Lee Evans to Vanilla for me !

Is it just me or does Lee Evans seems to get lost during the games ? Sure he always seems to have 1 catch for about 50 yards then , its like he goes and has a few beers and we don't see him again for 3 quarters until he makes a 3 yard catch for a first down. Personally I don't see him as a leader of the Bills just a guy who takes what the team gives him and he seems passionless. He is Vanilla ice cream, a beige suit, nothing to get excited about.

Does he ever get excited about anything ???? I wish someone would get in his face !

Edited by Philhansonfan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been hard on Lee Evans in the past. He is a only a fly-route runner in my eyes, however I am going to take what Steve Johnson says to heart. Perhaps SJ is getting so open because coverage is being rolled over to Lee on almost every play. If Lee is drawing double-teams on a consistent basis, then I think he is doing all that can be asked for him. What will be interesting is to see how the Steelers prepare for this game. Do they now focus on Johnson leaving Lee matched up 1 on 1? And if so, does Lee begin to become "relevant" in the offense again? Time will tell, but for now, I am apt to give Lee the benefit of the doubt because we are putting points up.

I know it's usually silly to bring up one example to characterize a player's overall ability, BUT the one interception that was thrown Evans way I believe somewhat sums it up for me.

First, it was one on one coverage with the DB. Second, he wasn't able to create any separation between him and the DB. Third, the DB knew that he was going to curl for that route before Evans did. Fourth, when the ball was thrown, Evans didn't come back to the ball, where he should of at least fought for it.

Having said that, I still believe he is a top tier #2 Wr and without a doubt he does take safetys along with him, because they HAVE to cover the possibility of him going on a deep fly route. BUT at an average salary of $9 Million a year, I think he is a wee bit overpriced for being a decoy.

Catching a 50 yarder early in the game is a good way to get a defenses attention.

I'm sure they start to double him after that.

No doubt Fitz is comfortable throwing to Stevie but that should not be a knock on Evans who I feel is a good route runner, very fast and with good hands.

For whatever reason he has not been a feature receiver since the hallowed Losman years.

I know it's usually silly to bring up one example to characterize a player's overall ability, BUT the one interception that was thrown Evans way I believe somewhat sums it up for me.

First, it was one on one coverage with the DB. Second, he wasn't able to create any separation between him and the DB. Third, the DB knew that he was going to curl for that route before Evans did. Fourth, when the ball was thrown, Evans didn't come back to the ball, where he should of at least fought for it.

Having said that, I still believe he is a top tier #2 Wr and without a doubt he does take safetys along with him, because they HAVE to cover the possibility of him going on a deep fly route. BUT at an average salary of $9 Million a year, I think he is a wee bit overpriced for being a decoy.

IMO on that play, Fitz basically lofted it. He had time, and usually he steps into that throw and guns it, like he should. Always, on an out like that. That pass he just assumed Evans was more open than he was (I can only assume) because he didn't step into the throw and fire it. He just threw it. If he fires that ball, it's not an INT.

The problem with Lee is that defenses know what he IS capable of and have plenty of film on the routes he is best at and everything else. So the coverage shift is always going to locate lee evans on the field. Look what happens when they don't. Fitzy is definitely NOT afraid to throw the long ball so teams are going to take that away first which benefits SJ and the slot receiver. I am sure after a few more games like this and we will see Lee Evans get more involved as the coverages might start shifting over to SJ. Just MHO.

Catching a 50 yarder early in the game is a good way to get a defenses attention.

I'm sure they start to double him after that.

No doubt Fitz is comfortable throwing to Stevie but that should not be a knock on Evans who I feel is a good route runner, very fast and with good hands.

For whatever reason he has not been a feature receiver since the hallowed Losman years.

Lee caught two passes, I think it was Stevie who caught their attention

The problem with Lee is that defenses know what he IS capable of and have plenty of film on the routes he is best at and everything else. So the coverage shift is always going to locate lee evans on the field. Look what happens when they don't. Fitzy is definitely NOT afraid to throw the long ball so teams are going to take that away first which benefits SJ and the slot receiver. I am sure after a few more games like this and we will see Lee Evans get more involved as the coverages might start shifting over to SJ. Just MHO.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Lee will suddenly start playing in a few more games. In a few more games Lee will be watching the playoffs. I bet Lee has a real good game week 16 against a team that has already clinched.

Is it just me or does Lee Evans seems to get lost during the games ? Sure he always seems to have 1 catch for about 50 yards then , its like he goes and has a few beers and we don't see him again for 3 quarters until he makes a 3 yard catch for a first down. Personally I don't see him as a leader of the Bills just a guy who takes what the team gives him and he seems passionless. He is Vanilla ice cream, a beige suit, nothing to get excited about.

Does he ever get excited about anything ???? I wish someone would get in his face !

Evans would have had 5 or 6 catches if Fitz threw the ball anywhere into his vicinity. The first half, Fitz was as bad or worse than Edwards or Losman had ever been. Also, withouth Evans there getting double teamed all day, Johnson doesn't have the big games, with single coverage, that he has been having. Evans did one thing that T.O. never does, after Fitz terrible pass that was intercepted, Evans first reaction was to go after the defender and push him out of bounds, where as T.O. would just stand there with his hands up in the air whining.

Edited by billsfreak

Ok Bills fans, no need to bash one guy because another player at the same position is playing well.

Evans has been solid, and is our only "known" threat. At least until the past couple of weeks.

Straight from the mouth of both Chan and Johnson, the reason SJ is getting so open is because teams are doubling Lee and rolling coverage towards him.

No one needs to "get in Lee's face". And he doesnt need to be a RA RA sideline cheerleader. Individual players have different personalities and playing styles. Lee has always been quiet and a leader by example. He is fine. The WRs are fine (or rather BETTER than fine). Let's just be happy.

Actually, Evans did create a little separation, but it was a terrible pass, and that Int was all on Fitz, and his reaction afterwards even said so. He threw at least 3 passes sunday towards Evans, that were such bad passes, that it wouldn't have surprised me if Brohm started warming up.

IMO on that play, Fitz basically lofted it. He had time, and usually he steps into that throw and guns it, like he should. Always, on an out like that. That pass he just assumed Evans was more open than he was (I can only assume) because he didn't step into the throw and fire it. He just threw it. If he fires that ball, it's not an INT.

He could of fired it in there with more conviction, and if he did, maybe it doesn't turn out to be an INT, but on that particular play Evans didn't come back to the ball and if he attempted to do so that play may very well have turned out differently. He didn't even attempt to come back, it's one thing if he did and the ball was picked off, but that wasn't the case. And this isn't the first time where he has been accused of not going after the ball.

Also, I understand that DB's are paying more attention to him, but there are plenty of #1 WR's that find ways of getting the ball. He's getting payed $9 Mill a year, is his amazing ability to decoy opposing DB's worth his salary?

He has tremendous speed, great hands and an incredible burst, but he doesn't look that fluid. You look at Stevie and the guy is as fluid as they come, he creates separation with the opposing DB, whereas Evans struggles to do the same.

steve johnson's numbers don't exist without evans on the field. Evans takes away ALL coverage from Johnson. Evans stats may not light up the stat sheet, but having him on the field helps our other WR's. Tough to make plays when you have 2 or more guys keying you all game long!

He could of fired it in there with more conviction, and if he did, maybe it doesn't turn out to be an INT, but on that particular play Evans didn't come back to the ball and if he attempted to do so that play may very well have turned out differently. He didn't even attempt to come back, it's one thing if he did and the ball was picked off, but that wasn't the case. And this isn't the first time where he has been accused of not going after the ball.

Also, I understand that DB's are paying more attention to him, but there are plenty of #1 WR's that find ways of getting the ball. He's getting payed $9 Mill a year, is his amazing ability to decoy opposing DB's worth his salary?

He has tremendous speed, great hands and an incredible burst, but he doesn't look that fluid. You look at Stevie and the guy is as fluid as they come, he creates separation with the opposing DB, whereas Evans struggles to do the same.

GENIUSES- it was a comeback, which means you actually DONT comeback to the ball,but you go towards the sideline and slightly back toward the endzone. the route is actually a 90 degree angle from the QB, Its not a HOOK where you would go straight back to the qb. While true that Evans did not change his route to a hook in the .2 seconds he had to see the bad pass because no one could have. Fitz underthrew the pass and I saw it when it left his hand how slow the ball looked. fitz also should never have thrown it since the db was sitting on the route.

More morons blaming Evans for poor production and now INTs???? um its called pulling double coverage and bad reads by the qb and stevie gets the other teams 2nd CB and runs his routes in areas cleared out by the other receiver and tight end. If Evans was worse than stevie, hed actually get those balls and look better than he does. YOu guys who start these threads im sure are the same people who said it wasnt Trents fault and that it was the oline. Where is that debate now? Why our we scoring 4 tds a game with basically 4 of the same 5 olineman as last year.???

You are 100% correct on that INT. That is typical of Evans and so frustrating at the same time. The guy has a lot of talent and can be an all round WR. Until he runs routes over the middle and comes back to the ball and fights for the ball, he will never be in the same league as Andre Reed or Eric Moulds.

I noticed during the Steelers game (which I turned to during a commercial), they commented that Tomlin needles Wallace by calling him a "one trick pony" to try to get more out of him. That aptly describes Lee Evans.