Ohio St. Prez says TCU, Boise don't belong

Mr. WEO

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

"They didn't face a difficult enough schedule" to play for the BCS championship....syas the guy who's team faced E. Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Purdue, Marshall....

Guess he wants to preserve his team's opportunity to get blown out in another BCS champ game.

And whose fault is that? Definitely not Boise State's as they have been desperately trying to get some of the top teams on their schedule, only to be rebuked by the cowards who don't want to have their season put into jeopardy by being upset.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of the realignment from last year... so, does the Pac 10 become the Pac 14 soon? Not to be sarcastic on that, and I think there's more to it than just football teams. I believe this has to make sense for the entire Athletic Dept. Boise's football program has just outgrown all of its other sports.

Either way... should it matter? If you're good and have proven it on the field against tough opponents, you should have every right to play for a title. So, back to the playoff system we go!

Agreed, but what tough opponents has Boise played this year? I believe Va Tech and Oregon St were their toughest opponents. Good teams, but hardly powerhouses.

And you can't mention victories from previous years. This is football, and even more so COLLEGE football. Programs go through major changes every year. I'll admit, Boise has been consistent, but the level of opponent has been consistently poor for the majority of their games.

I understand we could go around in circles on this forever. The ultimate point is, playoff system of not, if Boise wants to be taken seriously, they need to do whatever it takes to play some REAL competition on a regular basis.

And whose fault is that? Definitely not Boise State's as they have been desperately trying to get some of the top teams on their schedule, only to be rebuked by the cowards who don't want to have their season put into jeopardy by being upset.

If you read the thread, youll see that that myth has been debunked. #1, they are playing Georgia in the season opener and #2 they were offered a deal for a Nebraska series but wanted too much.

It's just not true that schools in conferences that are not "BCS Automatics" try to "duck" schools that are in those conferences. It's kind of hilarious to hear the heavy dose of hypocrisy that an Ohio St. doesn't have the flexibility to schedule some school because they have to play their conference schedule but that TCU is "ducking good teams" with total disregard that they also play in a conference and have a conference schedule.

It's a fact that teams like South Florida, East Carolina, Fresno, Boise, etc. have pursued trying to schedule teams from the automatic conferences in the past. But, there are always the "scheduling issues" and many of the so-called "elite programs" in the automatic conferences simply don't want the headache of scheduling a school that will give them problems on the field, there just isn't any good incentive to schedule a solid team from a "minor conference" that could knock you out of a major bowl and the Big Money. The "ducking" comes from the other side -- those that have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Simply put: Ohio St. would rather play Youngstown.

Agreed, but what tough opponents has Boise played this year? I believe Va Tech and Oregon St were their toughest opponents. Good teams, but hardly powerhouses.

And you can't mention victories from previous years. This is football, and even more so COLLEGE football. Programs go through major changes every year. I'll admit, Boise has been consistent, but the level of opponent has been consistently poor for the majority of their games.

I understand we could go around in circles on this forever. The ultimate point is, playoff system of not, if Boise wants to be taken seriously, they need to do whatever it takes to play some REAL competition on a regular basis.

If you read the thread, youll see that that myth has been debunked. #1, they are playing Georgia in the season opener and #2 they were offered a deal for a Nebraska series but wanted too much.

Thanks, DD. No, I didn't read...OK, well, so, we're going to get all over them because they want to make a little money!!

:P

The BCS club will do anything possible to keep BSU out of their little party. If you aren't SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Texas, Nebraska or Oklahoma, you aren't invited no matter how long you go undefeated.

Nor should you be. Because the simple fact is Boise State would not be undefeated in any of those conferences, except maybe the Big 12 which seems to be in severe decline.

Thanks, DD. No, I didn't read...OK, well, so, we're going to get all over them because they want to make a little money!!

:P

HA! No, Im not "blaming" Boise St, but simply debunking the myth that teams "refuse to return their phone calls". Plenty of big teams have been willing to deal with them. I wont deny that, as Sisyphean mentioned, the big schools arent enthused or motivated to play them as they have more to lose, but those same big schools play plenty of ranked, tough competition. It's not like the Big Schools are playing 10 bad teams, as Boise is. The Big Schools already prove themselves every year.

As we've said in the thread, if Boise is serious about it's football program, change Conferences. It's about all they can do.

Again... I understand all of this, BUT the title game should be played against the top two TEAMS, not the teams from the top 2 conferences. Now, I know that in most cases the top teams come from those conferences, BUT I don't know if that's always going to be the case. I think we all THINK that's the case, but we can't say that for certain. What I do know is that I believe a playoof system is the ONLY way to end all of this. If Auburn is truly better than Boise St, then prove it head to head. Same for anyone against TCU. I just want to see teams get the chance... what can I say I'm a Bills fan, I always root for the underdog! On a $$$ note... I see a playoff as being GOOD for everyone... more games, more revenue, more satisfaction that the right team wins... what's the major downside?

The Big Schools will play 5 bad teams a year, minimum.

Alabama's Schedule San Jose, Duke, GA St. (3 lower teams)

Arkansas Schedule Tenn Tech, LA Mon, UTEP (3 lower teams)

South Carolina So Miss, Furman, Troy (3 lower teams)

Auburn Schedule Ark St, LA Mon, Chattanooga (3 lower teams)

LSU McNeese St, LA Mon (2 lower teams)

Need further proof?

Boise hasnt even played 3 GOOD teams...

Edit:

Just for giggles, I checked on a Non-SEC team:

Ohio State Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Mich (3 lower teams)

And Id argue that Marshall would kill most of the teams Boise plays as well.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Nor should you be. Because the simple fact is Boise State would not be undefeated in any of those conferences, except maybe the Big 12 which seems to be in severe decline.

And you know this how? By subjectively deciding that they couldn't "compete" in these conferences because the "traditional conferences" are better.

This stupid belief if applied to the NFL would have resulted in Arizona never getting a chance to play in the Super Bowl because "durrrrr! They play in a weak conference! If they played in the NFC East, they'd lose every game!"

That's what PLAYOFFS are for, determining who the best team is regardless of the competition they faced throughout the year. But you go on thinking that schools like BSU and TCU have "no business" being there while the rest of the nation (and even the friggin' government) consider the BCS to be an elitist back-slapping party devised to keep the "uppity" schools out of contention.

Alabama's Schedule San Jose, Duke, GA St. (3 lower teams)

Arkansas Schedule Tenn Tech, LA Mon, UTEP (3 lower teams)

South Carolina So Miss, Furman, Troy (3 lower teams)

Auburn Schedule Ark St, LA Mon, Chattanooga (3 lower teams)

LSU McNeese St, LA Mon (2 lower teams)

Need further proof?

Boise hasnt even played 3 GOOD teams...

True, but Oregon has only played 2 ranked teams all year themselves... #9 Stanford and #24 USC...

And while we're at it Auburn has only played 3 ranked teams.... ALL at home no less.

Edited by McD

True, but Oregon has only played 2 ranked teams all year themselves... #9 Stanford and #24 USC...

good point. Looking at Oregon's schedule, they at least play some other big programs, even if they are not ranked.

Tennessee, Az St,UCLA, Washington, Cal, (with Arizona and Oregon St coming up)

Im definitely not saying Boise has to play a bunch of highly ranked teams. Just teams with better programs that other good teams play, so we have some sort of comparison to make.

Boise played Oregon St and VA Tech this year. Great. Had they thrown in a Cal or Washington, and maybe a Texas Tech, then at least we'd have a good cross section to judge them by. Get some games against the mid/lower teams from other conferences.

As it stands, theyre playing High School for 10 games a year.

good point. Looking at Oregon's schedule, they at least play some other big programs, even if they are not ranked.

Tennessee, Az St,UCLA, Washington, Cal, (with Arizona and Oregon St coming up)

Im definitely not saying Boise has to play a bunch of highly ranked teams. Just teams with better programs that other good teams play, so we have some sort of comparison to make.

Boise played Oregon St and VA Tech this year. Great. Had they thrown in a Cal or Washington, and maybe a Texas Tech, then at least we'd have a good cross section to judge them by. Get some games against the mid/lower teams from other conferences.

As it stands, theyre playing High School for 10 games a year.

While your points are valid, I again think you're assuming that some of these traditional "large schools" are in fact better than they might actually be. All I can say is that Boise St and TCU have both handled their buisiness with either ranked or unranked opponents, and they have beaten them as soundly as they should. I can't tell you what would happen if Boise played Oregon or Auburn, but... THAT'S MY POINT!!! I WANT TO FIND OUT!!! ;)

Regardless of any ulterior or self-serving motives, the guy is right.

If, for example, Alabama beats Auburn on Friday, how can you say Boise St deserves to be in the Championship over a 1-loss SEC Champion who has had to play MULTIPLE top-10 ranked teams?

Agreed, but the argument to that is "How do you pick those 4 or 8 teams?"

Then people at #5 or #9 will be the ones complaining. At least it would be a little more fair or logical though.

Did you bother to look at Alabama's or Auburn's schedule? Obviously not. Multiple top 10 teams...does that imply more than Florida and then playing each other or no? SEC Honk.

Did you bother to look at Alabama's or Auburn's schedule? Obviously not. Multiple top 10 teams...does that imply more than Florida and then playing each other or no? SEC Honk.

What??? Auburn played then #6 LSU and Alabama played then #7 Florida... THAT'S IT for top 10 teams between them this year...

College Football needs a playoff 4 or 8 teams. Imagine if Oregon and Boise played and Auburn and TCU played and the winners played in the National title game. who wouldn't want to see those games ?

And how exactly would that work? In order to arrive at a "fairer" outcome thru playoffs, how many teams would be in them? 64, like basketball? The top 25? 10? And how is the top 10, or 25 determined to begin with? And how many playoff rounds have to be played to arrive at "the best?" Can it be done in less than 3, 4, or even 5 weeks?

A playoff system would be no more fair than the current polls. Leave it the way it is.

Oh, and Boise State this year would beat Ohio State 9 out of 10 times.

And how exactly would that work? In order to arrive at a "fairer" outcome thru playoffs, how many teams would be in them? 64, like basketball? The top 25? 10? And how is the top 10, or 25 determined to begin with? And how many playoff rounds have to be played to arrive at "the best?" Can it be done in less than 3, 4, or even 5 weeks?

A playoff system would be no more fair than the current polls. Leave it the way it is.

Oh, and Boise State this year would beat Ohio State 9 out of 10 times.

Right now you they a single way of determining "who get's to play for the title", but using the BCS poll AND a playoff, I think we'd be onto something there. There should be NO talk from the #9 team if you have an 8 team playoff... never has a #9 seeded team played for the National Title. And, realistically, IF the top 2 teams are as good as they say they are, they'll still come out on top. Have an 8 team playoff with either a full-on 8 team bracket, OR have it set up where the top 2 or 4 ranked teams get a bye. Evryone including the money makers should be ok with this...

Gordon Gee used to be my Boss. As in the ultimate chief. Let's just say he marches to the beat of his own drummer. Nice fella. Very personable. But he restructured Vanderbilt Athletics so that there was no Athletic Director and now we have some academic dean type administrator running athletics.

His ex-wife was also reprimanded for smoking pot in the Chancellor residence. So I wouldn't read too much into his quotes.

C

see:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709

First Paragraph: Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone."

see:

Boise State never contacted Alabama

How did most of the teams in conferences get in there? I bet MOST of them fell into a conference based on what region they're from. I don't know the history, but I would venture to gues that most of the teams in their respective conferences didn't need to "beg" to get in. So now schools not already in big conferences have no right to play for a title no matter how good they are because they're not part of the "good old boy network"? Too funny, but not shocking now is it??