Ohio St. Prez says TCU, Boise don't belong

Mr. WEO

Well Boise State blew it, now if TCU can blow it against a joke of a team the case will be closed for 2011.

New Mexico State university is almost a case in point for a lot of the "TCU does not belong argument." That team should be in whatever they call DivII now a days.

Either way you don't get an invite to the national championship game over an undefeated Oregon and Auburn.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol... I dont know if any of you are watching this Boise St. vs Nevada game, but after being up 24-7 Boise is now only up 24-21. Now I wont sit here and say Boise is getting JOBBED...but, lol, Boise is getting JOBBED by the refs! A fumbled punt that Boise recovers, and a "phantom" call on hitting the punt returner early?!?! TERRIBLE call! 4th down pass interference call against Boise (guy turned around, but I could live with the call), but then Boise makes a long throw on 3rd andf long... the DB CLEARLY interferes with him and NO call?!?! All game changing calls against Boise St. Lol, well looks like maybe the OSU Prez has some officials in his pocket too huh? I guess the little schools need to be careful not to get too close to the "big boys" or else the officials will help take them out. Sad really, but Nev is #19 and is playing with a lot of emotion at home right now. If Boise has the "goods", then they'll prove they can win in a tough environment even with the bad calls. If they can't I guess they dont need to be playing for the title... Should be a good finish!

I agree with this 100 percent, and I am not shocked.

When dealing with the good ol boys of the Sec, or the Boring 10, or another 'power' conferences, NEVER undere$timate their powers.

College football: The Fraud Continues.

Or maybe it's not a black vs. white situation. Who decreed that there can only be The One? Who says that the game of football must be boiled down at the major college level to deciding only one champion? That's never been the case. And even if it were made the case in the Bowl Subdivision, it still wouldn't be the case as smaller schools would still have their own, different championships.

The fact is most college football players do not turn pro. Having a once-in-a-lifetime bowl experience in some place they'll never be again is, quite simply, a hell of a good time. You get to play a game you love against other players from a different part of the country and make some friends and see the sights. That's what the "awful" bowl games were really all about. So, a bowl game is both a football game and a unique college experience.

Finally! Ive found someone else who can appreciate the bowl games for what they mean to the players.

I'm all for instituting a playoff system. But the bowl games must be kept as well for teams that dont make it into the 4/6/8/whatever team playoff. For a lot (MOST) of the programs, it's all these kids play for. It's their championship.

I agree with this 100 percent, and I am not shocked.

When dealing with the good ol boys of the Sec, or the Boring 10, or another 'power' conferences, NEVER undere$timate their powers.

College football: The Fraud Continues.

Stop with the conspiracy theory BS. Youre insulting those kids from Nevada that played their hearts out.

And if you want to accuse anyone of being paid off, check the Boise St kicker's wallet.

The refs calls had nothing to do with this game. Nevada Seniors playing the game of their lives, and one poor kicker, did.

Finally! Ive found someone else who can appreciate the bowl games for what they mean to the players.

I'm all for instituting a playoff system. But the bowl games must be kept as well for teams that dont make it into the 4/6/8/whatever team playoff. For a lot (MOST) of the programs, it's all these kids play for. It's their championship.

Back on Page 1 I posted a system that does just that.

It also does not mean kill the Gaylord Hotel's Bowl and all the other random Bowls. Keep all the Bowls the way they are just have 3 games that determine the national championship.

The #5 ranked team doesn't really have a legitimate claim on the national championship today, and shouldn't have a legitimate claim in 3 game playoff system.

Seems like a simple plan to me.

Its amazing that a playoff of system is too complicated for our Universities to devise and you wonder why America's education system is failing.

Here is an idea:

#1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3 in the first week of Bowl Season.

Then the winner of those two games plays in the National Championship game.

You rotate the actual BCS Bowls that the playoff games and National Championship game is played in, like they do today.

Thats 3 BCS bowls.

The Other 2 Bowls could still be be determined by these selection criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series#Selection_of_teams

That way all the big Money Sponsors are happy and you can have a National Champion determined on the field of play.

There really hasn't been a team ranked #5 that has had a legitimate gripe or claim at the national championship, there has very rarely been a #4 team that had a legitimate claim either.

The only "drawback" is that 2 teams get 2 big time, big money bowl games, but to the winners go the spoils.

Wow that was really difficult to figure out.

Too bad College Football is not an amateur sport and there is too much money at stake to enact this simple plan.

Lol... I dont know if any of you are watching this Boise St. vs Nevada game, but after being up 24-7 Boise is now only up 24-21. Now I wont sit here and say Boise is getting JOBBED...but, lol, Boise is getting JOBBED by the refs! A fumbled punt that Boise recovers, and a "phantom" call on hitting the punt returner early?!?! TERRIBLE call! 4th down pass interference call against Boise (guy turned around, but I could live with the call), but then Boise makes a long throw on 3rd andf long... the DB CLEARLY interferes with him and NO call?!?! All game changing calls against Boise St. Lol, well looks like maybe the OSU Prez has some officials in his pocket too huh? I guess the little schools need to be careful not to get too close to the "big boys" or else the officials will help take them out. Sad really, but Nev is #19 and is playing with a lot of emotion at home right now. If Boise has the "goods", then they'll prove they can win in a tough environment even with the bad calls. If they can't I guess they dont need to be playing for the title... Should be a good finish!

I shocked...SHOCKED...that this happened. If they didn't lose I expected Moore to be hit by a bus next.

PTR

Or maybe it's not a black vs. white situation. Who decreed that there can only be The One? Who says that the game of football must be boiled down at the major college level to deciding only one champion? That's never been the case. And even if it were made the case in the Bowl Subdivision, it still wouldn't be the case as smaller schools would still have their own, different championships.

The fact is most college football players do not turn pro. Having a once-in-a-lifetime bowl experience in some place they'll never be again is, quite simply, a hell of a good time. You get to play a game you love against other players from a different part of the country and make some friends and see the sights. That's what the "awful" bowl games were really all about. So, a bowl game is both a football game and a unique college experience.

My sense is that the difference here is whether you would prefer that the decisions be made based on giving the collegian the best college experience or whether you feel the ruling motivation should be to give the TV viewer the best possible experience.

Us TV viewers find it difficult to focus on more than one thing at a time so we want a clear answer as to who is #1 and all this stuff about giving collegians the experiences which come with the multiple bowl system is secondary to my needs.

next thing you know folks may actually expect these athlete-students to be student first and athletes second.

In general the whole call for a playoff really comes off as pretty pathetic to me.

College football is a huge joke when it comes to the national championship. I don't pay any attention to the BCS because it's a sham.

PTR

The NCAA has a playoff system for other sports and yet they refuse a playoff for football. It's all about the money generated by the bowl system. If something doesn't follow any common sense then you have to follow the money trail.

Money has corrupted the NCAA school presidents and it has nothing to do with academics. It's too bad our universities are more worried about their sports programs than their academic programs.

A national playoff for football would make all this controversy go away regardless of which conference you happen to be in. It makes too much sense so it probably won't happen. Maybe they think controversy is good for the sport?

Ummm, just in case you're having a bit if difficulty with authorship (and figuring out who said it was ' world-changing ', etc.), I didn't write those articles - or the headlines.

(And I don't think Leach did, either.)

But, as implied by one headline you cited, his playoff concept IS ' mainstream ' - which was Leach's whole point.

And what is TRULY asinine is your apparent notion that your opinions on Leach - or anything, for that matter - is of any consequence to me at all! :w00t:

Nice try--careful not to trip while back peddling.

I said you posted them, not authored them. You posted them for a reason and the reason is clearly stated in the titles of the articles you chose. It's all consistent with your bizarre fixation with this pitiful crank.

Don't take my word for it---many others her say the same thing. But keep posting on this--it's amusing to no end!

The NCAA has a playoff system for other sports and yet they refuse a playoff for football. It's all about the money generated by the bowl system. If something doesn't follow any common sense then you have to follow the money trail.

First of all, the NCAA has absolutely no say in regards to post season DIV 1A football. The Bowls have existed for years/decades before the NCAA came into being.

Secondly, the NCAA would absolutely love to be able to get their hands on Div 1A posts season college football. The NCAA was the driving force behind getting the US govt (Congress) to investigate the BCS and college football.

IMHO, the god damn NCAA need to keep their fingers off Div 1A football post season play, and for that matter, should be removed from controlling any post season play in any sport at any level.

Money has corrupted the NCAA school presidents and it has nothing to do with academics. It's too bad our universities are more worried about their sports programs than their academic programs.

Actually, most big school football programs generate excess cash for the school. It is that excess cash that is used to help fund other programs.

A national playoff for football would make all this controversy go away regardless of which conference you happen to be in. It makes too much sense so it probably won't happen. Maybe they think controversy is good for the sport?

No it would not. There are 11 conferences in Div 1A football, plus a handful of independents.

No matter how you slice and dice it, 11+ does not divide by 2 cleanly.

As long as humans still control some aspect of the selection process, there will always be issues and controversies.

look at his stats.

look at what he means to his team.

look at his performance.

He is under rated and deserves more hype than what he has been getting.

Wow. Okay, so the guy is under-HYPED. How does that translate into being under-RATED, especially when it was already pointed out, the QB is a Heisman candidate?

Back on Page 1 I posted a system that does just that.

It also does not mean kill the Gaylord Hotel's Bowl and all the other random Bowls. Keep all the Bowls the way they are just have 3 games that determine the national championship.

The #5 ranked team doesn't really have a legitimate claim on the national championship today, and shouldn't have a legitimate claim in 3 game playoff system.

Seems like a simple plan to me.

And why does the #4 and #3 seeds have "legitimate claim" on the national championship, but #5 and below do not?

Nevada isn't exactly a slouch.

No, they certainly are not - I've been saying for months now, I'd love to see Dontay Moch in a Bills uniform...

Link - 2011 NFL Draft: 15 Underrated Senior Prospects

If you’re going to list the smaller, tweener defensive end prospects who would make great 3-4 rush linebackers at the next level, you better make sure Nevada’s Dontay Moch is at the top.

The 6'1" 245-pound Moch, who reportedly ran under 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash this summer, is the reigning WAC Defensive Player of the Year after recording 20 tackles for a loss and 6.5 sacks in 2009. And he’s on pace to best those numbers this season.

Moch’s unreal athleticism and superior pass-rushing skills should have 3-4 NFL defensive coordinators salivating.

Also...

Nevada defense moves at Dontay Moch speed

If Speed Kills Then Nevada’s Dontay Moch is a Murderer

Edited by The Senator

Thanks to dayman for the swift reporting. Looks like at least one of the non-BCS schools heard our advice and is jumping out of their crappy conference.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rickbozich/2010/11/29/big-east-snags-tcu/

TCU going to the Big East

Talk about a crappy conference....

Anyway, guaranteed berth for TCU in perpetuity.

Thanks to dayman for the swift reporting. Looks like at least one of the non-BCS schools heard our advice and is jumping out of their crappy conference.

Next up for Big East is probably Villanova. That gives them 10 teams for football, with the goal of getting to 12 soon I imagine. Of course, this also gives them 17 for basketball. Looks like someone might get cut in the next year...

TCU is trying to get that Orange Bowl money. The Big East has shown for the past decade that a dominant team can pretty much run train straight to the BCS.

I hope this is sarcastic, seeing how the Big Least is almost as bad as most of the non-BCS conferences.

I hope this is sarcastic, seeing how the Big Least is almost as bad as most of the non-BCS conferences.

they are about as bad, but this is how they attempt to improve. losing miami and tech was a huge blow to the BE, they have to replace those teams.

If they can add another decent program, that would be a pretty good step up overall.

Seriously, is there a post you don't begin with ' seriously ' ?

Mehinks you got 'pwned' by the master himself - chalk up another one for crayonz! :lol:

(BTW, did you not see the utter asinine stupidity in WEO's remark that crayonz was responding to - particularly since Leach stated several times that a large-scale (in this case, 64-team) playoff system was no great brainstorm of his own, but something that has been around for decades and long-used in just about every other sport except college football?)

Oh Noes! Youthinks I got "pwned", what ever shall I do?!?!?

Seriously, is there a post you don't begin with ' seriously ' ?

Lol,what...? Two posts out of about 15? Dude, with over 8K posts, I'd assume you'd be more into the actual thread discussion.