Walking Dead

ajzepp

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this. After everything they've been thru these characters don't even have improvised ammo pouches. Or even a large back up melée weapon. Something rudimentary would do. Come on writers.

Writers in RL would prolly drop some major road apples if electricity went out for 12 hours :-p

Edited by Pilsner

I can't believe this. After everything they've been thru these characters don't even have improvised ammo pouches. Or even a large back up melée weapon. Something rudimentary would do. Come on writers.

Writers in RL would prolly drop some major road apples if electricity went out for 12 hours :-p

I don't get the weapon thing ether. Where did all the guns go? All the military guns are gone? Seems one man with a M-60 would rule the world.

I don't get the weapon thing ether. Where did all the guns go? All the military guns are gone? Seems one man with a M-60 would rule the world.

I'm just thinking that common sense and experience would dictate how they prepare. But they prepare like newbs still. You would also think there would be people out there with hand crafted bows and arrows as well. Still an interesting show tho.

I don't mind a slower pace, but yeah, they gotta do something soon...the seed seems to be planted that the rift between Rick and Shane is growing wider, and they both have their advocates...but that seed has been pretty much planted since the begining of the series.

I enjoyed the first part of the show last night too, but then it sunk back into the same crap. Like you guys, I've truly had it with the farm. Darabont would never have allowed this to stagnate as it has. The beginning was great, though...that one zombie shoving his face through the broken windshield as the sharp glass sheared off his skin...that was great! I was hoping Shane and blondie would leave the farm like they were planning to do a few episodes back. At least get SOMEONE back out into the mix exploring again. I'm so sick of them just taking turns getting booboos and having Herschel fix them up. They need to just have like 800 zombies come out of the woods and overtake the farm, and then have it burst into flames and all the main characters flee in their vehicles. I don't care how they do it, just GET THE HELL OFF THE FARM!!!

I agree that the show does not take into consideration basic survival instinct like gathering weapons, ammo and necessities. We saw the characters do that to some degree last night, but in the first season, they had their pick of ammo and heavier weapons in the field trip to the CDC.

At this point, it would appear you've got more time to relax post apocalypse than you do pre-apocalypse. I've gotten more accomplished on a vacation day. For a show like this to continue to work, there needs to be a constant sense of urgency and there isn't any.

You make a good point. Nobody seems to be working on anything. Considering they're on a farm there doesn't seem to be any agriculture going on.

The good news for everyone sick of the farm is that I think the farm will soon be left behind.

You make a good point. Nobody seems to be working on anything. Considering they're on a farm there doesn't seem to be any agriculture going on.

The good news for everyone sick of the farm is that I think the farm will soon be left behind.

When you think about shows "similar" to the Walking Dead, say the Mad Max movies, Jericho or Battlestar Galacitca, there was a constant push to go somewhere with a fair amount of conspiracy and intrigue to provide depth to the plot. Even Mac Max was always going "somewhere" to do "something".

Even one of the more brilliant premises but lousy execution when it came to apocalypse movies, 1977's Damnation Alley, had a goal: Get to Albany, NY. That was the premise of the cross-country journey.

The writers seem to be really playing up the Rick/Shane battle and it's just not that interesting while at the same time, setting up the farm up to be this impregnable fort.

Okay, I get that folks are disappointed by the lack of action, but I think some are over-analyzing. You have to keep in mind two things:

1- They have been on the farm for a "few weeks", not the 5 months it seems like to us viewers.

2- They really don't know where to go. So, why not find a farm that is relatively un-scathed (compared to anywhere else they have been, with a source for food, and try to set up fort? They may not show them farming enough to establish it, but there have been scenes that start with a shot of Herschel's daughters doing farm stuff... I think it makes complete sense. Not to mention, they have the closest thing to a doctor as they can hope to find. Wouldn't you feel more secure knowing where you are, and trying to defend it, rather than roming, not knowing what to expect at each turn?

I guess what I like about this show is that it is not like all those other shows. It takes a very unbelievable situation, and makes it somewhat believable. I am not saying I don't wish there was more action, and a little less conversation at times, but take it for what it is, and it has been pretty good. Of course, I would normally have zero interest in a zombie themed show...I only gave this a chance because it was on AMC.

Edited by Buftex

Okay, I get that folks are disappointed by the lack of action, but I think some are over-analyzing. You have to keep in mind two things:

1- They have been on the farm for a "few weeks", not the 5 months it seems like to us viewers.

2- They really don't know where to go. So, why not find a farm that is relatively un-scathed (compared to anywhere else they have been, with a source for food, and try to set up fort? They may not show them farming enough to establish it, but there have been scenes that start with a shot of Herschel's daughters doing farm stuff... I think it makes complete sense. Not to mention, they have the closest thing to a doctor as they can hope to find. Wouldn't you feel more secure knowing where you are, and trying to defend it, rather than roming, not knowing what to expect at each turn?

I guess what I like about this show is that it is not like all those other shows. It takes a very unbelievable situation, and makes it somewhat believable. I am not saying I don't wish there was more action, and a little less conversation at times, but take it for what it is, and it has been pretty good. Of course, I would normally have zero interest in a zombie themed show...I only gave this a chance because it was on AMC.

Good points. That's why I'm in favor of some sort of event where they don't have any choice whether to remain on the farm. Part of what was fun for me with regard to this show in the first season was that "where the hell do I go NOW?" aspect. I liked it better when they didn't have any sort of safe haven where they could be comfortable. The show is more fun - at least to me - where you are on edge for the entire hour because you literally just have no idea wtf is going to happen next. I really just want to see some epic zombie seen where hundreds and hundreds of them converge on the farmhouse, all hell breaks loose, and the main characters (all, most, some, whatever) escape by the skin of their teeth. I think that would be a great way to get that edge back to the show.

By the way, Michonne will appear this year, in episode 13, the season finale. No word on what actress will be portraying her. Arguably, she's one of the comic's best characters.

Three "main characters" will die by season's end as some new and previous characters reappear.

If you recall in the first show of Days Gone Bye, Rick spotted a helicopter above Atlanta. That plot detail hasn't been discussed since.

In a later episode, first part of 2nd season, they showed that the helicoptors were dropping Napalm on Atlanta... it was the short segment, right before the opening credits. It was a flashback, with Laurie and Shane watching, shocked by what they were seeing...it was, honeslty, one of the best scenes of the whole second season so far.

Problem is, the farm is too nice, too early in the story. The farm is a nice place for the finale....but it's now been used early on in the story. Now there's no goal, with no immediate threat. They have power, plenty of food, washed clothes, beds, and safety.

I guess we have to see what happens at the farm...I haven't read the comic books (I have no interest)but I bet they will not be on the farm forever...why they leave could be the season finale.

By the way, Michonne will appear this year, in episode 13, the season finale. No word on what actress will be portraying her. Arguably, she's one of the comic's best characters.

Three "main characters" will die by season's end as some new and previous characters reappear.

Do you know this for a fact, or are you assuming this, because of the comic books?

Edited by Buftex

Confirmed on the new character and character deaths. There are four episodes remaining, with the season finale on March 18.

AMC released a picture from the next episode that reveals that the farm will indeed become compromised in some fashion before the end of the season. In fact, the discovery of Randall, the kid who had the unfortunate run-in with the fence, is a major plot easter egg.

AMC also released a picture of Carl pointing an M9 at someone, which closely resembles a major plot point in the book.

Edited by dpberr

Confirmed on the new character and character deaths. There are four episodes remaining, with the season finale on March 18.

AMC released a picture from the next episode that reveals that the farm will indeed become compromised in some fashion before the end of the season. In fact, the discovery of Randall, the kid who had the unfortunate run-in with the fence, is a major plot easter egg.

AMC also released a picture of Carl pointing an M9 at someone, which closely resembles a major plot point in the book.

Are you allergic to spoiler tags?

Again, they are only spoilers if you are living under the rocks with the Geico guys.

All of this information is on AMC's Walking Dead homepage, tvline or deadline.com or especially, the promos that run at the end of each show. Robert Kirkman is interviewed by nearly everybody from the LA Times to Entertainment Weekly. The show regularly gives out information.

AMC's screencaps or the photos I talk about are from the promos that ran in advance of the February 12th mid season premiere or right after last week's show. Like right after.

And I'd agree with the good Dr. in that the books are far superior to the television show. I've read nearly the entire series myself.

There's no novel discoveries here, only discussion of information widely released.

Why? They're actually really good. Better than the TV series.

I don't mean this to sound like a prick, or like a snob, but I haven't read comic books since I was about 12 (30+ years ago) and I just don't have an interest in them. Like I said, not trying to be a snob...hell, I still collect sports cards!

I have a lot of friends who are hard-core comic book fanatics, I just can't get into them. I love comic books for their nostalgia, but I just can't get into a comic book story, in that forum. I have tried. I think, sometimes, I am just too jaded and lacking in imagination to enjoy things like that anymore. I can't stand most movies that are based on comic books. "The Walking Dead" tv series is normally something I would have zero interest in, but I don't approach it like a "horror story". I just think of it as a good action show, or a good sci-fi show.

I may not be explaining myself well...but, take something like "True Blood". When it started, I thought it would be a pretty cool show (awesome opening credits) because it was taking a very unrealistic situation, but presenting it in a context where it seemed somewhat realistic...which is what I like about "The Walking Dead".

But, "True Blood" quicly morphed into being very silly, campy, and ridiculous...so I lost interest. I suspect, the minute "The Walking Dead" starts to become all about the zombies, and cool ways to kill them, I will lose interest in it, as well. But, even as slow as it is for some tastes, I think the show has been pretty good. I realize many fans of the comic book hold your opinion, that the show pales in comparison to the books, but I think the reasons in pales for many, are the reasons I like it. Does that make any sense?

Interestingly enough though, I really like the new "Comic Book Men" show that comes on after "The Walking Dead", on AMC. Anyone else watch this? I can imagine some people will be offended by it, because it kind of perpetuates the whole "comic nerd" stereotype, but I really enjoy the portions where people bring stuff in, for the store to purchase. I love the history of things like this. It is very much like "Pawn Stars" for the comic book crowd ("Pawn Stars" is an occaisional guilty pleasure of mine as well) I got a kick out of the Green Lantern book that somebody presented to them, with the guy shooting up on the cover...anyway, just curious if others watched, or enjoyed (not in that order!).

Edited by Buftex

I don't mean this to sound like a prick, or like a snob, but I haven't read comic books since I was about 12 (30+ years ago) and I just don't have an interest in them. Like I said, not trying to be a snob...hell, I still collect sports cards!

A lot of people have a bias against comic books based on what they remember comic books being when they were kids. I knew a guy with the same attitude as you about comic books, he is a psychiatrist, so he really looked down his nose at comic books as being something well beneath his intellect. After much convincing I got him to agree to read Watchmen and the first trade in the Sandman series. When he returned the books to me he apologized and said he had no idea how deep and artistic comic books could be. He said for years he looked down on me for reading comics, but didn't realize that stuff like that was being made. He is not a regular comics reader by any stretch of the imagination, but will from time to time take a suggestion of mine and sit down with it.

So anyway, if you ever decide to change your mind http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Vol-Days-Gone/dp/1582406723/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1330017527&sr=8-12 . It's only 10 bucks. I think it's worth the risk that you might like it.

A lot of people have a bias against comic books based on what they remember comic books being when they were kids. I knew a guy with the same attitude as you about comic books, he is a psychiatrist, so he really looked down his nose at comic books as being something well beneath his intellect. After much convincing I got him to agree to read Watchmen and the first trade in the Sandman series. When he returned the books to me he apologized and said he had no idea how deep and artistic comic books could be. He said for years he looked down on me for reading comics, but didn't realize that stuff like that was being made. He is not a regular comics reader by any stretch of the imagination, but will from time to time take a suggestion of mine and sit down with it.

So anyway, if you ever decide to change your mind http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Vol-Days-Gone/dp/1582406723/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1330017527&sr=8-12 . It's only 10 bucks. I think it's worth the risk that you might like it.

Good post. I liked comics in jr high/high school but got out of it when I went to college and hadn't picked one up in years. The local library carries comics, err, I mean graphic novels ;) and when The Watchmen movie was made I had heard the comic was great so I checked it out. Thought it was awesome and it led me to checking out other titles. Became a fan of The Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man. Constantine. Stephen King's 'The Stand' just finished its comic run and was very well done. With the job, wife, and 2.5 kids it's hard to make time to read (though I try) so a comic is nice in that I can get an interesting story read in about 15 mins give or take. Maybe you should start a comics thread if you have some tips on other titles. I'll have to check out the Sandman.

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

Again, they are only spoilers if you are living under the rocks with the Geico guys.

All of this information is on AMC's Walking Dead homepage, tvline or deadline.com or especially, the promos that run at the end of each show. Robert Kirkman is interviewed by nearly everybody from the LA Times to Entertainment Weekly. The show regularly gives out information.

AMC's screencaps or the photos I talk about are from the promos that ran in advance of the February 12th mid season premiere or right after last week's show. Like right after.

And I'd agree with the good Dr. in that the books are far superior to the television show. I've read nearly the entire series myself.

There's no novel discoveries here, only discussion of information widely released.

It doesn't matter where you got the info from. I have no interest in knowing that you've "confirmed" that four main characters will die by the end of the season. Spoiler tags are very simple to do, so just use them.

What should be spoiler tagged? Any information that you aren't personally aware of? How am I supposed to know what that's going to be? Why do I have to police your spoiler settings? Just don't read my posts. Keep scrolling. I'm not going to talk about a show and wonder "well, aj may have not seen the first 4 minutes of the show last night, or did he? Or maybe he won't watch the show until next Tuesday? Perhaps I'll just wait until next Wednesday to talk about the show."

Lets get something straight, I'm not trying to ruin your watching or posting experience.

If you only watch the 41 minutes of show, no promos, no webisodes (which are outstanding), didn't read the books, read no magazines (EW covers the show so much nearly ever issue's got something), no online content and avoid AMC with the exception of Sunday night, well that's nearly everything I've ever discussed on here. Some people in this thread have read the books and know more about the show and want to talk about it. The show gets a ton of media exposure.

A spoiler to me is inside knowledge not publicly released. A spoiler isn't discussing source material, either, in this case, the books. I haven't seen the shows ahead of time nor do I work on the set. For example, 24 had a fan site when the show was on, and had somebody who worked on set releasing information about the shows that not yet aired like which character does what, who gets killed, what happens in step by step fashion. It wasn't publicly released information.

If you want real spoilers, that would be telling you what Jenner said to RIck. Or who specifically dies. Or where they go in Season 3. Or how 18 miles ends. That information has not been publicly released, but it's been spoiled by crew and is out there on message boards, etc. I haven't discussed any of that.

I'm just thinking that common sense and experience would dictate how they prepare. But they prepare like newbs still. You would also think there would be people out there with hand crafted bows and arrows as well. Still an interesting show tho.

Daryl was making new arrows when Carol came to find him.

how many people live in the USA? equals how many rounds of ammo equals how many tons to carry around?

I love the show, but I have trouble believing the US armed services would fail to hold back a zombie horde.

What should be spoiler tagged? Any information that you aren't personally aware of? How am I supposed to know what that's going to be? Why do I have to police your spoiler settings? Just don't read my posts. Keep scrolling. I'm not going to talk about a show and wonder "well, aj may have not seen the first 4 minutes of the show last night, or did he? Or maybe he won't watch the show until next Tuesday? Perhaps I'll just wait until next Wednesday to talk about the show."

Lets get something straight, I'm not trying to ruin your watching or posting experience.

If you only watch the 41 minutes of show, no promos, no webisodes (which are outstanding), didn't read the books, read no magazines (EW covers the show so much nearly ever issue's got something), no online content and avoid AMC with the exception of Sunday night, well that's nearly everything I've ever discussed on here. Some people in this thread have read the books and know more about the show and want to talk about it. The show gets a ton of media exposure.

A spoiler to me is inside knowledge not publicly released. A spoiler isn't discussing source material, either, in this case, the books. I haven't seen the shows ahead of time nor do I work on the set. For example, 24 had a fan site when the show was on, and had somebody who worked on set releasing information about the shows that not yet aired like which character does what, who gets killed, what happens in step by step fashion. It wasn't publicly released information.

If you want real spoilers, that would be telling you what Jenner said to RIck. Or who specifically dies. Or where they go in Season 3. Or how 18 miles ends. That information has not been publicly released, but it's been spoiled by crew and is out there on message boards, etc. I haven't discussed any of that.

I don't know if you're new to the internet or what, but spoilers aren't just "inside information". When you say you've CONFIRMED something that is going to happen in the next few weeks, but has yet to happen, then that is a spoiler. And clearly it's not just me that feels that way, cause like four people have called you out on the issue, some have even done that twice. If you want to speculate, then great...go right ahead. If you want to talk about stuff that's already happened on the show, then great. But don't tell me a major plot point/twist/event that you KNOW is going to happen on a future episode that hasn't aired yet. It's not that hard to figure out.

It's a spoiler if a crew member has "leaked" it. Just because you found it on the internet doesn't mean it is public knowledge. Not everyone is out there reading every message board.

I do find it interesting how some people don't seem to catch details in the previews, and consider them to be spoilers.

i love this show. however i have only seen the last 2 episodes.

3 answers please.

after a bite, how long to turn into zombie?

the girl in bed, will she turn into a zombie?

the whole world is like this? or just usa?

thanks yall

(1) Based on Season 1 finale "TS-19" with Dr. Jenner, the "resurrection" can take anywhere from 3 minutes to 8 hours.

(2) It's pretty well implied that she was scratched by her zombie mom and she's running a horrible fever, so yeah (?).

(3) Again, Dr. Jenner stated that it's the whole world. The French were rumored to be working on a cure/vaccine.

I haven't read the comics, but the show has departed quite a bit according to what I've read online. You'll want to do what you can to go back and watch the show from the beginning. The 90 minute premiere was probably the best episode.

That's the thing brother, the big stuff I talked about is in the promos right after the show and running on AMC in nearly every ad. I primarily watch the show. I'll go on AMC's site occasionally. I'm not mining Walking Dead data to ruin your day.

If you consider a spoiler simply something you didn't catch, which frankly it is, that's a mighty generous definition you've got.

Really no point in turning this into McLaughlin Hour. We can agree to disagree and get back to discussing the fine show. I'll be careful.

Okay, why don't you post the promo or the AMC link that states that it's confirmed that four people will die before the season finale.

It would have taken far less time to simply put spoiler tags around whatever information you had to share about future episodes.

(1) Based on Season 1 finale "TS-19" with Dr. Jenner, the "resurrection" can take anywhere from 3 minutes to 8 hours.

(2) It's pretty well implied that she was scratched by her zombie mom and she's running a horrible fever, so yeah (?).

(3) Again, Dr. Jenner stated that it's the whole world. The French were rumored to be working on a cure/vaccine.

I haven't read the comics, but the show has departed quite a bit according to what I've read online. You'll want to do what you can to go back and watch the show from the beginning. The 90 minute premiere was probably the best episode.

Thank u very much!!!!

Totally agree. I was hooked within the first 20 min of the first episode.

I'm sure you don't consider this a spoiler, but it is. I've watched the show from the beginning, and some of the post show discussions and previews ...... never heard mention that 3 main characters will die by season's end. I am sorry, but since you don't seem to get it, I'm gonna have to ignore you ........ no big deal