I don't think we need to use a high pick for LT.

gjv001

Bell has had a solid season thus far. He appears to be on a path to become one of the premier LT's in the league. As far as the o-line is concerned, we would improve by getting upgrades at center, left guard, and right tackle.

Bell has had a solid season thus far. He appears to be on a path to become one of the premier LT's in the league. As far as the o-line is concerned, we would improve by getting upgrades at center, left guard, and right tackle.

I wouldnt say hes "On his way to becoming a premiere LT" at all, but has shown improvement. That said, we absolutely should use a top 3 pick on a tackle, for depth reasons as much as anything.

I find it laughable when I still read a post here and there when a poster will just randomly yell.... "if Luck ain't there just draft a LT". 1st, there are no top 10 worthy LT's coming out this year anyways, and 2nd LT is far from this teams biggest need. This is coming from a guy who has bashed Bell as much as anyone on this board. Yes, I'm willing to accept I was in the wrong somewhat. Anyways, in order of weakness/importance the teams biggest needs are OLB, QB (a real one, though I love Fitz as a backup), RT, and TE. As to O-line, RT, not LT, is by far this teams biggest weakness.

I wouldnt say hes "On his way to becoming a premiere LT" at all, but has shown improvement. That said, we absolutely should use a top 3 pick on a tackle, for depth reasons as much as anything.

By top 3, do you mean first 3 rounds? Or the actual top 3 pick? I'm not opposed to the former, and I'd be shocked by the latter, given the dearth of elite OT talent in this year's draft. I agree with the OP, Demetrius Bell has been playing adequately enough to warrant filling other needs.

It's really interesting that for the longest time the Bills' greatest issue was at O-line. While this was a legitimate problem, I believe that not enough criticism came Trent Edwards' way for not giving his O-line a chance to adequately form a pocket (yes, Edwards was even worse than we thought). Along with his frequency of checking down, Edwards had very bad pocket awareness; if I were on the Bills OL, I would hate to be protecting for the guy simply because he would never be in the right position to let his blockers develop around him.

Honestly, I would hope the Bills focus on the D-line rather than the O-line in this year's draft. Marcell Dareus is a stud lineman and would be a significant boost for this defense. My ideal draft is Dareus, Kyle Rudolph, and Sam Acho in the first 3 rounds, but I'm going out on a limb here to say that I'm in the minority with all the Andrew Luck lathering.

Honestly, I would hope the Bills focus on the D-line rather than the O-line in this year's draft. Marcell Dareus is a stud lineman and would be a significant boost for this defense. My ideal draft is Dareus, Kyle Rudolph, and Sam Acho in the first 3 rounds, but I'm going out on a limb here to say that I'm in the minority with all the Andrew Luck lathering.

Amen - QB and DL followed by LB's are the top needs IMO. I don't see them taking a LB in round 1 especially a top 5 pick so one of the other two needs must be addressed.

Amen - QB and DL followed by LB's are the top needs IMO. I don't see them taking a LB in round 1 especially a top 5 pick so one of the other two needs must be addressed.

I am completely bewildered by anyone who thinks we need a DL more than an OLB. That is just nuts. And oh, by the way, we just spent last year's 2nd and 3rd round picks on a DE and DT. Are you already calling them busts nine games into their careers?

OLB is THE #1 need on this team. There is no close second. Our OLB's are a joke.

The 2nd need is either TE or QB depending on how Fitz looks after a full season.

We need a Pass rusher ! A Right Tackle, A Qb, and LB's

And if we're still playing a 3-4, then pass rusher == OLB

Edited by BobChalmers

It all depends who is available you simply have to take the best player available that can impact the franchise in the biggest way. If its a LT to protect Fitz, a can't miss Pass rusher, or depending on how Fitz finishes the season a franchise QB all you have to do is get the guy that can fill his role most easily.

I am completely bewildered by anyone who thinks we need a DL more than an OLB. That is just nuts. And oh, by the way, we just spent last year's 2nd and 3rd round picks on a DE and DT. Are you already calling them busts nine games into their careers?

OLB is THE #1 need on this team. There is no close second. Our OLB's are a joke.

The 2nd need is either TE or QB depending on how Fitz looks after a full season.

Thank you! Pass rush in a 3-4 is generated from the OLB position. Ours are terrible. We need 2 OLBs and a DE. The Defensive front 7 is weak because our LBs consistently get caught up on the line and don't generate a pass rush. Also, our ILBs need to do a much better job stuffing the run. I haven't been very impressed with Dwan Edwards this year so we could definitely use at least one DE, but not before round 3 IMO. If Luck is gone I would prefer they go OLB, QB, DE, RT

If we actually draw a #1-3 pick in the first round, we would be dumb not to take a QB. I would encourage them to take an LT high in the draft and save for an ILB or OLB at the start of the second round. LBs are rarely worth a high draft spot, see Maybin, because they are too hit and miss. Whoever plays QB next season deserves better protection than Bell or whomever else we have. It only takes one injury at LT to kill our depth chart at the position.

Yes, our LBs suck to say the least. But, all things being equal, you take a blue chip DE before a blue chip LB. A dominant DE allows you to do more things with your personel.

Again, that's all things being equal. If there's a Taylor or Bennett out there at OLB by all means, take him and plug him in. But if they have a DE rated higher when it's their turn to pick, they'll jump on 'em.

GO BILLS!!!

and 2nd LT is far from this teams biggest need.

Draft inferior players for need and you will ensure that you have mediocrity and more needs.

Draft the best football players you can and you will have the best football team you can.

There are some exceptions to this (franchise QB yes, if BPA is a running back this year, don't do it, and we probably don't need a punter), but for receivers, lines, linebackers, secondary, I think the best player available is the only way to go. When it comes down to a close toss up, I would be happy to take the DE over the DB based on "need".

But given that players don't step in immediately and dominate (although top picks should and it would be nice if it happened more often), planning out the later rounds based on need is silly. We needed a nose tackle and picked Troup...but he isn't the one filling our nose tackle need. We needed pass rushing and picked Carrington, but again, not filling that need right now. If better football players were available at either of those picks, we would have been better served getting them, because to build a good team you string together draft after draft of getting the most football production over the 5-6 years you expect to have a guy. If you settle for 80% as good but at a more important position at the moment over and over, you will end up with a lot of 80% as good players on your team, and five years down the road will not be as talented a football team.

Okay, that is all the BPA > Need ranting I can do today. I say we just see who the best football player there is available at #3 or wherever we pick, and bring position and what we think we need into it only if there are two or three guys very closely rated on our board.

I don't think we draft a tackle in the first round at all..! I think a second or third round RT is more along the lines of what we need. Center and guard I think is fine, and if Wang pans out then maybe put wood at center and wang at guard.. Bell seems to be doing just fine..

Spend the first 2 picks on Defense, draft a QB next year..

Round 1 - DE

Round 2 - LB

Round 3 - RT

Round 4 - LB

Round 4 - TE

Round 5 - Tackle for Depth

Round 6 - DE

Round 7 - Best avaliable

Thank you! Pass rush in a 3-4 is generated from the OLB position. Ours are terrible. We need 2 OLBs and a DE. The Defensive front 7 is weak because our LBs consistently get caught up on the line and don't generate a pass rush. Also, our ILBs need to do a much better job stuffing the run. I haven't been very impressed with Dwan Edwards this year so we could definitely use at least one DE, but not before round 3 IMO. If Luck is gone I would prefer they go OLB, QB, DE, RT

I'd say 2 OLB's and a ILB to play beside Puz, then a LDE. It all depends on how guys perform in the Bowls, individual workouts, and the combine.

If Luck decides to stay in school, there is WR from Georgia the kid catches passes 10 feet in the air A.J. Green He would be a great addition to our WR core. He is a top 5-10 talent. Giving us Evans, Johnson and Green, He is a Dez Bryant type player, a game changer and able to go get the ball. I see him replacing Roscoe, who while he had a decent year this tear, isn't the best punt returner anymore. I think we could trade Roscoe for a 4th or 5th.

If Luck decides to stay in school, there is WR from Georgia the kid catches passes 10 feet in the air A.J. Green He would be a great addition to our WR core. He is a top 5-10 talent. Giving us Evans, Johnson and Green, He is a Dez Bryant type player, a game changer and able to go get the ball. I see him replacing Roscoe, who while he had a decent year this tear, isn't the best punt returner anymore. I think we could trade Roscoe for a 4th or 5th.

matt millen?