A Few Thoughts About The Game,

Bill from NYC

Alright idk if you went to the game or not but I did and was watching theorems things so I noticed this random stuff

Bell-1st play of the game handled harrisons quickness no problem which shocked me. 2nd play the same thing happened and he didn't come to the left side the rest of the game. You mentioned bells quickness and your absolutely right the dude is !@#$kbg fast! He's getting much better at shuffling and I have seen great improvent in his play and actually am okay with him being are lt (idk if you've seen peters lately but he sucks balls)

Whitner-I'm sick of everyone bitching about him I don't care if he makes tackles 15yds downfield that's not his fault he's playing great and atleast he CAN make those tackles. He honestly may be one of the vest open field tacklers in the NFL never ever misses a tackle.

Maybin- only had 3 plays but I watched them carefully I gotta say Noone is talking about Him but he did pretty good sti needs to gain more weight but he had a would be sack but was held had a pressure and then just barely missed the sack on the rothinsbergee run. HE MIGHT BE SOMETHING

Gailey-I love this dude finally a coach that is a good leader and can make !@#$ing adjustments

GO BILLS

6) I said that I was going to focus on Bell this week and I did. I am NOT copping out, but his play does confuse me. You see, for 15 or so years we either had a very good LT (Peters briefly), or one who completely sucked. The only small exception was Jennings (when he wasn't on a gurney), and now Bell. Anyway, he is VERY agile, and this is what makes finding a top LT so difficult. He looks like his balance has improved as well. I do wish he would put on a few pounds and get stronger so he could be better on running plays. Again, his best asset is SO rare!!! This is obviously why different staffs kept him. So, maybe I am copping out because he has talent, but I cannot say that I am completely sold on him either. Time will tell.

The best thing that could happen to Bell is to make it through this season healthy. The extra experience is a given benefit, but being able to focus the entire offseason on strength, etc. would make all the difference imo for him to jump to the next level. I believe his OL coach recently said something similar.

I have been a supporter of Bell for some time now.......the athletic movement is why it is rare to find a legit Left Tackle......and the reason why Bell is even on the bills is because he was so friggen raw and had played so little football that he flew under the radar of other teams also looking for legit left tackles.....

I dont care if we do get Love out of next years draft....which I hope we find a way to do....Bell is still going to be the left tackle....with whomever we draft or bring in playing on the right....hopefully Urbik continues his consistant play so that we can move Wood to Center.

Bell

Levitre

Wood

Urbik

Love

I think that the only way the Bills should take a QB early is if they feel he has a good chance of being a significant upgrade over Fitz. With the way Fitz is playing, that's a pretty high bar! If they don't use their first round pick on a QB, they should probably go with a defensive front 7 player.

Andrew Luck still has 45 days before he decides on entering the draft, but if he does he's the top QB available. And if I have the top pick, I'm not worried about whether he's better than Fitzpatrick now-he's going to be better and this is a rebuilding team after all. I'd argue that a rebuild doesn't begin until a team gets their franchise guy, which Fitz is not. (Sorry to go there in this thread) Bill Polian didn't keep Harbaugh when Peyton Manning was available.

But yeah, if Luck isn't available, then defensive front 7 is the way to go. That is, unless RW needs AJ Green that bad. ;)

Andrew Luck still has 45 days before he decides on entering the draft, but if he does he's the top QB available. And if I have the top pick, I'm not worried about whether he's better than Fitzpatrick now-he's going to be better and this is a rebuilding team after all. I'd argue that a rebuild doesn't begin until a team gets their franchise guy, which Fitz is not. (Sorry to go there in this thread) Bill Polian didn't keep Harbaugh when Peyton Manning was available.

But yeah, if Luck isn't available, then defensive front 7 is the way to go. That is, unless RW needs AJ Green that bad. ;)

I completely agree that, if Luck is there, the Bills have to take him. Period.

But for the Bills to get the top pick, they need to go 0-5 down the stretch, and Carolina needs to start sneaking in some wins. Or, they might be able to trade up for Luck.

Johnson is the epitome of inconsistency. He's fantastic and terrible at once. He's young but replaceable. I credit his emergence as 90% Fitzpatrick, 10% Johnson.

I didn't know it was Fitzpatrick beating double coverage on that pass play or getting open in the other games. Yes, a QB who can throw the ball on time mean a lot. But if the guy isn't in position the QB won't throw the ball to him either. And NO he is not all that inconsistent.

Johnson is the epitome of inconsistency. He's fantastic and terrible at once. He's young but replaceable. I credit his emergence as 90% Fitzpatrick, 10% Johnson.

Well then, according to this logic Lee Evans shouldn't be starting for any team in this league.

3) Not only did Carrington have a sack, there was an important holding call against him. Troup also applied some pressure and was in on a few plays. I am telling you people, we need to concentrate a lot on offense in April. These kids are improving late in the season, and this was the plan imo.

I could not disagree more. Outside of Williams and maybe Poz (though I find it curious that the front office is not talking extension yet) the d front 7 is still very much a work in progress. Run defense is not going to improve with the current cast. LB'ing is IMO the group that is by far the weakest on the team. A pass rushing DE is aslo very much needed. If Maybin takes a huge step forward maybe he is the answer but does not appear to be.

6) I said that I was going to focus on Bell this week and I did. I am NOT copping out, but his play does confuse me. You see, for 15 or so years we either had a very good LT (Peters briefly), or one who completely sucked. The only small exception was Jennings (when he wasn't on a gurney), and now Bell. Anyway, he is VERY agile, and this is what makes finding a top LT so difficult. He looks like his balance has improved as well. I do wish he would put on a few pounds and get stronger so he could be better on running plays. Again, his best asset is SO rare!!! This is obviously why different staffs kept him. So, maybe I am copping out because he has talent, but I cannot say that I am completely sold on him either. Time will tell.

I think Bell is coming around. No doubt he remains a bit of a project but I think he is on the road to being a solid, though maybe not an elite LT.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Well then, according to this logic Lee Evans shouldn't be starting for any team in this league.

Don't expect me to launch a spirited defense of Evans. He's fine for now but when it comes time to pay Johnson, Evans is OUT. Give me the young guy with flashes of brilliance over the guy who hasn't had a brilliant flash in years.

I regret my word choice in saying he's replaceable. Johnson is way too good to let go at this point but I am still skeptical about how much is him and how much is Fitz.

Edited by Peace

Don't expect me to launch a spirited defense of Evans. He's fine for now but when it comes time to pay Johnson, Evans is OUT. Give me the young guy with flashes of brilliance over the guy who hasn't had a brilliant flash in years.

I regret my word choice in saying he's replaceable. Johnson is way too good to let go at this point but I am still skeptical about how much is him and how much is Fitz.

Ok, that is exactly what I took issue to was the word "replaceable". More often than not he's been "terrific", and the fact that he is consistently able to get open, against top ranked defenses I believe speaks volumes about his ability. I attribute it to his fluidity, if you look at Lee compared with Stevie, Lee appears to be much more mechanical looking where Stevie looks more natural and fluid in his body movements.

In regards to Fitz, I am beginning to become a true believer in him. The team is behind and so are the fans, and I believe what is most impressive about him, apart from his mental toughness is his ability to read defenses quickly, which is something that both Trent and Losman could never do. I would not draft a QB next year unless it was Luck and only Luck, he is way too good to pass up, but there is no doubt that Fitz has become a strength on this team, and he is good enough to take us as far as our defense will allow.

Edited by Magox

As purple haze said, Fitz can't run routes for Johnson. Johnson is definitely a talented WR when it comes to getting open. The problem with his is his hands. Hopefully yesterday was an aberration that won't ever happen again to him.

yesterday i left the room realk quick after hines ward got stripped and we recovered the fumble i saw the replay and it was clearly a fumble when i came back pittsburgh had the ball does ne body know what happened

Called back for an Illegal Contact penalty on the defense. An Illegal Contact penalty that nobody ever saw, since CBS didn't replay it.

Lot of good stuff here. I'm not completely sold on Edwards as DC. This was a decent defense last year and now it bites. Not much pressure, turnstile against the run, and no coverage linebackers. I think we can keep moving towards a 3-4 and keep Williams for passing downs.

and Carolina needs to start sneaking in some wins. Or, they might be able to trade up for Luck.

Carolina plays Seattle Sunday. This could be a good chance for a win for them. I'll be there. I will be cheering for the Seahawks though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Clausen can do.

Edited by reddogblitz

Called back for an Illegal Contact penalty on the defense. An Illegal Contact penalty that nobody ever saw, since CBS didn't replay it.

wtf the only reason i left the room real quick was because i saw the replay clearly a fumble and no flags neither so i figured id be alrite to bounce for a second musta been a late fla that sux

At this point, they are inconsistently good...which is a massive improvement. The biggest change in this team compared to Bills teams for the last decade: They believe they can win. A Jauron/Losman/Edwards team after that abominable 1st half would have folded up and lost by 39. This team is completely different.

I remember another young bills receiver that was wildly inconsistent in his first couple of years... his name, Eric Moulds. That one didn't turn out too badly. Give the kid some time. He may have been in the system for a while, but this is his first year seeing the field in live action on a regular basis.

I could not disagree more. Outside of Williams and maybe Poz (though I find it curious that the front office is not talking extension yet) the d front 7 is still very much a work in progress. Run defense is not going to improve with the current cast. LB'ing is IMO the group that is by far the weakest on the team. A pass rushing DE is aslo very much needed. If Maybin takes a huge step forward maybe he is the answer but does not appear to be.

We might be closer to the same page than you suggest. Carrington and Troup didn't even suit up for some games. Now they are making progress. Bringing them along slowly seems to have been the choice, and perhaps a wise one.

I am all for strengthening the front 7, but this team still needs to get better on the OL and at TE, and Nix/Gailey (or even Ralph) might want one of the top QBs as well.