Lets talk bourbon

RkFast

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the irish whiskeys are now going high end (i guess they need the money) and some are supposedly great. i brought the old standby jameson's to an irish friends house on st paddy's a few years back and he loudly and publicly berated me for bringing that protestant &*^% into his home. he later privately told me that he always bought either jameson's OR bushmills depending on what was on sale. i guess that's irish "humour".

Edited by birdog1960

A couple of questions not yet asked or answered - assume you are drinking a good Bourbon:

How do you like it - neat, on the rocks, with water, without, some other mixer?

Do you care what kind of glass it is in?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for me I like it on the rocks (cold) and a tumbler is fine.

Some will say it should be served neat and in a brandy snifter to get maximum impact.

I'm an ice freak. With the exception of Cognac, which I only drink neat, in a snifter, I like a LOT of ice. With good bourbon, or good whiskey of any sort, I like my glass stuffed with ice and whiskey and perhaps a splash or two of water. Dickel and branch, as they say down south.

One of my absolute favorite ways to drink whiskey is to pour an once and a half (or so) into a large snifter glass. Then pack the glass full/solid with crushed ice. Make sure to put a straw (or better two small stirrer type straws) into the glass as you are stuffing the crushed ice into it. The key is to wait a few minutes until ice stalactites (or perhaps stalagmites) form on the glass. Then suck all the whiskey from the glass through the straws.

"What does it taste like?" you might ask.

Another. It tastes like you should have another.

the irish whiskeys are now going high end and some are supposedly great. i brought the old standby jameson's to an irish friends house on st paddy's a few years back and he loudly and publicly berated me for bringing that protestant &*^% into his home. he later privately told me that he always bought either jameson's OR bushmills depending on what was on sale. i guess that's irish "humour".

Ask AKC about the Power Station (used to dispense Powers Irish Whiskey).

One of my absolute favorite ways to drink whiskey is to pour an once and a half (or so) into a large snifter glass. Then pack the glass full/solid with crushed ice. Make sure to put a straw (or better two small stirrer type straws) into the glass as you are stuffing the crushed ice into it. The key is to wait a few minutes until ice stalactites (or perhaps stalagmites) form on the glass. Then suck all the whiskey from the glass through the straws.

I like it very cold also though the problem with ice is that it melts and will literally water down the flavor. I am thinking about throwing a bottle in the freezer and trying it very chilled.

FWIW - I do not like drinking anything water, soda, tea whatever room temperature. Hot is out of the question unless it is very cold outside and even then rarely. I hate visiting other places where ice is treated like gold.

I like it very cold also though the problem with ice is that it melts and will literally water down the flavor. I am thinking about throwing a bottle in the freezer and trying it very chilled.

FWIW - I do not like drinking anything water, soda, tea whatever room temperature. Hot is out of the question unless it is very cold outside and even then rarely. I hate visiting other places where ice is treated like gold.

Try my snifter full of crushed ice. If you do it like I said, it doesn't get watered down, as the crushed ice is put in after the booze and packed tightly. It is an ice cold shot of goodness!

Try my snifter full of crushed ice. If you do it like I said, it doesn't get watered down, as the crushed ice is put in after the booze and packed tightly. It is an ice cold shot of goodness!

Will do so later this evening .... comments on the results will follow.

Now the problem is that I will likely want stop by the liquor store to pick up a new bottle. I have Woodford Reserve on hand but would rather try this with Knob Creek which is my favorite. :lol::lol:

But one of the best parts of bourbon or wine for that matter is the nose. And if it's too cold you can't smell it as well. What you're doing is drinking not tasting. It's like when the say a pitcher is throwing not pitching.

But one of the best parts of bourbon or wine for that matter is the nose. And if it's too cold you can't smell it as well. What you're doing is drinking not tasting. It's like when the say a pitcher is throwing not pitching.

That's why I don't mess with cognac. Bourbon tastes best COLD. IMO of course.

That's why I don't mess with cognac. Bourbon tastes best COLD. IMO of course.

But taste incorporates the nose and if you're not getting the full nose you're not fully tasting. But I understand the personal preference. It's like music. I had gone off of hard liquor for a long time (20 years) but I was in SFO last year and had a bourbon (Knob Creek I think). It was on the rocks but the nose was incredible. Smoke, vanilla, spice. So I had the second one neat. Wow I was hooked. I used to drink my bourbon (Jack) years ago in little tiny glasses, if you know what I mean and was not experiencing it. It's so much nicer to drink to experience it than just to get drunk. I was at the Palace Hotel the day after Thanksgiving and had a snifter of Grand Marnier........good !@#$ing stuff.

But taste incorporates the nose and if you're not getting the full nose you're not fully tasting. But I understand the personal preference. It's like music. I had gone off of hard liquor for a long time (20 years) but I was in SFO last year and had a bourbon (Knob Creek I think). It was on the rocks but the nose was incredible. Smoke, vanilla, spice. So I had the second one neat. Wow I was hooked. I used to drink my bourbon (Jack) years ago in little tiny glasses, if you know what I mean and was not experiencing it. It's so much nicer to drink to experience it than just to get drunk. I was at the Palace Hotel the day after Thanksgiving and had a snifter of Grand Marnier........good !@#$ing stuff.

viva la difference...gotta love gringostar for putting up kentucky gentlemen while we're all waxing lyrical on $30+ bottles...like what you like and enjoy it. i've been known to enjoy some oldtimers peach 'shine on occasion. not much nose but lots of fun.

I drink all my whiskeys or whiskys neat. If you like Knob Creek and are really looking for a good, easy to find bourbon, try Bakers. I am a big fan of Bakers.

For those who want a cold drink without the ice melting and watering down the drink, try this. A good friend who also likes cold drinks swears the ice melts much slower and does not water down the drink.

the irish whiskeys are now going high end (i guess they need the money) and some are supposedly great. i brought the old standby jameson's to an irish friends house on st paddy's a few years back and he loudly and publicly berated me for bringing that protestant &*^% into his home. he later privately told me that he always bought either jameson's OR bushmills depending on what was on sale. i guess that's irish "humour".

I always thought Jame-o was the Catholic whiskey and Bushmill the Protestant, although since Jameson bought Bushmill I guess they can now both be considered "Catholic" whiskeys.

I drink all my whiskeys or whiskys neat. If you like Knob Creek and are really looking for a good, easy to find bourbon, try Bakers. I am a big fan of Bakers.

For those who want a cold drink without the ice melting and watering down the drink, try this. A good friend who also likes cold drinks swears the ice melts much slower and does not water down the drink.

I always thought Jame-o was the Catholic whiskey and Bushmill the Protestant, although since Jameson bought Bushmill I guess they can now both be considered "Catholic" whiskeys.

Speaking of Irish whiskey the best, I mean the !@#$ing best Irish coffee is at the Buena Vista near Fisherman's Wharf. Nothing better than walking in the rain and sitting down to one of those babies. Who am I kidding. Sitting down to THREE. :thumbsup:

well, i had to look it up and you are correct, sir. just one more humorous jab at my expense from my good irish friend..i'll get him back though.

Speaking of which, the bottle of Pappy's I have right now has by far and away the best nose of any bourbon ive ever come across. I took a long whiff of the bottle last night and soaked it in. For kicks, I then took a long whiff from my bottle of Dickel "barrel select" and then one from some Maker's 46 I have and nether had half the nose of the Pappy's.

As far as ice watering down the drink, IMO thats part of the experience. You start with your drink ice cold and strong and as the ice melts you get some dilution and a different taste and feel to your drink.

Edited by RkFast

I was at the Palace Hotel the day after Thanksgiving and had a snifter of Grand Marnier........good !@#$ing stuff.

I know this is a bourbon thread but I consider Grand Marnier to be the nectar of the heavens. Interestingly,I found the Centenaire to be amazingly smooth but it had far less nose and taste. Therefore, I did not like it as much as the "regular." The problem is that I had it at a bar and perhaps the bottle was not well sealed or something. Given the outcome I have not gone out to buy my own bottle as I do not want to set myself up for an expensive let down.

I know this is a bourbon thread but I consider Grand Marnier to be the nectar of the heavens. Interestingly,I found the Centenaire to be amazingly smooth but it had far less nose and taste. Therefore, I did not like it as much as the "regular." The problem is that I had it at a bar and perhaps the bottle was not well sealed or something. Given the outcome I have not gone out to buy my own bottle as I do not want to set myself up for an expensive let down.

I think this thread could be more interesting if we started talking about all sorts of booze. I mean isn't that what happens at home. You run out of bourbon and you move on to the Cognac. But anyway if you like Grand Marnier, if you haven't already, you should try Drambuie. Seeing it's made from a lot of different things (honey, "secret" herbs and spices) it has a lot more going on in it and to me it's more complex than plain ole orange in Grand Marnier. My dad got a bottle of Drambuie every year for Christmas when we were kids. Hmmm, I think I just figured out his gift this year.

Ok the first few sips of bourbon from a crushed ice packed snifter are down the hatch. Very cold and very good. For kicks I've also tried a few sips neat (room temp)in a different glass (My wife is about to hit the speed diall for AA :lol: ). I actually like the neat one better. In addition to more nose it has a ton more flavor (which is mostly smell anyway). The big drawback is that it has more "burn" as it slides down. It would be hard to do more than one or two of them.

I'll have to try this again with another brand.

I think this thread could be more interesting if we started talking about all sorts of booze. I mean isn't that what happens at home. You run out of bourbon and you move on to the Cognac. But anyway if you like Grand Marnier, if you haven't already, you should try Drambuie. Seeing it's made from a lot of different things (honey, "secret" herbs and spices) it has a lot more going on in it and to me it's more complex than plain ole orange in Grand Marnier. My dad got a bottle of Drambuie every year for Christmas when we were kids. Hmmm, I think I just figured out his gift this year.

I had drambuie once - probably about 25 years ago. I do not have an impression one way or another. I'll have to give it another shot (pun intended).