Magic Johnson on Kimmel - NFL back to LA

I can't watch the clip because my smartphone wldoesnt have the most recent updates, but I can imagine what was said and the speculations of him and other investor buying and moving an NFL team to LA. What gets me is that Ralph is not dead, and he has stated many, many times that he will NOT sell the team while he is here. So I wouldn't worry about it.

The other thing I think is funny is that people give enough respect to MJ to think he and others can buy an NFL team but nobody thinks Kelly is serious and there could be no way he would be able to afford it. I'm sure MJ has more cake, but Kelly has some serious cash too. And has stated he has more investors to ensure the team stays in Buffalo.

Not that this topic is anything new...but from last night's Kimmel show.

http://www.blackvoices.com/daily-drama/magic-nfl-owner-jimmy-kimmel/693700059001

Please let it be the Jags

Read this

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/30/report-anschutz-poised-to-by-35-percent-of-chargers/

Interesting that Magic mentions AEG as well, but not Anshultz, but must be same group. Seems pretty likely Chargers are going to LA based on this, and also interesting a guy in Toronto had it first.

Now we have to worry about San Diego being open and fighting for a new team :doh:

I don't think Kelly has as much money as Magic and MJ do. So he has to do more begging. I also think the Chargers are the likely target. People forget that franchise started in L.A. and moved to SD. And real Charger fans can make the 2 hour drive and still follow their team.

Then there is always Al Davis and the Raiders.

PTR

I don't think Kelly has as much money as Magic and MJ do. So he has to do more begging. I also think the Chargers are the likely target. People forget that franchise started in L.A. and moved to SD. And real Charger fans can make the 2 hour drive and still follow their team.

Then there is always Al Davis and the Raiders.

PTR

Can't that same argument be made for real Bills fans driving to Toronto? We all know that real fans don't want to drive 2 hours to another city to support their team.

I can't watch the clip because my smartphone wldoesnt have the most recent updates, but I can imagine what was said and the speculations of him and other investor buying and moving an NFL team to LA. What gets me is that Ralph is not dead, and he has stated many, many times that he will NOT sell the team while he is here. So I wouldn't worry about it.

The other thing I think is funny is that people give enough respect to MJ to think he and others can buy an NFL team but nobody thinks Kelly is serious and there could be no way he would be able to afford it. I'm sure MJ has more cake, but Kelly has some serious cash too. And has stated he has more investors to ensure the team stays in Buffalo.

The news that this billionare from PA may be buying the Sabres kind of came out of the blue, I know he was not on my radar. So with respect to Kelly, I am much more hopefull that he really does have some investors lined up to help purchase the team...

Can't that same argument be made for real Bills fans driving to Toronto? We all know that real fans don't want to drive 2 hours to another city to support their team.

All I'm saying is that the Chargers will be there for any SD fans who want to make the drive. It's not like moving the Chargers to Las Vegas or San Antonio. As for your Bills-in-Toronto reference the complicating factor is the US/Canada border. If Toronto were a US city and the Bills played there, I think a number of people would drive the 90 minutes.

Speaking for myself, if the Bills did move to Toronto, I would probably keep my seasons assuming I would have that option and could afford them. But that's me. I know others would rather rail about the injustice and all that stuff.

PTR

Bout a week or 2 ago on Channel 4 NBC, out here in Los Angeles, they did a segment on the NFL coming here. Talked to both prospective stadium builders. First guy was from AEG, the people who built the Staple center. He talked about how their plan for a stadium would be to put the stadium directly downtown, next to the Staple center, ripping out the old part of the convention center. Seemed like a really nice idea and completely feasible. The next guy, sorry can't remember his name, was the billionaire who wants to build a stadium 45 mins from LA out in a place called city of industry. He owns the land and did the interview on where he would plan to build the stadium. Guy seemed like a complete jerk btw. Then they interviewed a guy from the NFL who said they weren't looking to expand any teams, so there was no way LA could get an expansion team. Then they talked to the two builders about acquiring teams. The billionaire guy basically stated that he was gonna strong arm some teams to come out here by throwing money at them or buying them out and listed 6 teams he thought he could do this with, buffalo being one of them. Then they interviewed the AEG guy, who basically said he didn't want to take away a team from a strong fan base, he is from cleveland originally, and was there and witnessed both what happened in baltimore when they lost the colts and in cleveland when they lost the browns. Said he has absolutely no interest in doing that and would rather get a team and owner that wants to come out to LA and they wouldn't have to lure them out here. They seem to be targeting San Diego or San Francisco because of those cities not wanting to build them new stadiums and also keeping it a California based team. Billionaire guy is ahead of the AEG in terms of stadium development b/c he has gotten approval from the various agencies like EPA, city, etc.

At the end of the segment, they ended up saying that both of these plans are completely on hold because no one wants to go forward with anything when the new CBA hasn't been figured out. Still it was a pretty interesting piece. I like the AEG proposal better and their plan better.

Bout a week or 2 ago on Channel 4 NBC, out here in Los Angeles, they did a segment on the NFL coming here. Talked to both prospective stadium builders. First guy was from AEG, the people who built the Staple center. He talked about how their plan for a stadium would be to put the stadium directly downtown, next to the Staple center, ripping out the old part of the convention center. Seemed like a really nice idea and completely feasible. The next guy, sorry can't remember his name, was the billionaire who wants to build a stadium 45 mins from LA out in a place called city of industry. He owns the land and did the interview on where he would plan to build the stadium. Guy seemed like a complete jerk btw. Then they interviewed a guy from the NFL who said they weren't looking to expand any teams, so there was no way LA could get an expansion team. Then they talked to the two builders about acquiring teams. The billionaire guy basically stated that he was gonna strong arm some teams to come out here by throwing money at them or buying them out and listed 6 teams he thought he could do this with, buffalo being one of them. Then they interviewed the AEG guy, who basically said he didn't want to take away a team from a strong fan base, he is from cleveland originally, and was there and witnessed both what happened in baltimore when they lost the colts and in cleveland when they lost the browns. Said he has absolutely no interest in doing that and would rather get a team and owner that wants to come out to LA and they wouldn't have to lure them out here. They seem to be targeting San Diego or San Francisco because of those cities not wanting to build them new stadiums and also keeping it a California based team. Billionaire guy is ahead of the AEG in terms of stadium development b/c he has gotten approval from the various agencies like EPA, city, etc.

At the end of the segment, they ended up saying that both of these plans are completely on hold because no one wants to go forward with anything when the new CBA hasn't been figured out. Still it was a pretty interesting piece. I like the AEG proposal better and their plan better.

Where were these guys a couple of years ago when the NFL was begging for someone in L.A. to take an expansion franchise from them? How much interest is there in L.A. when the NFL was offering them a new team on a platter and no one stepped up? That's how Houston got the Texans by the way. That team was supposed to be in L.A.

PTR

All I'm saying is that the Chargers will be there for any SD fans who want to make the drive. It's not like moving the Chargers to Las Vegas or San Antonio. As for your Bills-in-Toronto reference the complicating factor is the US/Canada border. If Toronto were a US city and the Bills played there, I think a number of people would drive the 90 minutes.

Speaking for myself, if the Bills did move to Toronto, I would probably keep my seasons assuming I would have that option and could afford them. But that's me. I know others would rather rail about the injustice and all that stuff.

PTR

Come on, it's Canada. You zip in, you pick up a game, you zip right out again. You're not going to Moscow. It's Canada. It's like going into Wisconsin.

Come on, it's Canada. You zip in, you pick up a game, you zip right out again. You're not going to Moscow. It's Canada. It's like going into Wisconsin.

It used to be like crossing a state line but not anymore. You have to carry a passport and get grilled by the border guards when you get back. When I came home I used to make a quick trip to Maxine's for the ballet. Now you have to explain yourself why you crossed an international border to see naked women. Thanks, Osama bin Laden. Prick.

PTR

LA is not a NFL town, the raiders,rams could not do it. Why would they think it would happen now.LA is a college football and NBA city.LA is for winning teams if your team sucks nobody will show up for the games.the lakers sell out every game and the ave tix price is about$250.the clippers play in the same place and nobody goes to the games.the clippers work out and practice at the spectrum club.it's like the bac in buffalo you can run on a treadmill next to a bunch of 7 footers next to you.

You don't need a passport to go into Wisconsin.

Where were these guys a couple of years ago when the NFL was begging for someone in L.A. to take an expansion franchise from them? How much interest is there in L.A. when the NFL was offering them a new team on a platter and no one stepped up? That's how Houston got the Texans by the way. That team was supposed to be in L.A.

PTR

Thats a good question. It could have something to do with the people that own the Coliseum, who are completely against it, because they would want an NFL team there. Just recently they signed USC to play in the Coliseum for like 8 years or something, so maybe since they have a team locked in there they have given up fighting a new stadium being built. Also the former mayor and tax payers didn't want a new stadium being built for a NFL team and would have wanted them to play in the Coliseum. Which NFL team would want to leave a city for a crappy stadium, that wasn't even designed for football? None I would suspect. Basically the same thing that happened with the Lakers and finally moving to the Staple Center. With a new mayor that likes to spend money and add to that this rebirth of Downtown LA, they've added lots of venues like Staple Center, Nokia center, and I'd say thats where all this interest is finally coming from.