Roll Call - Who would have preferred to lose?

The Senator

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No F-ing way...while we may have lost draft status...we, fans, got some instant gratification.....

Now's your chance to explain, once again, why The Bills (and their fans) should have preferred a loss today.

Anyone? Anyone at all? Fall in and sound off...

The best predictor of winning next year is winning this year. don't believe me? Compare the records of teams in year A and compare them to year B. Does winning in year A correlate better with wining in year B, or does losing enough to get the #1 or #2 draft pick correlate better with winning in year B? What about year C?

If you don't think the Bills are smart enough to find an impact player at #2, #4, #9, #10, etc, what makes you think they will make the right decision at #1. The "lose to get a better draft pick" crowd is made up (I believe) of people who have essentially given up. People with no hope. People who lack vision.

I think your blanket statements of folks that believe a win today puts this teams future at risk is shortsighted and irresponsible. I obviously am one of the fans that believe this loss could have potentially risked the future of the franchise.

The question isn't whether the Bills can't make the right decision picking #1 versus further down, arbitrarily. It's solely about Andrew Luck. Some of us feel that risking the opportunity to draft this young man is potentially drastic. Now can we say for sure? Of course not, but that's the reason for the stance and it's our opinion. Doesn't mean we've given up, have no hope, or have no vision. It actually takes a person with more vision to feel this way, cause it was tough to fight feelings of joy today. This team put on one hell of a show. I found myself caught in a dichotomy, wanting the team to do well, but knowing what it was potentially doing to our future.

I think your blanket statements of folks that believe a win today puts this teams future at risk is shortsighted and irresponsible. I obviously am one of the fans that believe this loss could have potentially risked the future of the franchise.

The question isn't whether the Bills can't make the right decision picking #1 versus further down, arbitrarily. It's solely about Andrew Luck. Some of us feel that risking the opportunity to draft this young man is potentially drastic. Now can we say for sure? Of course not, but that's the reason for the stance and it's our opinion. Doesn't mean we've given up, have no hope, or have no vision. It actually takes a person with more vision to feel this way, cause it was tough to fight feelings of joy today. This team put on one hell of a show. I found myself caught in a dichotomy, wanting the team to do well, but knowing what it was potentially doing to our future.

Luck may not even come out this year. Losing to perhaps be in a position to take a guy that might come out, is a piss-poor strategy and reflects the mindset of someone who has given up. Has no hope. Lacks vision.

Really????????????????? that's all you're concerned about? Why bother watching then? I enjoy watching games and winning. I guess we are very different.

\\

It is the result of watching a decade of mostly bad football. Some Bills fans are married to the idea that you can only win in the off-season...hats off to Chan Gailey...I was not a huge fan of his hire, but he has put his stamp on this team, offensively, anyhow, and transformed them from being truly awful, to truly entertaining...and it was done with mostly the same cast of players we have been watching the last 3-4 years...great win...anyone who wants their team to lose, no matter the circumstances, has really lost sight of the game...

THEN and ONLY then will the minds be swayed from wanting to lose to GREAT victory.

Not among true and rational fans who want the team to win EVERY week, no matter who the competition. We don't need to wait for any specific victory to be happy with a victory.

Never said he was. I said winning hurts your "draft position."

So what? You really want to perpetuate, and potentially deepen, the culture of losing in order to draft ONE GUY who could get his knee wrecked in training camp? Then where are you?

So they get the first pick, but the rest of the team is still a bunch of miserable losers who don't know how to win and don't want to be there. How do you turn that ship on a dime? You finish strong and some decent free agents might consider coming.

I don't know, but in any other business, purposefully trying to not win is a serious integrity issue. But a lot of people these days don't know what that word means anymore, I guess.

OK, so I'm pretty sure that's a lampoon of...oh never mind.

Anyway - if it is, it's a pretty damned good one (and damn funny) - if it isn't, my apologies.

Not among true and rational fans who want the team to win EVERY week, no matter who the competition. We don't need to wait for any specific victory to be happy with a victory.

Amen, Dean

Luck may not even come out this year. Losing to perhaps be in a position to take a guy that might come out, is a piss-poor strategy and reflects the mindset of someone who has given up. Has no hope. Lacks vision.

Not when he uses words like potentially. I never said this was the end all, I said it potentially puts our future at risk IF you believe Luck is that special. Of course non of us know for sure he's coming out or if he will be what we think he will. For all I know it may be a blessing in disguise and we draft Mallett for example and have 15 years of happy times. Don't be so closed minded just because someone disagrees with you, which is your forte by the way. You don't respect anyone's opinion. Very visionary of you Bean.

I'm just saying I would prefer a position of power to draft the QB of our choice in lieu of a win. It's my opinion. Doesn't mean I believe our future is determined or dead. It would do you some good to not be so hopeless about having an opportunity at drafting the QB of our choice.

So, tomorrow wins are more important than today wins; I don't think so!

Luck, truck, schmuck...who knows what tomorrow brings? Win 'em all, establish a winning attitude, find out who has heart and who needs to be sent on down the road; then, next year, draft the best of the players we need and go from there.

Not when he uses words like potentially. I never said this was the end all, I said it potentially puts our future at risk IF you believe Luck is that special. Of course non of us know for sure he's coming out or if he will be what we think he will. For all I know it may be a blessing in disguise and we draft Mallett for example and have 15 years of happy times. Don't be so closed minded just because someone disagrees with you, which is your forte by the way. You don't respect anyone's opinion. Very visionary of you Bean.

I'm just saying I would prefer a position of power to draft the QB of our choice in lieu of a win. It's my opinion. Doesn't mean I believe our future is determined or dead. It would do you some good to not be so hopeless about having an opportunity at drafting the QB of our choice.

IMO the battle for Luck was lost when the Lions failed their two-point conversion last week. Carolina is really, really awful and I don't think the Bills could keep pace with them in a loss competition. And based on everything I've been reading about the top college players there isn't really that great a disadvantage to picking #5 as opposed to #2. Lots of guys with big question marks.