Ohio St. Prez says TCU, Boise don't belong

Mr. WEO

JimBob, I dont disagree with anything you said (other than hoping Alabama beats Auburn, lol).

Im not saying Boise St "definitely doesnt deserve to be there at all", but there are 1-loss teams that deserve to be there just as much.

Using your example of LSU who is possibly the 2nd or 3rd team in the SEC WEST, not even the entire SEC... This season alone, they have played:

#23 North Carolina

#25 Miss St

West VA (was #22 at time of game)

Florida (#14 at time of game)

#1 Auburn (#4 at time of game)

#9 Alabama (former #1, ranked #7 at time of game)

Next week they get to finish the season against #12 Arkansas

And that isnt even mentioning the strong, unranked Conf rivals Tenn and Ole Miss.

And after all of that, they only have 1 loss. THAT is a truly tested team which people can confidently rank. IMO, whatever team comes out as SEC champ has already been through a "playoff series". The same thing can be applied to Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, or South Carolina.

I know Im coming off as a homer by concentrating on the SEC, but the point is there are a lot of other teams who look to be just as good as Boise St that are playing TOUGH schedules and proving themselves week in and week out.

Boise gets to roll over high school teams all season, and then show up in a Bowl game healthy and fresh.

Again, not saying they dont deserve to be there at all, but they dont deserve it as much as other teams that have 1 loss.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but Boise and TCU need to man up and did what Florida State did in the early 80's-play anyone on the road. They aren't willing to do this and are starting to believe their own hype (see Boise State's demand of $1m to play Nebraska).

A million dollars! How about 1.4 for the OSU/Colorado barn burner next year.

A million dollars is pretty damn reasonable for a college football team that isnt asking for a home and home.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13813385/buffaloes-to-take-in-14-million-for-2011-game-at-ohio-state

Criticizing Boise's and TCU's schedule rather than addressing the heart of the matter -- the inequities of the BCS system and the greedy bowl organizers and ADs who don't want it to change -- is akin to complaining about the effects of skin cancer while lying on the beach in San Tropei, sans suncscreen.

To OSU's president, I say -- you helped create this mess, you fix it. Until then, stop your bitchin'.

Here's the problem with the "strength of schedule" argument. It's partly based on rep. Everyone assumes the SEC is a great conference but they won't play any legit OOC opponents, or anyone on the road, so they never have to prove they are better than everyone else. (What happened to Alabama in 2008 when the played Utah?) It's a closed feedback loop. Everyone assumes you're great but you never have to prove it.

PTR

That's not entirely true.

I already showed that LSU played North Carolina, and West Virginia. Both OOC, ranked teams.

Alabama played Penn St who was #18 at the time. Arkansas played Texas A&M. Tennessee played Oregon. Florida played South Florida, and has a game against Florida St coming up.

With only a 12-13 game season, and 6-8 of those games being against ranked, conference rivals, what else do you want these teams to do?

Again, the good news is that we might start to see some good match ups with Boise St facing UGA in the season opener next season (which I already reserved tickets for between my last post about it and right now :thumbsup: )

Edited by DrDankenstein

JimBob, I dont disagree with anything you said (other than hoping Alabama beats Auburn, lol).

Im not saying Boise St "definitely doesnt deserve to be there at all", but there are 1-loss teams that deserve to be there just as much.

Using your example of LSU who is possibly the 2nd or 3rd team in the SEC WEST, not even the entire SEC... This season alone, they have played:

#23 North Carolina

#25 Miss St

West VA (was #22 at time of game)

Florida (#14 at time of game)

#1 Auburn (#4 at time of game)

#9 Alabama (former #1, ranked #7 at time of game)

Next week they get to finish the season against #12 Arkansas

And that isnt even mentioning the strong, unranked Conf rivals Tenn and Ole Miss.

And after all of that, they only have 1 loss. THAT is a truly tested team which people can confidently rank. IMO, whatever team comes out as SEC champ has already been through a "playoff series". The same thing can be applied to Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, or South Carolina.

I know Im coming off as a homer by concentrating on the SEC, but the point is there are a lot of other teams who look to be just as good as Boise St that are playing TOUGH schedules and proving themselves week in and week out.

Boise gets to roll over high school teams all season, and then show up in a Bowl game healthy and fresh.

Again, not saying they dont deserve to be there at all, but they dont deserve it as much as other teams that have 1 loss.

Fair enough. Sounds like the perfect scenario then would be to give them all a chance at competing for a championship...gee..how could we do that...oh maybe a playoff?!

Fair enough. Sounds like the perfect scenario then would be to give them all a chance at competing for a championship...gee..how could we do that...oh maybe a playoff?!

Im with you on that, brother! :thumbsup:

All of my other points are solely based on discussing the system we have now. Like it or lump it.

Sorry, but Boise and TCU need to man up and did what Florida State did in the early 80's-play anyone on the road. They aren't willing to do this and are starting to believe their own hype (see Boise State's demand of $1m to play Nebraska).

see:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709

First Paragraph: Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone."

see:

First Paragraph: Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone."

Again, considering the 2011 opener is already scheduled against Georgia (of the SEC), I call BS on this as more self-serving speak from an AD, just like the guy from OSU.

Its all politicking for those rankings. Now we see that both sides are doing it.

see:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709'>http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709

http://omaha.com/article/20100908/SPORTS/709089803/0

see:

Calling BS. They aren't getting returned because of his demands.

This is an absolute joke:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/boisestate_future.htm

I never cared one way or the other about Ohio State, but I'm beginning to despise them. They hardly ever show up to a big game and now they're calling out a Boise St team that HAS shown up in every big game they've played the past few years!! Ohio St has been living off of past glory for years now. They need to show they can play with the "big boys" as much as anyone. The thing is... until you have a college football season that allows ALL teams to play against each other, you'll never be able to see how these smaller schools fare against their big school powers. I know that some of these smaller schools can compete, and in many cases, BEAT some of the "big" schools. So we're left wondering because the "big" schools wont even let the small schools get the shot. That to me is plain p**sy like!!

This too...

All conferences need to either HAVE a championship game, or eliminate the conference championship game from counting for or against a teams record. There are too many good teams that get penalized for this. Unfortunately for us true fans of the game, $$$ dictates who the "champions" are... this is the case in almost every sport, but at least in the pro games there are playoffs and anyone can spend the $$ if they choose to do so.. just because Pittsburgh doesn't spend $$ to make the Pirates competitive doesn't mean they aren't allowed to. It's their choice. In college ball... without a playoff, and with a SHAM of a BCS system, we're screwed... :censored:

Edited by McD

I agree that their schedule is weak, but how much of that is due to the fact that the big schools won't let them into their club and play them? The only fair solution is a playoff. I know its a topic that gets beaten into the ground, but maybe one day they'll finally hear us and make it happen.

Why should a team that already plays 5 or more ranked teams per season add another one to their schedule? What Boise State and TCU need to do if they want a legit NC opportunity is move to a more competitive conference, because it is absolute BS that Boise State can pound on Idaho State Technical Institute and East by Northeast Leprechaun University all year long and then play for a NC. It's not Boise State or TCU's fault, but that doesn't mean they should be given a free ticket to the NC game.

Why should a team that already plays 5 or more ranked teams per season add another one to their schedule? What Boise State and TCU need to do if they want a legit NC opportunity is move to a more competitive conference, because it is absolute BS that Boise State can pound on Idaho State Technical Institute and East by Northeast Leprechaun University all year long and then play for a NC. It's not Boise State or TCU's fault, but that doesn't mean they should be given a free ticket to the NC game.

I dont disagree with you but not every school can get into a major conference. How does Boise St get into the SEC??? First they aren't even close regionally, which makes travel tough and expensive. The Pac 10 is an option for them though... but when do you think that invite will come?

You are absolutely correct. In the current system, the ONLY thing Boise St can do if they are serious about being a contender is jump to another conference. The PAC10 is BEGGING for quality teams to join and would make it worth Boise's while to switch. They could make the move if they wanted.

Get into a Big Boy Conference and play the likes of Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, USC, etc. each year, and then you can sit at the Adult Table.

I dont disagree with you but not every school can get into a major conference. How does Boise St get into the SEC??? First they aren't even close regionally, which makes travel tough and expensive. The Pac 10 is an option for them though... but when do you think that invite will come?

They got invited this past offseason. The PAC10 got a new Commissioner who made a point to aggressively go after other big schools to get his Conference up to 12 so they can have a Championship Game.

If Boise St called the PAC10, theyd be welcomed immediately with open arms.

Edit: Boise did not get the invite, but the PAC10 was concentrating on luring Big12 teams. I saw the PAC10 commish on TV recently and he said they would be going after more teams again this offseason. Boise would be perfect.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Regardless of any ulterior or self-serving motives, the guy is right.

If, for example, Alabama beats Auburn on Friday, how can you say Boise St deserves to be in the Championship over a 1-loss SEC Champion who has had to play MULTIPLE top-10 ranked teams?

This happens in every major pro sport. Look at the NFL: some divisions really suck and a mediocre team or two or 4 will make the playoffs much easier than an 11 win team in a tough division. The difference is that no one is claiming Boise sucks or is mediocre. They are undefeated.

Agreed, but the argument to that is "How do you pick those 4 or 8 teams?"

Then people at #5 or #9 will be the ones complaining. At least it would be a little more fair or logical though.

Who cares? Better than #3 or #4 getting screwed.

More food for thought... how does Boise St start the season ranked #3... beat up on all comers... get as high as #2, but somehow "fall" behind a TCU team that they beat head to head in last years Fiesta Bowl??? I mean "C'mon man!"

[/b]

This happens in every major pro sport. Look at the NFL: some divisions really suck and a mediocre team or two or 4 will make the playoffs much easier than an 11 win team in a tough division. The difference is that no one is claiming Boise sucks or is mediocre. They are undefeated.

Who cares? Better than #3 or #4 getting screwed.

Agreed, and thats why I didnt argue the point. I just put it out there as what I hear in response to the "Top 4 Team Playoff" system.

But in a season where there are multiple undefeated teams, or even worse NO undefeated teams, determining the Top 4 would be just as controversial.

It would have to be a system like, the Conference Champion from the SEC, Big10, Big12, and PAC10 make it in. And then allow 2 "At large" spots for schools from other divisions or non-champ schools from those divisions. Have the 2 At Large schools play the 3 and 4 teams, while 1 and 2 have a bye.

That's 6 teams, some clear cut champions, plus some wiggle room. All done in a month (Decemeber) with the Championship on Jan 1.

Edited by DrDankenstein

You are absolutely correct. In the current system, the ONLY thing Boise St can do if they are serious about being a contender is jump to another conference. The PAC10 is BEGGING for quality teams to join and would make it worth Boise's while to switch. They could make the move if they wanted.

Get into a Big Boy Conference and play the likes of Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, USC, etc. each year, and then you can sit at the Adult Table.

They got invited this past offseason. The PAC10 got a new Commissioner who made a point to aggressively go after other big schools to get his Conference up to 12 so they can have a Championship Game.

If Boise St called the PAC10, theyd be welcomed immediately with open arms.

Edit: Boise did not get the invite, but the PAC10 was concentrating on luring Big12 teams. I saw the PAC10 commish on TV recently and he said they would be going after more teams again this offseason. Boise would be perfect.

I know of the realignment from last year... so, does the Pac 10 become the Pac 14 soon? Not to be sarcastic on that, and I think there's more to it than just football teams. I believe this has to make sense for the entire Athletic Dept. Boise's football program has just outgrown all of its other sports.

Either way... should it matter? If you're good and have proven it on the field against tough opponents, you should have every right to play for a title. So, back to the playoff system we go!

More food for thought... how does Boise St start the season ranked #3... beat up on all comers... get as high as #2, but somehow "fall" behind a TCU team that they beat head to head in last years Fiesta Bowl??? I mean "C'mon man!"

The BCS club will do anything possible to keep BSU out of their little party. If you aren't SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Texas, Nebraska or Oklahoma, you aren't invited no matter how long you go undefeated.