Lets talk bourbon

RkFast

Ok the first few sips of bourbon from a crushed ice packed snifter are down the hatch. Very cold and very good. For kicks I've also tried a few sips neat (room temp)in a different glass (My wife is about to hit the speed diall for AA :lol: ). I actually like the neat one better. In addition to more nose it has a ton more flavor (which is mostly smell anyway). The big drawback is that it has more "burn" as it slides down. It would be hard to do more than one or two of them.

I'll have to try this again with another brand.

Repeated trials are the way to go. :thumbsup:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, did everyone dip into their stashes last night?

Had just a bit of that Pappy's neat while cruising the 'tube. (good bourbon and victoria's secret models....yippeee!!)

Too expensive to be my "every day" bourbon, but damn, am I happy I have a liquor store close by that carries it!!!!!!!

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument

Edited by RkFast

OK, did everyone dip into their stashes last night?

Had just a bit of that Pappy's neat while cruising the 'tube. (good bourbon and victoria's secret models....yippeee!!)

Too expensive to be my "every day" bourbon, but damn, am I happy I have a liquor store close by that carries it!!!!!!!

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument

That's my thing. I've basically switched over to Bourbon or Scotch (despite my name). When I'm buying Bourbon for the house, I'd like to keep Maker's Mark or Knob Creek but I go with Jim Beam. For Scotch I'd like to keep Johnny Walker Black (or Blue!) but I go with Red.

When I'm in the Canadian mood, it's Crown Royal. I have a friend in FL that likes "Crown and Ginger". At a wedding a few years ago (before I switched from beer), he got one for me. Later, I was telling my dad about it. My dad's drink of choice way back in the day was Crown and he said, "Ginger Ale? Boy, that's a lousy way to treat Crown!" Since then, I've only had Crown on the rocks. Dad's usually right about these things.

Speaking of Irish whiskey the best, I mean the !@#$ing best Irish coffee is at the Buena Vista near Fisherman's Wharf. Nothing better than walking in the rain and sitting down to one of those babies. Who am I kidding. Sitting down to THREE. :thumbsup:

And to go way OT here, the restrooms in the Kimpton across the street are the cleanest public restrooms I have ever been in(just in case you are on run and have an immediate need ;) )BTW, been to the Buena for brunch, but no Irish coffe for me due to..

Exactly. Fermentation > distillation!

Count me in the wine/beer crowd as well. Occasional Gibson before dinner, but that be about it as far has hard booze goes. BTW, anyone watching that Brewmaster show about Dogfish and how they come up with new beers?? Pretty interesting

And to go way OT here, the restrooms in the Kimpton across the street are the cleanest public restrooms I have ever been in(just in case you are on run and have an immediate need ;) )BTW, been to the Buena for brunch, but no Irish coffe for me due to..

Count me in the wine/beer crowd as well. Occasional Gibson before dinner, but that be about it as far has hard booze goes. BTW, anyone watching that Brewmaster show about Dogfish and how they come up with new beers?? Pretty interesting

I've got the first two shows DVR'd, I just have to find the time to watch them. :beer:

Exactly. Fermentation > distillation!

However fermentation + distillation :thumbsup:

No you have to try the Irish Coffee. They better be good at $7.50 a pop. We have three each so that's a pricey coffee.

No you have to try the Irish Coffee. They better be good at $7.50 a pop. We have three each so that's a pricey coffee.

If I recall, Buena Vista lays claim to popularizing the Irish Coffee in the US, yes?

The only time I've ever been to SF was with my parents on a family trip when I was 19. My dad really wanted to check BV out to we stopped in for a drink. I had my slick fake ID AND I was with my parents, but the waitress there grilled me like I was a prisoner of war. THREE times she came back and tried to "trick" me:

HER: "Wow you're already 23? You look young!"

ME: "No ma'am, I'm only 21, the birthdate is in red."

HER: "Ohhh...gosh I need to get glasses."

And on and on it went. I eventually wore her down and she served me. Delicious.

I used that fake from Delaware to Los Angeles and countless places in between. Never once even had so much as an eyelash batted at it by cops, liquour stores, bouncers or bartenders. But that savvy broad at Buena Vista almost got me.

I'll have to make it back there one day. I think I owe her an Irish Coffee on me. :beer:

If I recall, Buena Vista lays claim to popularizing the Irish Coffee in the US, yes?

The only time I've ever been to SF was with my parents on a family trip when I was 19. My dad really wanted to check BV out to we stopped in for a drink. I had my slick fake ID AND I was with my parents, but the waitress there grilled me like I was a prisoner of war. THREE times she came back and tried to "trick" me:

HER: "Wow you're already 23? You look young!"

ME: "No ma'am, I'm only 21, the birthdate is in red."

HER: "Ohhh...gosh I need to get glasses."

And on and on it went. I eventually wore her down and she served me. Delicious.

I used that fake from Delaware to Los Angeles and countless places in between. Never once even had so much as an eyelash batted at it by cops, liquour stores, bouncers or bartenders. But that savvy broad at Buena Vista almost got me.

I'll have to make it back there one day. I think I owe her an Irish Coffee on me. :beer:

You law-breaking villian :lol::lol:

You likely would not get by with it today. The daughter of one of the guys here at work was working as a bar waitress over the summer. She was fired, arrested and fined because the cops used an underage guy to order drinks when he was supposedly with his "parents" in the bar. She made the emistake of assuming he was of age.

His daughter is really a nice young lady and now she has to carry this :censored: on her record. Many places I've been to ID anyone who asks for a drink just to prevent this type of scenario.

You law-breaking villian :lol::lol:

You likely would not get by with it today. The daughter of one of the guys here at work was working as a bar waitress over the summer. She was fired, arrested and fined because the cops used an underage guy to order drinks when he was supposedly with his "parents" in the bar. She made the emistake of assuming he was of age.

His daughter is really a nice young lady and now she has to carry this :censored: on her record. Many places I've been to ID anyone who asks for a drink just to prevent this type of scenario.

:pirate: Yeah I was quite the badass... :lol:

This wasn't too long ago...8 years. I have no problem with people carding hard. I was a dumbass kid who was trying to get over. It just still stays with me to this day that the one person who took that ID to the ropes was a sweet looking, 50ish waitress and that it was about 8pm and I was with my parents. But you're probably right that they look for setups like that.

I would like to go back there though. It's definitely a cool spot.

That's my thing. I've basically switched over to Bourbon or Scotch (despite my name). When I'm buying Bourbon for the house, I'd like to keep Maker's Mark or Knob Creek but I go with Jim Beam. For Scotch I'd like to keep Johnny Walker Black (or Blue!) but I go with Red.

When I'm in the Canadian mood, it's Crown Royal. I have a friend in FL that likes "Crown and Ginger". At a wedding a few years ago (before I switched from beer), he got one for me. Later, I was telling my dad about it. My dad's drink of choice way back in the day was Crown and he said, "Ginger Ale? Boy, that's a lousy way to treat Crown!" Since then, I've only had Crown on the rocks. Dad's usually right about these things.

Try some famous grouse for "house scotch".

Also, speaking of whiskey, has anyone ever tried this cool looking guy?

I would always see it in the liquor stores next to the "proper" looking whiskeys and bourbons and smile. I finally bought one and tried it out. Refined, it ain't. But it's not bad. Pretty raw and the wide mouth makes for a initial eye-burning smell (AND very difficult to pour). But it's cool and I dig the mason jar presentation. Makes me want to build a still and start whippin up Black Bart's Badass Boondocks Bourbon... :lol::beer:

Also, speaking of whiskey, has anyone ever tried this cool looking guy?

I would always see it in the liquor stores next to the "proper" looking whiskeys and bourbons and smile. I finally bought one and tried it out. Refined, it ain't. But it's not bad. Pretty raw and the wide mouth makes for a initial eye-burning smell (AND very difficult to pour). But it's cool and I dig the mason jar presentation. Makes me want to build a still and start whippin up Black Bart's Badass Boondocks Bourbon... :lol::beer:

That is cool .... I've not seen it around here ... even if it tastes like crap it would be funny to have it for display at home

A very smooth delicacy is Rebel Yell. I'm not sure if it can be found outside of the south, as it's somewhat difficult to find inside the south, but if you venture across the Mason-Dixon line it's definitely worth picking up a case. It won't break the bank either.

I've had Rebel Yell. I wouldn't call it smooth, but it's pretty good. I've heard that Keith Richards swears by it--it's his favorite.

I've had Rebel Yell. I wouldn't call it smooth, but it's pretty good. I've heard that Keith Richards swears by it--it's his favorite.

You're probably right about the verbage. Smooth probably isn't the right word. I just always find it hard to describe liquor without coming off like some pretentious winery a-hole effervescing about the ethereal experience he gets from his glass of fermented grape juice.

Edited by Rob's House

You're probably right about the verbage. Smooth probably isn't the right word. I just always find it hard to describe liquor without coming off like some pretentious winery a-hole effervescing about the ethereal experience he gets from his glass of fermented grape juice.

"It's like walking through a garden, at night, after the rain..."

"It's like walking through a garden, at night, after the rain..."

A few years ago I bought Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2005 in a thrift bookstore. Apparently, this Murray guy is the Robert Parker of whiskeys...the preeminent expert. In this book, he rated hundreds of Whiskys, Scotches, etc. He rated them all on a 100 pt scale (4 categories/25 points each).

Now, if you think waxing poetic about wine flavors is a bit much, you should see the way this man describes Scotch. Either he takes a bunch of acid before he samples, or he has an ungodly palate. I mean, he's throwing around flavors of fruitcake, almond, honey, marmalade, chocolate, berries, brown sugar, etc.

I tried to compare my thoughts to his for one a bottle I had, but the best I could come up with was "choking burn mixed with smoke and gasoline." I guess I'm not there yet... :lol:

But seriously, for people who enjoy scotches and whiskys, and either have a much more developed palate then me (or like to laugh at the descriptions like me), I recommend checking it out.

His website

Beyond my poking fun, it was very interesting (and impressive) to hear someone put such exhausting detail into countless hundreds of reviews. And if he didn't like it, he pulled no punches. I read one he rated like a 9/100...he said it was unbearable and the primary flavor was soap. Cheers! :beer:

I think this thread could be more interesting if we started talking about all sorts of booze. I mean isn't that what happens at home. You run out of bourbon and you move on to the Cognac. But anyway if you like Grand Marnier, if you haven't already, you should try Drambuie. Seeing it's made from a lot of different things (honey, "secret" herbs and spices) it has a lot more going on in it and to me it's more complex than plain ole orange in Grand Marnier. My dad got a bottle of Drambuie every year for Christmas when we were kids. Hmmm, I think I just figured out his gift this year.

Speaking of Drambuie, nothing beats a Rusty Nail!

http://www.idrink.com/v.html?id=648

Edited by chknwing334