Kickoff Returns.....

Bill from NYC

I am not going to start a poll, but in terms of winning football games, which of the above would you rather see returning kicks? Imo, Spiller has better moves, but McKelvin is a full step faster, and thus has a better chance of breaking a long TD.

Yeah, I would prefer McKelvin, and wonder how others feel.

I'm fine with either, to be honest. There's no doubt they each have great vision and quickness. If I had to choose one, I'd say McKelvin, just because I'd plan to have Spiller on the field more often. Too bad McGee is old and hurting, otherwise I'd take him above both.

I'm fine with either, to be honest. There's no doubt they each have great vision and quickness. If I had to choose one, I'd say McKelvin, just because I'd plan to have Spiller on the field more often. Too bad McGee is old and hurting, otherwise I'd take him above both.

Ditto; I'd take McGee over anyone else in the league, frankly.

McKelvin is the strangest looking returner (esp. the way he bounces off guys), but obviously very effective.

In some ways it is amazing the Bills have so much depth and talent at return men. Spiller has more pure speed than McLuvin but he seems to not have the ability to break tackles and bounce off of people as well. Still I would say put Spiller back there as he is likely to get "it" with more experience. I also think between the two it is more damaging to lose McLuvin to injury.

One thing is for sure Parrish was useless on kick returns though he still remains at or near the top in punt returners.

Spiller has more pure speed than McLuvin

I think the opposite and see McKelvin as being noticeably faster, but having less moves.

They are both fast ... so this is probably splitting hairs but draft boards say Spiller's 40's ranged fron 4.25 - 4.39 Mcluvin was slighter "slower" at 4.38 - 4.45. At the end of the day with pads on and depending on the surface it is hard to suggest there would be any difference between the two.

Ditto; I'd take McGee over anyone else in the league, frankly.

McKelvin is the strangest looking returner (esp. the way he bounces off guys), but obviously very effective.

Chalk up another vote for McGee. Dude was the best in the league. Why did we draft McKelvin again?

They are both fast ... so this is probably splitting hairs but draft boards say Spiller's 40's ranged fron 4.25 - 4.39 Mcluvin was slighter "slower" at 4.38 - 4.45. At the end of the day with pads on and depending on the surface it is hard to suggest there would be any difference between the two.

I hear ya, and thanks for that info. My guess is that 100 times matter more than 40 times wrt kickoff returns. McKelvin showed blazing speed when taking returns to the house. It was as if nobody had any chance of catching him but again, your point is taken.

I am not going to start a poll, but in terms of winning football games, which of the above would you rather see returning kicks? Imo, Spiller has better moves, but McKelvin is a full step faster, and thus has a better chance of breaking a long TD.

Yeah, I would prefer McKelvin, and wonder how others feel.

I'm fine with either. I just wish Corto was more subtle when holding fools.

I prefer McLovin' returning the KO's. He seems more decisive and burns it up in there, instead of stutter stepping (which will kill any KO return instantly). I do agree that we need Leodis in the secondary so letting CJ learn on the fly is probably the wiser way to go. It's not like the team is battling for a playoff berth.

I prefer McLovin' returning the KO's. He seems more decisive and burns it up in there, instead of stutter stepping (which will kill any KO return instantly). I do agree that we need Leodis in the secondary so letting CJ learn on the fly is probably the wiser way to go. It's not like the team is battling for a playoff berth.

Spiller seems like he started his career with a sophmore slump .... sometimes it seems like he is too prone to believing his speed will always get him past a tackler. One of the thinks I love about Fred Jackson is that while he does not have Spiller's speed he has an uncanny ability to make tacklers partially then fully miss him. Somehow he just does not let guys get a a grip on him to make the tackle. I know CJ has to have his own style but he could learn a great deal from FJ.

Edited by BuffaloBill

Spiller seems like he started his career with a sophmore slump .... sometimes it seems like he is too prone to believing his speed will always get him past a tackler. One of the thinks I love about Fred Jackson is that while he does not have Siller's spped he has an uncanny ability to make tacklers partially then fully miss him. Somehow he just does not let guys get a a grip on him to make the tackle. I know CJ has to have his own style but he could learn a great deal from FJ.

Yup. Fred is the master at the One or Two Cut move...no wasted motion. He just finds the seam, plants his foot and cuts...if he makes it past the LB's he usually does a 2nd cut, but its not a juke move. He's very decisive like Maurice Jones-Drew. Yes, CJ has to learn this or he will have a 3.0 ypc career.

Of course we're both experts on the matter, so let's just agree to disagree.

You can disagree all you want. But regardless of what you think about it, it is his job to read the field while McKelvin tracks the ball. So you're welcome to your opinion, but it's an inaccurate one based on a lack of information.

You can disagree all you want. But regardless of what you think about it, it is his job to read the field while McKelvin tracks the ball.

Assuming that's the case, and my supposition most certainly does, D Jones's "field reads" yield an in inordinately high number of surrenders. So, I stick by my initial call: "get out there and block, boy!"

Did you guys notice the penalty for using an illegal wedge against Cincy. The Bills had a couple of great years when it was still legal. After the NFL made it illegal, we have been struggling to get great field position from kick returns. McKelvin is consistently doing pretty well, but Spiller has been kind of hot and cold. Spiller I think though is just taking a little time to develop both as a RB and a returner. JMO.