looks like Merriman may indeed be out for the season

dave mcbride

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you saw the local TV coverage of his 'injury' in what would be a very light pre-jog work out for anyone else it does make you question what is going on? How could he pass physicals, travel to Buffalo, walk up and down stairs and then get injured so badly with that slight sideways movement. Something smells like the fish at the Broadway Market!!!!!!!!!!!

If you saw the local TV coverage of his 'injury' in what would be a very light pre-jog work out for anyone else it does make you question what is going on? How could he pass physicals, travel to Buffalo, walk up and down stairs and then get injured so badly with that slight sideways movement. Something smells like the fish at the Broadway Market!!!!!!!!!!!

I tore an ACL walking down the street. Just stepped the wrong way in a small hole in the sidewalk.

Also, I sprained my ankle while lying on the couch watching football. It was a sports-related injury!

Edited by The Dean

I tore an ACL walking down the street. Just stepped the wrong way in a small hole in the sidewalk.

Also, I sprained my ankle while lying on the couch watching football. It was a sports-related injury!

This was the re-injury at his first practice. Come-on man. Did you see it on the local news? If you did you'd be embarassed to cover for this guy! It looked fake, felt fake and if you listen closely to Chan you can tell what he thinks about the whole deal!

This was the re-injury at his first practice. Come-on man. Did you see it on the local news? If you did you'd be embarassed to cover for this guy! It looked fake, felt fake and if you listen closely to Chan you can tell what he thinks about the whole deal!

No I wasn't covering for him. I'm just saying, you can be injured doing most anything. Nothing worse than some Internet douche accusing a player of faking it.

Maybe someone with a medical background could offer some insight? How obvious are problems like this when you give someone a physical?

PTR

I would have to think fairly obvious when giving a thorough one. Could be a false assumption but I'd find it mind boggling if an MRI, xray, etc in the lower leg area didn't occur.

It really makes you wonder if he's milking this - out of the playoffs, why risk injury... Get strong and work out privately with teams in the offseason.

No I wasn't covering for him. I'm just saying, you can be injured doing most anything. Nothing worse than some Internet douche accusing a player of faking it.

I asked a question - did you see the video of his "re-injury" at his first practice here???????? Obviously the Bills have done all the X-rays, MRI's etc. since that time and nothing has come up. He's just going through re-hab at OBD as in the whirl-pool. Sad man - Sad.

I asked a question - did you see the video of his "re-injury" at his first practice here???????? Obviously the Bills have done all the X-rays, MRI's etc. since that time and nothing has come up. He's just going through re-hab at OBD as in the whirl-pool. Sad man - Sad.

Sorry, I forgot to answer the question. No I didn't see it. But I wouldn't likely draw that negative a conclusion about someone no matter what it might have looked like to me. As I said, it can happen while simply walking.

I'm not saying there is no possibility he is faking it. But he'd have to be a royal POS with about zero football heart, to sit if he could play. I just don't think there are very many guys like that playing football. I certainly wouldn't assume someone is like that simply because I can't tell how they were injured.

It is the kind of injury that could just happen after feeling good for weeks. I will give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. I read that some people have it and do all the stuff they need and then one time they move funny and bing it is F'ed up again. I don't care about Ralph's money and we have no cap. If we get him back in a healthy state at some point it will be worth checking out if he has "it" still, if not it is no skin of my back.

I seriously think he must be injured because if he could be out there and he is dogging it he would be just plain stupid in terms of next years dollars.

What on Earth would the incentive be for keeping him? He sustained a season-ending injury fifteen minutes into a practice.

maybe he would factor into a compensatory pick or some such. i really don't know unless they plan on signing him and want him to soak up the defense. not sure who the bills are set to lose this year in free agency. probably nobody that would factor into a third or fourth round comp pick though.

the pickup seems like it was a roll of the dice that came up bad, but without more information it is hard to say for sure.

according to kffl we have stroud, mccargo, mcintyre, poz, and florence coming up in free agency. merriman adds to that. though i thought mcintyre signed an extension. i reckon we keep poz and maybe florence. so we lose a few, sign a few. probably not a comp pick deal then. back to the rolling the dice theory.

Edited by billsintaiwan

Not definite, but it doesn't look promising:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/

Just another brilliant move by this clueless front office in the short time they have been here. They would have been better off giving the million and a half or whatever it was to charity. Would expect nothing less from these bunch of Bozos that Ralphie hired.

Maybe someone with a medical background could offer some insight? How obvious are problems like this when you give someone a physical?

PTR

I'm sure NFL player physicals are much different than our routine physicals. For instance, I've heard that every NFL player gets a baseline brain MRI. That is definitely not routine.

Regardless, this is def no big loss. What did people really expect? He hasn't played like his former self in 3 years, why all the sudden would he being Lights Out again for the 2nd half the 2010 season for the Bills? I'm sure the Bills just picked him up for the comp pick they'll receive when he leaves them. Which will likely turn out to be a 6th round pick. It is were the *Pats, a 4th round pick.

Just another brilliant move by this clueless front office in the short time they have been here. They would have been better off giving the million and a half or whatever it was to charity. Would expect nothing less from these bunch of Bozos that Ralphie hired.

Ralph loosing 1.7 million is no big deal for anyone. Who the hell cares about Ralph money (besides Littman)? I could see if we were cap-strapped, but we're not. Losing this money means nothing. We likely just bought ourselves an extra comp pick.

Edited by kas23

Who cares, they paid him 1.7 million in a non capped year. That nothing for an NFL team. Maybe it's the bills who are not clearing him to play? They might figure the less snaps he gets the less likely he is to generate attention in the open market. This talk about OTA, etc does mean much because if he is not under contract, he won't be at any OTA's or mini camps. It nice we own the rights to him, but who knows what the new CBA will bring.

Gotta agree, he didn't want to take a chance in really injuring himself, so he mailed it in 15 minutes into

his first practice. It might have been a little more believable had he done it a week or so into practice,

this just smells bad. We got suckered. There ought to be a law against this kind of scam.

What on Earth would the incentive be for keeping him? He sustained a season-ending injury fifteen minutes into a practice.

The incentive is TONS of potential upside, very little potential down side. At this point, $1.5 million gambles for a single season (BTW do not expect Merriman to get ANY offers close to that if he doesn't play the rest of this season..) are exactly the kinds of X-factor moves the Bills need to be making. If he returns next season at even 80% of his previous form, he would be a major acquisition for us. If he never plays a down for the Bills, we have lost virtually nothing (that 1.5 mil isn't going to win us any more games this year...). It is more than worth the risk.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

Spoken by the same person who complains the Bills don't sign every cast off reject that comes down the pike.

PTR