Ohio St. Prez says TCU, Boise don't belong

Mr. WEO

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of any ulterior or self-serving motives, the guy is right.

If, for example, Alabama beats Auburn on Friday, how can you say Boise St deserves to be in the Championship over a 1-loss SEC Champion who has had to play MULTIPLE top-10 ranked teams?

College Football needs a playoff 4 or 8 teams. Imagine if Oregon and Boise played and Auburn and TCU played and the winners played in the National title game. who wouldn't want to see those games ?

Agreed, but the argument to that is "How do you pick those 4 or 8 teams?"

Then people at #5 or #9 will be the ones complaining. At least it would be a little more fair or logical though.

I agree that their schedule is weak, but how much of that is due to the fact that the big schools won't let them into their club and play them? The only fair solution is a playoff. I know its a topic that gets beaten into the ground, but maybe one day they'll finally hear us and make it happen.

I agree that their schedule is weak, but how much of that is due to the fact that the big schools won't let them into their club and play them? The only fair solution is a playoff. I know its a topic that gets beaten into the ground, but maybe one day they'll finally hear us and make it happen.

They hear us, but even if they wanted to make it happen, they are already locked into Bowl games with endorsement and TV contracts. It will have to be planned for after those contracts expire.

Although, an easy alternative is to move the big bowl game sponsors (Tostitos, etc) to the Playoff and Championship games, and keep all of the small bowl games/sponsors, so small programs have something to play for.

A playoff would be a gold mine but the BCS schools would have to share the money with all the conferences, and they don't want that. I propose that the BCS be barred from using the phrase "national championship". Go ahead and have your BCS championship. Just don't call it "national."

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Everyone knows where YE OLE stands on this topic, but just to interject 2 more YE OLE COTTON cents: Those who follow college football dilligently can clearly see Boise State is no longer a novelty. The WAC isn't a strong conference, but their resume over the last 3 seasons now includes knocking off a Big 12 champion, a Pac 10 champion, and an ACC champion (not midlevel teams from major conferences... the champions of those conferences) to go along with 2 BCS bowl victories, and during that weak WAC schedule they're winning by 40-50 points without exception. And what's more, this season's team is the best they've ever fielded. The irony here is, there's a possibility that Ohio State would have to face a snubbed Boise St. in the Rose Bowl (this would required Wisconsin to lose at home to Northwestern, which isn't likely, but possible nonetheless). Be careful what you wish for Buckeyes.

Sorry, but Boise and TCU need to man up and did what Florida State did in the early 80's-play anyone on the road. They aren't willing to do this and are starting to believe their own hype (see Boise State's demand of $1m to play Nebraska).

Agreed, and until I hear someone from Boise St say "We tried scheduling games against 'these teams' and no one will play us", I dont believe they are being shunned out of fear.

I believe they are starting next season against Georgia, here in Atlanta, so thats a good start at earning some credibility.

He just says that because it gives them a bit less of a chance of getting blown out . And besides how would it look if a little school like Boise went into Ohio and waxed them that would be a major blow to there ego .

Ohio St. doesn't want to play Boise St. It would be interesting to see how the Ohio St. President would explain getting blown out by a little team from Idaho. Boise St could easily win the Big 10 or whatever they call it. It's more like the not so Big 3.

Then people at #5 or #9 will be the ones complaining. At least it would be a little more fair or logical though.

There are some basketball teams complaining even when they pick 65 teams to play for the national championship. Then even those who get selected complain about their seeding/placement. You'll never make everyone happy, but at least you'll have a system to determine a more legitimate champion than this BCS garbage does.

Regardless of the system that's put in place, the big problem is the money and who it goes to.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

"They didn't face a difficult enough schedule" to play for the BCS championship....syas the guy who's team faced E. Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Purdue, Marshall....

Guess he wants to preserve his team's opportunity to get blown out in another BCS champ game.

Its amazing that a playoff of system is too complicated for our Universities to devise and you wonder why America's education system is failing.

Here is an idea:

#1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3 in the first week of Bowl Season.

Then the winner of those two games plays in the National Championship game.

You rotate the actual BCS Bowls that the playoff games and National Championship game is played in, like they do today.

Thats 3 BCS bowls.

The Other 2 Bowls could still be be determined by these selection criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series#Selection_of_teams

That way all the big Money Sponsors are happy and you can have a National Champion determined on the field of play.

There really hasn't been a team ranked #5 that has had a legitimate gripe or claim at the national championship, there has very rarely been a #4 team that had a legitimate claim either.

The only "drawback" is that 2 teams get 2 big time, big money bowl games, but to the winners go the spoils.

Wow that was really difficult to figure out.

Too bad College Football is not an amateur sport and there is too much money at stake to enact this simple plan.

Edited by Why So Serious?

If, for example, Alabama beats Auburn on Friday, how can you say Boise St deserves to be in the Championship over a 1-loss SEC Champion who has had to play MULTIPLE top-10 ranked teams?

I would argue that Over and Over again, Boise State proves it CAN compete with the big dogs. In recent years they are UNDEFEATED including wins over Oklahoma, TCU (x2), Virginia Tech and Oregon (x2). To say they are not as good as Oregon is silly when they have beaten them in both 2008 and 2009! I 100% concur with you that their schedule is not as good, but you cannot sit here with a straight face and tell me that they are DEFINITELY NOT the best team in college football. They may not be able to beat Oregon or Auburn this year, but to say they should not have a change is just crazy.

This is my favorite argument from BCS supporters. The real issue is that teams (i.e. Boise State & TCU), can go undefeated and not get a shot at the championship. If you are LSU, and you get shut out of the playoffs, tough. You had your game and you blew it. If you were undefeated you would make the playoffs. LSU had their chance. If they are lucky enough to get a 2nd chance, so be it, but not at the expense of a team (i.e. TCU) who did everything right and WON all their games.

I hate the BCS. Lets go to a playoff system. Hopefully Alabama beats Auburn and we have utter BCS chaos.

#5-#9 do not have a valid claim at the national championship, there complaints will be duly noted and filed in the circular bin.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Here's the problem with the "strength of schedule" argument. It's partly based on rep. Everyone assumes the SEC is a great conference but they won't play any legit OOC opponents, or anyone on the road, so they never have to prove they are better than everyone else. (What happened to Alabama in 2008 when the played Utah?) It's a closed feedback loop. Everyone assumes you're great but you never have to prove it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot