Roll Call - Who would have preferred to lose?

The Senator

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is your opinion, I respect that.

The lengths some of you go to attempt to take a statement made by a fan out of context in an effort to support your view is absurd.

Who is talking about the Head Coach telling his players to tank?

You did: "I think of things in simple terms, wins are useless for this team this season. Tank it, get as high a pick as you can and trade down in order to pick up more quality draft picks."

How do you expect to "tank it" if the players aren't involved? This, I gotta hear.

The lengths some of you go to attempt to take a statement made by a fan out of context in an effort to support your view is absurd.

Who is talking about the Head Coach telling his players to tank? I am rooting for it as a fan knowing full well the time frame we are looking at if we continue to hover in the middle of the pack.

Reality is what it is. We had back to back 2 and 14 seasons in the run up to the 4 Super Bowl appearances. To attempt to pretend that didn't happen is what is absurd.

Those teams didn't tank games, they played all out. They stunk. You specifically mentioned tanking and judging by your context, it sounds like you want the team to plan to lose on purpose.

Tank it, get as high a pick as you can and trade down in order to pick up more quality draft picks. Skeptics say it can't be done, I say it can and should be done.

What did you really mean?

So you are saying thayt we should expect the Lions to have about a 10-12 year run where they are in every super bowl? Given the amount of high picks they've had, that must be the future outcome for them (given your lahjik)

I can't speak on the scouting dept. for the Lions. They've had thier opportunities to draft the appropriate personnel, they failed.

I don't see the Bills as the Lions, but, according to your (lahjik) we should mirror thier failures?

Complete nonsense.

Those teams didn't tank games, they played all out. They stunk. You specifically mentioned tanking and judging by your context, it sounds like you want the team to plan to lose on purpose.

What did you really mean?

I am merely hoping for it as a fan. Not telling the team to do it. Two entirely seperate issues all together. (which, as a fan, is what I am afforded, the abiliy to speak my mind without any of the responsibility of putting a sellable product on the field every season).

Lets all nit pick over the tank it comment, but completely ignore the statement on the reality of what its going to take to accelarete the teams ability to become competitive once again. :doh:

I can't speak on the scouting dept. for the Lions. They've had thier opportunities to draft the appropriate personnel, they failed.

I don't see the Bills as the Lions, but, according to your (lahjik) we should mirror thier failures?

Complete nonsense.

I am merely hoping for it as a fan. Not telling the team to do it. Two entirely seperate issues all together. (which, as a fan, is what I am afforded, the abiliy to speak my mind without any of the responsibility of putting a sellable product on the field every season).

Lucky you.

Today's come back reminds me of the AFC playoffs in 1993 when the Bills came back and beat the Houston Oilers.

Then, the Bills actually had to play a real team in the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Result: 52-17.

Have to admit this is really a bizarre posting ... the Bills were a real team; they were the best in the AFC; and it just happened that on that one Sunday they were not ready for the Cowboys. I continue to express pride in the reality that the Buffalo Bills may very well be the only team that ever wins four consecutive Conference titles because in the era of free agency and parity I doubt another team every will.

But, come on ... celebrate this win! We have won two in a row versus "real" teams that compete in the NFL ... now the challenge is Pittsburgh!

This game kinda died for me when I saw Fitz throw 3 picks to start the game (one of which was called back on a penalty). Even if they did mount a comeback (which they did), it cemented in my mind that Fitz is not the answer at QB and that we need a change at this position for next season.

What concerns me is not draft position, rather it's the fact that we are beating up on horrible teams and losing games to teams that are respectable. It gives a false sense of security that the team is not as bad as it really is (i.e. false hope). Remember 5-1 not too long ago? That team beat up on Seattle (4-12), Jacksonville (5-11), Oakland (5-11), St. Louis (2-14), and San Diego (8-8). Ended up getting pounded by Super Bowl contender Arizona in the infamous Trent concussion game.

Perhaps I've been a Bills fan too long and am just used to disappointment, but while it's good to beat two teams with a combined record of 4-16, let's not get too carried away. Let's see how well they fare against the Steelers, Patriots, and Jets.

Who is talking about the Head Coach telling his players to tank? I am rooting for it as a fan knowing full well the time frame we are looking at if we continue to hover in the middle of the pack.

Reality is what it is. We had back to back 2 and 14 seasons in the run up to the 4 Super Bowl appearances. To attempt to pretend that didn't happen is what is absurd.

But after those seasons, it took 5 years to make it to the Super Bowl. Are you prepared to wait 5 years to be a serious contender? Or will you be hoping they tank it in about 3 more years when they're not quite there yet and the new franchise QB is looking about average and the stud DE is looking overweight in camp.

At what point do you just start hoping they win every week and forget about trying to win the draft?

This game kinda died for me when I saw Fitz throw 3 picks to start the game (one of which was called back on a penalty). Even if they did mount a comeback (which they did), it cemented in my mind that Fitz is not the answer at QB and that we need a change at this position for next season.

What concerns me is not draft position, rather it's the fact that we are beating up on horrible teams and losing games to teams that are respectable. It gives a false sense of security that the team is not as bad as it really is (i.e. false hope). Remember 5-1 not too long ago? That team beat up on Seattle (4-12), Jacksonville (5-11), Oakland (5-11), St. Louis (2-14), and San Diego (8-8). Ended up getting pounded by Super Bowl contender Arizona in the infamous Trent concussion game.

Perhaps I've been a Bills fan too long and am just used to disappointment, but while it's good to beat two teams with a combined record of 4-16, let's not get too carried away. Let's see how well they fare against the Steelers, Patriots, and Jets.

I agree. Do you want them to lose those games in the hopes of getting a higher draft pick, or win them? If you really don't want the Bills to beat those teams, I give up.

But after those seasons, it took 5 years to make it to the Super Bowl. Are you prepared to wait 5 years to be a serious contender? Or will you be hoping they tank it in about 3 more years when they're not quite there yet and the new franchise QB is looking about average and the stud DE is looking overweight in camp.

At what point do you just start hoping they win every week and forget about trying to win the draft?

Good question.

I am hoping after next season they start to show a 9-7 or better record.

I didn't even bring up the 4-12 season following those 2-14 seasons. And you are correct, it took 5 more years after those seasons.

I am just of the opinion that getting a high pick, trading down to garner more picks in the first 3 rounds accelerates that process.

Does this mean I am actively infront of the TV rooting on the opposition? No, I still cheer when the Bills score and get happy when they win, anyone would. I just want the playoffs again and I want the fastest route we could take to get them back there, hence my opinion.

So what gives you the right to determine who and who are not fans. I guess since my family is one of the few original season ticket holders, it means I am no longer longer a fan since I would have preferred a franchise QB who was within our sights a few weeks ago. Now that Luck is out of the picture, I would love to win every game. Maybe there still some people who want to lose because they think we can still get luck - I know I won't pass any judgment on those people as to if they are fans or not. Give it a freakin' rest.

My point, worded more succinctly.

i would still love to be able to draft luck so in a way i would have preferred a loss

but this team is showing strong signs that it is both well coached and falling into their systems. even the defense, which has been hampered all season with bad lbs and a mostly out of position dline, is playing very solid even though their front seven still is not the configuration you want - which to me shows they are playing fundamentally and functioning much more as a unit. the frequent switch bad to the 4-3 helps a lot too

contrast that with how carolina is playing and the only way this bills team outloses them now (even before todays game) would be a total and stunning reversal of progress theyve made. other than a string of key and unending injuries it seems impossible these bills could play consistently horrendous enough to overtake carolina

so other than against the cheats/jets i will still hope the bills play hard, make some great plays, take it down to the wire, almost win, and then dont. theyve still made and probably will still continue to make great progress regardless of record so all things considered id rather have as many one-more-slot-higher draft picks we can get

theyll probably end up with three or four wins which is the 2-5 pick anyway. you should get a blue chipper somewhere in there so as long as they dont pull off too many wins they should be fine regardless

Now's your chance to explain, once again, why The Bills (and their fans) should have preferred a loss today.

Anyone? Anyone at all? Fall in and sound off...

Loved the win. Missed the game due to business travel but loved the win anytime and anywhere.

Anyone who thinks losing will help us by giving us a "better draft pick" have not watched football for very long.

Now's your chance to explain, once again, why The Bills (and their fans) should have preferred a loss today.

Anyone? Anyone at all? Fall in and sound off...

I had the game on my car radio all afternoon while doing a few chores and enjoying a nice weather day in central Ohio. Play by play man Murphy said it right that it is about winning games, not getting draft positioning. Darn near shed a few tears when I heard that. Then, the battery in my car was dead to the bone when I went to drive it into the garage. Might have been the most expensive game I ever listened to.

JOB WELL DONE BOYS!! Keep working hard.

Regardless of what side of the fence people are on, you cannot deny that this only means good things from here on out as far as building a successful mentality...

"It was awesome," Fitzpatrick said. "Everybody believed the whole game. This was a big win for us. Once you get that first one, everything falls into place."

I agree. Do you want them to lose those games in the hopes of getting a higher draft pick, or win them? If you really don't want the Bills to beat those teams, I give up.

If they can beat the Steelers, Patriots, or Jets, yes, I will be thrilled. I'm sorry but it's hard for me to get excited when they beat the Lions or when our QB is throwing pick-sixes to Cincinnati and wins the game. For us, beating the Pats is like ace-ing the SATs. Beating Cincinnati is like filling in your name on the score sheet - we haven't been defeated by them in over 20 years.

Regardless of what side of the fence people are on, you cannot deny that this only means good things from here on out as far as building a successful mentality...

"It was awesome," Fitzpatrick said. "Everybody believed the whole game. This was a big win for us. Once you get that first one, everything falls into place."

Success breeds success.

If they can beat the Steelers, Patriots, or Jets, yes, I will be thrilled. I'm sorry but it's hard for me to get excited when they beat the Lions or when our QB is throwing pick-sixes to Cincinnati and wins the game. For us, beating the Pats is like ace-ing the SATs. Beating Cincinnati is like filling in your name on the score sheet - we haven't been defeated by them in over 20 years.

You have to write your name on the score sheet before you can ace the exam. Ya gotta start somewhere.

I was more heartened by the fact they came back from 21 points down on the road, than the fact they beat another crappy team. THAT is cause for at least a little optimism, isn't it?