Lets talk bourbon

RkFast

You're probably right about the verbage. Smooth probably isn't the right word. I just always find it hard to describe liquor without coming off like some pretentious winery a-hole effervescing about the ethereal experience he gets from his glass of fermented grape juice.

Don't worry you come off that way anyhow ......

Just Kidding :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, speaking of whiskey, has anyone ever tried this cool looking guy?

Refined, it ain't. But it's not bad. Pretty raw and the wide mouth makes for a initial eye-burning smell (AND very difficult to pour). But it's cool and I dig the mason jar presentation. Makes me want to build a still and start whippin up Black Bart's Badass Boondocks Bourbon... :lol::beer:

It's meant to look like moonshine, and it tastes like grain alcohol, IMO. But it is only 80 proof. To me it's all marketing.

A very smooth delicacy is Rebel Yell. I'm not sure if it can be found outside of the south, as it's somewhat difficult to find inside the south, but if you venture across the Mason-Dixon line it's definitely worth picking up a case. It won't break the bank either.

There was a time, I believe, when Rebel Yell could only be had south of the Mason Dixon line. But now I have seen it in NY and CA. As I mentioned earlier, it was quite the bargain at Trader Joe's in CA. I wouldn't call it great, but it isn't bad. It was a terrific value at the Joe's price.

My liquor cabinet has a good collection of single malts; you guys just inspired me to pour myself some 16-year old Lagavulin. B-)

I think I'll pour a dram of Remy Martin VSOP.

I tried to compare my thoughts to his for one a bottle I had, but the best I could come up with was "choking burn mixed with smoke and gasoline." I guess I'm not there yet... :lol:

I'm thinking you are describing real moonshine there. but much of the pleasure comes with the experience. i was sitting next to a gentleman well into his 80's at an outdoor bluegrass festival. he turned to me and said "son, are you thirsty" (i'm 50, and almost totally gray). when i said "yes sir", he poured me a dixie cup full of moonshine from a ball jar in a paper bag and we sipped together for the rest of the set. I've had a different view of moonshine ever since.

Edited by birdog1960

It's meant to look like moonshine, and it tastes like grain alcohol, IMO. But it is only 80 proof. To me it's all marketing.

Agreed. It's most certainly marketing...I don't pretend it's anything other. But I freely admit that was enough to pull me. It was a morbid curiosity (how gross can this be?) combined with admiration of their packaging style.

My liquor cabinet has a good collection of single malts; you guys just inspired me to pour myself some 16-year old Lagavulin. B-)

Well, from my Whisky Bible referenced above:

Lagavulin Aged 16 years (2005 edition)

Score: 88

Nose: 23

-the peat, though full, is also unusually linear and lacking its trademark complexity: much more gristy than normal

Taste: 22

-exceedingly soft with quick surge of vanilla followed by some fruity notes. The sweet peat, of course, is everywhere.

Finish: 21

-slightly oilier than usual and bitter, too

Balance: 22

-a bit unfair to pass judgment on this bottling: looking at my notes since year 2000, the average mark runs out at a fraction under 92.

I trust that's exactly how you'd describe it, eh Kevin? :lol: (and that's actually one of the tamer descriptions...)

I think I'll pour a dram of Remy Martin VSOP.

After I got a bottle of Remy VSOP as a graduation gift years ago, I swore by it. But when I finally got around to comparing it to the Henny VSOP...no comparison, IMO. Remy is Kenny Davis to Hennessy's Thurman.

I'm thinking you are describing real moonshine there. but much of the pleasure comes with the experience. i was sitting next to a gentleman well into his 80's at an outdoor bluegrass festival. he turned to me and said "son, are you thirsty" (i'm 50, and almost totally gray). when i said "yes sir", he poured me a dixie cup full of moonshine from a ball jar in a paper bag and we sipped together for the rest of the set. I've had a different view of moonshine ever since.

No I was sadly describing a 12 y.o. scotch. I was half-kidding in my description. If all I really tasted was gasoline and fire, I surely wouldn't be posting in a Bourbon/Scotch loving thread. But I sure as hell didn't taste the hints of cocoa and molasses that Mr. Murray seemed to instantly recognize. :ph34r:

I love my Canadian Whiskey. A couple of months ago I had my first taste of bourbon. My father in law just passed away and we had a little family get together after his burial and my mother in law pulled out a bottle of Knob Creek, which my father in law had been saving for this day. He said, "make sure that bottle was empty". I made sure. :thumbsup:

In the past couple of weeks I have also tried a couple different types of blended scotch. Now I am looking forward to trying a single malt. I'm really liking this "on the rocks" drinkin'. (I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I'm willing to learn) :)

Edited by thebug

Sure, you probably have a different view of everything now............because you went blind.

Cool story .... While I have never purchased any I'm told that moonshine is actually quite expensive. Though I'm told there is still a good bit of it made in East TN (lived in Knoxville for 7 years)the demand for it also remains pretty high.

Cool story .... While I have never purchased any I'm told that moonshine is actually quite expensive. Though I'm told there is still a good bit of it made in East TN (lived in Knoxville for 7 years)the demand for it also remains pretty high.

I have had legitimate shine two or three times. The only time I actually enjoyed it, I was visiting my sister-in-law and nieces/nephews at their house at top of a long dirt road that bordered on the Smoky Mountains (Cataloochee) in NC. One of the neighbors was an old-time shiner. It was probably about 130 proof, I imagine. Rough for sure, but it actually had flavor. I'm sure the experience helped the experience, if you get my drift.

Only fermented grape juice for me today. Heading to Sonoma for a holiday party at Lambert Bridge, a winery we're members of. They emailed me a menu of the spread they'll be laying out. It's going to be quite impressive and you can't beat the price.......FREE! Well except for the $300 it's going to cost me for the 6 bottles I'm picking up. And I chose the less expensive ones. :cry:

Well except for the $300 it's going to cost me for the 6 bottles I'm picking up. And I chose the less expensive ones. :cry:

This is one of the things I do not like about wine ... you never really know if price = quality ... though you can find many a fine bottle that is relatively inexpensive there are many more that are very expensive. A good friend of mine who is a true "wine snob" will not buy a bottle that is valued under $100. Fortunately, he makes good coin and can afford to do so (and to his credit really enjoys it). I've had many a glass at his expense and really for the most part find the wine to be no better than some of the less expensive "good" wines. To each his own I suppose.

This is one of the things I do not like about wine ... you never really know if price = quality

That's very true at the lower end and somewhat true for average priced wines. You can find terrific wine at a low price point, but it's rolling the dice if you don't know what you are doing. You can also pay $20 or more for some very average wine.

Typically though, at the higher end, you know the wine will be good, especially if you are familiar with (and like the wine from) the brand/winemaker. Whether it's worth the high price tag is another issue...but the wine will almost always be good. Top wineries and winemakers are pretty careful to not release bad wine.

That's very true at the lower end and somewhat true for average priced wines. You can find terrific wine at a low price point, but it's rolling the dice if you don't know what you are doing. You can also pay $20 or more for some very average wine.

Typically though, at the higher end, you know the wine will be good, especially if you are familiar with (and like the wine from) the brand/winemaker. Whether it's worth the high price tag is another issue...but the wine will almost always be good. Top wineries and winemakers are pretty careful to not release bad wine.

I like the new avatar btw - in case you did not catch this in the other thread I pointed this out.

I guess I di not make my poit clear - for sake of example assume you get two bottles from same region, same year and same variety of grape.

Wine A = $25 per bottle and wine B = $150 per bottle

My point is that wine A may be superior in taste to me (or others). It is not always the case that wine B is better.

When I used to drink wine more regularly I found this issue to be frustrating. However, it is always a joy to find that "cheap" bottle that is very good.

I like the new avatar btw - in case you did not catch this in the other thread I pointed this out.

I guess I di not make my poit clear - for sake of example assume you get two bottles from same region, same year and same variety of grape.

Wine A = $25 per bottle and wine B = $150 per bottle

My point is that wine A may be superior in taste to me (or others). It is not always the case that wine B is better.

When I used to drink wine more regularly I found this issue to be frustrating. However, it is always a joy to find that "cheap" bottle that is very good.

Thanks for the props. I used this avatar a long time ago, but it was time to break it out again.

And you are correct. Price does not equal quality, in wine or just about anything else for that matter. There are prestige brands that command a big premium based on things other than quality/taste. Typically wine investors/collectors and serious snobs who have to have the latest/most expensive/hottest thing.

As with cigars (among other things) I look to the ratings of the pros, sometimes those of consumers and look to my favorite vendors for input. In the end though, it's all about what you like. If you find a good rating source that you usually agree with, but even more importantly understand, it can be very valuable. And, by "understand" I mean this: After reading reviews from some sources, I usually have a good idea if I will like the product (cigar, movie, wine, etc) irrespective of whether they loved it or simply liked it (it's tougher if they hate it). If they are good at their job, and if I understand their taste, I can usually translate that to my taste.

As a (now) poor schmuck, I rarely drop over $20 on a bottle I haven't that I haven't researched a bit, unless a trusted shop keeper, or friend with similar tastes, really raves about it. I'm rarely burned these days. At the lower end, it's a bit dicier...but fun. So you buy a bottle for $7 and it isn't that good. Big deal. It's it's really good, it's a BIG DEAL!

As with cigars (among other things) I look to the ratings of the pros, sometimes those of consumers and look to my favorite vendors for input.

Agreed there is great value in listening to what others have to say about wine, cigars, booze or whatever. A simple example is that I used to drink grey goose martini's regularly. I saw a blind taste testing on TV and come to find out people regularly choose stoli over Grey Goose. I tried it myself and found the same thing.

I love cigars but have not smoked one in many years. I do not love the "hair mouth" the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to try the newer Four Roses reserve. Way back in the day, Four Roses was some nasty cheap stuff, if I recall correctly. But the new stuff gets good reviews.

I bought some Four Roses Single barrel today and regret that I chose it over Blantons. I know taste is individual but I am not impressed with the Four Roses. To me it has an odd bitterness that just does not allow it to "slide" down nicely. It also seems to have an aftertaste.

Next time I stick with Blantons or frankly, for the money Buffalo Trace is still a very nice bourbon.