The puritans are taking over the country.

Steely Dan

Barrow teacher fired over Facebook still not back in classroom

Link

It seems obvious that this is sooooooo effing stupid it's beyond belief. It's amazing how one idiotic person can have so much influence. If 5 people write to a TV company complaining about something that has a 20 million audience the TV execs have strokes.

The Principal should have sent an email back stating;

Dear Mrs. U. Needamidol,

This is what I can offer you. In order for me to discipline this teacher I will need you to agree to take a lie detector test. There will be two questions.

The first will be if you or any of your family members have ever had a beverage containing alcohol in front of your child. The second question will be; Have you ever sworn in front of your child and/or let them watch or read anything with swear words in them.

If you pass the test I will pay for it and fire the teacher.

However, if you fail the test YOU will pay for the lie detector test and you'll wear a sandwich board walking up and down the sidewalk in front of the school for two hours that says; I'm a huge hypocrite and a JERK.

Unless you agree to these terms I am going to ignore your email and any other emails you send me in the future.

The Principal.

Link

It seems obvious that this is sooooooo effing stupid it's beyond belief. It's amazing how one idiotic person can have so much influence. If 5 people write to a TV company complaining about something that has a 20 million audience the TV execs have strokes.

Dear Mrs. U. Needamidol,

This is what I can offer you. In order for me to discipline this teacher I will need you to agree to take a lie detector test. There will be two questions.

The first will be if you or any of your family members have ever had a beverage containing alcohol in front of your child. The second question will be; Have you ever sworn in front of your child and/or let them watch or read anything with swear words in them.

However, if you fail the test YOU will pay for the lie detector test and you'll wear a sandwich board walking up and down the sidewalk in front of the school for two hours that says; I'm a huge hypocrite and a JERK.

Unless you agree to these terms I am going to ignore your email and any other emails you send me in the future.

The Principal.

That is absurd. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes. At my old job, when we hired people, we were supposed to check their Facebook/MySpace pages...I never felt right about it...one of the reasons I don't work there anymore. The Austin Police is in the news this week, because they are requiring prospective officers to supply their Facebook identities and pass words, along with other "social networks". This is so insane. I don't use Facebook, for just this reason...could you imagine if everyone here had to let their employer know their identity on TSW, and all of their posts were sifted through? Things are getting out of hand...I hope this woman gets her job back, and makes the Harper Valley PTA pay heavily...

That is absurd. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes. At my old job, when we hired people, we were supposed to check their Facebook/MySpace pages...I never felt right about it...one of the reasons I don't work there anymore. The Austin Police is in the news this week, because they are requiring prospective officers to supply their Facebook identities and pass words, along with other "social networks". This is so insane. I don't use Facebook, for just this reason...could you imagine if everyone here had to let their employer know their identity on TSW, and all of their posts were sifted through? Things are getting out of hand...I hope this woman gets her job back, and makes the Harper Valley PTA pay heavily...

The courts are starting to sift through the legalities and illegalities of this issue;

Link

It’s now a little safer to complain about your boss on Facebook

An ambulance company's social media policy is being challenged by the National Labor Relations Board, which claims the company's firing of an employee that complained about her boss on Facebook violates her First Amendment rights.

A federal agency ruled today that it was illegal for a company in Connecticut to fire a woman who lewdly criticized her supervisor on Facebook. In what could easily be the first of many cases of its kind, the National Labor Relations Board argued that Dawnmarie Souza’s Facebook rant against her boss was well within her First Amendment rights....

This is another article on the same case.

Here's another that happened locally...

Fired for Facebook?

Personally, I look at it like this, if you are not willing to say something in front of everyone you work with, then why would you post it to your wall and leave your Facebook profile open for everyone to see? Set it to private so only your friends can see it.

Part of the issue is that the "line" between the workplace and private life is completely blurred. I think it is entirely wrong to troll the internet looking for reasons to fire or not hire someone. At the same time, people have to realize that what they post out on these sites is far from private.

I could understand this a hell of a lot more if she were doing something illicit. Alcohol is legal for someone her age. Enjoying it isn't a crime. I do, however, believe that if I were a teacher I would be sure to disguise my identity if I just HAD to use facebook.

Simple solution

Don't be a dumbass and post your life on Facebook®.

Agreed. Especially if you are posting complaints about your boss, coworkers, etc. While I don't agree it should be a fire-able offense, it's just plain stupid. if you are using your real name for your account.

Now, the teacher posting pics with drinks in her hand is a different story. That is perfectly acceptable and only a moron would think to use it against her. The only negative thing there is that she actually has, and uses, a Facebook account.

Agreed. Especially if you are posting complaints about your boss, coworkers, etc. While I don't agree it should be a fire-able offense, it's just plain stupid. if you are using your real name for your account.

Now, the teacher posting pics with drinks in her hand is a different story. That is perfectly acceptable and only a moron would think to use it against her. The only negative thing there is that she actually has, and uses, a Facebook account.

I wouldn't call the person a moron at all. It's clearly someone with a vendetta against the girl. Hell, I almost want to call the person a genius just based on the fact that complaining about that ridiculously tame picture actually got the job done.

Simple solution

Don't be a dumbass and post your life on Facebook®.

OR, Use the opposite method of keeping your profile private and NOT adding people you know only through work.

If she was going to add parents and students, then it's her fault for not keeping the profile strictly professional.

However, if this is someone else (ex-boyfriend?), and the students had no access to those pics, then it shouldnt be an issue.

I know people that have 2 profiles (1 personal, 1 professional).

There are also tools included on Facebook that allow you to put people in different categories, and then set access to pics/posts/etc. by category.

Point is, people should be held accountable for what they make PUBLIC and what they show everyone. But if they have taken the measures to assure stuff stays private, then its none of the Employer's business.

Edit: also, the BIGGEST lesson here: never underestimate how stupid GA school districts can be. they are the worst.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I wouldn't call the person a moron at all. It's clearly someone with a vendetta against the girl. Hell, I almost want to call the person a genius just based on the fact that complaining about that ridiculously tame picture actually got the job done.

Not sure what you mean. The person who complained about her, or the person who decided this was enough to fire her? The person who actually fired her based on this info is probably a moron, IMO. And I have a feeling a good lawyer could cause some real problems for that person.

As for the person issuing the complaint, I wouldn't exactly call him/her a genius, either. Filing trivial complaints against someone you don't like doesn't exactly take too much intelligence. The only reason it worked in this case is because the administrator in charge was a moron.

Link

Dear Mrs. U. Needamidol,

The Principal.

Another mystery quickly and incorrectly solved. Right from the article:

In August 2009, the then 24-year-old resigned from her job at Apalachee High School

From that you derive your headline of:

Nice sleuthing.

Anyway, if you had kids would you want their teacher to promote alcohol to them? How about pot? Coke? Crack? Meth?

Losers are losers. We can't root them out of our society altogether, but we can sure stop them from being in positions of influence over kids.

The article also says he Facebook page was private so maybe she posthumously reported herself to set up the law suit.

Here's another that happened locally...

Fired for Facebook?

Personally, I look at it like this, if you are not willing to say something in front of everyone you work with, then why would you post it to your wall and leave your Facebook profile open for everyone to see? Set it to private so only your friends can see it.

Waaaah! Attention whore gets attention and find she doesn't like it! Waaaaaah!

\

I just don't understand some people. ("Don't understand some people", of course, being a euphemism for "wish I had the opportunity to hit them over the head with a baseball bat".)

Not sure what you mean. The person who complained about her, or the person who decided this was enough to fire her? The person who actually fired her based on this info is probably a moron, IMO. And I have a feeling a good lawyer could cause some real problems for that person.

As for the person issuing the complaint, I wouldn't exactly call him/her a genius, either. Filing trivial complaints against someone you don't like doesn't exactly take too much intelligence. The only reason it worked in this case is because the administrator in charge was a moron.

I'm hoping the administrator is just ridiculously lazy and never actually looked at the pictures. If that picture from the story was the one in question then laziness is the only thing that can save him/her (not saving his/her job, just saving from the ridicule of being called a complete idiot).

Waaaah! Attention whore gets attention and find she doesn't like it! Waaaaaah!

\

I just don't understand some people. ("Don't understand some people", of course, being a euphemism for "wish I had the opportunity to hit them over the head with a baseball bat".)

Who said you don't? Have at it.