanahanwins120710

This was the play i talked about earlier. Im sure u think shanahan coached him to lay on the ground right? What a great first move for an such an "elite" level player. Funny i dont see williams having any trouble transitioning to NT. But yea lets all blame shanahan for the downfall of this elite player, makes perfect sense.<\sarcasm>

Suspend Haynesworth!"

Was he inactive because Shanahan is arrogant, or because Haynesworth showed up drunk to practice? Again, do you really think any coach in the league would have (or should have) put up with this?