The Grass Isn't Greener Over There

whodat

God Bless yea Ralph. You've done so much for our community. I'll take our status quo over Denver and Washington any day. They can have Shanahan, McDaniels or some other flashy upstart or rising star. I'll take our situation of Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey.

Although I might say those franchises are cultivating an interesting sense of humor, I'm glad they're winning the laughing matter contest.

Eric Studsville our former rb coach is now guiding The Broncs. Good luck for him. And a tip of the hat for us.

LOL. You've gotta be kidding me. Denver has just come off of a fantastic of run of good football, for what, about 20 years? And as bad as the Skins are, they've been to the playoffs and have had better teams and more interesting players than the Bills that last ten years.

I mean, come on. A tiny bit of objectivity would be nice.

Who will want to coach there? Bowlen is a mess.

How in the hell is Bowlen a mess because he tried to change Shanahan, who seemed to get mired in mediocrity? So, he whiffed on McDaniels. OK. Big Deal. He also moved on. Now he'll try again. How many teams whiffed once on a coach?

The Bills have whiffed how many times? And Bowlen once. But Bowlen's a mess?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it, the old "disparage and malign" someone else's team trick to deflect attention from your team... or better yet, make you feel so much better. because they are so much worse.

Just a guess, but fans in Denver and Washington probably think your team is a joke... and if they do, you couldn't blame them for that.

I'd take Fitz over McNabb. McNabb is broke down. But I'd take rton over Fitz.

Is there really such a thing as a "hard core" Dolphins fan? All the Dolphin fans I know went underground during that last losing streak

lol good point, i lived in FL for about 21 years, dolphin fans, well let me correct that, florida fans are pretty bad. I remember i was able to get tickets, the day of, playoff tickets for the marlins, a team that did go to the world series TWICE and won... its really funny. Also dolphin fans, i mean 75% of them are bandwagon fans. however, my friend is actually a big time dolphin fans, season tickets, goes to every game, blah blah blah all that stuff. But ya, he hates the bills but told me he would pick whats happening to the bills for his team.

I hope whoever is the new HC for denver trades tebow, and we snag him

I'm in northern VA, so I get a lot of Skins coverage here... and despite recent problems, I think the Skins will pull through because they finally have accomplished football people calling the football shots (Dan Snyder appears to have been shoved back into his owner's box, by all appearances). They're investing in their O-line, and they will probably get out of their McNabb deal within a year or two. Allen & Shanahan inherited the Haynesworth mess and will likely find a way out at year's end.

I think the difference lies in expectations. Because of the noise the Skins make (due to their annoying owner, who is a marketing guy above all else), and because of the players they draw (again due to their annoying owner, who has overspent on veterans for a decade), people expect them to improve. They are definitely a better team than a year ago, though. But, like many here, I think Shanahan is overrated... but he's not a bad football coach either.

One thing I do like out of Snyder -- he has been a Skins fan since birth, and he wants his team to win with all his guts, and his wallet. By all appearances, the same cannot be said of Ralph.

Two final thoughts:

1) Despite the W/L record, I think Nix & Gailey have earned a lot of respect, and I think they can get this thing turned around with a couple good drafts. Despite the losses, they seem to be making some progress in the culture, as weird as that sounds. A few more games like Sunday's loss to the Vikes, however, and they could lose the troops.

2) I absolutely hate being in the Redskins' market.

I spent some time down in that area some time ago. I know it pretty well. I always enjoyed the area.

I have to disagree with you on RW’s desire and commitment to winning. He obviously operates past and present a lot differently than Snyder. Neither has had much success recently. I’m biased but I think RW is a much more likeable guy than Snyder. This is besides the point but I wouldn’t be surprised if he fired Shanahan as soon as the end of this season. Snyder loves headlines as much as he likes winning. He’s ruthless, irrational, impetuous and everything now to win. You may disagree with how I characterize him but I don’t think he represents a winning formula.

I’ve heard stories and since you’re local, you probably know this better than I, where Snyder has actually sued fans on several different occasions for breaking season ticket arrangements and box suites where their individual businesses were struggling or other special family circumstances that led them to having trouble paying their Snyder bills. He seems like a real low down to me.

I like your overall take on the bills but I think Chan is changing the culture here big time.

I know Washington can be a pretty tough market. They're as loyal as us. And you can't pull the wool over their eyes. It's interesting hearing that Shanahan is taking a little heat for this season.

Edited by whodat

Seems like all of the original AFL Foolish Club members are losing it.

PTR

Bolen is far from one of the originals.

I spent some time down in that area some time ago. I know it pretty well. I always enjoyed the area.

I have to disagree with you on RW’s desire and commitment to winning. He obviously operates past and present a lot differently than Snyder. Neither has had much success recently. I’m biased but I think RW is a much more likeable guy than Snyder. This is besides the point but I wouldn’t be surprised if he fired Shanahan as soon as the end of this season. Snyder loves headlines as much as he likes winning. He’s ruthless, irrational, impetuous and everything now to win. You may disagree with how I characterize him but I don’t think he represents a winning formula.

I’ve heard stories and since you’re local, you probably know this better than I, where Snyder has actually sued fans on several different occasions for breaking season ticket arrangements and box suites where their individual businesses were struggling or other special family circumstances that led them to having trouble paying their Snyder bills. He seems like a real low down to me.

I like your overall take on the bills but I think Chan is changing the culture here big time.

I know Washington can be a pretty tough market. They're as loyal as us. And you can't pull the wool over their eyes. It's interesting hearing that Shanahan is taking a little heat for this season.

I agree with the Chan assessment. Not sold on Nix, but then how much do we really know about what he does. It may take a year of two more, but Chan is so unlike Humpty-Dumpty, and the rest that followed him during the past decade, that I finally see some hope, some plan........

Now, if only they can find a way to at least slow down the opponents run game......(which is way I still question how good Kyle Williams really is even though I like the guy a lot).

No but he's (Orton) a free agent and they just gave up big resources last offseason to get Tebow and Quinn.

Kyle signed a one year extension before the season started. So now he has one year left after this season. If he was a FA, I'd be beating the drum to sign him in the off season.

Edited by reddogblitz

God Bless yea Ralph. You've done so much for our community. I'll take our status quo over Denver and Washington any day. They can have Shanahan, McDaniels or some other flashy upstart or rising star. I'll take our situation of Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey.

Although I might say those franchises are cultivating an interesting sense of humor, I'm glad they're winning the laughing matter contest.

Eric Studsville our former rb coach is now guiding The Broncs. Good luck for him. And a tip of the hat for us.

I get it, the old "disparage and malign" someone else's team trick to deflect attention from your team... or better yet, make you feel so much better. because they are so much worse.

Just a guess, but fans in Denver and Washington probably think your team is a joke... and if they do, you couldn't blame them for that.

Doubtful. McDaniels made that team a mess and Shanahan is looking like a disaster.

So this is what it has come to. Arguing which team is more of a joke?

Lets try and grow up people.

How in the hell is Bowlen a mess because he tried to change Shanahan, who seemed to get mired in mediocrity? So, he whiffed on McDaniels. OK. Big Deal. He also moved on. Now he'll try again. How many teams whiffed once on a coach?

The Bills have whiffed how many times? And Bowlen once. But Bowlen's a mess?

He's become a mess. And as a result of his coaching moves, he's set the team back years (sound familiar?). No proven coach will want to step into that situation.

So this is what it has come to. Arguing which team is more of a joke?

Lets try and grow up people.

Glad to see you got the point.

Actually, they just fired McDaniels--midseason, after an abysmal performance of less than 2 seasons. Contrast that with RW's resigning the status quo that was DJ despite 3 crappy seasons.

I'm sure that Tom Modrak is very appreciative of Ralph's more deliberative style.

Doesn't it take a lot of gall for a Bills' fan to be critical of another organization? It's like Al Capone calling someone else a crook. Now I know the meaning of HUTZBAH

Doesn't it take a lot of gall for a Bills' fan to be critical of another organization? It's like Al Capone calling someone else a crook. Now I know the meaning of HUTZBAH

Do you see the irony in your post, John?

Bud Adams. The Hunt family still owns the Chiefs.

yes, a next generation Hunt who uses a 21st century business model. that's the greener grass we should be envious of.

Exactly right birdog.

The Hunts have done a great job in Kansas City. The product has been more consistently good than ours, their regionalization efforts are excellent. The Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame is supposed to be outstanding…it's really the de facto AFL Hall of Fame with lots of old Chargers, Bills, Broncos, OIlers, and old AFL history on display.

The late Lamar Hunt had a nice succession plan in place making sure that his son, Clark could take over the team. Bills fans like myself are very envious of the job they've done there.

On the other hand, Wilson didn't move the team like Bud Adams did to Houston.

This is Shanahan's first season at Washington. He's had just as big of a mess to clean up there as Gailey did here, maybe bigger. Currently, he has a better record in his first year and those wins have come against teams who are better than the Lions and Bengals. I'm not saying he won't turn out to be a disapointment but if we are going to give Gailey time before we decide whether he was the right move or not then it's only fair to give Shanny some time.