Need Advice on Putting a Pet Down

truth on hold

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've really appreciated the sentiments and advice.

I'm looking to have Vladimir put down early next week ... still working on the where and how. Today was another bad one for him as he exhibited very little appetite and energy, and threw up his evening medication. Not much of a life for anyone.

Where I come out on the "in the room at the time" discussion is leaning towards in the room, placing his needs for a friend above my hesitation at witnessing it.

I think one reason we can get so emotional at a time like this (especially with an animal we've had a long time), are remembering all the things you shared with them, and how they always seemed there for you. In Vlad's case, he was a Valentine's gift in 1994 to my girlfriend at the time. After a difficult break up where we were nearly engaged, I demanded to have him back as I had grown too attached him (I told her she can keep all the jewerly, I have no use for used stuff, just give me my cat back! ... lol.) Subsequently he was there with me for the death of both of my parents (father 1996, mother 2006.) Starting another relationship and getting married (2002), and having children (2006 and 2009). I remember one particular instance when my father died, Vlad (who had always been too proud to sit on anyone's lap) came and placed himself on my chest as I lie on the sofa trying to make sense of it all. That was extremely rare for him, and I have to think he sensed my situation and tried to provide some comfort.

For those interested, I put a picture of him in my profile. He sure has been one great cat, and loads of fun along the way with his playfulness and quirkiness.

LOL - that is a great picture of Vlad!!.........I think I had it easier than you. My decision was made for me today. My cat hasn't eaten since Saturday night, and was not responding to any treatment. I listen to Tony Kornheiser every day, and he talked about his dog all the time. He said the vet had told them they would know when it was time. Sure enough, Maggie broke her hip and was in too much pain, so they knew it was time (a few months ago)

Whenever you decide it's time, you've already made a great decision about being in the room. You'll feel the depth of your life and your love.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After several trips to the vet and a few days when I was administering fluids myself with an IV, we finally agreed our cat's time had come. My wife had to leave the room. but "Tigger" was put down peacefully in my arms. He was a fantastic family cat, and it was hardest on the wife and kids, Do it in a way that is best for you. There is no universal correct answer. No one else can decide that for you.

Take care, Joe

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've really appreciated the sentiments and advice.

I'm looking to have Vladimir put down early next week ... still working on the where and how. Today was another bad one for him as he exhibited very little appetite and energy, and threw up his evening medication. Not much of a life for anyone.

Where I come out on the "in the room at the time" discussion is leaning towards in the room, placing his needs for a friend above my hesitation at witnessing it.

I think one reason we can get so emotional at a time like this (especially with an animal we've had a long time), are remembering all the things you shared with them, and how they always seemed there for you. In Vlad's case, he was a Valentine's gift in 1994 to my girlfriend at the time. After a difficult break up where we were nearly engaged, I demanded to have him back as I had grown too attached him (I told her she can keep all the jewerly, I have no use for used stuff, just give me my cat back! ... lol.) Subsequently he was there with me for the death of both of my parents (father 1996, mother 2006.) Starting another relationship and getting married (2002), and having children (2006 and 2009). I remember one particular instance when my father died, Vlad (who had always been too proud to sit on anyone's lap) came and placed himself on my chest as I lie on the sofa trying to make sense of it all. That was extremely rare for him, and I have to think he sensed my situation and tried to provide some comfort.

For those interested, I put a picture of him in my profile. He sure has been one great cat, and loads of fun along the way with his playfulness and quirkiness.

I did two things. One, was to have an impression of Tex's paw made in plaster. Two, was have her cremated. For my wife and myself I had a special picture of her and the paw print put together in a frame. Her remains are in a ceramic jar that we found together at Artfest this year that reminded us of her. The two sit proudly in our living room.

** Attached is a picture of Texana. She is sitting in the back of my VUE. I was cleaning the snow from the driveway. It was a$$ biting cold out, but the sun was brillant. I did not want her laying in the cold snow so I put her in the back of the truck with the gate open. She could have stay there all day looking at everything going on in her domain. **

post-1995-004389500 1291383159_thumb.jpg

Edited by BuffaloBud

Obligatory. Too much footage of hipster, not enough of dog, but you get the point.

youtube.com/watch?v=EOAcRKZxjy4

bah, cant watch. almost posted that yesterday but didnt know if the folks in this thread could handle it.

it's quite the tear-jerker, but it is truly a beautiful short film.

won a bunch of awards too.

good luck to whoever watches it. it's a tough one to get through, but worth it.

bah, cant watch. almost posted that yesterday but didnt know if the folks in this thread could handle it.

Can't bring myself to watch it :cry:

Same as all the rest said. I had 3 cats and a dog they all lived long lives one 17, one 18, one19 and the dog 19. It was a hard couple /few years as they kind of went in a 3 year bunch.

My Mom died two weeks before the dog and I couldn't be there for her.

My dog and he had a stroke or something, he was in bad shape, I don't cry much but man, I did a lot at the vet, that day. She asked me if I wanted to go in the back away from the window (it was in NYC) and I said no I don't care.....

One thing I have to tell you about the cat w/ kidney problems. I had one who always had infections and when he was 17 the doc told me he had cancer, he suggested it might be best to put him down. He gave him about 3 weeks or so, said when he gets worse it would be better. I kept him going the rest of his time and he died at home. He was really bad the day he died and I was getting ready to take him in. It was harder watching him go that way, knowing he was suffering. I wish I would have done it before I did.

One thing though, I did bury him in what constituted a back yard behind my loft in Chinatown. I felt he would be happier there.

It is never easy, I feel for you.

What did you all do with your pet's body?

I hadn't even thought about it when they asked me yesterday what I wanted to do with the remains. I asked what most people do and they said burial, so I did that. I'm not sure what I would have done with her ashes if I had her cremated, and maybe one day I'll wish I did that. The cost difference wasn't much, so think about it before you go in.

Can't bring myself to watch it :cry:

I know what you guys mean. I've only watched it once, but that's all I needed. :cry:

Always a tough decision.

Earlier this year one of our cats (we had two), began to get really thin. She (Dusty) was always a big eater, and as a result a large cat (she weighed 18 pounds at one point). She had many funny names, lunch box was a favorite, cruiser (she was black and white), and hand whore (she couldn't resist having her ears and head scratched). She lost about 5 pounds in one week while we were away, (I still feel bad about this). I took her to the Vet the day we got home, and they discovered that she had an extremely enlarged thyroid, and a severly infected tooth. We made arrangements to have the tooth removed, and got her on meds for the thyroid. She got better, and then tood a turn for the worst. Probably 3 good days, and then she got really sick.

I took her back to the vet, and it was obvious to me what I had to do. I sat there with her when they did it, and rubbed her ears and head the way she always liked it. Really sad moment, but she was suffering so bad, that additional treatment would have done nothing but extend her suffering.

I was able to take her home with me afterwards, and I buried her in my back yard under a big rock. So now she will always be with us.

Hardest part was telling/explaining what happened to my 3 year old son. Now, when he is out back playing and he walks by the rock he waves and says "Hi Dusty"

Do whatever you feel is right, and I would definately recommend being there if you decide that it is time to do it.

Best of luck! And, very sorry that you have to make this decision.:(

we buried our dog in the back yard, and that was a bit tough in and of itself and the whole event was almost 'funny'. We knew we were going to take her to be put down on sunday, so i figured I would get the hole dug the day before so it was ready on sunday...well up to this point Lucky was really lethargic and seemed uncomfortable. Well i go out and start digging...I look up and there is Lucky sitting there watching me....tail wagging...man did that hit me hard.....

...fast forward to the next day...we were forced to go to one of the banfield vet clinics inside a pet smart store, because out vet couldnt fit us in :thumbdown: , so we go as a family, i went in the room with her and the deed was done....

....all of a sudden i find out, there is no back door....i have to go out the same way we came in....HOLY CRAP what an odd feeling....they put Lucky's body in a bag and we had some blankets, so we loaded the 'cargo' into a shopping cart, and I made everyone else leave ahead of me so customers didn't see a crying family pushing a shopping cart out....I composed myself and casually left the store....although I knew no one had any idea what was in my cart....i felt as if it was soooooo freaking obvious what it was.....i made it out of the store, we pulled the car around the corner of the building and put the body in and drove off....

what a very surreal ordeal it was............

Buried in the back yard. My parents back acres is a literal pet cemetary with all the animals we had growing up.

I've decided to have Vladimir put to sleep tomorrow. This a.m. found him sitting in the bathtub getting soaked (I leave the water running a little as he likes to drink that way.) He was in an odd position, what in yoga they call "scared cat" I think. When I picked him up he stayed in the position and started peeing on the floor while I was carrying him. He's just too far gone now. Too often disoriented and in pain.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I've decided to have Vladimir put to sleep tomorrow. This a.m. found him sitting in the bathtub getting soaked (I leave the water running a little as he likes to drink that way.) He was in an odd position, what in yoga they call "scared cat" I think. When I picked him up he stayed in the position and started peeing on the floor while I was carrying him. He's just too far gone now. Too often disoriented and in pain.

poor lil guy. best wishes to you (and any family).

They say that you'll know when and I think you do......I feel bad for poor little Vlad. But, his suffering will be over......When I took my cat in last week for this, she was all wet from the bathtub, too! I think with the kidney failure, they are really trying to drink as much water as possible.

Please post how it goes.

Oh man, this thread is really hard to read. My heart goes out to you and Vlad. As well as to you and your cat bbb. I had to put my dog down three years ago this month. He was the nicest doberman you would ever find. It was the hardest thing I had to do.

God I still miss him.

Good luck Joe.